• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

I like playing apocalyptic, but man, these shooter segments are just frustrating to me. Thank god that was probably the last after ulthane.

Dommel

Just got the game today, didnt want to risk spending €59 so I ordered from a webshop for €40 and had to wait a few days but damn this game is easily worth the full price of admission.

Was planning to play a quick hour before going to bed. That was 4 hours ago....

Stuck in the
Twilight Cathedral with the revolving bridge thingy
but so far the ride has been nothing but awesome. The atmosphere, the graphics, combat and puzzles are all great.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TrAcEr_x90 said:
I like playing apocalyptic, but man, these shooter segments are just frustrating to me. Thank god that was probably the last after ulthane.

More later but it's much easier.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah Black Throne is the true example of classic Zelda dungeon awesomeness. This is one of those I think holds par with the great Zelda dungeons. Shame it seems to be limited to Twilight Cathedral and Black Throne (and a segment or two of
Spider's Lair
), but it definitely shows Vigil can design with the best of them. Need Darksiders 2 to see how they do to evolve their work.

How do you guys think the game is doing?? will we get a sequel? the marketing was pretty good i think. web-wise. Havent seen commercials but ive seen stuff online everywhere and at gamestop.

bridegur

Kintaro said:
Reading reviews for this game is odd. Everyone really seems to come down on it for using elements from other games.

To me, the game feels like the first Banjo-Kazooie-- it took a lot of elements from another great game, but it did it so well that no one cared. People criticizing Darksiders for originality should take a look at how they felt about any of Naughty Dog's past efforts, all of which are far from original in gameplay or themes, but at the very least solid games.

Plus, unlike GTA clones or FPS games, the Zelda formula is far from overused. I can think of two games that have used it well outside of the series: Beyond Good and Evil and Darksiders.

Canova

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
How do you guys think the game is doing?? will we get a sequel? the marketing was pretty good i think. web-wise. Havent seen commercials but ive seen stuff online everywhere and at gamestop.

I hope it's doing well. if not, Sony needs to buy this studio, and make it PS3 exclusive to counter Nintendo Zelda. The reason I said Sony, not Microsoft, because seems like Sony is better in nurturing their first party studios. They made one hit after another.

Firestorm

Finished this game a few hours ago and traded it in to EB on the way home. It was a really solid effort and I'm glad I got it. I was going to completely pass it over and if it weren't for the promotion I would have. I still remember telling my friend it looked like shit after seeing the trailers for it (had never heard of it until I was pre-ordering). In that regard, I think the marketing team here failed. They made these horribly uninsteresting trailers that nobody who actually watches trailers would even notice. Both the trailers were CG for some reason. Not to mention they kept pushing the God of War angle which is probably the worst thing they can do right now as it pits it against Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, and God of War itself - all of which are released this quarter.

They really should have played the dungeons-aspect as that's what I found fun. Combat was ho-hum. A step above Zelda, but what isn't? The puzzles were a step below Zelda but, again, what isn't? Twilight Cathedral and Black Throne were an absolute blast. They were lucky that those were the first and last dungeons as they really leave a good impression on you. Ashlands was a little boring as it was just combat after combat and Hollows annoyed the shit out of me due to the water sections (read: nobody likes water levels. nobody). The spider lair had a cool central theme too and did backtracking pretty well.

I found War's eyes and voice to be too much in the direction of "trying too hard" and I found it unappealing because of that. The art style showed a lot of promise like in
Eden and Ulthane's area
but too much of the game seemed to be stuck in the sort of blah grey and brown. The contrast of War's clothing to the backdrop was interesting, but I really would have liked more brighter areas along with the more depressing ones.

Also, NPCs need to shut the fuck up. "Connect the beams to set me free. Connect the beams to set me free. Connect the beams to set me free. Connect the beams to set me free. Connect the beams to set me free. Connect the beams to set me free. "

I AM JUST TRYING TO CLIMB THIS THING SHUT UP ALREADY I'M ON IT.

