• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Victrix

*beard*
Loved the ending. Can't wait for a sequel.

Sterling first outing for a new studio. Lots of mishmashed elements, but nearly all of them done well.

Oddly, my least favorite part of the game was
The Tower near the end, the pseudo portal puzzles were just ass, and there were too many of them

But the rest of the game went from good to great. I was really impressed with the cutscene work. It all should have been so cheesy, but the VA was great, and the script was suitably comic bookish.

Good stuff.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ricker said:
Damn the Black Throne...ok I did the first part,went back to Azrael and he keeps telling me now to redirect the beams....but there`s no beams where I am,completly stomped on what to do here now as well(I got the item you get in this level)...standing in the room with him,and the big blocks turning slowly,like my brain ;P ;)

You need to go to a another tower and bring a second beam. Look for a door, and use the spinning blocks ot find it.

Yes the
portal
puzzles were badly done...it's perhaps the only part of the game where I felt that they dropped the ball. Not only are there two many of them...but a thorough tutorial is never given. To complete some of them you have to use some fairly advanced maneuvers which are barely even hinted at.

see5harp

I thought those were some of the better puzzles. Because they basically tell you exactly where you can and can't put a portal, I think it worked fine.

ZealousD

So right now my Ruin is riding around in circles in the other room while I post on GAF.

Wooo for crappy achievements!

Just killed the first dungeon boss but was wondering is there a way to see how much health these bosses have? I didn't know if I was doing it any damage TBH cause it took a while for her to go down... though I was keeping my distance by using the throwing cross :)

Currently at the fourth dungeon.
Fun game, but there's just something lacking with all the puzzles and dungeon.

I guess I want it to be more like Zelda (haven't played one in a LONG while), but the game is something quite different.

My only complaint so far:
- Badly designed overworld. The graphics are pretty, but the layouts are mostly huge with lots of empty spaces, and it's all connected with boring tunnels/sewers.

Love the art style though.

ZealousD

dk_ said:
Just beat
Straga

How much more in hours?

If you're just rushing straight through, you're nearly done. If you're going to go on a collectible hunt, might take several more hours.

Macattk15

Game is very fun. I need to stop looking at bullshots of games before I buy them though and getting my hopes up.

War certainly needs some AA. Gameplay is fun as hell though.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for making this thread as I would have otherwise missed out on a really enjoyable game. Beat it yesterday and am absolutely jazzed at the possibilities present for the sequel.

Ricker

ZealousD said:
You need to go to a another tower and bring a second beam. Look for a door, and use the spinning blocks ot find it.

Another tower somewhere else you mean or backtrack in there?...I hope it`s not one of those huge door puzzles because I hate them.

Firestorm

Puzzles were easy if you played Portal. Which you should have!
Ricker said:
Another tower somewhere else you mean or backtrack in there?...I hope it`s not one of those huge door puzzles because I hate them.
Look around. A few portal circles are available now. Use those to get higher and climb on the spinning rock thing.

Flipside

It's really starting to annoy me that you start with only 3 health bars after auto restarting. I go into a fight with 5 bars, die, and then I have to keep trying to do it with 3 :/ It doesn't make sense. Now I just keep saving manually when I get full health and reload from there.

People weren't kidding when they said difficulty jumps up at the black throne. I had to reload a save before the first tower boss so I could manually save full health before leaving the tower. That fight was just brutal. 2 witches, badass monster, etc etc... Wil stuff get A LOT harder? Or is this about it? (hope so :))

Flipside said:
It's really starting to annoy me that you start with only 3 health bars after auto restarting. I go into a fight with 5 bars, die, and then I have to keep trying to do it with 3 :/ It doesn't make sense. Now I just keep saving manually when I get full health and reload from there.
Guess I am lucky that it only bothered me for not having a full health bar, I found every fight to be doable with only 3 bars.

Dai Kaiju

neorej said:
IIRC you are in a trainyard of sorts, if not, disregard this post

you'll have a red crystal growth on the top floor and inert bombs on the lower level (just above the waterlevel), activate the gaspipes with a switch, there's one already active and burning, throw the crossblades by targeting the lit one first and then the non-burning ones, you might have to do it in two steps, I'm not sure. Throw the inert bomb at the red crystals and activate it with the lit gaspipe. Get back to the topfloor and pass through the just created opening.

