• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, it's true. The game has pushed me from deliberate ugliness to deliberate ugliness, and I'm not sensing change for some time. Just wondering if there's an opposite to that in the game, say, some colorful natural environments, grand mountain valleys or areas with beautiful or at least attractive architecture.

To defend the game, everything is pretty much located on a ruined modern earth 10 years after everything went to shit. My problem wasn't so much the style as how so many things in the world seem like you could climb them but you're always left hitting an invisible wall.

I'm not necessarily ripping on the game for being what it is (ugly), just wondering if there is anything more to it. I mean, it's a reasonably accomplished kind of ugly, but I feel like I'm going to run into Alex Mercer at any moment.

Oh, and this may just be my limited knowledge of adventure games rearing its head, but those trials before the Broken Stair felt straight up Ratchet. But without robots, or running rounds.

Linkzg said:
To defend the game, everything is pretty much located on a ruined modern earth 10 years after everything went to shit. My problem wasn't so much the style as how so many things in the world seem like you could climb them but you're always left hitting an invisible wall.
100 Years. And really that illusion of climbable objects goes away as soon as you realize how linear and closed in the game is.
AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm not necessarily ripping on the game for being what it is (ugly), just wondering if there is anything more to it. I mean, it's a reasonably accomplished kind of ugly, but I feel like I'm going to run into Alex Mercer at any moment.
There is one area that you might like and that's right before the griever. Its lush, its green, there are some ruins and columns and stuff and that's about it.

forrest

formerly nacire
Can anyone tell me what the empty slot in the inventory,
just under the abyssal armor and armageddon blade is for?

eXistor

This fucking game. I finished it last night. Overall, good first effort by Vigil, loads to improve on for the inevitable sequel. However, I'm just starting up the game again before the final boss to collect all the stiff I didn;t find yet and it turns out my game is glitched. In my quest for the not so hard to find Abyssal armor pieces I have yet to collect the final one. I cannot for the life of me find where this fucker is.

As a last resort I go to youtube to see which one I missed. The one I can't remember collecting is the one in
the Hollows
. So I go there, nothing shows up on my map so I figure I already have it. I go to the place anyway to find...nothing. There's supposed to be a chest right there, but it's not. I put on
the mask of shadows
...nothing. I can jump on it, the chest is there, I just can't see it or interact with it. So now I can never get the armor or the achievement.

It might just be a minor thing and I may be overreacting, but I really feel screwed with this and I'm pretty sure I won't bother with the rest of the collectables. I wanted to go for a 100% playthrough, but as this is now impossible I'm just gonna give up.

Fuck this game.

Flipside

nacire said:
Can anyone tell me what the empty slot in the inventory,
just under the abyssal armor and armageddon blade is for?

I was also curious about this and this is what I found on some forums:

"hearts of the guardians and placeholder for the blue dungeon keys"

It's a bit annoying that
the armageddon blade doesn't have a slot to equip your enhancements
. Now I will just farm souls with the scythe I guess :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
bridegur said:
I have a problem with too much combat as well, and although Darksiders has its fair share of it, I haven't had a problem. It's got plenty of exploration, but (about halfway through, at least) no required collectathons. I can't recommend it enough.
Thanks man :)
I think I'll pick it up as soon as I clear my backlog a bit, then.

KevinCow

Banned
eXistor said:
This fucking game. I finished it last night. Overall, good first effort by Vigil, loads to improve on for the inevitable sequel. However, I'm just starting up the game again before the final boss to collect all the stiff I didn;t find yet and it turns out my game is glitched. In my quest for the not so hard to find Abyssal armor pieces I have yet to collect the final one. I cannot for the life of me find where this fucker is.

As a last resort I go to youtube to see which one I missed. The one I can't remember collecting is the one in
the Hollows
. So I go there, nothing shows up on my map so I figure I already have it. I go to the place anyway to find...nothing. There's supposed to be a chest right there, but it's not. I put on
the mask of shadows
...nothing. I can jump on it, the chest is there, I just can't see it or interact with it. So now I can never get the armor or the achievement.

