• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No new game plus, but if you reunite all the pieces of the Abyssal Armor, it can optionally carry over to future play throughs. But just that.

There are 4 tophat zombie fights, IIRC, and they're basically just a funny easter egg. Worth a decent amount of souls with each kill, of course.

Just finished... enjoyed it immensely. The ending was completely satisfying, with just enough questions (
Who was the chick who corrupted Abbadon?
) to make the sequel mandatory.
They... they wouldn't try to use the other horsemen to shoehorn cooperative, would they? No... they'd ruin it. Perhaps you use each of the other horsemen & their abilities like you would a new tool in this one?

Regardless... I can now begin either Bayonetta on the 360 or Killzone 2, which I purchased on the same day as Darksiders, but have been unable to even load the title screen for, due to awesomeness.

dudes i was cruising through this game until i got to this part in the black tower. its right after you beat that giant robot guy and then go up the elevator and enter the door you came in through.

well, there's these 2 witch chicks who seem to disappear for a short time after you get 1 hit on them. very frustrating cause i've had my ass handed to me here!

i beat the 2 witches, then this giant monster comes out (fine), but then after i beat him a bunch of red angels come out, another big monster, and another fucking witch :lol

any tips to beat these whores?

Firestorm

Mango Positive said:
Just finished... enjoyed it immensely. The ending was completely satisfying, with just enough questions (
They... they wouldn't try to use the other horsemen to shoehorn cooperative, would they? No... they'd ruin it. Perhaps you use each of the other horsemen & their abilities like you would a new tool in this one?

Regardless... I can now begin either Bayonetta on the 360 or Killzone 2, which I purchased on the same day as Darksiders, but have been unable to even load the title screen for, due to awesomeness.
Co-op Zelda sounds awesome.

I think im screwed. Im at silthia. I have3 life bars, and two yellow bars. NOOOOO chaos filled up, i mean its at mad empty.

I think i know the routine, but i cant beat her, one stomp takes like a full bar. with no chaos form this is going to be tough.

JdFoX187

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
dudes i was cruising through this game until i got to this part in the black tower. its right after you beat that giant robot guy and then go up the elevator and enter the door you came in through.

well, there's these 2 witch chicks who seem to disappear for a short time after you get 1 hit on them. very frustrating cause i've had my ass handed to me here!

i beat the 2 witches, then this giant monster comes out (fine), but then after i beat him a bunch of red angels come out, another big monster, and another fucking witch :lol

EXACT SAME spot I got stuck on for an hour in the exact same manner. The best thing to do is make sure you try take out the smaller enemies out as soon as possible, that way you can focus on the bitch witches. Once you do that, just hold down the block button. As soon as they get done with their combos, lay into them and make sure you do the lunging attack that keeps them bouncing. Try to juggle them as much as possible because they will disappear if you let them get their barings. After you've beaten them, use your chaos form on the other monsters that come out.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I think im screwed. Im at silthia. I have3 life bars, and two yellow bars. NOOOOO chaos filled up, i mean its at mad empty.

I think i know the routine, but i cant beat her, one stomp takes like a full bar. with no chaos form this is going to be tough.

Silthia doesn't have a gimmick. You just need to master dodging. As soon as she teleports, dodge. Then slash away until she teleports again.

bdouble

cornerman said:
I'm playing and I"m wondering if there's a new game plus?

Also, any idea who the guy in the top hat is? I've ran across him three times now.
No and yeah only one time though. Pretty cool. they need more random encounters like that.

Aslo have to add to the Zelda comparison. Yes it borrows from that formula in Item Dungeon Boss but I feel like the rest of the game is more Metroid. Using items in different parts of the game to gain more abilities or powerups. Lots of back tracking. Being alone (why are people complaining of no towns when its the Apocalypse?)

Hell I hope they lean more towards Metroidvania with secrets, more powers and more open ness next time around. Needs more platforming, puzzles and options (both exploration and upgrades, combat).

Even with item that helps you find chests/treasures it is still hard to find chests/treasures :(

I am standing right over one of the green things on the map, and there is no green thing there in the game. Also, there is no underwater or secret entrances either to find where it says there is a green thing... gah!!!

Also, I see two chests on the big map, but fuck me I cannot seem to find a way to get to the area where they are

AND YOU WANT ME TO RIDE MY HORSE HOW MUCH?????

KevinCow

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
Eh, it was good. But I was wanting a little more closure and a few things went unanswered.
Where did Samael go now that he had all the power he wanted? What's going to happen to the Kingdom of Man?
They did their job in getting me to bite at the bit for a sequel.

What's going to happen to the Kingdom of Man? Nothing. Man is gone. Completely wiped out thanks to the premature apocalypse.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just up to the Twilight Cathedral now (haven't played any of it yet).