Where the hell is the switch though?? Is it underwater? I've been combing that damn place for like an hour.

John

Firestorm said:
Puzzles were easy if you played Portal. Which you should have!
Yeah, the Throne wasn't hard (only combat trick is solved by using the chain on the witches), and the portal puzzles were neat, but the portal colors were strange -- the portals change colors according to which one you most recently shot out. Confused me at first.

The only real problem with the Throne is that it's an ugly level. Compare it to the naturally/mechanically gorgeous Willows or Cathedral and it makes for a mar on the game as a whole. I'm not looking forward to doing that level again on my hard playthrough.

Flipside said:

People weren't kidding when they said difficulty jumps up at the black throne. I had to reload a save before the first tower boss so I could manually save full health before leaving the tower. That fight was just brutal. 2 witches, badass monster, etc etc... Wil stuff get A LOT harder? Or is this about it? (hope so :))

Nah, that's actually the hardest the combat gets in the game.

ZealousD

Flipside said:

Use your wrath and your chaos form liberally. There's only like 2 fights in the Black Throne that are that tough.

Lostconfused said:
Guess I am lucky that it only bothered me for not having a full health bar, I found every fight to be doable with only 3 bars.

does no one buy extra health? i make sure to have a extra one for really tough parts.

Baker

Banned
How long is the final tower? I'm at the last "get me their heart" boss (
the spider
). I can't decide if I should buy the game or just rent it for another 2-5 days.

Flipside

Yeah. That trinket that refills your wrath is really handy here. It felt pretty good when I beat that fight though. Apocalyptic frustrates me sometimes but the difficulty sorta fits with the badassness of the Horseman :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Baker said:
How long is the final tower? I'm at the last "get me their heart" boss (
the spider
). I can't decide if I should buy the game or just rent it for another 2-5 days.

The Black Throne is the longest dungeon and there is a bit of game after you get out of it.

ZealousD

TrAcEr_x90 said:
so far the only enemies to give me trouble are those damn fat fire guys. And they exploade when you kill em too.

Crossblade makes them easy.

Ricker

Wow really not digging the puzzles in Black Throne at all...i`ve reached the other tower with the big blocks with faces on them and those 3 blue chained little alcoves and 2 mirrors that I guess I have to point to the blue thing on top of the door in the back so it opens...but there`s no beam or whatever to reflect...annoying and no I didn`t finish portal,stopped half way through because i`m not to patient with trial and error stuff like this anymore...someone help me out of this awful dungeon one more time please hehe...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ricker said:
Wow really not digging the puzzles in Black Throne at all...i`ve reached the other tower with the big blocks with faces on them and those 3 blue chained little alcoves and 2 mirrors that I guess I have to point to the blue thing on top of the door in the back so it opens...but there`s no beam or whatever to reflect...annoying and no I didn`t finish portal,stopped half way through because i`m not to patient with trial and error stuff like this anymore...someone help me out of this awful dungeon one more time please hehe...

You dont need the mirrors yet. Just move the blocks so that you can get on top of the highest alcove when its rising to the top.

Flipside said:
It's really starting to annoy me that you start with only 3 health bars after auto restarting. I go into a fight with 5 bars, die, and then I have to keep trying to do it with 3 :/ It doesn't make sense. Now I just keep saving manually when I get full health and reload from there. [/spoiler]

The really cool thing is the soul chests disappear once opened. They don't respawn when you get killed. That drove me nuts in the Black Throne dungeon.

edgefusion

Probably been said already but I've not noticed it for any other PS3 games, if you hit square while looking at your Darksiders trophies it organises them into core-game/DLC content.

Baker

Banned
Danneee said:
And blocking.
:lol

I'm playing on Apocalyptic and the only time I've blocked is during that one challenge. Since it's relegated to stupid RB, I never think to use it. I just dash all over the place and take my bumps (and yes I know dash and block are the same button).