It might just be a minor thing and I may be overreacting, but I really feel screwed with this and I'm pretty sure I won't bother with the rest of the collectables. I wanted to go for a 100% playthrough, but as this is now impossible I'm just gonna give up.

Fuck this game.

Try destroying all the big cross gravestones.

eXistor

KevinCow said:
Try destroying all the big cross gravestones.

No, the Hollows dungeon (I might be misremembering names here) Anyway, I mean the second dungeon with the water tunnels and such. I did the graveyard thing a long time ago. Thanks anyway.

Footos22

I Love this game! Just beat the spider.But i have encountered some horrible glitches which have made me have to reload on a few occasions. I hated the graphical style to start with but it does grow on you. the repitition of enemies gets a bit annoying though. Same enemies just different colours = lame.

PS3 version.

Right at the beginning of the game going throught the churchish place. i picked up a church pugh near the edge of a platform and war just froze solid.
he couldnt jump, throw the pugh spin round, nothing. Reload.

After obtaining ruin and fighting the first giant sand worm. I Pressed O to initiate the finishing animation, Ruin ran straight into the worm as he's supposed to, being the first time id seen this i thought war was cutting him up from the inside. awesome i thought.
No this wasnt supposed to happen. after the worm fell to the ground there was war falling endlessly through the scenery,for eternity never to die. lol
Reload.

Seen my brother playing his 360 version on Tuesday and i never noticed screen tearing until i seen him play that.
After i mentioned it to him. it pissed him off to no end as he was oblivious to it before. Apart from that they were identical though.

But anyway. I love this game and I am already hoping for a much polished sequel that steps its game up as GOW to GOW2 did

MMaRsu

Did you guys see these yet? The other 3 horsemen..

horsemen_death.jpg

horsemen_fury.jpg

horsemen_strife.jpg

When Vigil boss Joe Madureira told us he’d designed all four of Darksiders’ Horsemen of the Apocalypse, he wasn’t lying. Hit the link to see Strife, Fury and Death revealed.

THQ just popped over the art, showing off War’s end of days buddies in all their glory. Lovely stuff.
All of this is exceedingly good news. Further work on the IP seems inevitable. Madureira has already told us that THQ’s exploring film and other cross-media opportunities, and the publisher’s been publicly upbeat about the game’s post-Christmas release.
Darksiders has had an excellent reception so far, taking MC averages of 85 for PS3 and 84 for 360.

forrest

formerly nacire
Flipside said:
I was also curious about this and this is what I found on some forums:

"hearts of the guardians and placeholder for the blue dungeon keys"

It's a bit annoying that
the armageddon blade doesn't have a slot to equip your enhancements
. Now I will just farm souls with the scythe I guess :D

Thanks for the answer there. I totally forgot about those items being there.
Yeah I really wish you could enhance the armageddon blade as well, or at least switch back to Chaoseater. I really miss my particle effects on my blade. :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MMaRsu said:

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/01/horsemen_death.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/01/horsemen_fury.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/01/horsemen_strife.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure I saw all three these of artworks before somewhere.
Am I imagining things?

KevinCow

Banned
eXistor said:
No, the Hollows dungeon (I might be misremembering names here) Anyway, I mean the second dungeon with the water tunnels and such. I did the graveyard thing a long time ago. Thanks anyway.

Oh, duh. Not sure why I got it confused with the Choking Grounds.

I guess my only advice is to recheck all ten places.

I just defeated Straga and I've entered Eden. Hour-wise, about how long should I have left? I'm really enjoying it so far, was just hoping I could mop it up tonight in a couple hours as I'm playing it on a rental.

I'm playing it on Apocalyptic setting and although a few of the arena-type fights you have to do will become a little frustrating if you're not dodging every attack, once you learn the pattern of the monsters and bosses it becomes quite easy to avoid most damage. I'd suggest any new players play on it, it provides enough of a challenge without you being like "fuck this".