I'm not really feeling it yet. I'm not really happy with the controls (particularly the dodge), the way moving the character feels, the over-world design, the interface, the art, the loading before the inventory displays, the overly long flying sequence, the boss fights, the timed challenges and the story isn't really doing anything for me yet (War just seems like a typical bad-ass dude -- for one of four horsemen, he isn't really that interesting).

I don't know if I'm just being a nit-picky asshole, but the game just isn't sitting right with me. I paid full-price for it, so I'm going to keep playing it. It isn't that it's bad, it's totally competent, it just doesn't really feel special in any way. I feel like a dick for saying it, because everyone else seems to really like it. It feels very last-gen, I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Keyser Soze said:
I think I am having a breakdown... I just shouted out loud that "there must be fucking portal or something"

:(

Look carefully at the map. Darker areas mean that the elevation at that point is lower, lighter areas mean that the elevation is higher. Check and see if there are any paths available to go lower or higher.

Also, I know of at least 3 chests that require you to meet some sort of condition before they appear.
Chest in crossroads requires you to kill all hydrants, chest in choking grounds requires you to destroy headstones, chest in Twilight Sanctuary requires you to light all torches.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rez said:

There's your problem. Come back to us no sooner than after you have completed it.

Firestorm

Rez said:

I'm not really feeling it yet. I'm not really happy with the controls (particularly the dodge), the way moving the character feels, the over-world design, the interface, the art, the loading before the inventory displays, the overly long flying sequence, the boss fights, the timed challenges and the story isn't really doing anything for me yet (War just seems like a typical bad-ass dude -- for one of four horsemen, he isn't really that interesting).

I don't know if I'm just being a nit-picky asshole, but the game just isn't sitting right with me. I paid full-price for it, so I'm going to keep playing it. It isn't that it's bad, it's totally competent, it just doesn't really feel special in any way. I feel like a dick for saying it, because everyone else seems to really like it. It feels very last-gen, I guess.
I didn't like it much at that point either. Twilight Cathedral is when it gets fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
want to play more but my damn PS3 firmware update is crawling

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
Always download the update on the PC, and then toss it on usb flash stick.
didn't even know I could. thanks!

Is this game like SoTC, the GBA Castlevanias, Quackshot (lol?), Ratchet, and lot's of other games where you can re-visit all the locations, or is it just straight forward and after you finish a level you can't go back there?

ChackanKun said:
Is this game like SoTC, the GBA Castlevanias, Quackshot (lol?), Ratchet, and lot's of other games where you can re-visit all the locations, or is it just straight forward and after you finish a level you can't go back there?

It is like Metroid/Zelda where the whole map is always open, but you cannot get certain places until you have certain items. Once you get a certain item, then you can go more places (even back track to new places).

For example, one of the last items you get lets you get to an area you walked past at the very start of the game but could not reach.

Narcosis

FrenchMovieTheme said:

The witches are easily disrupted by the chained hook. When they un-vaporize just use that chain and it will work like Nero's Devil Bringer in DMC4, bringing them to you stunned, and you can even juggle them indefinetly by alternating the chain and rising attacks like the sword uppercut.

Keyser Soze said:
It is like Metroid/Zelda where the whole map is always open, but you cannot get certain places until you have certain items. Once you get a certain item, then you can go more places (even back track to new places).

For example, one of the last items you get lets you get to an area you walked past at the very start of the game but could not reach.

That is great! I love when games allow us to do that!

glaurung

Reached the Voidwalker pickup and the Black Throne early this morning. It is good to see such good puzzles, but I bet they will be over before I will really get into it.

This game needs a DLC pack filled with massively mind-bending puzzle dungeons and a dedicated single-player arena fighting game with boss rush elements. I would pay top dollar for it.

/doesn't want it to end

P. S. Still playing on apocalyptic, those invisible sisters are peanuts. Getting gang-raped by those huge armored demons (especially the axe-wielding ones) is much more irritating.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm finally starting to enjoy the game. It has taken me a while to overcome the lack of polish and just enjoy the game for what it is. Some parts of the game are actually starting to look decent, really. If they tightened up the feel of the character and locked the framerate at 30 fps (or 60 fps, really), it would feel so much better. The framerate is unstable in a way that one would not expect for a game that looks like this.

Still, the game is starting to grow on me.

Halcyon

I rented the game over the weekend and am a fair bit into it. I'm really enjoying it so far. I think it's the type of game i've been wanting to play for awhile. Loving the setting and just the overall type of game it is. I don't care if it's a ripoff of anything.

My problems with the game though:

-Framerate is a little iffy
-The block/counter mechanic is annoying because you have to stand still, and I am usually dashing around alot during battles.
-Camera kinda sucks
-There's alot of actions tied to all the buttons and it takes awhile to get a hang of using them all. It still brakes my hand to target with L2, turn on wrath crap with L1+X, then get back to L2 to keep fighting. I just use the one finger to cover the ps3 triggers.

