• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Captain N

nacire said:
Okay so I've been at the end for days, have done everything except for killing 150 enemies with environment objects and Rid Ruin for x amount of miles. Any suggestions for these two trophies? I still have to start a new game to get the helicopter and aerial predator trophies, but then that's it.

I was curious if the kill counter on the environment kills will start over on a new play and if shooting the ground objects during the flying sequence contributed to environment kills. If so, I'm gonna get the Ruin trophy and beat this game.

Here is what I found over at the ps3trophies.org thread.

This trophy can be a hassle due to the lack of environmental objects, and the toughness of some mobs.

The easiest way to do this trophy is to go to the Iron Canopy Spiders (See "Tip 1" on how to get there, and effectively utilize them), and throw all environmental objects at the spiders until the trophy pops.

Ride 100 miles.

Simply ride 100 total (cumulative) miles over the course of a single playthrough on your horse. The easiest way to do this is to rubberband your controller directly left or right, while somewhere wide open and safe. A great place to do this is in the Ashlands where you fought Stygian.

This will take some time (~2-3hours) to complete even rubberbanded, so just let it be for quite a while.

F8L FOOL created the thread..not sure if he got those two.

nacire said:
Okay so I've been at the end for days, have done everything except for killing 150 enemies with environment objects and Rid Ruin for x amount of miles. Any suggestions for these two trophies? I still have to start a new game to get the helicopter and aerial predator trophies, but then that's it.

I was curious if the kill counter on the environment kills will start over on a new play and if shooting the ground objects during the flying sequence contributed to environment kills. If so, I'm gonna get the Ruin trophy and beat this game.
It really depends on how many environment kills you think you did. Its easier to do it from the beginning of the game but you can get it done at the end anyways. All the way at the starting area of the game is the best place to do it though because you can use anything from light posts to parking meters or desks and chairs. Zombies still spawn there even if you are at the end, also throwing objects does more damage than just hitting with them. Obviously the easiest way to do the Ruin achievement is to just go to the ashlands boss area and put something on the controller thumb stick so Ruin runs in a circle forever.

MMaRsu

RPGCrazied said:
can you beat this in a rental? money is tight, and im buying FF13..

You can if you rent it for a week or something. Deserves the sale though :p. Buy it and trade it towards FF13?

Finished the game on Apocalytic last night with 78% trophies completed and most of the items gathered. What a blast! Only disappointment is
once you craft the final sword you can't use any of said items with it.
but it's a minor complaint. Very last scene before it fades to black; fucking shaweet :D. I'm not much of a completionist but I have a strong urge to put off finishing Dragon Age on hold while I get the remaining 12% trophies.

RPGCrazied said:
can you beat this in a rental? money is tight, and im buying FF13..

It's possible, I finished it on a week rental with a few days of not playing. It's about a 15 hour game, so keep that in mind. Took me about 17 on Apocalyptic, but that included a couple hours of staring blankly at puzzles.

I've seen some vids on Youtibe and it seems people have got treasure location maps of the areas outside of dungeons. So where are these found? I've got the one in the Crossroads.

Would help me greatly as I'm missing just one Lifestone and 2 Wrath shards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Katana_Strikes said:
I've seen some vids on Youtibe and it seems people have got treasure location maps of the areas outside of dungeons. So where are these found? I've got the one in the Crossroads.

Would help me greatly as I'm missing just one Lifestone and 2 Wrath shards.

It's one of the Legendary weapon attachment's. Fury something or other. It's in the black throne, first tower, in the room with the bottomless floor with the dusk bats and bridge you have to activate to cross.

ZealousD said:
It's one of the Legendary weapon attachment's. Fury something or other. It's in the black throne, first tower, in the room with the bottomless floor with the dusk bats and bridge you have to activate to cross.

Sweet many thanks!

roxya

Help!

In the Black Throne, I was going up an elevator after
activating the 3rd beam
, one with purple lighting and stuff spinning around the outside. Really nice looking, so I looked around a bit. When it got to the top, I fell through the floor and landed at the bottom. I don't see a way to bring it back down. Loaded my last autosave and the elevator is still up... am I screwed?

edit: No idea what that elevator was, but I didn't redirect the 3rd beam yet... now I did, let's see if I needed it :lol

woot! Got all the shards and collectables now. Just grinding my horse miles now and on to complete it tomorrow.