Denzar

ThingontheFloor said:
I just defeated Straga and I've entered Eden. Hour-wise, about how long should I have left? I'm really enjoying it so far, was just hoping I could mop it up tonight in a couple hours as I'm playing it on a rental.

I'm playing it on Apocalyptic setting and although a few of the arena-type fights you have to do will become a little frustrating if you're not dodging every attack, once you learn the pattern of the monsters and bosses it becomes quite easy to avoid most damage. I'd suggest any new players play on it, it provides enough of a challenge without you being like "fuck this".

Nearly done. About an hour or two left, tops.

MMaRsu

Jocchan said:
I'm pretty sure I saw all three these of artworks before somewhere.
Am I imagining things?

Well they aren't new I think, so VG247 or whatever is wrong about that. Still pretty awesome artwork though :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MMaRsu said:
Well they aren't new I think, so VG247 or whatever is wrong about that. Still pretty awesome artwork though :)
Yep, they're pretty awesome and I love Mad's style.
I meant I believe I saw them long ago, though. Probably even before I heard about this game. All three, especially the woman, look so damn familiar to me.

eXistor

KevinCow said:
Oh, duh. Not sure why I got it confused with the Choking Grounds.

I guess my only advice is to recheck all ten places.
I did, I know it's this one. My game is glitched. There isn't a chest where it should be. It's there, I just don't see it. I can jump on it and everything, I'm just jumping on nothing if you know what I mean. like it's invisible. Oh well, nevermind.

Ricker

Speaking of Choking Grounds ,i`m missing the last of the 7 yellow shards you need for a critical event in the game...it`s staring me right in the face on top of a ruined building rooftop but I can`t figure how to get it,even with the Shadow look on....any hints?

Canova

Banned
MMaRsu said:

nice pics

holy crap, that's badass.

I'm glad THQ is aware of the potential of this franchise. I just hope that they focus on the sequel first before dreaming too big with movies and all that

I just got to the Black Throne and didn't do all my backtracking to unlock lots of goodies elsewhere, will I be able to get back to the main overworld at any point?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ricker said:
Speaking of Choking Grounds ,i`m missing the last of the 7 yellow shards you need for a critical event in the game...it`s staring me right in the face on top of a ruined building rooftop but I can`t figure how to get it,even with the Shadow look on....any hints?

There's a tree growing out of the building with two lamps on the branches. There's a hole there.

MMaRsu

Ricker said:

Look to the right with the shadow on ;)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
MMaRsu said:

horsemen_death.jpg

horsemen_fury.jpg

horsemen_strife.jpg

They're awesome and everything, but why change the names of 50% of the Horsemen?

There's Death, War, Pesti.. Strife and Fami... Fury.

Why replace 2 awesome names with less awesome. I mean, c'mon, Strife? Strife is fun and all, but when you've got a brother named WAR it's not exactly impressive. Same goes with Fury. Goddammit, unless he's head of SHIELD, Fury is a sucky name. Especially when you're a Horseman. Of the Apocalypse.

IMHO they should've stayed with Death, War, Famine and Pestilence. Would've allowed for awesome options designwise.

DieH@rd

Banned
neorej said:
They're awesome and everything, but why change the names of 50% of the Horsemen?

Why replace 2 awesome names with less awesome. I mean, c'mon, Strife? Strife is fun and all, but when you've got a brother named WAR it's not exactly impressive. Same goes with Fury. Goddammit, unless he's head of SHIELD, Fury is a sucky name. Especially when you're a Horseman. Of the Apocalypse.

IMHO they should've stayed with Death, War, Famine and Pestilence. Would've allowed for awesome options designwise.

Those artworks are veeeery old. Probably from some old Darksiders project.

forrest

formerly nacire
eXistor said:
I did, I know it's this one. My game is glitched. There isn't a chest where it should be. It's there, I just don't see it. I can jump on it and everything, I'm just jumping on nothing if you know what I mean. like it's invisible. Oh well, nevermind.

