• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Amir0x

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
What?

This game wouldn't have been all that great without all the Zelda-ness. :/

I think so, others think so. But when people are bitching about Black Throne, the best Zelda dungeon in the game being "repetitious", one must only conclude some people don't like Zelda in their games.

Dazzyman

Think Im on the last bit now after 15hours. Great game but its got worse since the fantastic 1st dungeon for me. The fecking portal levels where awful. Its also too bloody easy on Apoc coming from playing it after Bayonetta.

I think it could have been like Batman and a GOTY contender but all that pratting about with the portals have shoved it down to a high 7/10 for me now. Its not going to have any replay value as Id rather shove a week old contact lens in my eye whats had shite on it than play them again :lol

If they want to learn from it then no more fecking portals!

JdFoX187

Banned
I don't know if it's because I was tired yesterday or what, but the Black Throne was kicking my ass horribly. That one battle with the red angels, witch bitches with blades and the huge fucking monster at the bridge wiped the floor with my ass for more than an hour. I've never had that much difficulty with the combat until now. Though, I'm still having a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll be done with the game some time this week.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just Platinumed this game, was a fun game overall, a solid 9 from me

I somehow with my love for searching for treasures (thanks Uncharted), by the end of the game I was missing only 2 life and 3 wrath shards, got them with Legendary enhancement, was fun, just backtracking multiple times to the same area got a little annoying

(Some chests you couldn't get due to in the beginning cause you needed a new ability, get new ability, get chest, just to realize oh hey another chest close by...but need another new ability needed just to reach it + have to go through said dungeon over again)

Here are some tricks to use to make the game easier:

Always grind to have your demon mode available at all times, it can be a lifesaver against some baddies, even bosses
(if you dont have enhancements to get you chaos through all weapons just use sword till you have the L1 +R2 mode flashing, then just use it as a back up)

The ride 100 miles on Ruin trophy/achievement, as others have stated, rubber band > open area (Ashlands, Stygian, big ass worm boss)> 2 hours at least (I timed it, started @ 8:55 AM, got trophy @ 10:37AM)

Kill 150 on horse back, best place is the first area, like 10-15 zombies, 1-2 hits per kill, couple of demons spawn too, just rinse and repeat

Best place to level up weapons is Iron Canopy before fighting the last boss, the baby spiders near the walls keep respawning infinitely, I got my tremor gauntlets from level 1 to 4 with-in 45 minutes + 5-7000 souls to boot
I even leveled up my sword to make it powerful + extra souls, when I was done I had all 3 weapons @ level 4 with 30,000 souls
(Even though you don't need to level the sword to 4, due to the newer sword you get at the end of the game which is level 4 already, it helps getting souls, + if you need the 150 kills on horseback a lvl 4 Chaoseater is beastly, can take out huge demons after only 3-4 hits)

to make the last boss hella' easy on Apocalyptic, have Abysmal armor + if you have extra souls level ^ Stoneskin (mine was lvl 3), when you fight the destroyer, the 2nd battle human form, just use it over and over, it makes you almost go into god mode, I lost maybe 2/3 of 1 life bar (you have 10 to boot) of my life through the whole battle

panda21

oh my god tiamat is this most annoying thing ever

the way you can't always see the bombs to lock onto them, and then even though that bit is do-able theres a stupid long section of just fighting? how are you even supposed to dodge that thing where it just slams into the ground and makes a huge fireball? i did that bit on the ground for ages, punched it in the face 3 times and stunned it and hammered it and eventually just got chipped down by that giant fireball thing. why make the lame fighting bit a million times longer than the zelda copycat bit?

Amir0x

Banned
panda21 said:
oh my god tiamat is this most annoying thing ever

the way you can't always see the bombs to lock onto them, and then even though that bit is do-able theres a stupid long section of just fighting? how are you even supposed to dodge that thing where it just slams into the ground and makes a huge fireball? i did that bit on the ground for ages, punched it in the face 3 times and stunned it and hammered it and eventually just got chipped down by that giant fireball thing. why make the lame fighting bit a million times longer than the zelda copycat bit?

