• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

-Winnie-

I just got my copy of Darksiders (360), and it's a promotional copy. Just wondering, is this any different to the retail version?
If this version is still full of tearing, should the upcoming patch still be compatible?

-Winnie- said:
I just got my copy of Darksiders (360), and it's a promotional copy. Just wondering, is this any different to the retail version?
If this version is still full of tearing, should the upcoming patch still be compatible?

Boxed promo copies are always exactly the same as boxed retail copies. Everything about it is the same except you don't get a manual and you have a joyous yellow strip to annoy you whilst the box sits on your shelf. Everything on the disc is the same, and any patch released will work.

Only time you'd ever get a version that is different to retail would usually be with a preview that plays of a debug.

Magik

That boss fight in Black Throne with the Golem or whatever the hell it was where you have to use the teleporter has to be one of the most frustrating boss fights I have had in years. I just kept shooting out portals until one actually opened up and just hoped that the second one would pop up.

Fuck that boss fight.

Feindflug

EzLink said:
Blah, what is taking the patch so long? Really want to get back to playing this

Same here...I'm playing Bayonetta at the moment (which is awesome btw) but yeah I can't wait to finally start the game - the positive impressions make the wait even more difficult...hopefully the patch/fix will be up this week. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Magik said:
That boss fight in Black Throne with the Golem or whatever the hell it was where you have to use the teleporter has to be one of the most frustrating boss fights I have had in years. I just kept shooting out portals until one actually opened up and just hoped that the second one would pop up.

Fuck that boss fight.

With the Golem? There are
three of those fights, if you mean the one which reignites the energy beam. And they're all incredibly easy. Remember, you need to put down two portals, one exit and one enter. In separate portal foundations.

If you mean Straga, he is also easy.
You put a portal on the ground, and you wait until his club is in position to put a portal on it. Then when he reaches back, enter portal. Press b into his weakpoint, slash at head. Repeat three times.

Incredibly simple, surprised anyone has a problem with it. In particular, since you seem to have trouble merely opening up portals, it seems you are having a fundamental problem with the mechanics, which suggest you merely are doing it wrong. Remember to clear previous portals by highlighting them and pressing L trigger.

bdouble

Ok I'm stuck this is probably something very obvious but oh well. Its in the
Ashlands right as your going through the tunnel and there is a crate held by a plant. Same place you get the Carnage enchantment (sweet blood)

I blew up the thing on the other side but now have no where to do. I kinda missed the cutscene and it probably had some clue or something but now I'm stuck.

Amir0x

Banned
bdouble said:
Ok I'm stuck this is probably something very obvious but oh well. Its in the
Ashlands right as your going through the tunnel and there is a crate held by a plant. Same place you get the Chaos enchantment (sweet blood)

I blew up the thing on the other side but now have no where to do. I kinda missed the cutscene and it probably had some clue or something but now I'm stuck.

I dunno what part, but maybe...

slash the plant creature with your boomerang thingy, then jump on crate, let it pick you up, use it to jump to other side?

or if you blew up that one thing,
just jump on the debris that fell to the ceiling and use it to jump to the ledge.

I think these are two cases you might be at.

Magik

Amir0x said:
With the Golem? There are
three of those fights, if you mean the one which reignites the energy beam. And they're all incredibly easy. Remember, you need to put down two portals, one exit and one enter. In separate portal foundations.

If you mean Straga, he is also easy.
You put a portal on the ground, and you wait until his club is in position to put a portal on it. Then when he reaches back, enter portal. Press b into his weakpoint, slash at head. Repeat three times.

Incredibly simple, surprised anyone has a problem with it. In particular, since you seem to have trouble merely opening up portals, it seems you are having a fundamental problem with the mechanics, which suggest you merely are doing it wrong. Remember to clear previous portals by highlighting them and pressing L trigger.

Its the first battle to ignite the energy beam. There are five portal foundations with the boss in the center.

