• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
_tetsuo_ said:
It compares quite favorably to Twilight Princess. As far as the best Zelda's go that kind of goes without saying.
Why do you think it compares favorably to TP?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh, I can't believe I'm finally stuck.

Trying to get the Armageddon Shard in the Choking Grounds. Can't figure out how in the sam hill I'm suppose to get to the top levels of that building. It's probably something stupid obvious that I'm overlooking...

Edit: Yup. Stupid me.
Forgot the Abyssal Chain could connect to demonic growth. :lol

Well finished the game on apocalyptic. Have 5 achievements/trophies to get before I get my first ever platinum on ps3.

Edit: Thinking about it my problem with is, besides the fact that I apparently don't really enjoy old school adventure games, is that the ending was all that satisfying. It just sets up too heavily for a sequel and doesn't provide that climax at the end there is no payoff.

so ive read and seen tons of artwork on ALL horsemen. I am at the ulthane part. I really hope at some point i get to actually see them in 3D glory. And it would be even sweeter if you get to fight them. just a hope. if not, better be in the sequel cuz the comic made them look like badasses.

canova said:
Considering that this is Vigil's first game and people already mentioned it in the same sentence as Zelda is a huge compliment.

Hard to avoid mentioning something when it's one of the blueprints for the game. I'm not sure if that's the ultimate compliment, but it's certainly better than a shitty game with no ideas of its own.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was just down in Akihabara and a local import shop had the 360 version on display for demo play. I played a good 15 minutes of what I assume is the beginning of the game and impressed enough to pick up the game right then and there (the 4980 Yen price tag didn't hurt). I really liked how the game felt and the combination of action gameplay, exploration and puzzles with the cool art style was enough to pique my interest. Unfortunately I also picked up a used copy of Bayonetta while I was down there so I have to decide which I will play first.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What the hell Phil Lamar did Vulgrim's voice :lol . Dude has a serious talent for voice acting.

Y2Kev said:
Why do you think it compares favorably to TP?

Twilight Princess is my least favorite 3D Zelda game and as a whole I had more fun playing Darksiders. TP is still great but it just felt like Zelda by the numbers kinda, if that makes any sense.

KevinCow

Banned
I really wish they'd implemented a better combo system. The one in this game just... well, doesn't work. Sometimes it'll reset for no reason in the middle of a multi-hit move. The best combo I got was in one of the challenges full of zombies, where I just kept mashing B. Got to like 50-something. That should not be an effective tactic, much less more effective than actually using weapons and different combos.

They should've just aped the DMC system. Landing attacks fills up a bar different amounts based on the attack, and when it gets full it goes up a level. Except instead of using a letter grading system, they could've done x2, x3, x4, and so on (or maybe x1.5, x2, x2.5), meaning each soul you collect while the combo meter is there would be multiplied that much. Repeating a move decreases the amount it fills up the bar, so you're actually encouraged to use a variety of attacks. Getting hit drops it, either to zero or just a level or two.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nailed the second beam last night, gonna make a run for the third tonight, but goddamn this game awesome. Last year we had Rocksteady swinging at us from nowhere and now Vigil. It seems small and unknown no longer means "small scaled titles". The whole Zelda, God of War, Devil May Cry mixup works very well from start to finish. I just wish I had some more room to ride with Ruin, it just feels.... right.

I particularly like how they give you a new tool, introduce you to the basics and then mash it up with other tools. The leveldesign really works in that respect.

Some criticism though, the gun and crossblades are SEVERELY underpowered. I can understand why they do this, but combatwise the crossblades are only useful to keep an enemy at bay or lure flying enemies your way so you can insta-kill them. The gun :lol I only used it in the wormfights.
That and the godaweful tearing and texturepopups.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I just put in about an hour and fuck this game is awesome. It has a distinctly "old school" vibe to it that reminds me of gaming from the Playstation / N64 days. I love the controls and how the combat (while fairly simple) feels. The art style is also great and I am enjoying the story for what it is. The game just has a really good feel to it that is hard to describe with words.

I'm really glad that in 2010 we can still have games of this style. This probably sounds stupid, but this really feels like a gamer's game and doesn't seem like it is trying to throw in some "next-gen" gimmick just for the sake of it.

So far my only complaints are that there is a bit of screen tearing and some frame rate drops, but nothing too terrible so far. Also, how does the save system work? I went to the data tab in the options and saved my game before quitting, but will I pop out right where I saved or at the beginning of the area? Can I save pretty much anywhere in the game?

