• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have the legendary equip that shows all items on the map, but I still can't see the final artifact I need anywhere. It's the same one missing as in the picture above, so I'm guessing the artifacts aren't actually organized based off location.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
glaurung said:
Whoever thought it a good idea to disable the inverted Y-axis control for the flying beast needs to be punched in the groin. After years of flying sims and now I cannot properly play this damn thing.

Flip the inversion in the options, exit, then flip 'em back.
A bit weird, but it fixed the controls for me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Papercuts said:
I have the legendary equip that shows all items on the map, but I still can't see the final artifact I need anywhere. It's the same one missing as in the picture above, so I'm guessing the artifacts aren't actually organized based off location.

Did you check the Choking Grounds? Under the coffin?

TheFallen

rhfb said:
Combat in the Giant Bomb quick look looked repetitive and seemed like it went on forever for each enemy. Does this get better as you upgrade your weapon and skills or do new enemies with more health show up?
Jeff had not unlocked much as far as weapons go and didn't attempt to do much other than what looks like button-mashing. That quick look is one of the worst representations of Darksiders combat you can find. To answer your question, yes it gets better, particularly when you get the scythe.

Chris R

TheFallen said:
Jeff had not unlocked much as far as weapons go and didn't attempt to do much other than what looks like button-mashing. That quick look is one of the worst representations of Darksiders combat you can find. To answer your question, yes it gets better, particularly when you get the scythe.
You got a good video to watch then? The game looks interesting but games with combat like GoW/DMC/Ect just don't work for me and this looked like those unfortunatly.

Ricker

see5harp said:
On the ground floor, near Azrael you'll notice two portals in a little nook, one on the wall, one on the floor right underneath. You'll need to shoot yourself up with the one on the ground.

Thanks, that did it,not sure why I hadn`t seen the ledge it propelled me to before hehe...finally made it out of the Black Throne...

bdouble

rhfb said:
You got a good video to watch then? The game looks interesting but games with combat like GoW/DMC/Ect just don't work for me and this looked like those unfortunatly.
But that isn't the focus of this game. I'm finding the combat fun (and challenging on Apocolyptic) but it isn't some crazy DMC thing. It looks good and get the job done. Its like Zelda but with more enemies because there is just that much more to the combat.

ZZMitch

This game looks cool, didn't really notice it (bad title I guess)... but saw the giant bomb quicklook and it looks great...

The GB guys said there was some screen tearing issues with the 360 version? Is that with the PS3 version as well? Which one do you guys think is better, or are they both pretty much the same?

Rented both Darksiders and Bayonetta. Darksiders was a complete afterthought and I had so much hype for Bayonetta...and yet Darksiders blew that game away imo.

Amazing.

Ok all, I need some help. I just completed the puzzle with the train in the subway tunnels. After that, I am completely stuck and I have no clue what to do next. Anybody got any advice?

Chris R

bdouble said:
But that isn't the focus of this game. I'm finding the combat fun (and challenging on Apocolyptic) but it isn't some crazy DMC thing. It looks good and get the job done. Its like Zelda but with more enemies because there is just that much more to the combat.
The only thing the combat in the quick look and Zelda had in common was locking on. The other aspects of the game looked solid but the combat looked horrible TBH. That's why I was asking for a good video of combat because the GB video was from the early game.

bridegur

I beat the second dungeon and I can say that if you've enjoyed any of the 3D Zelda games, you'll have a good time with this. I was really skeptical that it would be worth my time, but it's surprised me immensely. It's a really solid game-- it has more exploration than I expected, fun dungeons, and although I'm not in love with War's design, the rest of it looks fantastic.

Papercuts

Wow, I missed an artifact marked right on my map in the black throne somehow. Now i just need one more life shard and one more wrath shard...I heard there's a well hidden one in the weight room of the black throne, but I completely forget how to get there now. It almost seems like a few of the passages I took aren't usable anymore, any help?