I understand the portal mechanics, the problem is during the boss fight where I'm merely trying to open the first portal it doesn't seem to work all the time.

Whatever really.

Amir0x

Banned
Magik said:
Its the first battle to ignite the energy beam. There are five portal foundations with the boss in the center.

I understand the portal mechanics, the problem is during the boss fight where I'm merely trying to open the first portal it doesn't seem to work all the time.

Whatever really.

Don't know what you could possibly be doing wrong. I literally never missed once.

Go into close aiming mode by clicking the Right Stick, and then manually aim toward the portal foundations on the ground. Make sure, once more, you have both a entrance and an exit portal, as you need both for it to work. Also, to be extra sure, your little cursor becomes highlighted yellow when you are able to place a portal.

dralla

Magik said:

Whatever really.

never had any portals not open up. loved fighting those guys

Magik said:

Whatever really.

are you holding L2 button for strafing and such when you make a portal? because that will cancel the portal right away. I know it's silly, but I've fallen to habit pressing L2 when in aim mode for crossblades lock-on, and I know I've made that mistakes at least once during that golem fight

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Magik said:

Whatever really.

You can exit either portal. Just make sure you fully charge both when u place them and use your wings.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Does anyone know/remember if there are any chests in the Iron Canopy (spider dungeon) that can't be gotten until later? That is, that require an ability that you don't have on your first pass through?

There's this one out-of-sight chest that the Hoardseeker is pointing me too, in a narrow street alley in the early parts of the dungeon, that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to. There are no visible blue or orange grapple points, nor any of those demonic growths to pull myself to...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mejilan said:
Does anyone know/remember if there are any chests in the Iron Canopy (spider dungeon) that can't be gotten until later? That is, that require an ability that you don't have on your first pass through?

There's this one out-of-sight chest that the Hoardseeker is pointing me too, in a narrow street alley in the early parts of the dungeon, that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to. There are no visible blue or orange grapple points, nor any of those demonic growths to pull myself to...

Theres a wood fence there to destroy.

Magik

Callibretto said:
are you holding L2 button for strafing and such when you make a portal? because that will cancel the portal right away. I know it's silly, but I've fallen to habit pressing L2 when in aim mode for crossblades lock-on, and I know I've made that mistakes at least once during that golem fight

You know what, that might be it. I've gotten into the habit of always holding down L2 especially for the crossblades along with everything else during combat.

That sure is embarrassing. :lol

TheFallen

Sigh. I have to grind like 30-40,000 souls, find the last wrath shard, and get 1.3 lvls on the Glove and 1 on the Scythe before I can get my platinum. Gonna be a while.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
TheFallen said:
Sigh. I have to grind like 30-40,000 souls, find the last wrath shard, and get 1.3 lvls on the Glove and 1 on the Scythe before I can get my platinum. Gonna be a while.

Kind of in the same boat, but I'm not waiting until the end for all this. I'm going to max out my weapons (glove was the first one done) now, before finishing the Iron Canopy, and while I'm at it, get as many souls as possible for the shit-ton of crap I need to buy once I'm out of here.

glaurung

Just got to Griever's lair. Still playing on the apocalyptic difficulty and strangely enough the boss battles give me less headaches than the regular encounters. Those armored demons are bitches, especially when they gang up on me. One full combo from those guys destroys circa 1.8 health bars for me.

But I already have some nice moves for the sword, the timed cleaving move and lifters are devastating.

Liked Ulthane, wish he got his own spin-off game at some point.

Since I started out with the hardest difficulty, I will probably go all the way to platinum with this.

Does the Abyssal Armor change the way War looks?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Considering I love action adventures, especially Zelda and Soul Reaver, but tend to get bored with too much combat-focused action games and collectathons forcing you to look for stuff hidden in the most unholy places, should I be getting this game?
I also love Madureira's art for some reason I can't really understand, besides probably nostalgia for my teen years.
From the comments I read it looks like a no-brainer, but I thought about asking anyway.