The only other trophy I need is the Max all weapons. Jees, I think it takes way to long to upgrade them and to get enough souls to buy things, especially as there's no New Game +. What were they thinking!!! That would be my one complaint about this game.

I'd say after the 1st dungeon, the games isn't very tough enough on Hardest. Very good game though and will so far be my GotY (not hard).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Grinnnnndin miles. Got the controller hanging from one of the handles on my desk by the analog stick. Spinin spinnin spinnin round.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Captain N said:
I tried looking for it and sadly couldn't find anything. There is a comic book though..not quick the same look as the opening with the war.

Too bad. Maybe some of it'll pop up in the art updates on the website (still going on if I'm not mistaken), or someone rips them off the dvd someday.

spats

Finished it a while ago. I thought the length was perfect even though some of the puzzles started feeling a bit repetitive towards the end. Didn't mind the backtracking bit at all, on the contrary.

Ended up with 6/10 parts for the abyssal armor with kinda just storming through the game. Might go back later and collect the bunch.

About the ending,
I really liked it. The possibilities for a sequel are endless!

Oh and could somebody please explain the
gentleman zombie magician that I ran into in a cave when I had my shadow mask on http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/dweezl/70c4a7c7-862e-4725-869a-2953a2315a1.jpg :lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
got the abyssal armor and true sword... now i cant find azrael in teh desert! wtf ive been riding for 40 minutes with mask equipped and rage quitted. gonna retry tomorrow with a clear head.

why the hell they didnt make a yellow dot baffles me.

John said:
I've gone through the game one and a half times and I've never met this gentlemen. I MUST BE INTRODUCED.

I've met him 4 times now in different locations. I'm not sure if I got any souls for killing him first 2 times but I certainly did last 2.

Tiduz said:
got the abyssal armor and true sword... now i cant find azrael in teh desert! wtf ive been riding for 40 minutes with mask equipped and rage quitted. gonna retry tomorrow with a clear head.

why the hell they didnt make a yellow dot baffles me.

There is a yellow dot... well at least on mine. You need to go back to the place you beat the
giant worm boss that's was chained up
. At the back there's a blue air ride thingy, when you get near it... the joker... Watcher tells you you can't go back after this point.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I met the gentleman zombie twice so far (about to head towards the Black Throne). Once was in Anvil's Ford, after I got the ability to open the doors myself. He was by a tree on a ledge right before a grapple point towards a tiny little area with a chest. The second time I met him was outside the Twilight Cathedral, beyond the series of grapple points in a small cave off to the side.

Yes, you get souls for beating him. A decent amount, IIRC.

It's ridiculous how expensive certain things are. I got every chest, never bought consumables, killed every enemy I saw even while backtracking and I would still need something like 50k to get the rest of the moves and upgrade the wrath abilities.

Also a few questions about the story

When did Abaddon become the Destroyer? War mentions he kept the truth from Uriel but that would only make sense if he was the Destroyer prior to the game starting and War also mentions that Abaddon was betrayed but by whom? Who made him the Destroyer?

Mejilan

Ok, this is just fucking stupid.
I've had Ruin running in circles for almost an hour now, with my DS3 plugged in to charge and the analog stick held down with a rubber band, and I still haven't gotten the trophy. Was anyone actually supposed to have been able to unlock this one without resulting to such cheesy tactics?

And this is after having actually naturally gotten the 150 on-horse kills trophy (without cheesing).

SaitoH

Man, the Black throne was an excellent dungeon!

I'm currently farming the last level for my glove, though I guess I'll save the 100 mile horse trophy and the 150 environment kills for an Apocalyptic playthrough.

Great job Vigil!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mejilan said:
Ok, this is just fucking stupid.
I've had Ruin running in circles for almost an hour now, with my DS3 plugged in to charge and the analog stick held down with a rubber band, and I still haven't gotten the trophy. Was anyone actually supposed to have been able to unlock this one without resulting to such cheesy tactics?