Str0ngStyle said:
Ok all, I need some help. I just completed the puzzle with the train in the subway tunnels. After that, I am completely stuck and I have no clue what to do next. Anybody got any advice?

You have to jump on the train and climb the wall.

Kishgal

Banned
Str0ngStyle said:
I should have specified a bit more. I did climb the growth after moving the train, but affter I get to the top, is where I am stuck
There are two walls you can move the train to and climb up. Try the other one?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Defeated Straga last night and there was something I noticed. The bosses are actually bosses in this game. Teethgrinding combat with puzzling in it, defeating the boss with only a fraction of your life left, that's how bossbattles ought to be.

Finished it. Took me 14 hours, on the in-game clock, but far more with deaths etc. Really enjoyed it, but it wasn't without its faults. Some of the dungeons were slightly more irritating than others, and some of the enemies sliiightly too hard/irritating towards the end of the game. And the writing.

Sigh.

It was patchy. The dialogue wasn't so awful - I mean, it rode around on cliche constantly, but it wasn't too bad for that. But the storytelling was just clumsy, the actual narrative being grossly confusing. I wasn't always sure what was going on, and when I was it rarely made sense, or drove me to want to know more. The actual plot - at a very basic level - is interesting, but the narrative wasn't really tip-top. I wonder if they had a writer, outside of Joe Mad. If not, maybe they need one? He's a great artist and designer, but the writing...

(It was the same in that utterly nonsensical comic that came with the game as well. I have NEVER read 30 pages that made less sense to me in my life.)

orion434

Completed Darksiders 1000/1000 in about 27 hours total game time, I enjoyed every aspect of it. Had a few panic moments toward the end geting some of the Achievements. "Battle Hardened" is Maxing all weapons and buying all combat moves. I had this completed except buying all Wrath upgrades... ie. I had all 4 @ lv 2. The Achievement didn't pop-up until I forged the
Armageddon Blade
A friend of mine had done the same and the Achievement poped-up when he bought the last of his combat moves and had the Chaoseater @ lv 4. I've read several posts about the weird circumstances for this Achievement to be awarded. Then during the credits the Easy - Normal - Apocalyptic Achievements poped-up in the wrong order, but show in the correct order on my card...

Canova

Banned
I'm nearly finished (or maybe not). I'm halfway in the tower. I don't want to finish so soon. This game is more than what I had expected. it's just amazing. In this generation, there's not too many games like this, where there's a good balance between combat, exploration and puzzles.

Mejilan

The more I play this game, the less I like.
The Hollows was absolutely wretched, and though the Ashlands were a LITTLE better, both of those major bosses were terrible. Felt more like mini boss encounters you might find in a Metroid Prime game rather than major bosses.

Here's hoping the Iron Canopy breaks this disappointing trend.
The overworld is also getting worse and worse. The Choking Grounds and Drowned Pass were fairly cool additions, but it seems like the further in you get, the less they use to spread the dungeons around.

John

Amir0x said:
For all those having problems finding stuff, there is a legendary equip that allows you to see where ALL treasure and artifacts are on the map. It's in Black Throne dungeon, you need to portal your way up over a chasm and there it is in a treasure chest.

I'm sure most of you know about it, but if you don't it's very helpful for completionists.
Found a guide, here's all the legendary equips:

War's Glory

Slotted Bonus:

* Drastically increases Chaos gained via the Chaoseater sword
* Drastically increases Chaos gained by other melee weapons
* Drastically increases the amount of weapon experience gained

Passive Bonus:

* Drastically increases the duration of Chaos Form
* Drastically increases weapon damage

Silitha's area after you fight the giant spider to break the center seal you will eventually come across an area where you are required to use the Abyssal Chain in combination with shadow currents to cross a great gorge. Using the first shadow current fly straight up and backwards towards the screen. War's Glory is on a ledge above the ledge you started on.