You press right bumper to dodge. R1. She telegraphs that move pretty substantially, so you should know when to back off and dodge away.

panda21

Amir0x said:
You press right bumper to dodge. R1. She telegraphs that move pretty substantially, so you should know when to back off and dodge away.

yup, i just keep getting caught in the recovery of the dodge and getting hit. that whole part just seems far too long compared to how long the other parts take.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
dreamer3kx said:
Hows hard mode in the game?

Not too bad. There's a few encounters you'll have to work a bit on but it's not Ninja Gaiden difficult or anything.

Dazzyman

Its dead easy too easy for me on hard.

Finally finished it at bang on 16hours. Would have been 15 but I got stuck for an hour as the pathetic waypoint system didnt tell me which map to go to so wandered around for ages.

Its a 7/10 for me. Theirs way too many flaws later on in the game and Ive ended up having a sour taste in my mouth with it. It should have been a cracking game from the first half but the second half has peed me off no end with issues. Its got some quite clunky controls where it wont jump sometimes when you want it to so fall off a ledge and same for summoning a horse.

Its a shame could have been incredible so lets hope they learn their lessons for a sequel. Zelda and Batman can rest easily for myself as this just wasnt a patch on em for me. It also had way to little combat for me for last 1/4.

Disapointing feeling really of how great the first part was.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The 2nd half of the game is the best half. The Black Throne is the best dungeon, Iron Canopy is great, you have all your tools and combat ablities, Ruin and the story starts coming together.

DevelopmentArrested said:
7 hours in..

7/10 game so far. It's fun and all but way too artifically long. Game could be half as short and just as good.

Artificially long how?

vg260

From the looks of things, I've just about collected everything and most power-ups but the game is almost over :( Lack of a true new game+ makes this an immediate sell-back. Just too tedious to collect everything again on another playthrough. I wish more publishers would see it would benefit them to implement this. I think it would result in more people keeping games to revisit. Even if it doesn't make sense story-wise, we've already seen it.

bdouble

2&2 said:
From the looks of things, I've just about collected everything and most power-ups but the game is almost over :( Lack of a true new game+ makes this an immediate sell-back. Just too tedious to collect everything again on another playthrough. I wish more publishers would see it would benefit them to implement this. I think it would result in more people keeping games to revisit. Even if it doesn't make sense story-wise, we've already seen it.
They did consider t they didn't have time.

panda21 said:
yup, i just keep getting caught in the recovery of the dodge and getting hit. that whole part just seems far too long compared to how long the other parts take.
It gets progressively longer throughout the battle. Yeah it is kind of annoying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
played a bit over an hour so far.

it seems a little janky in some places. the game reminds me very much of Brutal Legend, except without the super-inspired, interesting art. the control and general feeling of movement feel the same as it, though. very 'last-gen' (i hate myself) and light.

I wasn't really feeling the game up until this point. I've had some issues with the controls (not dodging when I was pressing the correct buttons) and the world seemed uninteresting to me, which can really ruin a game for me, but as of getting the glide ability and discovering the park-like area and whole economy system, I'm starting to see the seeds of a really cool game.

I can look over the somewhat unpolished feel if the game gets interesting enough, which to me, only takes a really interesting area or two. I'm looking forward to playing more, because the potential is totally there, despite the 'trying not to be slow but unfortunately still slow' intro.

eXistor

Ultimately, I liked the Black Throne but it was really too much in one chunk. There aren't a lot of puzzles in the game anyway and suddenly we get a three-part dungeon with nothing but same-ish puzzles all the way through? I have to say: shit got boring after the first part. I had to stop at that point and force myself to start the game up again to finish the dungeon. The best parts of the best Zelda's aren't the dungeons I think, but you need them to give the game texture or it becomes a one-note game.

The best Zelda's have a great balance between world-exploration and dungeon-puzzle solving. Darksiders is all over the place and it's all the worse for it. The overworld lacks coherence, there are really only two dungeons that actually feel like a dungeon, the others feel like it's leading up to a something that's never gonna come. I feel like I'm being too hard on the game right now, I think it's a decent first effort for Vigil, but there's just so much that needs improving. Either make it a better Zelda-like game or move away from it to avoid everyone saying they can't match Zelda, but then all you have is a sub-par hack and slash game. It's a pretty viscious cycle they've gotten themselves in. I wonder if they can manage it for the inevitable sequel.