I'm going to check out Bayonetta now, but I just wanted to pop in and post my initial impressions while Bayonetta is installing. I am really looking forward to playing some more Darksiders.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Zefah said:
Ok I just put in about an hour and fuck this game is awesome. It has a distinctly "old school" vibe to it that reminds me of gaming from the Playstation / N64 days. I love the controls and how the combat (while fairly simple) feels. The art style is also great and I am enjoying the story for what it is. The game just has a really good feel to it that is hard to describe with words.

I'm really glad that in 2010 we can still have games of this style. This probably sounds stupid, but this really feels like a gamer's game and doesn't seem like it is trying to throw in some "next-gen" gimmick just for the sake of it.

So far my only complaints are that there is a bit of screen tearing and some frame rate drops, but nothing too terrible so far. Also, how does the save system work? I went to the data tab in the options and saved my game before quitting, but will I pop out right where I saved or at the beginning of the area? Can I save pretty much anywhere in the game?

I'm going to check out Bayonetta now, but I just wanted to pop in and post my initial impressions while Bayonetta is installing. I am really looking forward to playing some more Darksiders.

You'll pop up at the last checkpoint. Which are pretty numerous actually. In fact, you don't have to save your game, the auto-save function works brilliantly.

Firestorm

It's not the beginning of the dungeon like a certain game we all know at least. I just got the Lens of Truth and am on the Triforce Hunt now =/ Did they really have to copy that part? :(

ZealousD

_tetsuo_ said:
What the hell Phil Lamar did Vulgrim's voice :lol . Dude a serious talent for voice acting.

Seriously, he's crazy. Listening to Hermes, Vamp, and Vulgrim back to back and you'd never in a million years think it was the same person.

ZealousD

Firestorm said:
It's not the beginning of the dungeon like a certain game we all know at least. I just got the Lens of Truth and am on the Triforce Hunt now =/ Did they really have to copy that part? :(

Getting all the shards takes less than an hour. Probably closer to 30 minutes. As far as fetch quests go, Darksiders is tame.

Firestorm

ZealousD said:
Getting all the shards takes less than an hour. Probably closer to 30 minutes. As far as fetch quests go, Darksiders is tame.
Yeah this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Shards all seem to be right beside Vulgrim locations thankfully. Although I did miss two locations and am having to travel there now. Also stupid that it won't show you the shard on the map unless you already got Vulgrim in the location =/
Edit: Hm, or not. Wonder why I couldn't see one of them on the map.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'm trying to get the last
sword piece
but I can't find how to arrive to the location.

Been looking for more than one hour, I'm getting crazy. The one I'm missing is just above the center of the map. I know where it is because I been there wondering what that yellow thing was and how I was supposed to get to Vigil's spot as it really far (the rope, of course) but I can't find to get the way to it again.

Seriously, can someone help me here. I'm getting annoyed.

EDIT: FUCK ME. I found it, Dry road.

Amir0x

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
It compares quite favorably to Twilight Princess. As far as the best Zelda's go that kind of goes without saying.

Twilight Princess had a plethora of brilliant dungeons; Darksiders seems to have two sorta kinda good ones.

If you're simply comparing them as games, and not as Zelda games, it's certainly anyone's opinion which is better. But as a "Zelda experience", which is how I'm relating to it, it holds up rather poorly.

selig

Banned
Amir0x said:
Twilight Princess had a plethora of brilliant dungeons; Darksiders seems to have two sorta kinda good ones.

If you're simply comparing them as games, and not as Zelda games, it's certainly anyone's opinion which is better. But as a "Zelda experience", which is how I'm relating to it, it holds up rather poorly.

havent played DS, so:

Which game has the better overworld? That´s more important regarding "being a Zelda experience".

Amir0x

Banned
selig said:
havent played DS, so:

Which game has the better overworld? That´s more important regarding "being a Zelda experience".

Really? More important than dungeons!? oooooook!

In any event, the overworlds are too different to compare really. Darksider's is extremely streamlined, very "to the point", which I prefer to Twilight Princess vast, empty wastelands.

Q8D3vil

just finished it

what an amazing game

about zelda vs darksiders

i never was or i dont think i will be a zelda fan

but i enjoyed darksiders more than twilight princess
the puzzles in zelda were much more satisfying but everything else was boring and i got bored with it halfway through the game ( but i finished it anyway ). but darksiders , everything kept me interested to the end !!

plus there's is great potential in darksiders if their going to make another one

what i didn't like about darksiders is the soundtrack ( the opening was amazing but i could barely hear anything in the game )

glaurung

God damn local post service, I still haven't received my copy!