Strife's Offering

Slotted Bonus:

* Boosts weapon damage
* Generates Wrath on killing blows
* Generates Chaos on killing blows

Passive Bonus:

* Drastically increases projectile attack damage
* Increases War's defense against projectile attacks

In the Ashlands tunnels near the area with 8+ ceiling man-eating plants and the large chunk of ceiling you bomb down, in the end of this tunnel lies this enchantment. This requires use of the Abyssal Chain.

Fury's Embrace

Slotted Bonus:

* Wrath leeched on every weapon strike

Passive Bonus:

* Boosts Wrath power damage
* Reveals all world maps and items
* Additional Wrath boost on killing blows

In The Black Throne on the way to the top of the tower (the one on the far right of Azrael) you come across a materializing bridge via orange circle activation similar to the entrance. While crossing this bridge look left and upwards and you will see a void circle. Use the Voidwalker on this circle and then die. Then at the start of this room link to the other void circle. Walk in the portal and you will be ported to the yet another materializing bridge that crosses the one you were just on. This leads to the enchantment. This enchant requires use of the Voidwalker. **You don't have to die to get back to the other side. The orange activation circle on the other side resets the bridge to start from that side.**

Death's Blessing

Slotted Bonus:

* Leeches weapon damage and converts it to health
* Drastically increases weapon damage
* Drastically increases the amount of souls acquired from objects & creatures
* Additional soul rewards when assigned to the Scythe

In Scalding Gallow, in the tunnel where you used the chronomancer for the first time on that large door, if you notice there was a void circle on the door and also in that room with the lever. Portal link these void circles and once the door is fully open, jump in the portal to be shot out into a small room with the enchantment.

Mejilan said:
The more I play this game, the less I like.
The Hollows was absolutely wretched, and though the Ashlands were a LITTLE better, both of those major bosses were terrible. Felt more like mini boss encounters you might find in a Metroid Prime game rather than major bosses.

Here's hoping the Iron Canopy breaks this disappointing trend.
The overworld is also getting worse and worse. The Choking Grounds and Drowned Pass were fairly cool additions, but it seems like the further in you get, the less they use to spread the dungeons around.

whats so wrong with the hollows? thats the place with the bugs right? im about to beat it and i really like it. Could be a lame grey and brown gears level. But they still find such a cool way with the art to make it look like a comic book. The boss is pretty cool to me, still need to beat him tonight, but i turned off my ps3 still thinking of what im going to have to do to beat him.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Welp, I just got the grappling hook. I also really have no desire to finish the game.

Was an ok experience, but nothing that I'll remember in a couple of months.

Mejilan

TrAcEr_x90 said:
whats so wrong with the hollows? thats the place with the bugs right? im about to beat it and i really like it. Could be a lame grey and brown gears level. But they still find such a cool way with the art to make it look like a comic book. The boss is pretty cool to me, still need to beat him tonight, but i turned off my ps3 still thinking of what im going to have to do to beat him.

The Hollows is the place where you fight
the Griever
at the end. Where you get the [/spoiler]Tremor Gauntlet[/spoiler]. I thought the "dungeon" design was as stale and boring as it could get, the puzzles were insultingly easy (and a huge step down from the Twilight Cathedral), the combat practically non-existent, the key item lazy and uninteresting, and finally, that the major boss was a huge let down. Ridiculously simple pattern. Ridiculously easy fight.

That entire sequence of the game was just a huge yawn-fest. Lots of empty walking (or swimming) through empty, uninteresting locations, oddly bare of any real challenges (puzzles or fights). The next area was only a little better (more combat, some cool shooting segments), but had an even more dismal major boss.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
rayner said:
Completed Darksiders 1000/1000 in about 27 hours total game time, I enjoyed every aspect of it. Had a few panic moments toward the end geting some of the Achievements. "Battle Hardened" is Maxing all weapons and buying all combat moves. I had this completed except buying all Wrath upgrades... ie. I had all 4 @ lv 2. The Achievement didn't pop-up until I forged the
Armageddon Blade
A friend of mine had done the same and the Achievement poped-up when he bought the last of his combat moves and had the Chaoseater @ lv 4. I've read several posts about the weird circumstances for this Achievement to be awarded. Then during the credits the Easy - Normal - Apocalyptic Achievements poped-up in the wrong order, but show in the correct order on my card...