Baker said:
:lol

I'm playing on Apocalyptic and the only time I've blocked is during that one challenge. Since it's relegated to stupid RB, I never think to use it. I just dash all over the place and take my bumps (and yes I know dash and block are the same button).
Depends entirely on how you play. Some fights I managed to get through with out a hit because I countered/blocked every attack.
TrAcEr_x90 said:
From what I saw you cant block those guys hard hits?
Only their fire attack is unblockable.

Edit: The real problem is that holding the bumper doesn't trigger the blocking state. If War can go into a block he will and holding RB will maintain it, but if you hold RB and War didn't start blocking then it does nothing so if you got accidentally tapped or interrupted you have to hit RB again to start blocking. So you can even block in the middle of getting hit by a combo its just that you have to time the button press right so that you start blocking but don't let go by accident and get hit.

KevinCow

Banned
Ricker said:
no I didn`t finish portal,stopped half way through because i`m not to patient with trial and error stuff like this anymore...

If you were playing Portal by trial and error, no wonder you got frustrated.

Ok, where is the room with like the 8 hanging vine things and you need to bomb the center of the room. I need to get back there, but cant remember where it is and how to get there. Any help?

Ricker

_tetsuo_ said:
You dont need the mirrors yet. Just move the blocks so that you can get on top of the highest alcove when its rising to the top.

Yeah,I just noticed that after moving the blocks around and all,I have the key for up there but i`m just missing one of them going just a little higher so I can get up there...took a break for now,I`ll reset the blocks like they where at the start and give it another go later on...

mjc

gamerecks said:
Ok, where is the room with like the 8 hanging vine things and you need to bomb the center of the room. I need to get back there, but cant remember where it is and how to get there. Any help?

I'm pretty sure its on the way to the Ashlands.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
gamerecks said:

Its in The Ashlands where you stopped the drill and dropped down the hole it left.

Tonza

I just beat
Griever
. So far Im really loving this game.

It's almost as big of a surprise as Batman: AA and Demon's Souls were last year. The studios that made all these games were really not on my radar before.

What I really like about the game is surprisingly the art and set pieces.
Uthane's forge
was really great. I say surprisingly since I wasn't really liking the style of the game at all before playing.

I have Bayonetta coming this week too so gaming goodness continues. :)

berva

Neo Member
Having an absolute blast with this game, just beat The Stygian boss which was a fun boss battle. On my way now to get the final heart before hitting the tower! so much fun.:D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Reading reviews for this game is odd. Everyone really seems to come down on it for using elements from other games. However, the game seems to use them well to create a fun game. If lack of originality were as big of a complaint as these reviews indicate then reviews scores from the past 4-5 years would look very different.

I'm going to give it a run through later this week but is the game just a mish mash (a decent/good one) as these reviews make them out to be?

roxya

Just started a few hours ago. Beat the Twilight Cathedral. I don't really like the combat, but the puzzling/platforming, VA, character/world design and story has already blown me away.

bdouble

Don't you know that it the game has done the same thing for 2-4 iterations they get a pass in originality.

Just started the game and it's fun. So far not even to th first dungeon. I am playing apocolyptic though and dieing a ton. Trying to dodge but it's those damn big guys with the flaming fist that keep taking me out. What do ya do with those. One combo and they can take a 2/3 bar.

Corto

Just started and played for a little bit, coming directly from GoW Collection the blocking only from a stationery position is getting on my nerves... I will just have to spam dash with the big flaming dudes I guess. The art and graphics are a surprise as I was prepared to be a little underwhelmed but no so much in reality, the water is really pleasing to watch even...

Canova

Banned
This game is DA BOMB!!

Just finished off Stygian, that level is very satisfying. It's an all-out brawl level.

Riding the red horse drive-by-ing the worms is wicked!!!

Amir0x said:
Man Black Throne, now this is a good Zelda dungeon. This whole dungeon is badass.

Bolded for truth!

I don't get all the hate for The Black Throne. It turns the game on it's ear and focuses on the
puzzle element rather than pure action mayhem.
Awesome change of pace.

Top Bottom