Getting seriously irritated already. At least this has offered me time to clock 32h of FFXIII and get the platinum on Burnout.

MMaRsu

Q8D3vil said:
just finished it

what an amazing game

about zelda vs darksiders

i never was or i dont think i will be a zelda fan

but i enjoyed darksiders more than twilight princess
the puzzles in zelda were much more satisfying but everything else was boring and i got bored with it halfway through the game ( but i finished it anyway ). but darksiders , everything kept me interested to the end !!

plus there's is great potential in darksiders if their going to make another one

what i didn't like about darksiders is the soundtrack ( the opening was amazing but i could barely hear anything in the game )

Should have turned down the sound effects and turned the music up. The soundtrack is great :p.

itxaka

Defeatist
I just finished it. WOW.

Awesome last boss, not cheap, even easy. Incredible game, so good.

And awesome at the end
the other 3 horsemen arriving and war "No, not alone"

Need sequel NOW.

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
What the hell Phil Lamar did Vulgrim's voice :lol . Dude has a serious talent for voice acting.

Twilight Princess is my least favorite 3D Zelda game and as a whole I had more fun playing Darksiders. TP is still great but it just felt like Zelda by the numbers kinda, if that makes any sense.

He also did Samurai Jack along with a ton of other game/anime/cartoon voices. He's got a pretty good VA career.

Dai Kaiju

Okay, i'm getting frustrated.

I'm stuck at the part immediately after the first battle with
the griever. How the hell do you drain the water? Please tell me it doesn't involve breaking the ice with the hammer, because I don't have it and there's no way for me to get back up the huge pit you jump down a while before the griever battle. There's demonic growth to climb back up, but there ice preventing you from getting out.

Q8D3vil

MMaRsu said:
Should have turned down the sound effects and turned the music up. The soundtrack is great :p.
i remember doing that but couldnt hear the music
this is my first time the home theater failed me :(

Corto

We're game! Finally...

20100111-jtu52c6x77959wkkw49kwdjhbe.gif

Dyno

Regarding bosses:

OMG The Jailer was so awesome! What a well designed, truly hideous monster. Tiamat was neat but using the bomb/fire technique was a little clumsy.

Regarding 'fetch' quests:

I'm actually loving the arenas you have to clear out for the gate guardians. There are some really interesting challenges, right up there with Ratchet & Clank arenas. Plus you get a good amount of XP to do them.

Ricker

I can`t for the life of me figure out the first set of lifting and lowering the big door with the blue turn red boomerang in the first Blac Throne room...

EYEL1NER

Ninja Face said:
Anyone else strategically opening chests/hitting the finishing move button on dudes for that brief moment of immunity? :lol
Hehehehe, I know what you mean about the finishing moves :lol. I didn't know that opening chest gives you immunity though, I'm alway worried that I am going to go to open one and get hit in the middle of opening it. I guess it's not like GoW where you get knocked outta opening one.

orion434

Ricker said:
I can`t for the life of me figure out the first set of lifting and lowering the big door with the blue turn red boomerang in the first Blac Throne room...

The Black Throne in gerneral is one confusing Dungeon... almost Water Temple level of Frustration.

EekTheKat

I'm getting a lot of forced quit (3 beeps) when I exit the game on the PS3. It seems to be related to after playing for a while and unlocking/entering a new area.

If I play for a couple hours, unlocking a new area in that time, if I exit to the main menu and use the XMB quit option my PS3 seems to restart itself after 3 beeps.

Just beat the game.

Game is definitely AAA...the only thing that holds it back are technical issues. The puzzles, the pacing, combat and to a lesser extent even the story all hold up really well.

Sign me up for Darksiders 2.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dai Kaiju said:
Okay, i'm getting frustrated.

I'm stuck at the part immediately after the first battle with
the griever. How the hell do you drain the water? Please tell me it doesn't involve breaking the ice with the hammer, because I don't have it and there's no way for me to get back up the huge pit you jump down a while before the griever battle. There's demonic growth to climb back up, but there ice preventing you from getting out.

IIRC you are in a trainyard of sorts, if not, disregard this post

you'll have a red crystal growth on the top floor and inert bombs on the lower level (just above the waterlevel), activate the gaspipes with a switch, there's one already active and burning, throw the crossblades by targeting the lit one first and then the non-burning ones, you might have to do it in two steps, I'm not sure. Throw the inert bomb at the red crystals and activate it with the lit gaspipe. Get back to the topfloor and pass through the just created opening.

Canova

Banned
I'm glad that the majority of people who've played it like the game. Hopefully Vigil gets this message, we want sequel.