I'm still enjoying the game alot though. I find it more entertaining than batman:aa.

Canova

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

if you have any stoneskin upgraded to at least to level 3, the fights in Black Throne are easier. Stoneskin helps your defense tremendously

glaurung said:
Reached the Voidwalker pickup and the Black Throne early this morning. It is good to see such good puzzles, but I bet they will be over before I will really get into it.

This game needs a DLC pack filled with massively mind-bending puzzle dungeons and a dedicated single-player arena fighting game with boss rush elements. I would pay top dollar for it.

/doesn't want it to end

P. S. Still playing on apocalyptic, those invisible sisters are peanuts. Getting gang-raped by those huge armored demons (especially the axe-wielding ones) is much more irritating.

Battle Arena!

That's one thing I find lacking in this game, after we complete our armor, ultimate blade, and stats, they should give us battle arenas, where's there's hordes of endless enemies and bosses

Canova

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:

I love silithia fight. I just wish it lasts a bit longer. I admit it's tough to getting used to.

The sound she makes when she teleports is awesome.

Mango Positive said:

I think they left it for the sequel, lots of elements of the story they left hanging
- The female who corrupted Abbadon
- The arrival of the rest of the horsemen
- Samael, whatever happens to Samael after he gets all his power back. I know he's not happy with his master (I presume it's the female chick who picked Abbadon as destroyer)
-

I can't mark this down as a criticism, more a frustration.

I've just got to
The Jailer
and I can't help but think I've missed some hidden room/switch/collectable. It would be great if the inventory stated that I had found a certain percentage of the available objects.

Amir0x

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I can't mark this down as a criticism, more a frustration.

I've just got to
The Jailer
and I can't help but think I've missed some hidden room/switch/collectable. It would be great if the inventory stated that I had found a certain percentage of the available objects.

Why do you think you missed something?

Elaborate. if you can't beat the
Jailer
, it's probably because you're
not using your R3 button to go into aim mode to aim at his yellow spots with the crossblade

Also, in every dungeon, there is a
Hordeseeker treasure and a Map which shows you the locations of every treasure chest on a map. And later on near the end of the game, you get a legendary equip that tells you the location of every single artifact, treasure and everything else there is.

Mdk7

I'm trying to find all the armor pieces before the last battle...
How the fuck do i get back to
Eden
?
Help please! :p

Good game BTW, i'm loving the whole Zelda feel, yet i think the action part is not that amazing (but that's probably because of the 41 hours i've recently spent on Bayonetta).

Amir0x

Banned
Mdk7 said:
I'm trying to find all the armor pieces before the last battle...
How the fuck do i get back to
Eden
?
Help please! :p

Good game BTW, i'm loving the whole Zelda feel, yet i think the action part is not that amazing (but that's probably because of the 41 hours i've recently spent on Bayonetta).

Hm I don't personally think there is a way to get back. Remember
he said 'once we leave the secrets of Eden will be lost forever'
, I believe that was the games way of saying you can't go back :p

I'd love to be wrong though.

Yazuka

Really great game. But starting to get a bit frustrated. I just have one lifeshard piece left to find. Like searching a needle in a haystack. -.-
I can't seem to find it anywhere I've also been using
Fury's Embrace
, but I can't find any chests anywhere. I have taken the one in the Serpent Hole.

Any ideas? Or known pieces that are hard to find/easy to miss?

forrest

formerly nacire
FrenchMovieTheme said:

This was easily the hardest encounter in the game for me. Took quite a few tries.:D

I personally used the abyssal chain to stun them when they materialized. Watch their attack queues and no when to stay away. And stay focused on one if you can until it's dead. Also use that chaos form and wrath power if you have it, it's in the game for fights like these. Pull no punches.

John

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but the two lowest reviewers for this game on metacritic are colossally stupid, and I'd hate it if Vigil were to take them seriously. On the other hand, I'm ashamed of myself for being baited so easily, so I'll just quote them:

http://www.extremegamer.ca/multi/reviews/darksiders.php

Only being able to play as one of the four horsemen struck me as odd. When you have four characters as rich as the 'Horsemen of the Apocoloypse', it's almost dumbing not to include the other members. Its like 'The Beatles: Rock Band' only including one Beatle, like Ringo. Sure, Ringo can put on a concert, and sing all his own songs, but what makes the Beatles, "The Beatles" is when they are together as a group. Same concept here-- just slightly less convivial, and a hell of a lot more violent.
Another aspect in Darksiders that I was not too keen on, but accepted once I got into the game was 'War' scurrying across cables and pipes. Having to resort to hand-over-hand cable crossing was a little too silly, braking the illusion of power from the lead character. How can someone who seems like powerful beast of a man, who can throw cars across a city street with easy, cannot jump from building to building? All the climbing up buildings is understandable, but the pipes? They have to go.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/darksiders/playstation-3/game-reviews/list/7036/0/