The Wrath upgrades don't count towards the Battle Hardened achievement. In fact they don't count towards anything. 1 level of each wrath spell is all you need for that one wrath achievement. Plus the Armageddon Blade is lvl 4 already so you actually don't have to worry about upgrading your Chaoseater.

orion434

ZealousD said:
The Wrath upgrades don't count towards the Battle Hardened achievement. In fact they don't count towards anything. 1 level of each wrath spell is all you need for that one wrath achievement. Plus the Armageddon Blade is lvl 4 already so you actually don't have to worry about upgrading your Chaoseater.

But I HAD the Chaoseater at lv 4 from just using it so often. My friend had done the same with Chaoseater at lv 4 and it worked for him, but not for me.

edit: I know the Wrath abilities aren't needed for the Achievement, just stated it in case someone said "did you buy all the Wrath upgrades"

Mejilan

Yep, the wrath trophy fired for me when I bought the 4th power. Those will likely be the last things I finish powering up, since I never use any of them anyway.

Canti

Having problems with the Aerial Predator achievement on Apocalyptic.

I've read conflicting info on it around the net, some people say you can just die on the large dragon in the caves and keep repeating that section (they say kill count is not reset on respawn) until the achievement pops, whilst other people are saying it has to be done in one run (with about 180-200 enemies appearing in the entire segment).

Either way I'm having no luck :lol Any help?

orion434

Canti said:

I've read conflicting info on it around the net, some people say you can just die on the large dragon in the caves and keep repeating that section (they say kill count is not reset on respawn) until the achievement pops, whilst other people are saying it has to be done in one run (with about 180-200 enemies appearing in the entire segment).

It took me 3 tries to do it on Apocalyptic, I'd say just make a save prior to the segment and do it from the beginning. It's around 7 - 8 mins so it's not that bad. They should have made it a nice round 150 enemies.

forrest

formerly nacire
rayner said:
It took me 3 tries to do it on Apocalyptic, I'd say just make a save prior to the segment and do it from the beginning. It's around 7 - 8 mins so it's not that bad. They should have made it a nice round 150 enemies.

Can you do it on easy or normal? I missed this one and the helicopter one on my apocalyptic play through. I was curious if it would be any easier on normal or easy as well.

Mejilan

Canti said:

Early message board chatter indicating that you could die/respawn without losing your kill counts is false. There are a number of autosave checkpoints within the run, but the game only saves your kill count up to that point.

For example, one major checkpoint is getting to the fiery caves. Once you pass that checkpoint, your kills for all of the segments prior to entering the caves will be recorded in the auto-save. So if you die a little later in the caves, you'll restart at the beginning of the caves (or wherever your last checkpoint was recorded), with whatever kills you had up until that checkpoint was reached.

Speaking of the caves, the bulk of your kills will occur there. Replay the segments prior to the caves until you accrue 35-40 kills. (It's fine to ignore some angels and focus on blowing the tankers on the various ledges and whatnot, since there are usually a decent bunch of hard-to-see but easy-to-kill ground troops you can take out in one blow.

If you get get to the caves with a solid 40 kills under your belt (stats can be checked by hitting Select on the PS3, probably Back on the 360), you should be able to manage 120 in the caves, by taking special care to kill as many as of the harmless flying insectoid swarms as possible. I eventually cleared this with about 180 kills. On Apocalyptic, mind you.

The swarms are best dealt with by doing 2 - 3 second charges and releasing the homing shots. Even if you don't have a lot of the bugs targeted, it's best to just let go and start a new charge. Larger enemies flying in formation are quickly killed with rapid fire non-charged shots, as those fly faster and hit MUCH harder. The armored gold angels take forever to kill with charged shots, but go down very quickly to standard fire. Ditto with the dragon thingie. You'll still probably need the charged shots to neutralize the homing shots of the gold angels, however.