Anyway, it scratched my 3D Zelda itch which is nice as that itch has been there for over 3 years.

mjc

Quick question: I'm at the Black Throne and I've
taken down one of the three tethers to the angel of death. If I continue and break the other two, have I reached a point where I can't go back into the overworld?
I'm thinking of collecting the other parts of the abyssal armor before going forward too much.

Firestorm

mjc said:
taken down one of the three tethers to the angel of death. If I continue and break the other two, have I reached a point where I can't go back into the overworld?
I'm thinking of collecting the other parts of the abyssal armor before going forward too much.
No you have to go back to the overworld. The game isn't over yet. Another hour to go after the Black Throne.

mjc said:
You will be told when you cant go back.

Spike

Just wanted to say that the Lens of Truth has a head to head for this game up now. I think you need to register in order to view it.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=17291

They give the edge to the PS3 version for the simple fact that there is less screen tearing and hiccups. Everything else is equal. I downloaded the 720p video, and everything looks identical.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
F' Yeah! Complete! 1000/1000!

I'll post a full review sometime, but for now, simply put, you should buy this game. Did not dissapoint.

Gamestop's running a special where you get $40 for certain games towards certain games.. I'm thinking about ditching Forza 3 for this. I haven't played it much and I bought the game for $40 originally..

Should I pull the trigger? or is it better suited to gamefly and burning through it in a week? Reports are about 15 hours long and I could probably finish that in a week.. Not a lot of re-playability, right?

Decado

SonOfABeep said:
Gamestop's running a special where you get $40 for certain games towards certain games.. I'm thinking about ditching Forza 3 for this. I haven't played it much and I bought the game for $40 originally..

Should I pull the trigger? or is it better suited to gamefly and burning through it in a week? Reports are about 15 hours long and I could probably finish that in a week.. Not a lot of re-playability, right?
If you're happy to burn through a 15 hour long game in a week, that's fine. Personally, anything that long would take me a few weeks and makes a good purchase. I'm happy I bought it. As for replayability...well, IMO, no action games really have much replayability, so I can't say what you'd think about that.

I beliieve im about to beat another dungeon. the one where you get the gauntlet. I thought it was pretty cool? there were quite a few dungeons, bu tprobaly not as cool as the first one still.

Haint

Wow this game was such a breath of fresh air to all the formulaic shooter and sandbox crap where every step of their design and progression is so predictable. This game threw a new curve ball every hour or two. Every time I thought they were going to fall into the trap and repeat the same pattern 4 or 5 times, it either did something completely different or disguised it so well you didn't care or couldn't tell. Quite possibly my game of the generation.

koji

Started it yesterday, wasn't feeling it at first but after about an hour (and unlocking The Harvester with my pre-order code) I really started to enjoy it. It's just so over the top, kickass. :lol

KevinCow

Banned
bridegur said:
To me, the game feels like the first Banjo-Kazooie-- it took a lot of elements from another great game, but it did it so well that no one cared. People criticizing Darksiders for originality should take a look at how they felt about any of Naughty Dog's past efforts, all of which are far from original in gameplay or themes, but at the very least solid games.

Plus, unlike GTA clones or FPS games, the Zelda formula is far from overused. I can think of two games that have used it well outside of the series: Beyond Good and Evil and Darksiders.

Yeah, Naughty Dog's a great example. Crash Team Racing is basically a Mario Kart clone, Jak 1 is basically a Banjo-Kazooie clone (which, as you noted, is itself basically a Mario 64 clone plus a few other elements), Jak 2 and 3 are the same as Jak 1 but with other things thrown in like some GTA, and Uncharted is basically Gears of War with a bit of Prince of Persia. And there's nothing wrong with that, because they're all good games. But the fact that Uncharted 2 has gone on to be one of the highest rated games of all time while people are docking points on Darksiders for copying other games is kinda silly.

As for other Zelda clones, there's also Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Okami, and sort of Batman: Arkham Asylum. At least as far as 3D ones go.

forrest

formerly nacire
Spike said:
Just wanted to say that the Lens of Truth has a head to head for this game up now. I think you need to register in order to view it.

They give the edge to the PS3 version for the simple fact that there is less screen tearing and hiccups. Everything else is equal. I downloaded the 720p video, and everything looks identical.