Yeah I know exactly what you're saying and that does suck. Have you posted on the official forums for support? I'm sure I'll play though this game again as I really enjoyed it. Maybe you could just step away from it for a couple months then restart it yourself?

Unfortunately, I've had the game lock up about three times while playing it. One time I was farming weapon levels in The Iron Canopy and I dashed right through the floor and began an infinite descent. My auto save file took my Scythe back 1.5 levels >_<

For what it's worth though I had a game crippling glitch in Oblivion that made me completely restart the whole damn thing which feels quite monumental as compared to restarting Darksiders.

neorej said:

Well, Famine probably wouldn't be that much fun, unless there were some kind of eating-your-enemies mechanic. Okay scratch that, Famine might be extremely awesome.

But yeah Fury and Strife don't seem to have any particularly well-defined role just yet. I suppose Strife could turn enemies against each other or something, but that would get old pretty fast.

Dazzyman

supermackem said:
Does it play in 1080p on ps3 at all.

Yes m8 you can force it by usual method (unticking 720p/1080i) and it doesnt suffer and degredation/slowdown or detail blurring (ie like NG Sigma 1 did!).

Canova

Banned
neorej said:

yeah I agree they should stick as close as possible to the original Four Horsemen and their weapons, sword, scythe, scale, and bow.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
ZealousD said:
Careful Haydn, you're walking into a minefield!

whoah, Whoah, WHOAH! where did this come from!? I'll try my best to slowly walk around this field without running, as I have no idea of the "friction" that's obviously between the two places.

I know that the "chartz" figures aren't that accurate, as I have access to real ones, BUT, it's useful just for the actual game's positioning in the charts to be seen by the public.

Anyways, I'll leave that where it is :D

F**k, I'm just buzzing off all the "fun" people are having with the game to be honest. Of course there's a few who don't like it, some are on the fence..that's part of personal opinion...but, it's satisfying to know that the overwhelming majority who bought the game, like it...hell, there's a lot of people that love it. Makes my job more the worth while hearing from the actual customers who have had to shell out their hard earned cash.

MMaRsu

hdn said:
whoah, Whoah, WHOAH! where did this come from!? I'll try my best to slowly walk around this field without running, as I have no idea of the "friction" that's obviously between the two places.

I know that the "chartz" figures aren't that accurate, as I have access to real ones, BUT, it's useful just for the actual game's positioning in the charts to be seen by the public.

F**k, I'm just buzzing off all the "fun" people are having with the game to be honest. Of course there's a few who don't like it, some are on the fence..that's part of personal opinion...but, it's satisfying to know that the overwhelming majority who bought the game, like it...hell, there's a lot of people that love it. Makes my job more the worth while hearing from the actual customers who have had to shell out their hard earned cash.

Well let me tell you, it was surely worth the cash I forked out for it. I don't impulse buy 60 euro games a lot, but I'm glad I did with this game <3

Flipside

Am I missing something for the battle hardened achievement?

I maxed out all 3 weapons and I have at least lvl1 of every available combat move. Do I need to max out the combat moves? Thought I read you didnt need to do that.

forrest

formerly nacire
hdn said:

Glad your buzzing man, you guys definitely deserve it. I saw Bobo the Seal posting about his involvement over on polycount. You may know him, but he would be in the art department.

As far as people loving it, count me as one! I absolutely love the game man, many kudos. It's definitely my style of game and it just resonates with me personally. I can see why folks may not like it, if it's not their thing, but the love and effort put into the game is very evident. I do my best daily to steer people towards it and push them over the fence if they are pandering.

Anyhow, thanks again to you guys for delivering such a great experience. Oh and tell whoever talks to THQ at Vigil, that many of us diehards who have been following the game for years and are pushing it to our friends on the frontline are very dissappointed that we didn't get the Mystery Code packed into our game! :D

*edit- I'd double dip for a PC version!!!

As this is being compared to Zelda a lot, does it have the gameplay of having to obtain a certain weapon or equipment, in order to progress through to another place/dungeon?

Top Bottom