Canova

Banned
eXistor said:
Ultimately, I liked the Black Throne but it was really too much in one chunk. There aren't a lot of puzzles in the game anyway and suddenly we get a three-part dungeon with nothing but same-ish puzzles all the way through? I have to say: shit got boring after the first part. I had to stop at that point and force myself to start the game up again to finish the dungeon. The best parts of the best Zelda's aren't the dungeons I think, but you need them to give the game texture or it becomes a one-note game.

The best Zelda's have a great balance between world-exploration and dungeon-puzzle solving. Darksiders is all over the place and it's all the worse for it. The overworld lacks coherence, there are really only two dungeons that actually feel like a dungeon, the others feel like it's leading up to a something that's never gonna come. I feel like I'm being too hard on the game right now, I think it's a decent first effort for Vigil, but there's just so much that needs improving. Either make it a better Zelda-like game or move away from it to avoid everyone saying they can't match Zelda, but then all you have is a sub-par hack and slash game. It's a pretty viscious cycle they've gotten themselves in. I wonder if they can manage it for the inevitable sequel.

holy shit you're nitpicking.

zelda nerds are disappointed that the game is not zelda, its called Darksiders. It's the first game of new game company VS an established 20-yrs old franchise. go fucking figure!

Amir0x

Banned
Man this latest trend toward Zelda not being about dungeons is dangerous.

Zelda is always about dungeons. If Zelda has shitty dungeons and shitty tools and shitty puzzles, Zelda is a shitty fucking game. Zelda can do away with the overworld for all I care if there are a series of seven or eight incredibly designed dungeons.

Black Throne was so enthralling to me. Unlike some of the others here, it was the one place (along with Twilight Cathedral) I could not stop playing until I was done! I was completely addicted to the clever puzzles and expertly crafted flow of the dungeon. It was clear this was by someone who could, if given the time and day, make a game totally on par with the best Zelda titles.

It was an amazing dungeon by all rights.

Firestorm

I don't often agree with Amir0x, but yes, Black Throne + Twilight Cathedral were great and the very best parts of the game. Iron Canopy or whatever it was called was close as well.

voltron

So wait, if theyre pushing out a patch that 'fixes' the screen tearing does that mean the frame rate will be reduced? Or is it going to be an optional thing that you can enable?

eXistor said:

The biggest reason I play Zelda games is for the dungeons, which is why I found the Black Throne to be the best part of Darksiders.
Also I'm playing on normal and I've died enough times that I know I won't even bother with the hardest difficulty even though I really like the combat and all the combos you can do.

Ridley327

voltron said:
So wait, if theyre pushing out a patch that 'fixes' the screen tearing does that mean the frame rate will be reduced? Or is it going to be an optional thing that you can enable?

Depends; the game runs at an unlocked framerate already, so it can still hit high framerates but with less frequency if v-sync is enabled. It really depends on how they go about it.

voltron

Cool. It definitely seems to be above 30 a lot of the time. I just hope they can maintain that as I prefer a higher frame rate over V-sync.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aye, throw me down in the camp that thinks that the Twilight Cathedral, the Black Throne, and to a much lesser extent, the Iron Canopy, were the best parts of Darksiders. Sadly, that level of quality only covered half of the game... if that.

IJoel

Question: It seems to take a very long time to level up the different weapons. Are they meant to be maxed out through multiple runs?

Amir0x

Banned
Mejilan said:
Aye, throw me down in the camp that thinks that the Twilight Cathedral, the Black Throne, and to a much lesser extent, the Iron Canopy, were the best parts of Darksiders. Sadly, that level of quality only covered half of the game... if that.

I liked other individual moments, but they had little to do with Zelda.

I liked the
angel duel with Ulthane or whatever his name was.
Loved the opening that started during the Apocalypse. I also thought the overworld itself was pretty attractively designed, streamlined just the way I like it. Plenty of things to find and explore if you're looking, yet with none of the barren boring emptiness of the Twilight Princess overworld. It was quite appealing in that way.

Hollows and the Ashlands were the poorest moments to me.

Amir0x

Banned
Also i thought it was a little weird that you get this
Ruin power to run across canyon's at special points
, but you use it at literally only one location in the entire game. Just seemed kinda arbitrary.