Awesome, I was wondering when they would get it posted. I'll have to check this out after work today!

glaurung

Spotted my copy of Darksiders in the mailbox this morning! Yay!

But for some reason the EU copy has this fugly yellow round sticker with the 10/10 grade from some noname magazine review. Does it come off properly or do I need to buy some PSN card box to replace it?

KevinCow

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I'm confused, does the chaos form take an absolute age to build up or am I missing a button combination? I haven't once been it since the opening act.

How far are you? You lose all your powers, including the chaos form, after the opening act and don't get it back until a little later.

KevinCow said:
How far are you? You lose all your powers, including the chaos form, after the opening act and don't get it back until a little later.

I can't remember the name of the place, but actual game time is over four hours. I'm inside the big cathedral that has loads of rooms inside...

I'm a bit further on from this:

Cathedral, Gameplay

Magik

Baker said:
:lol

I'm playing on Apocalyptic and the only time I've blocked is during that one challenge. Since it's relegated to stupid RB, I never think to use it. I just dash all over the place and take my bumps (and yes I know dash and block are the same button).

Thats exactly the same problem I have with blocking in the game. Why they foolishly relegated it to RB when its also used for Dashing is retarded cause more often than not, I'll end up dashing when I want to block.

Also, why the fuck doesn't the game remember that I want to invert my Y-Axis? Every time I load up the game its reset back to the default while every other option remains the same.

Mind said:
You still haven't got it back. Be patience...

Thanks. I think reading this thread has confused me, people who have completed the game are talking about weapons/armour/items that I haven't even came across yet.

I know this is obvious but I really don't want to miss anything on my first play-through as I don't get much game time during the week.

edgefusion

glaurung said:
Spotted my copy of Darksiders in the mailbox this morning! Yay!

But for some reason the EU copy has this fugly yellow round sticker with the 10/10 grade from some noname magazine review. Does it come off properly or do I need to buy some PSN card box to replace it?

Mine does too (why put a sticker from a US magazine on a UK release?) and it doesn't come off easily. It'll leave gross sticky residue and bits of paper stuck to the cover so either replace the case or rip it off then spray WD40 on it to remove the residue and excess paper.

KevinCow

Banned
Magik said:
Thats exactly the same problem I have with blocking in the game. Why they foolishly relegated it to RB when its also used for Dashing is retarded cause more often than not, I'll end up dashing when I want to block.

Also, why the fuck doesn't the game remember that I want to invert my Y-Axis? Every time I load up the game its reset back to the default while every other option remains the same.

I agree that blocking and dashing shouldn't be on the same button... but then again, there's not really anywhere else for it to go. Still, I think they could've doubled up the button better, maybe by having hold = block and tap = dash.

Sucks that it doesn't remember the Y-axis preference. Seems like a bit of an oversight on their part.

Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks. I think reading this thread has confused me, people who have completed the game are talking about weapons/armour/items that I haven't even came across yet.

I know this is obvious but I really don't want to miss anything on my first play-through as I don't get much game time during the week.

You won't miss anything in terms of weapons and items since they're all required to progress, but you won't be getting all the health and wrath shards or abyssal armor pieces without doing a good bit of exploring.

KevinCow said:
You won't miss anything in terms of weapons and items since they're all required to progress, but you won't be getting all the health and wrath shards or abyssal armor pieces without doing a good bit of exploring.

Good, I don't mind the abyssal armour but the health shards would be handy.

orion434

Winding down on my playthrough on Apocaliptic and I'm loving the exploring for the
Armageddon Blade Shards
Now I'm just leveling-up my weapons and then off to the finale. I really like how they incorporated some of the Voidwalker puzzles in other areas... really made you think.

forrest

formerly nacire
edgefusion said:
Mine does too (why put a sticker from a US magazine on a UK release?) and it doesn't come off easily. It'll leave gross sticky residue and bits of paper stuck to the cover so either replace the case or rip it off then spray WD40 on it to remove the residue and excess paper.

If you pull off the sticker and it leaves a residue, simply use the back of the removed sticker to dab the left over residue. The leftover residue will slowy clump and adhere to the back of the sticker and will eventually give you a clean unmarred surface without the pain of using additional cleaners or elbow grease.