Spike

I got this for PS3 and Bayonetta for 360 on launch day and I still haven't cracked open Bayonetta yet! I even put Zelda Spirit Tracks on hold to play this. I am just now entering the Ashlands. Yeah, it takes me a while to play through my games, but I am enjoying this game greatly.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
canova said:
Where's that Vigil developer guy, hdn?

I'd like to know if there's any sequel discussion.

Been busy lately, so haven't checked in for a day or so, but to answer your question, YES, we have discussed a sequel. Obviously, how Darksiders sells will impact on if there's an actual sequel developed though.

The latest vg-chartz show a decent first week.

:D

Amir0x

Banned
hdn said:
Been busy lately, so haven't checked in for a day or so, but to answer your question, YES, we have discussed a sequel. Obviously, how Darksiders sells will impact on if there's an actual sequel developed though.

no hdn, don't do it, don't fall into the vg-chartz trap too! For the love of all that is holy, you are loved by GAF! :lol

bridegur

Jocchan said:
Considering I love action adventures, especially Zelda and Soul Reaver, but tend to get bored with too much combat-focused action games and collectathons forcing you to look for stuff hidden in the most unholy places, should I be getting this game?
I also love Madureira's art for some reason I can't really understand, besides probably nostalgia for my teen years.
From the comments I read it looks like a no-brainer, but I thought about asking anyway.

I have a problem with too much combat as well, and although Darksiders has its fair share of it, I haven't had a problem. It's got plenty of exploration, but (about halfway through, at least) no required collectathons. I can't recommend it enough.

Chrange

Banned
hdn said:

http://i47.tinypic.com/5wyyb7.jpg

Don't trust anyone that doesn't trust their own numbers.

voltron

So I just heard on Giantbomb that this is like a total Zelda rip off on 360/PS3. That sounds rad!

I admit I wasnt even giving this game even the slitghtest look in.

Will I be disappointed if I buy it on that premise? I love Zelda, but dont have a Wii and would a love a Zelda type experience on 360.

Does this ever stop being ugly, or is that a common theme? Hotels, parks, and next some inferno. Inoffensive little game, but I'm not given a ton of reasons to keep at it here.

voltron said:
So I just heard on Giantbomb that this is like a total Zelda rip off on 360/PS3. That sounds rad!

Will I be disappointed if I buy it on that premise? I love Zelda, but dont have a Wii and would a love a Zelda type experience on 360.

Zelda (although right now it feels more like Kameo), God of War Jr. on auto-play, etc.
It's a bit of everything, albeit in castrated form, at least up to my current save point.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
AltogetherAndrews said:
Does this ever stop being ugly, or is that a common theme? Hotels, parks, and next some inferno. Inoffensive little game, but I'm not given a ton of reasons to keep at it here.

Oh you

voltron said:

Sounds like this is your game.

Spike

hdn said:

Hope that the sales are good because I really want a sequel. That being said, I would not want to see you guys stick with just this franchise.

Also, I have a question for you, hdn. I didn't receive this secret code inside my copy of Darksiders. Is there any other way I can get one?

_tetsuo_ said:

Well, it's true. The game has pushed me from deliberate ugliness to deliberate ugliness, and I'm not sensing change for some time. Just wondering if there's an opposite to that in the game, say, some colorful natural environments, grand mountain valleys or areas with beautiful or at least attractive architecture.

Firestorm

voltron said:

It's not Zelda, but it scratches the itch.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, it's true. The game has pushed me from deliberate ugliness to deliberate ugliness, and I'm not sensing change for some time. Just wondering if there's an opposite to that in the game, say, some colorful natural environments, grand mountain valleys or areas with beautiful or at least attractive architecture.
There's maybe two areas of nice looking environments. I wish they had a few more =/

Well if it was happy and beautiful it wouldn't really be the apocalypse.

Top Bottom