• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Skilletor

Keyser Soze said:
Link = Cannot Jump
War = Can Jump

Ruin = Cannot Jump
Epona = Can Jump

It all evens out in the end

It's stupid that this horse can't step up a ledge that is as high as War's ankle. I have to get off, WALK up the ledge with War, because he can just walk up, and summon Ruin again.

It's silly.

Skilletor said:
It's stupid that this horse can't step up a ledge that is as high as War's ankle. I have to get off, WALK up the ledge with War, because he can just walk up, and summon Ruin again.

It's silly.

Ruin's jump is context sensitive (I thought it's the same with Epona), he just need sizable gap first before he can jump.

the part you mention is likely just overlooked by the developer.

glaurung

ZealousD said:
Pretty accurate. Completionists will hit around 20 hours.
I have been fooling around a lot, grinding for nonsense souls and such, currently collected the Mask of Shadows and game time shows a solid 20h.

I wager that getting all the weapons to maximum level will take me up to the 30h point.

What's the first chance to collect the whole Abyssal Armor set? I have six pieces so far, I know I should have more. Right now Uriel is wiping the floor with me, though I was tired already when I reached that encounter. Does the Armor actually absorb some damage or is it purely ornamental?

Loved the Straga fight, but hated getting teleported back to the tower middle when dying at the fight. Took me circa 6 retries to whoop his ass.

just started the game. But i must say that i started it right after completing AC2.
So my head was still in AC2 world and srill thinking about the ending.

so far it looks like it could be a fun game. Dear god they borrowed a loty from zelda.. much more than i imagined :p

City looks a bit bland, but i allready read that other environments will be great.

Callibretto said:
Ruin's jump is context sensitive (I thought it's the same with Epona), he just need sizable gap first before he can jump.

the part you mention is likely just overlooked by the developer.

Ruin can jump across gaps but not over things or on top of ledges.

Halcyon

I beat the
spider boss
last night. I'm so much loving this game. All of its faults have melted away for me at this point. Can't wait to get all the power ups and items so I can feel even more badass struttin around takin out demons.

JudgeN

Firestorm said:
For those who want to see how the other three Horsemen look, they're all in the artbook + comic that people who pre-ordered got. EB Canada finally got it in a few days ago (after I finished the game) so I picked it up.

Fuck me, I preordered and I didn't get an artbook/comic. Anyone know when gamestops in US got the book?

Wow the Abyssal Armor is SO overpowered :lol

Also,
best to-be-continued ending since God of War 2
, easily.

I'm just kind of annoyed that, having found just about every single chest in the whole game (still need one Wrath fragment) and having fought the Gentleman Zombie all four times, I'm still like 30,000 souls short of maxing things out. Gonna take a LOT of grinding to make that happen. I regret EVER leveling the sword instead of solely concentrating on the scythe/gauntlet, btw.

Canova

Banned
glaurung said:
I have been fooling around a lot, grinding for nonsense souls and such, currently collected the Mask of Shadows and game time shows a solid 20h.

I wager that getting all the weapons to maximum level will take me up to the 30h point.

What's the first chance to collect the whole Abyssal Armor set? I have six pieces so far, I know I should have more. Right now Uriel is wiping the floor with me, though I was tired already when I reached that encounter. Does the Armor actually absorb some damage or is it purely ornamental?

Loved the Straga fight, but hated getting teleported back to the tower middle when dying at the fight. Took me circa 6 retries to whoop his ass.

The last piece of the armor is in Eden. If you have the mask, you should be able to find all the pieces.
The armor absorbs damage and also gives you health if you kill enemies

Canova

Banned
MisterTHQ said:
There's an amusing article from Destructoid that is worth reading...comparing Darksiders to Zelda with Darksiders coming out on top! :)

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree? :D

from the article :lol :lol

Let's get one thing straight before we even begin: Darksiders is the manliest game ever made, for real manly men who are manly with their man things. The Legend of Zelda, in contrast, is for children and girls who have not yet known a lover's touch. You only have to look at the main characters to see this is true. One is the physical embodiment of conflict incarnate, a dauntless badass who will crack the skulls of angels of demons alike. The other is Legolas. Ladies and gentlemen, War wins.

Seriously, who would you rather have on your side in battle? A man with a fiery steed and a penchant for bloodlust who can turn into a giant molten demon at will, or a pussy little elf in a green skirt? War routinely hangs off the bellies of giant Hell bats and then stabs them in the guts. What has Link ever done, comparatively? Held a little shield in front of his girlish face so that seeds don't hit him. Seeds! Link is afraid of SEEDS. While War is fighting the entire armies of Hell, Link's shitting in his pants because somebody's thrown a packet of grow-your-own at him.