A friend showed me this trick and it works on all stickers on plastics including music/movie/game cases, computers, etc.

Halcyon

should I rent this game or Infamous. Infamous is on my pile of shame, but I'm hearing so many good things about this game. I love zelda/god of war so this seems right up my ally, but playing uncharted alot has me in the TPS/platforming mode.

Flipside

I went hunting for some abyssal shards and I am at 7/10 at the moment. I was wondering if you can already get all 10 of them
after you take down the first tower in the BT and obtained void walker. Or do you need something else? Else I might just pointlesly wandering around to search for unobtainable pieces :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this game is so much fun. I can't believe how much I am enjoying it. What a great start for 2010.

I beat the first main dungeon and killed Tiamat and just started on the next area. The combat is surprisingly satisfying and there have been quite a few challenging encounters already. The action, puzzles, exploration and upgrade system really come together along with the cool looking visuals to make a very entertaining experience.

I'm sure it helped that I had no hype going into the game (hell I only heard about it a day or two before I bought it), but Darksiders is definitely looking like it might be one of my favorite games of the year. This year's Arkham Asylum? Maybe.

John

Flipside said:
I went hunting for some abyssal shards and I am at 7/10 at the moment. I was wondering if you can already get all 10 of them
after you take down the first tower in the BT and obtained void walker. Or do you need something else? Else I might just pointlesly wandering around to search for unobtainable pieces :)
Well there's one
later in the tower,
but otherwise yeah, I think you can get them all.

edgefusion

nacire said:
If you pull off the sticker and it leaves a residue, simply use the back of the removed sticker to dab the left over residue. The leftover residue will slowy clump and adhere to the back of the sticker and will eventually give you a clean unmarred surface without the pain of using additional cleaners or elbow grease.

A friend showed me this trick and it works on all stickers on plastics including music/movie/game cases, computers, etc.

What if the sticker rips and leaves traces of paper behind? The only way I've ever been able to get rid of it is with WD40.

forrest

formerly nacire
edgefusion said:
What if the sticker rips and leaves traces of paper behind? The only way I've ever been able to get rid of it is with WD40.

There has to be some of the adhesive on the back of the sticker for it to work. I'm strictly talking about adhesive residue left behind or the adhesive itself.

jonhuz

Can anyone please help me find the last artifact I need:

cEm5k.last_artifact.jpg

John

Oh man, Mike Reagan and Cris Velasco were on this game?! Everyone make your music twice as loud as everything else.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Spike said:

From B3D (360):

Avg:35.759 Tear:52.683 Min-Max:16.5-60.0

http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/496/

orion434

jonhuz said:
Can anyone please help me find the last artifact I need:

cEm5k.last_artifact.jpg

Looks like you need 2, the Center Artifact - Overlord is located in the 3rd / 4th Tower in the Ashlands. You need the Abyssal Chain to cross the top levels and then shut down the drill and drop-down the hole and the artifact is there... the last Solider Artifact I'm not too sure on.

JudgeN

Wow at over 50% torn frames and the FPS spread of 16-60, loving the game and I hope for a sequel because they need to fix the framerate on both systems. I want to see PS3 analyst though, based off the LensOfTruth it should have the same numbers only with 1/2 the torn frames.

jonhuz

rayner said:
Looks like you need 2, the Center Artifact - Overlord is located in the 3rd / 4th Tower in the Ashlands. You need the Abyssal Chain to cross the top levels and then shut down the drill and drop-down the hole and the artifact is there... the last Solider Artifact I'm not too sure on.

Just grabbed the overlord one thanks, the last solider artifact is killing me >.<

edit, ahhhhhh I had missed the other artifact in Ashlands, it's now mine!

Minamu

I'm stuck :( In the first big room of the second dungeon, there's a bomb I can throw, lots of water & there were some green insect enemies flying around. I have no idea where to go :( I'm stuck at the bottom in the water with no apparent way to go. There's a few ice walls to break & one fire wall as I mentioned but I have no way of destroying either of them as far as I know. And I can't see any way up either.

Top Bottom