And this is after having actually naturally gotten the 150 on-horse kills trophy (without cheesing).

Yeah, the game doesn't offer you enough areas to legitimately get that. I would probably say the same for the max out all weapons thing, they take awhile to boost up, even with the experience boosters.

However, be thankful the 100 miles with ruin isn't even close to the 100,000 km traveled in Vesperia. The game always moves all your stats onto new games, but it didn't keep distance traveled. After beating the game I had to rubberband the controller on Ba'ul(what you use to fly) and literally have it on overnight, and I STILL didn't have it. I don't get the point in achievements like that, they simply aren't possible and you certainly don't "achive" anything after farming it.

Truespeed

I just saw the Giant Bomb video review and where in the hell did this game come from. It looks great on both platforms, steals from all the right games and actually has a decent storyline. This was never on my radar, but it is now.

Amir0x

Banned
Ah finally beat the game on Apocalyptic. Got all the artifacts, abyssal armor and life shards and need like 3,000 souls for the Wrath Core in the store. Won't bother with that though. Won't bother to try to level up the final two weapons all the way just for an achievements either. I hate achievements anyway.

Overall, difficulty was way overstated - hardly any trouble with the game. The last boss was so easy, didn't die at all.

Final score would probably be something like 8/10, I think, maybe a little lower... definitely a solid game, a disappointing Zelda title, but it reflects that Vigil is an upcoming talent who has the potential to do truly great things. Black Throne in particular showcased the ability to really think out of the box, and turned
"lights/reflect mirrors"
thing into something special and unique.

Basically for Darksider's 2 I hope they have more dungeons like Black Throne and Twilight Cathedral. At least 4 or 5 like that, and I'll be happy. Of course, this costs money so what do I know!

Gonna be interesting with the
other three horsemen
. Was wondering the whole game about that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just bought a copy, going to play right now. can't wait! :D

Mejilan

And done. Platinum trophy and everything. All in my first, and likely only, run through the game. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Lots of good ideas. Just as much poor execution. When it's right, it's damn fucking good. When it's wrong, it just left me shaking my head.

In the crossroads area, with the building that has a piece of the armageddon blade. On my map it says there's a chest in front of the building, but there's nothing there. I've searched everywhere but don't see anything. Am I crazy or is there a chest?

KevinCow

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
In the crossroads area, with the building that has a piece of the armageddon blade. On my map it says there's a chest in front of the building, but there's nothing there. I've searched everywhere but don't see anything. Am I crazy or is there a chest?

Destroy all the hydrants in the area.

voltron

Been playing a lot of Darksiders this weekend. Really digging it. Just enjoying the atmosphere and vibe of the game.

Hopefully it evolves to more of a Zelda game than a Devil May Cry game like people have said.

Back tracking to get all the pieces of the
Armageddon Sword, will probably look for the last 3 pieces of the Abyssal armor while I'm at it.

Overall the only thing that bothered me with the was the weird dodging and some enemies having way too much health.

Took me about 1.5hrs to max all the Fist weapon up and the last 2 lvls for the Scythe, with the Legendary attachments equipped. Farming in the Spiders dungeon. Took about 2 hrs to do the horse miles trophy.

On my way to Platinum this badboy now as I'm right before the end. 1 Silver, 3 Golds and 1 Platinum. Bam!:D

Arnie

Ok, final thoughts. I have decided to put this game down after a while of playing it as it has begun to grate on me and I am not enjoying it. The part that really tore the fun out of it for me was in the Black Throne.

It took me quite a while to get the first beam back to the central room and I thought that this was it. I didn't realise the game would simply make me arduously repeat the process another two times simply to draw out the game's length. The realisation when I reached the central room again, only to see another two heads tore all fun from this game for me. I have had mixed feelings for the game throughout, with the combat feeling cheap and inconsistent. One minute enemies are easy to demolish, the next they manage to get cheap hits on you that pretty much take 70% of your total life. I'm playing on Apocalyptic.

