• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

orion434

jonhuz said:
Just grabbed the overlord one thanks, the last solider artifact is killing me >.<

Do you have the enchancement that shows all items on the mini-map? I basically went back to each area and looked at the map.

There was one in the ashlands that I had to facepalm myself... it was a ledge that lead to a few Grapple-points and while walking there to the left is some Demonic Growth... just climb-up and and Artifact is there.

The Ashlands in general is annoying while trying to search for items... that Overlord Artifact didn't show on my map because I hadn't gone to that portion yet.

Minamu said:
I'm stuck :( In the first big room of the second dungeon, there's a bomb I can throw, lots of water & there were some green insect enemies flying around. I have no idea where to go :( I'm stuck at the bottom in the water with no apparent way to go. There's a few ice walls to break & one fire wall as I mentioned but I have no way of destroying either of them as far as I know. And I can't see any way up either.

If I remember correctly, you need to
light the crossblade with fire and target the broken gas pipes. Once these are lit up you can light the bomb with it after you put it on the red ice.

Dyno

Brought my copy to a friends house so he could see the game. PS3 with a 60' Sony TV. By the Charred Council that was one good looking game! I was only so-so with the tutorial levels on a mere 42' TV but this title delivers on the bigger screen.

Canova

Banned
Minamu said:
I'm stuck :( In the first big room of the second dungeon, there's a bomb I can throw, lots of water & there were some green insect enemies flying around. I have no idea where to go :( I'm stuck at the bottom in the water with no apparent way to go. There's a few ice walls to break & one fire wall as I mentioned but I have no way of destroying either of them as far as I know. And I can't see any way up either.

submerge and swim into one of the tunnels. One of the tunnel should have an opening where you can climb up on the other side where you'll find ropes to go across

is it just me, or does the camera seem a little too close to War? Feels like the field of view is kind of... claustrophobic. That's about the only real complaint I have about this game though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Agreed about the camera. Especially when jumping.

Lostconfused said:
Ah finally found a perfect place to farm weapon levels. Its in Iron Canopy, its a room filled with 15 or 20 spiders right next to a level streaming checkpoint so they respawn every time you cross it.

Edit: Ok so it took 30 to 35 minutes to level the tremor gauntlet from level 3 to 4.

I think I just got to that dungeon. Can you be a little more specific about where this room is? Do I need to beat the dungeon first? Thanks. (Probably a good time to get that trophy for the 10 kills with one blade storm attack, right?) Wish I had actually been powering that attack up. It's radius is so tiny...

I'm about 3 hours in so far and this game is officially awesome. Sure, it's a blatant ripoff of God of War crossed with Zelda, but I challenge anyone to convince me that's a bad thing.

Love the artwork and atmosphere as well.

Mejilan said:
I think I just got to that dungeon. Can you be a little more specific about where this room is? Do I need to beat the dungeon first? Thanks. (Probably a good time to get that trophy for the 10 kills with one blade storm attack, right?) Wish I had actually been powering that attack up. It's radius is so tiny...
Just clear the dungeon first and get the legendary enhancement in there. The room I was talking about is right next to entrance to boss' lair. Yeah I also got the 10 kill trophy there, but I did it after I finished the game.

Canova

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Just clear the dungeon first and get the legendary enhancement in there. The room I was talking about is right next to entrance to boss' lair. Yeah I also got the 10 kill trophy there, but I did it after I finished the game.

There is one other room, much earlier in the stage, where you can soul/experience spam.

It's in the room where you have to slow time to cross the beam to the other side to grab a key.

If you go out and re-enter the room, the little spiders will respawn

Mejilan

Lostconfused said:

Awesome, thanks a lot! Both of you!

So basically you have to find/level everything before the last boss? I was under the impression that you could grind when the game was over.

John

ThirdEngine said:
So basically you have to find/level everything before the last boss? I was under the impression that you could grind when the game was over.
Well if you load the game after the credits roll it puts you right before the last boss. You can talk to
Azrael
and watch all the final cutscenes if you want.

TheFallen

ThirdEngine said:
If you finish the game, you can hit "Continue Game" and it will load up the part before the final boss anyway. Same thing.

Skilletor

I killed so many more pigeons than Ulthane, it was ridiculous. That gun (forget the name) was so strong!

In the dungeon with the Griever now. Still having lots of fun, especially after I've spent some souls earning more moves.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Minamu said:

You need to swim under and around to start a crank. It will light a fire that you have to bring across the room to blow that wall. But ya, swim under, go up, theres a cable you swing across, lever, then go back down and transfer the fire. I think thats how it goes.

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone try setting their PS3 to 720p to compare it to 1080p? I may try this when I get home, but I'm curious to see how the results compare.

