• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, it's definitely a solid first effort. But there's tons of room for improvement, IMHO.
Hopefully sales will justify the realization of a sequel. A vastly improved sequel.

Kingpen

Could someone do a spoiler list of the weapons you get in this game?

I may trade some stuff in that I don't play for this at lunch as I like Zelda and GOW but don't have their respective systems to play on.

Canova

Banned
hdn said:
Been busy lately, so haven't checked in for a day or so, but to answer your question, YES, we have discussed a sequel. Obviously, how Darksiders sells will impact on if there's an actual sequel developed though.

The latest vg-chartz show a decent first week.

:D

awesome for sequel!

This franchise has a lot of potential. I love it. My only complain is that the Black Throne puzzles are too difficult :lol I just want to kill the end boss already

About sale number, had you guys advertise this game a bit more, you'd have better sale number. There's plenty of people found out about this game just one or two weeks before release. And most people who've played it have good reviews

luffeN

MarkMclovin said:
As this is being compared to Zelda a lot, does it have the gameplay of having to obtain a certain weapon or equipment, in order to progress through to another place/dungeon?

Yes. There are some places you cannot access at first.

Kingpen said:

I may trade some stuff in that I don't play for this at lunch as I like Zelda and GOW but don't have their respective systems to play on.
Wood sword
Boomerang
Bombs
wand that makes blocks
hook shot
Bow and arrows
flute
horse
an even better sword
Fire tunic
Water tunic
and
a dildo (I haven't used it yet I don't know why it's in the game.)

Denzar

Kingpen said:

Weapons:

Chaos Eater (a big bad-ass sword, and your main weapon)
Scythe
Tremor Glove (kind of like the fist from GoW: Chains of Olympus or The Cestus from GoW III)

Secondary Weapons and Gadgets

Earthcaller (a horn that can blast shockwaves)
Crossblade (A boomerang inspired blade you can throw)
Abyssal Chain
Mercy (a gun :) )
Voidwalker (portal gun)
Mask Of Shadows (see stuff that isn't there when you're not wearing the mask)

Einbroch

Banned
Just beat the game last night, and...wow.

I really don't see how anything except maybe Mass Effect 2 or Final Fantasy XIII can top this for my GOTY 2010.

Absolutely stunning. Loved the art, loved the combat, loved the story (it did it's job), loved the ending (ENDING SPOILERS:
When War said "Not alone..." and three balls of light flew by in the background I literally said "Fuck yeah."
, loved everything.

Just...wow.

Denzar

Einbroch said:
Just beat the game last night, and...wow.

I really don't see how anything except maybe Mass Effect 2 or Final Fantasy XIII can top this for my GOTY 2010.

Absolutely stunning. Loved the art, loved the combat, loved the story (it did it's job), loved the ending (ENDING SPOILERS:
When War said "Not alone..." and three balls of light flew by in the background I literally said "Fuck yeah."
, loved everything.

Just...wow.

I would love to have SEEN them though. And yes, I know the concept art can be found on the net.

Ricker

neorej said:
There's a tree growing out of the building with two lamps on the branches. There's a hole there.

Damn,thanks,I must of passed in front of that hole 5 or 6 times,killing that big guy each time trying to figure out where to go hehe...

I won't be using these so here are some free Avatar codes :

War Armor (female version) code: FBG7F-W3GWM-C47HX-67MH9-TXMJJ
Ruin Mask (female version) code: RX3VX-HYHW9-G87TT-Y867K-Q34PM

forrest

formerly nacire
I tried to put them in for myself only to realize they were for a female avatar. I redeemed them for my wife who has zilch for her avatar so she will be excited! Thanks for sharing!:D

But yeah might be better to do a pm, first come first serve.

KanZolo

I played through the first dungeon and I liked it. It's fun and it emulates other games well. I know if I played through it I would like it even more but I'll wait a year when it drops to $20.

There was something off to me about it and I couldn't put my finger on it but I think I may have figured it out.