I mean it doesn't matter at all toward how I feel about the game, but it did make me forget how to get back to Iron Canopy since that is literally the only time you ever use that ability and I forgot about it :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Just finished the game. What the hell was with that ending? C'mon, does no one know how to make a damn ending to their game anymore?

Other than that, I loved it. Easily the best game I've played in the last six months. The Dark Throne drug on for entirely too long. I ended up just pulling myself through it for a while. And fuck fetch quests! But at least it allowed me to go back and pick up some missing things here and there. Overall, the game could have been a little shorter, but nothing to complain about. I just hope Vigil is working on a sequel. I want to see what the hell happens next :lol

Amir0x

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
Just finished the game. What the hell was with that ending? C'mon, does no one know how to make a damn ending to their game anymore?

Other than that, I loved it. Easily the best game I've played in the last six months. The Dark Throne drug on for entirely too long. I ended up just pulling myself through it for a while. And fuck fetch quests! But at least it allowed me to go back and pick up some missing things here and there. Overall, the game could have been a little shorter, but nothing to complain about. I just hope Vigil is working on a sequel. I want to see what the hell happens next :lol

I actually found the ending to be extremely satisfying, and let me wanting a sequel. Dunno how else they should have ended it...?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh, btw...
Any guesses as to who that female voice represented that seduced Abaddon to the dark side, so to speak? Lilith?

JdFoX187

Banned
Amir0x said:
I actually found the ending to be extremely satisfying, and let me wanting a sequel. Dunno how else they should have ended it...?
Eh, it was good. But I was wanting a little more closure and a few things went unanswered.
Where did Samael go now that he had all the power he wanted? What's going to happen to the Kingdom of Man?
They did their job in getting me to bite at the bit for a sequel.

Mejilan said:
Oh, btw...
Any guesses as to who that female voice represented that seduced Abaddon to the dark side, so to speak? Lilith?
This too. I thought it was
Uriel
, but I was wrong.

Amir0x said:
Man this latest trend toward Zelda not being about dungeons is dangerous.

Zelda is always about dungeons. If Zelda has shitty dungeons and shitty tools and shitty puzzles, Zelda is a shitty fucking game. Zelda can do away with the overworld for all I care if there are a series of seven or eight incredibly designed dungeons.
No irony there...

Talk about the pot calling the kettle cookware. :p

I think I'm 2 to 3 hours in and it has been a beautiful experience. Love the characters, the really crisp and satisfying combat, and the really pretty visuals. Great writing and voice acting for a game of its type as well.

Amir0x

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
No irony there...

Talk about the pot calling the kettle cookware. :p

It's true though. The only good Zelda overworlds are ones which have their own puzzles to access the actual dungeons, or are streamlined in such a way to provide limited wandering around aimlessly with nothing to do.

Link to the Past had an excellent Zelda overworld, Minish Cap had a really good one. Majora's Mask was the best of the 3D overworlds.

All of it is just a means to get into a dungeon, however, and if the dungeons are shit, so is the game.

jonabbey

I'm quite enjoying Darksiders on PS3. The tearing is annoying on PS3, if 360 is worse, ick.

I tried playing through on Apocalyptic, but found myself unable to get through the first boss in the Scalding Gallows (
protecting Samael's prison
).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amir0x said:
It's true though. The only good Zelda overworlds are ones which have their own puzzles to access the actual dungeons, or are streamlined in such a way to provide limited wandering around aimlessly with nothing to do.

Link to the Past had an excellent Zelda overworld, Minish Cap had a really good one. Majora's Mask was the best of the 3D overworlds.

All of it is just a means to get into a dungeon, however, and if the dungeons are shit, so is the game.

All of this being said, Twilight Princess better be your favorite Zelda game!

I was going to post this on the BST thread, but here seems to be like a good place too.

I will send out my copy of Darksiders for $45.00 shipped (PS3) if someone wants one cheap. I just can't get into it for some reason after the first boss fight (Fucking awesome first boss)

PM me if interested.

cornerman

I'm playing and I"m wondering if there's a new game plus?

Also, any idea who the guy in the top hat is? I've ran across him three times now.

Top Bottom