I'm at work, can't wait to go home play this game. But on the other hand I don't want it to end.

Dazzyman

I havent been able to get into games since xmas day so had a break. After Bayonetta JPN finished and I tried God of War 1 and 2 xmas day I thought meh.

Booted this for first time yesterday and for 1st hour thought it was going to be another cut out generic 3rd person rpg. Thought action was abit generic and God of War whack a mole combat (used to love that as well!) but near the hour mark when it started being indoor it just turned into a cracking game.

I still cant see the Zelda reference it reminds me more of Soulr Reaver with God of War combat till the buffs and weapons start to come. It starts getting some great items/weapons and mobs to fight after that and next time I blinked 3hours had gone past. Its abit easy though (playing on apoc hardest level) as you can just juggle em into the air then go to town for most of em. Im not keen on the lock system I hardly use it seems too clunky and easier to not use it so can jump and flank em and the controls sometimes dont work (guards refused to enable a few times when Im stood still thought it was pad so swapped and it aint).

Loads very quickly on PS3 and sounds fantastic (7.1). Has 1080p support if you force it. Graphics are abit gen 1 so far but their fine.

Game itself Id give 8/10 so far and it has a very good voiced story.

Well I've gotten almost 11 hours into the game. I'm at
the Worm fight after you just get Ruin
and I have to say that I'm loving this game. It really is like God of War and Zelda had a baby and it made a game that looks kind of like World of Warcraft but prettier. Also with a little Prince of Persia. Anyway! This game is awesome.

Only negative thing I can think of is the dialogue. I guess I'm kind of glad they don't talk much.

Amir0x said:

I disagree. I like Zelda's formula, but building the dungeons around the object you find became pretty rote. They always involve the same pattern and at some point, become sort of lifeless and very predictable even if they are well designed.

I like the fact that only 3 of the dungeons in Darksiders are "traditional" dungeons. The shooter sequences, and more action/arena based gameplay segments really add a lot of variety. It adds an interesting change of pace and makes it where you don't always know what to expect when you enter a new area. The traditional puzzle dungeon stuff is great, but I'm glad it's not the entire game.

John

Having just beaten it, I think that Joe Mad must be either crazy or lying if he thinks he's doing anything to rectify the "throwaway game stories" situation he's talked about. War was a non-entity until the final cutscene, and even the Watcher, the only guy with an ounce personality in the game, was barely even used; they missed a lot of opportunity here. Last cutscene spoils:
When War gets his 'revenge' on the Watcher, I wasn't even aware that there was any actual resentment for him there. He didn't seem to mind getting force-tortured once in a while.

Words cannot express how much i am loving this game.

IT IS BRILLIANT.

Playing on apocalyptic and it's SOOOOOOOOOO satisfying. it's like someone distilled all of my favourite genres into one package... and made it with a lot of care, too.

Thanks Vigil! I salute you.

hardly touched Bayonetta and got them both at the same time.

Enigma777

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game. Right now I'm searching for the sword shards. Noramally I'm not a fan of fetch quest, but I like this one because it gives me an incentive to go back and search for chests I might have missed.

Also, I kept hearing how this game was easy so I started it on Apocalyptic difficulty, and it was still easy until those damn phasing witches with the dual swords started to show up. They are kicking my ass over and over and over again! I've resorted to riding my horse and doing drive-by's... :lol

John

Enigma777 said:
Also, I kept hearing how this game was easy so I started it on Apocalyptic difficulty, and it was still easy until those damn phasing witches with the dual swords started to show up. They are kicking my ass over and over and over again! I've resorted to riding my horse and doing drive-by's... :lol
Me too, until
I used the hookshot on them.

orion434

Enigma777 said:

Counter-Block, or just block... they do a 4-combo and then are open to attack, and then you can 4-X then into a juggle and continue. If there are 2 of these that's when I have troubble.

Those witches destroyed me until I realized that every single move they do is blockable...

Then I felt like an idiot.

Be careful though...the blocking in this game isn't completely responsive. I've gotten almost insta killed by those witches when I SWORE I hit the block button but the game registered it a second late.

ZealousD

Enigma777 said:

They're much easier if you use the Abyssal Chain on them. A single one of them becomes a joke, although two at once is still a bit tricky.

Ricker

Damn the Black Throne...ok I did the first part,went back to Azrael and he keeps telling me now to redirect the beams....but there`s no beams where I am,completly stomped on what to do here now as well(I got the item you get in this level)...standing in the room with him,and the big blocks turning slowly,like my brain ;P ;)

Top Bottom