In a game similar to Zelda, I would rather play as a character more like Link, ICO or Wander. Someone who is not a total badass (though Kratos would kick the shit out of War).

Mejilan

It's a pretty easy game to 100%, in that sense.
It can all be done in one pass, instead of requiring multiple runs (fuck you Uncharted), and only 3-4 of the trophies/achievements are miss-able. All in all, it's a fairly straight-forward 1000/platinum.

glaurung

Mejilan said:
It's a pretty easy game to 100%, in that sense.
It can all be done in one pass, instead of requiring multiple runs (fuck you Uncharted), and only 3-4 of the trophies/achievements are miss-able. All in all, it's a fairly straight-forward 1000/platinum.
Yes, but where can I do my High Flier trophy when I missed it during the first set of challenge rooms?

I think the Open Air Parking is the single hopelessly missable trophy.

Mejilan

glaurung said:
Yes, but where can I do my High Flier trophy when I missed it during the first set of challenge rooms?

Open Air Parking, Aerial Predator, and Who's Counting (the Ulthane one, might have screwed up the name) are all purely situational, and thus, miss-able.

Depending on who you ask, the Improvised Kills trophy might be miss-able as well, since most environmental objects do not respawn when destroyed.

High Flier is the one that pertains to gutting 5 (or more) of those flying bat demons before touching ground? I recall at least one room in the Twilight Cathedral that had a bunch of those beasties. Assuming they respawn (and I think they do), then finding the room(s) shouldn't prove too much of a challenge. If they're scattered, run around the room to agro enough of them, wait until you're surrounded, and do your business.

Edit - I think the little courtyard/street right outside the Twilight Cathedral might have 5 as well. I can definitely think of 4 offhand, and there's at least 1 more far off, past some grapple points. Might be tricky to get all 5 safely together, however. *shrugs*

glaurung

Aerial Predator is unlocked by killing 160 enemies during the griffon flight and you cannot repeat the flight or do any place else?

In that case I need to get it during the second playthrough. Do the kills stack?

Mejilan

The helicopter, Angelic Mount, and Ulthane scenes are one time only.
If you don't have a save old enough to replay those scenes, you'll have to restart.

glaurung said:
Open Air Parking is the easiest of all the miseable ones. It takes about 5 minutes to start up a new game and get it.
glaurung said:
In that case I need to get it during the second playthrough. Do the kills stack?
You can only get it during that one sequence and you have to get 160 all in one go.
Mejilan said:
Depending on who you ask, the Improvised Kills trophy might be miss-able as well, since most environmental objects do not respawn when destroyed.
I am pretty sure they do or at least there are so many of them that it doesn't really matter. I honestly don't know what kind of a person it would take to manage to break every single parking meter and street light to be able to miss out on the achievement. Although it is easier to get in the beginning.

Mejilan

Well, not exactly. You do have to get all 160 kills during the entire Angelic Mount sequence. However, since there are check points where the game saves your progress, you CAN do the run in parts, reloading and redoing the current segment for an optimal number of kills. In other words, you don't have to play through the entire Angelic Mount sequence in one shot.

Mejilan said:
Well, not exactly. You do have to get all 160 kills during the entire Angelic Mount sequence. However, since there are check points where the game saves your progress, you CAN do the run in parts, reloading and redoing the current segment for an optimal number of kills. In other words, you don't have to play through the entire Angelic Mount sequence in one shot.
Well if you are looking at it from that point of view than you only need to replay the last section since thats where you get most of the kills.

Mejilan

The opposite is also true. If you do very poorly in that first segment, it could make reaching 160 almost impossible.

It helps a TON to get to the fiery caves with a good 35-40 kills under your belt. There are a surprising number of "hidden" kills available in that first outdoor segment. Lots of ground units easily taken out by blowing up strategically placed trucks and tankers. I replayed that bit a number of times until I got close to 40 kills, and that made things much easier for the remainder of the sequence.

Canova

Banned
KanZolo said:
I played through the first dungeon and I liked it. It's fun and it emulates other games well. I know if I played through it I would like it even more but I'll wait a year when it drops to $20.