Secondly if you happen to die, despite having full health at the checkpoint, you always respawn with only 3 bars of health leaving me feeling cheated because no matter how well I come into a situation, if a die I get fucked over.

Finally I found the game to be overly repetitive, feeling artificial in order to extend the play time. In conclusion I guess Darksiders just wasn't for me. I never particularly loved the combat or the puzzles and the copying from other games was more of a put off than a turn on for me.

ukas

Arnie said:
Ok, final thoughts. I have decided to put this game down after a while of playing it as it has begun to grate on me and I am not enjoying it. The part that really tore the fun out of it for me was in the Black Throne.

The same thing happened with me. I was ready to put down the game completely but, I made it through the tower. It's not something that I want to do again, that's for sure.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
after hearing good things, picked it up today - traded in some old games to get it.
pretty awesome so far, the combat feels like it has real weight to it, and i love the atmosphere. it's got a nice zelda/metroid esque progression so far too. the intro was really offputting - it felt ultra generic but soon picked up. and the horn sounds awesome :D

i'm enjoying taking chances and buying certain games without knowing much about them. i did the same with borderlands and loved it. hope this turns out the same!

Amir0x

Banned
Arnie said:

It took me quite a while to get the first beam back to the central room and I thought that this was it. I didn't realise the game would simply make me arduously repeat the process another two times simply to draw out the game's length. The realisation when I reached the central room again, only to see another two heads tore all fun from this game for me. I have had mixed feelings for the game throughout, with the combat feeling cheap and inconsistent. One minute enemies are easy to demolish, the next they manage to get cheap hits on you that pretty much take 70% of your total life. I'm playing on Apocalyptic.

Secondly if you happen to die, despite having full health at the checkpoint, you always respawn with only 3 bars of health leaving me feeling cheated because no matter how well I come into a situation, if a die I get fucked over.

Finally I found the game to be overly repetitive, feeling artificial in order to extend the play time. In conclusion I guess Darksiders just wasn't for me. I never particularly loved the combat or the puzzles and the copying from other games was more of a put off than a turn on for me.

That's more than a little misleading, the idea that the
three beam redirection segments are merely forcing you to "arduously repeat the process". Each beam is a series of unique puzzles, requiring unique utilization of your tools and lateral thinking. Like the best Zelda dungeons, it has a theme and a harmony to the way the level works out and unlocks, but the fact that the theme is consistent does not make it some lazy level extending design simply to "draw out the game's length".

Maybe some people don't want Zelda but there is nothing lazy about Black Throne. It is the best dungeon in the game by a good country mile. But much like the overhyped difficulty, where people say the game is hard and yet I barely had any deaths at all on Apocalyptic (I just chalk this up to gamer skill differences), I think some people just don't want Zelda in their games..

Twilight Cathedral and Black Throne are the best parts of Darksider. Shame some people don't like them.

Just finished it. Like Arkham Asylum I was a fan of the exploration and puzzles but I didn't care for the combat in either game. Though the boss battles were fun. And I also liked the setup for the sequel. 7/10

spats

Amir0x said:
Maybe some people don't want Zelda but there is nothing lazy about Black Throne. It is the best dungeon in the game by a good country mile. But much like the overhyped difficulty, where people say the game is hard and yet I barely had any deaths at all on Apocalyptic (I just chalk this up to gamer skill differences), I think some people just don't want Zelda in their games..

Twilight Cathedral and Black Throne are the best parts of Darksider. Shame some people don't like them.

I agree. There was one puzzle in particular
where you moved water from one room to another with the portal gun which I thought was brilliant.
As I said in an earlier post, they built an awesome foundation for a sequel with this game.

Amir0x

Banned
spats said:
I agree. There was one puzzle in particular where you
moved water from one room to another with the portal gun which I thought was brilliant.
As I said in an earlier post, they built an awesome foundation for a sequel with this game.

I know exactly what puzzle you mean. when I finished that one, even though the solution wasn't terribly difficult, I said "jesus that is clever." I hope they expand on the ideas in places like that. So fucking good.

And I hope the
portal gun
returns for the sequel.

Top Bottom