That, however, brings us to the first problem; there's too much stuff. War's move list is so extensive that only the most hardcore gamer will master it. We collected thousands of souls (Darksiders' currency) to unlock a wide array of uppercuts and sword slashes, but used only a third of these pulverizing maneuvers, either because we forgot the buttons or refused to wrestle with the game's complex controls, yet another issue.
In addition, puzzles dominate almost the entire game. . . . In the first ten hours, we had spent more than eight hours puzzle solving, and less than two in combat. For a game full of monsters and weapons, that's unacceptable.
There's also a matter of false advertising. The box art showcases War atop his horse, Ruin. Although the trusty steed plays an integral role in the game, you'll need to invest several hours (maybe ten or more) to acquire it. That's a huge disappointment, especially for players who grow tired of those lame brained puzzles. We can't recall box art that teased something that players couldn't use right away, or at the very least, an hour into the adventure.

Jesus fucking christ don't you even think about appeasing these twats, Vigil.

forrest

formerly nacire
John said:
I don't know if this has been talked about before, but the two lowest reviewers for this game on metacritic are colossally stupid, and I'd hate it if Vigil were to take them seriously. On the other hand, I'm ashamed of myself for being baited so easily, so I'll just quote them:

http://www.extremegamer.ca/multi/reviews/darksiders.php

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/darksiders/playstation-3/game-reviews/list/7036/0/

Jesus fucking christ don't you even think about appeasing these twats, Vigil.

Yeah I read those reviews, laughable! :lol

glaurung

nacire said:
Yeah I read those reviews, laughable! :lol
The first one invokes Eminem - always a gaming imperative.

The second is mad because the cover art shows War on the horse, but you don't get the horse until later in the game.

Whoever those reviewers are, they should look for a new pastime.

Unfortunately I know some people around where I live who should also give up reviewing games. Sometimes just playing for yourself is enough...

Co-op darksiders would be awesome but I doubt it'll ever happen.

No team seems to be ambitious enough to create a truly long cooperative game with great pacing. More often than not they just introduce more linearity, tons of checkpoints, and "co-op" triggers that are needed to progress further. I actually like the idea of splitting up more in co-op games. It was done in Army of Two for a short time and it worked out quite well, and there were optional moments in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also.

John

How can someone who seems like powerful beast of a man, who can throw cars across a city street with easy, cannot jump from building to building?

How can someone. . . cannot jump from building to building?

What a mess of a sentence.

I picked up the game last week and completed it last night. It took me about 20 hours total to get most of everything done Abyssal Armor, all of the artifacts). It's difficult to put into words how a game that is so derivative can end up being so good. I liken it to Saint's Row. A game that is a pure and total ripoff of Grand Theft Auto but does so much to make the core gameplay it's own that it stood out despite those criticisms.

A couple of things:

+ I can't wait for a sequel. The finale was fantastic and the final scene with
the other horseman arriving to fight alongside War
just oozed cool.

+ There is nothing sophisticated about the story but it's solid, well voiced and tightly paced. It reeks of comic book writing which may or may not appeal. There's plenty of cheese but it's a ton of fun and really enjoyable in the end. It provide a good carrot on a stick to lead you around the different environments and keep you interested in moving forward.

+ Zelda is the most obvious influence here and it's been mentioned time and time again. To be frank, I had more fun with this game that I did with Twilight Princess and maybe even the Zelda before that. The dungeons are really nicely designed. Everything from the portal gun to the God of War like combat may not be perfect but everything fits. It's amazing how well Vigil was able to pull all of the different elements together in the end to create a pretty cohesive experience.

+ Ruin. Honestly I don't even need to say more. Just wait until you finally get him in the game. You'll understand. He rocks.

- While the level design is a high point, there's a little too much bloat in the dungeons. I'm sure they wanted to make a meaty adventure but some of the stuff could have been trimmed down. The Black Throne in particular felt endless despite some great puzzle elements.

- Wonderful art design, spotty technical presentation. The vysnc tearing is quite bad at times and some places look a bit flat and lifeless due to some poor texturing compared to some of the stronger areas like the Ashlands, The Anvil etc.

This is definitely worth a purchase if you want a really meaty and enjoyable action/adventure. It's not the most original piece of software out there but where is there a rule that unoriginal can't be tons of fun? It's a nice way to start out 2010 and I'm glad to hear it's selling well for Vigil and THQ. It's a helluva first effort from a new studio.

Top Bottom