There was something off to me about it and I couldn't put my finger on it but I think I may have figured it out.

In a game similar to Zelda, I would rather play as a character more like Link, ICO or Wander. Someone who is not a total badass (though Kratos would kick the shit out of War).
:lol

You wish. War would bitch-slap Kratos back to Mt. Olympus

Pimpbaa

MarkMclovin said:
As this is being compared to Zelda a lot, does it have the gameplay of having to obtain a certain weapon or equipment, in order to progress through to another place/dungeon?

It is more Soul Reaver than Zelda. Almost to the point where it seems like a spiritual successor to the Soul Reaver series.

canova said:
:lol

You wish. War would bitch-slap Kratos back to Mt. Olympus
War is a lot less emotional that Kratos really. There is supposed to be that deep smoldering rage/anger somewhere underneath but he is never as manic as Kratos is. War doesn't go for any kind of flashy stuff like caving some ones head in with a door or trying to rip somebodies head of, just fist through the chest and rip the heart out, done.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KanZolo said:
(though Kratos would kick the shit out of War).

Bullshit. At full power, the 4 Horsemen alone are enough to bring both the full powers of Heaven and Hell to their very knees. Kratos has trouble with a single god. War just needs to go into Chaos form and Kratos is fucked.

Denzar

ZealousD said:
Bullshit. At full power, the 4 Horsemen alone are enough to bring both the full powers of Heaven and Hell to their very knees. Kratos has trouble with a single god. War just needs to go into Chaos form and Kratos is fucked.

Kratos has killed 2 gods, and wil probably kill 'em all by the end of GoW III.

Just sayin'

KevinCow

Banned
The embodiment of War vs. (a guy who was at one point) the God of War? Interesting concept. I'm not sure who I'd put my money on.

Pimpbaa said:
It is more Soul Reaver than Zelda. Almost to the point where it seems like a spiritual successor to the Soul Reaver series.

I should probably get around to playing this Soul Reaver game at some point.

KevinCow said:
The embodiment of War vs. (a guy who was at one point) the God of War? Interesting concept. I'm not sure who I'd put my money on.
War. Just like Death both are merely personifications of concepts, its impossible to kill them entirely. Its like asking how do you kill Santa Claus?

spats

Just got this game today and played through the
Panzer Dragoon section
and went through a bit of the Twilight Cathedral.

Got some real Soul Reaver flashbacks aswell, as some people stated earlier. There couldn't be a better compliment in my books :D

The camera still bugs me out a _bit_, but that's about the only criticism so far. The plot is crazy, I LOVE the visual look and the action is really fluid. It's just good honest fun. First goty contender for me. :)

edit:

just saw that G4's x-play gave the game a 2/5. What a joke.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lostconfused said:
War is a lot less emotional that Kratos really. There is supposed to be that deep smoldering rage/anger somewhere underneath but he is never as manic as Kratos is. War doesn't go for any kind of flashy stuff like caving some ones head in with a door or trying to rip somebodies head of, just fist through the chest and rip the heart out, done.

Have you killed Straga? That was personal.

KevinCow

Banned
Lostconfused said:
War. Just like Death both are merely personifications of concepts, its impossible to kill them entirely. Its like asking how do you kill Santa Claus?

Is it possible to kill Kratos entirely? I mean he's died twice already and all that's done is make him angrier.

Speaking of killing War, that's something I didn't totally get. In the intro, it seems to imply that Straga kills War and it just sends him to the Charred Council. Yet when they send War to Earth to do his thing, War says something like, "If the demons kill me, they will have carried out my execution for you," so it's implied that if he dies, he'll be gone for good.

And on top of that, what of the humans? Their physical bodies were all killed off in the apocalypse, but shouldn't their spirits have gone to Heaven or Hell?

How does death work in the Darksiders world? It seems like sometimes you're gone for good, while other times you aren't.