Mejilan

What's supposed to be the difference?
I have both 720p and 1080p checked in my PS3's settings, but my TV's native resolution is 1080p. Will the PS3 automatically select 1080p, in this case? Does it depend on the game?

(I've had my new TV, my first HDTV, for little more than a week).

thatJohann

I hate long games. Ive gone from LOVING this game to now HATING it because its too fucking long.

Clocked in about 14 hours and still am not finished. Now I have to f**ing backtrack thru all levels to collect pieces to build a goddamn sword.

Lenght ruined the game for me.

P.S. wait till you get to the portal gun levels. It all goes very downhill from there with the stupid constant repetitive puzzles.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
HybridXL said:
I hate long games. Ive gone from LOVING this game to now HATING it because its too fucking long.

Clocked in about 14 hours and still am not finished. Now I have to f**ing backtrack thru all levels to collect pieces to build a goddamn sword.

P.S. wait till you get to the portal gun levels. It all goes very downhill from there with the stupid constant repetitive puzzles.

This is why we cant have nice things.

Ricker

Is there a walkthrough somewhere on the net yet so I can get the fuck out of the Black Throne area...jesus christ,this is not Portal Vigil,I mean i`m all for puzzles but this area is just ridiculous...same Boss fight over and over,timed crap,annoying NPC that keeps saying the same thing over and over,why even bother putting a button to talk to him,it makes him say the same thing still anyway...completly killed the momentum and fun I had with this game in there...

So yeah,I`ve got the key to open the door way up in that room Azrael keeps saying over and over,``one final beam and I will be free`` but how the hell do I get up there??? please before I go completly nuts. :lol

HybridXL said:

Sounds like Zelda alright.

HybridXL said:

I normally agree. Uncharted 2 was a perfect length for me. But this game is really giving me the feeling i had when i was much younger playing ocarina of time.

This game however brings in such cool and different lookin environments every few hours I am pretty impressed so far. Im in the hollows with the bugs and such, and i think its been pretty fun so far. Others seem to not like it.

Amir0x

Banned
For all those having problems finding stuff, there is a legendary equip that allows you to see where ALL treasure and artifacts are on the map. It's in Black Throne dungeon, you need to portal your way up over a chasm and there it is in a treasure chest.

I'm sure most of you know about it, but if you don't it's very helpful for completionists.

Ricker said:
Is there a walkthrough somewhere on the net yet so I can get the fuck out of the Black Throne area...jesus christ,this is not Portal Vigil,I mean i`m all for puzzles but this area is just ridiculous...same Boss fight over and over,timed crap,annoying NPC that keeps saying the same thing over and over,why even bother putting a button to talk to him,it makes him say the same thing still anyway...completly killed the momentum and fun I had with this game in there...

So yeah,I`ve got the key to open the door way up in that room Azrael keeps saying over and over,``one final beam and I will be free`` but how the hell do I get up there??? please before I go completly nuts. :lol

I have been looking for a walkthrough as well, IGN says it will be up soon. I might be done playing by then though.

Oneself

revolverjgw said:
is it just me, or does the camera seem a little too close to War? Feels like the field of view is kind of... claustrophobic. That's about the only real complaint I have about this game though.

True, after about 45mins I got used to it though...

Finally got the horse BTW, it looks SO awesome. And the last horses I controlled in a game were in SOTC and AC/AC2.. damn this one feels great and responsive after that!!:lol

.nimrod

Amir0x said:
For all those having problems finding stuff, there is a legendary equip that allows you to see where ALL treasure and artifacts are on the map. It's in Black Throne dungeon, you need to portal your way up over a chasm and there it is in a treasure chest.

I'm sure most of you know about it, but if you don't it's very helpful for completionists.

i just went back to the Black Thorne to get that item but know i can't figure a way out of the dungeon O_O

see5harp

Ricker said:

HINT: the developers did not place portals for no reason. Look around at ground level for some portals with odd placement. Now look up.

Ricker

see5harp said:
HINT: the developers did not place portals for no reason. Look around at ground level for some portals with odd placement. Now look up.

I was looking around for an hour,i just don`t get it and frankly tired of trying to figure it out,if you could explain it better,it would be appreciated ;)

MrOctober

Banned
I started playing this game last night because I'm excited about a decent Zelda clone, but I really suck at the combat. I died at the first sort of mini boss. The guy who you fight and then you have the puking gargoyles like 15 minutes into the game. I'm getting my ass kicked all over the place, is it supposed to be the type of game that makes you refill your health a ton or do I just totally suck? I've never been a huge action game guy but I did beat God of War 1 and 2 with relative ease. What am I doing wrong? I try blocking and dashing but I still seem to get roughed up. Does leveling your weapons help a lot or again is it just that I'm awful?