Edit - From purely a skill standpoint, it's probably the toughest trophy/achievement in the game.

orion434

nacire said:
Can you do it on easy or normal? I missed this one and the helicopter one on my apocalyptic play through. I was curious if it would be any easier on normal or easy as well.

Yeah, these can be done on any difficulty setting... the missable Achievements / Trophies are not that far into the game so it's not so bad. You can get all 4 by Anvil Ford.

Mejilan

I thought only 3 were miss-able...?
The helicopter one, the Panzer Dragoon one, and the Ulthane one... no?

orion434

Mejilan said:
I thought only 3 were miss-able...?
The helicopter one, the Panzer Dragoon one, and the Ulthane one... no?

"Improvised Kills" - Kill 150 enemies with Enviornmental Objects - can be missed, at some point in the game ( which can't be agreed on ) Destructable objects do not respawn. For me it was after returning the 3rd Heart... had to scrounge for kills in the Chocking Grounds with the Lamposts I didn't destroy :-(

Mejilan

I noticed that major environmental objects don't respawn, but I've noticed that small parking meters and the tinier/thinner street signs (not the lamp posts) DO seem to respawn. Some of them, at least. I know because I've gone out of my way to bust up every single one until it vomits out souls, and there are specific ones that I distinctly remember crushing showing up for seconds and thirds.

Could be a huge pain to get 150 kills that way, but it might be feasible. Possibly.

Canti

Thanks for the help rayner/Meji! Will try again later. Luckily I created a save point before that section and already have the helicopter/Ulthane angels kill trophies. I'll also try to remember the environmental objects thing.

Having a blast with the game in general, can't believe people are comparing this graphically to a PS2 title.

El-Suave

Finished the game a few hours ago. Really fun and solid game.

I hope it does well enough so that we'll get a sequel - the ending
suggests bringing in all four horsemen which would be awesome. Character switching would be great if they're different enough, and they could include co-op although that doesn't interest me personally.

I probably enjoyed the horseback riding the most - the animations when Ruin is summoned while you're running and when you're knocked off are really well done. When you locked the camera on your opponent the game delivered some amazing screenshot worthy moments.

The only parts that could have been done a bit better were the Tiamat fight (I'm still not 100% comfortable with the boomerang even after completing the game) and the light beam puzzles. Those were my favorite puzzles in the game, but three in a row in the same environment were more than enough.

Mejilan

Canti said:
Thanks for the help rayner/Meji! Will try again later. Luckily I created a save point before that section and already have the helicopter/Ulthane angels kill trophies. I'll also try to remember the environmental objects thing.

Having a blast with the game in general, can't believe people are comparing this graphically to a PS2 title.

People are morons, and forget what PS2 games looked like.
Good luck with the trophy!
Just remember, before the caves: Look for the tankers/trucks and blow them up for lots of hidden ground kills. During the caves, look for swarms of (mostly) green/red flying and harmless insects, and churn out charged shot after charged shot against 'em. And try to enter the caves with close to 40 kills already, if possible.

Papercuts

Found the last few items(the legendary thing that shows all chests actually hurt me here, I wasn't able to locate the chests without going to the spots). For me the final life shard and wrath shard ended up being
the life shard in the weight puzzle room of the black throne. You can't normally even see that room on your map for some reason, so I thought I had every chest in the dungeon. The other is the wrath shard near the ashlands entrance, where they have three of those hanging things covering a rope you cross. I climbed up the left side for a soul chest before, but I never noticed the grapple spot above it, leading to a new room with the chest I needed(which, again, meant the item wasn't able to tell me the chest was there).

Now I just need to grind some weapons/horse miles/enviromental kills then reload my save and do that 160 kills thing for 1000, woo.

Top Bottom