MentalNoiz said:
I won't be using these so here are some free Avatar codes :

War Armor (female version) code: FBG7F-W3GWM-C47HX-67MH9-TXMJJ
Ruin Mask (female version) code: RX3VX-HYHW9-G87TT-Y867K-Q34PM

Both gone, damnit LURKERS!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KevinCow said:
Speaking of killing War, that's something I didn't totally get. In the intro, it seems to imply that Straga kills War and it just sends him to the Charred Council.

Endgame spoilers:
The Council intentionally sent War to Earth to set him up. They wanted to punish Abaddon but without full proof they couldn't send all 4 Horsemen. So they sent War to Earth so that he could be "blamed" for causing the Apocalypse and then go on a quest for vengeance. It's likely that the council saved War from death.

Canova

Banned
Neuromancer said:
My money's on War. Kratos is too easily distracted by female breasts. His head's just not in the game.

yup, in the end Kratos has his weakness, like other mortals, he's a perv. perv can easily be defeated by bunch of hoes with big boobs

MrOctober

Banned
What the fuck how do you fight in this game? I'm at the very early stages where the mini boss or whatever jumps over the broken parts of the bridge and throws cars at you. He then jumps to my ledge and proceeds to hit me twice and drain 3/4 of a life bar. I try hitting him but then he just hits me and there goes almost all my life. I try blocking but I have no idea what you can and can't block in this game because some things just fuck my shit up even though I'm blocking. I try hitting him and then dashing away but his second swipe still hits me because you have to fucking pause after a dash. What the fuck am I doing wrong that I'm finding every single fight in this game so fucking hard? I'm playing on normal as well.

I also just bought the Scythe and it's not helping.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MrOctober said:
What the fuck how do you fight in this game? I'm at the very early stages where the mini boss or whatever jumps over the broken parts of the bridge and throws cars at you. He then jumps to my ledge and proceeds to hit me twice and drain 3/4 of a life bar. I try hitting him but then he just hits me and there goes almost all my life. I try blocking but I have no idea what you can and can't block in this game because some things just fuck my shit up even though I'm blocking. I try hitting him and then dashing away but his second swipe still hits me because you have to fucking pause after a dash. What the fuck am I doing wrong that I'm finding every single fight in this game so fucking hard? I'm playing on normal as well.

I also just bought the Scythe and it's not helping.

Earthcaller stuns/knocks back enemies. Abuse that against those guys.

ok...I'm finally stuck. Very close to the end of the Black Throne...

I have killed the third golem and have made my way back across the big outdoor area and am stuck in a room. It is a large circular room with a hovering platform in the middle with two portals on it. I know I clearly need to activate those two portals and hit the switch to rotate the platform 90 degrees. The problem is I can't figure out how to open that door on the side to let the beam pass through.

There are two switches on the left and right of that door...and I have successfully got both triggered at the same time (using the slow mo thing, cross blade, and the soul beam) but the fn' door won't open.

What the holy fuck am I doing wrong?

HELP!

Anyways, this game rocks. Been waiting for this shit to come out for like 2 years and it did not disappoint. I especially love War's animations.

Just can't believe I finally got stuck.

bdouble

_tetsuo_ said:
Earthcaller stuns/knocks back enemies. Abuse that against those guys.
This is the only thing about combat. There is usually a pretty good and easy way to beat almost all enemies (especially when you get Chaos form) but its not very clear. Blocking and counters I haven't used since the challenge arena and its kinda sad.

I hope they keep the same base combat and just vary it up a bit next time. They don't need to do to much to it just tweak it so these things are more straightforward and effective. Then just add more upgrades. I liked how having different secondaries brought just enough variety. I love air launching an enemy doing a few hacks with my sword then punching them to the ground with the gauntlet.

So far though this game despite its pretty frequent and obvious shortcomings it sure does have a lot going for it. Biggest thing probably being the fact that not many games aren't doing this sor of game and its really really odd because of games like Zelda and Metroid do it and its so rewarding.

Good Luck Vigil.

Top Bottom