Corto

MrOctober said:
I started playing this game last night because I'm excited about a decent Zelda clone, but I really suck at the combat. I died at the first sort of mini boss. The guy who you fight and then you have the puking gargoyles like 15 minutes into the game. I'm getting my ass kicked all over the place, is it supposed to be the type of game that makes you refill your health a ton or do I just totally suck? I've never been a huge action game guy but I did beat God of War 1 and 2 with relative ease. What am I doing wrong? I try blocking and dashing but I still seem to get roughed up. Does leveling your weapons help a lot or again is it just that I'm awful?

In that stage of the game you still have your powers so you can assume the Chaos form and you will kick their asses... LB + RT if you are on the Xbox /L1 + R2 if you are on the PS3.

see5harp

Ricker said:
I was looking around for an hour,i just don`t get it and frankly tired of trying to figure it out,if you could explain it better,it would be appreciated ;)

On the ground floor, near Azrael you'll notice two portals in a little nook, one on the wall, one on the floor right underneath. You'll need to shoot yourself up with the one on the ground.

MrOctober

Banned
Corto said:
In that stage of the game you still have your powers so you can assume the Chaos form and you will kick their asses... LB + RT if you are on the Xbox /L1 + R2 if you are on the PS3.

Sorry I meant after that. Like when I have no powers.

Corto

MrOctober said:
Sorry I meant after that. Like when I have no powers.

Oh Sorry then! Then dashing and locking is the answer, I find blocking a little cumbersome to use because it's only activated if you're static...

Arnie

Ok so I have just
killed Griever and received the Chrono-thing from Samael.
How far of the way through in a percentage am I?

I bought the game from Gamestation and was hoping to finish it in time for my 10 day return so I can keep the credit for MAG or ME2 but I am wondering if that is actually possible considering the game's length. If it isn't I guess I'll just have to keep it for a while.

TheFallen

HybridXL said:

I sure hope you realized the world map shows you where each of the fragments are. It doesn't take long to go get them all. Just take the serpent holes and go to each. You'll have to kill a few things on the way but at least you're not going into dungeons to do so.

obaidr

Banned
got this today and played for hours. I just finished GoW Collection and I must say the graphics in this game suck. The IQ is really really bad. GoW2 looks so much better then this and the image is so clear. Is the IQ on 360 so bad as well?

see5harp

obaidr said:
got this today and played for hours. I just finished GoW Collection and I must say the graphics in this game suck. The IQ is really really bad. GoW2 looks so much better then this and the image is so clear. Is the IQ on 360 so bad as well?

Aw hail no.

Corto

obaidr said:

Coincidentally I've also came to Darksiders from the GoW Collection and although GoW 2 is really stunning considering it's a brushed up PS2 original game, Darksiders graphics feel really good all over (I've already complimented earlier the water effects) and in no way they are much worse than GoW2. And it's a free-roaming, free-camera game so that is a little more demanding in the graphics department.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
obaidr said:

:lol

bdouble

Alright so just in the first dungeon but messing around with combat and WTF at blocking and countering. I got sick of dashing around so I thought I'd try to do this a bit instead.

There is absolutely no way to tell if you can block an attack or not. Or Ill go into a counter and the enemies second hit in the combo hits me. (those armor wearing knight ice axe things). Does anyone use these? Is it just trial and error and my weak point in games of looking for patterns and move indicators? Sometimes War blocks sometimes they take out half my health.

glaurung

Got my game today and just spent some time with it.

Started out on Apocalyptic from the beginning, missed the helicopter trophy and eventually got as far as the flying section.

Whoever thought it a good idea to disable the inverted Y-axis control for the flying beast needs to be punched in the groin. After years of flying sims and now I cannot properly play this damn thing.

I really like it so far. The difficulty took some getting used to, especially when fighting the exploding and fire-throwing demons, but after some upgrades to the fighting it gets easier. Character design is awesome. Level design and overall art style is epic. All voice actors sound like they have imbibed vinegar, but I like it.

Amir0x

Banned
holy shit @
Straga's
death animation

:lol @ END OF BLACK THRONE spoilers...
shooting a portal into his skull, jumping into said portal and eviscerating his brain from inside out

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amir0x said:
holy shit @
Straga's
death animation

:lol @ END OF BLACK THRONE spoilers...
shooting a portal into his skull, jumping into said portal and eviscerating his brain from inside out

HOW LONG WILL YOU RUN FROM STRAAAAAGA??

STRAAGA WILL PUNISH YOU FOR THAT!

Ridley327

Yeah, that was pretty much the best boss death ever. Kratos is going to have to work overtime to do something that awesome in GoW3.

Chris R

Combat in the Giant Bomb quick look looked repetitive and seemed like it went on forever for each enemy. Does this get better as you upgrade your weapon and skills or do new enemies with more health show up?

Top Bottom