NinjaFusion said:
In the crossroads there's a blue grapple thingie really high up... and a wrath shard.... how do you get the hell up there?

you wont be able to get up there till you get the mask of shadows

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
canova said:
The last piece of the armor is in Eden. If you have the mask, you should be able to find all the pieces.
The armor absorbs damage and also gives you health if you kill enemies

I just finished the Eden part and gathered a few pieces of Armageddon and came into this thread to ask the very question you answered. I have 5 / 10 pieces of the Abyssmal Armor and don't really want to search aimlessly for the rest, so I think I will definitely be consulting a guide.

glaurung

NinjaFusion said:
In the crossroads there's a blue grapple thingie really high up... and a wrath shard.... how do you get the hell up there?
You need a story-related item.

It is the Mask of Shadows, which you will get automatically after beating Straga at the end of the Black Throne. Using the Mask of Shadows will reveal two Shadowflight geysers near the grappling point in the area. The first one will boost you onto the ledge of the building. The second will give you plenty of lift to lock onto the grappling point and land on the building with below it, opposite the Vulgrim portal.

canova said:
from the article :lol :lol

you wont be able to get up there till you get the mask of shadows

It is a scientifically proven fact that if you play Darksiders, your penis will become comparable in size to a chimpanzee's leg and gain enough ejaculative power to stop a charging African elephant.

wtf :lol:lol:lol

glaurung

Something else, weird within the game. Spoiler-tagged since this happens ~80% through the game.

After getting my ass kicked by Straga a couple of times, I went on the missed stuff hunt since I now had the Voidwalker, Chain and glove to shatter the barriers. Within the shorter sewer line in Drowned Pass (I think that's the place), I met a couple of standard demons and a surprisingly tough standard undead with two exceptions: a top hat with a red brim and a walking stick. It took some effort to beat him, upon which he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

I then ventured forth to look for missed collectibles and got to the area where Ulthane challenges you to 'pluck the pigeons'. There is a grappling hook location there that holds some chest, but before I could jump there, the same guy with the same top hat appeared again and started to beat the living snot out of me. I beat him again, though he took a pretty good chunk out of my health bar and disappeared again.

Who is that and what's the point? Do I need to fight him again at some other location to get some large soul reward or smth?

glaurung said:
Something else, weird within the game. Spoiler-tagged since this happens ~80% through the game.

After getting my ass kicked by Straga a couple of times, I went on the missed stuff hunt since I now had the Voidwalker, Chain and glove to shatter the barriers. Within the shorter sewer line in Drowned Pass (I think that's the place), I met a couple of standard demons and a surprisingly tough standard undead with two exceptions: a top hat with a red brim and a walking stick. It took some effort to beat him, upon which he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

I then ventured forth to look for missed collectibles and got to the area where Ulthane challenges you to 'pluck the pigeons'. There is a grappling hook location there that holds some chest, but before I could jump there, the same guy with the same top hat appeared again and started to beat the living snot out of me. I beat him again, though he took a pretty good chunk out of my health bar and disappeared again.

Who is that and what's the point? Do I need to fight him again at some other location to get some large soul reward or smth?
Every time you fight him you get a whole lot of souls. You can fight him a total of four different times, I believe.

Canova

Banned
glaurung said:

if you beat him by using Chaos Form, he will disappear in smoke, and you're not getting many souls. If you beat him fair and square he will disappear into a big hat and you'll get plenty of souls

At least that's what I remember

glaurung said:
You need a story-related item.

It is the Mask of Shadows, which you will get automatically after beating Straga at the end of the Black Throne. Using the Mask of Shadows will reveal two Shadowflight geysers near the grappling point in the area. The first one will boost you onto the ledge of the building. The second will give you plenty of lift to lock onto the grappling point and land on the building with below it, opposite the Vulgrim portal.

Brilliant.

THANKS>

MisterTHQ said:
There's an amusing article from Destructoid that is worth reading...comparing Darksiders to Zelda with Darksiders coming out on top! :)

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree? :D

"Darksiders is to Zelda what coloring books are to Michael J Fox."

I'm dieing over here...

Booser

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree?

Put it this way : I used to be a Zelda fan.

Is Darksiders 2 out yet????!!!!!

maybe its because im older now but i couldn't get into twilight princess what so ever. I loved every minute of ocarina of time but I just couldnt get into TP. I felt like i had already played the game before minus the wolf thing going on. Plus zelda games are just so loooooong and I get lost so easily. Darksiders is my perfect zelda game. Its pretty focused on where i need to go, i dont get lost at all!! i feel 15-18 hours is perfect for me too.

Canova

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
maybe its because im older now but i couldn't get into twilight princess what so ever. I loved every minute of ocarina of time but I just couldnt get into TP. I felt like i had already played the game before minus the wolf thing going on. Plus zelda games are just so loooooong and I get lost so easily. Darksiders is my perfect zelda game. Its pretty focused on where i need to go, i dont get lost at all!! i feel 15-18 hours is perfect for me too.

Darksiders is perfect for gamers who've used to play Zelda but now have outgrown the franchise. there's also a bit more combat than Zelda

edgefusion

Just completed and
wow what a great ending! Seeing the other 3 horsemen coming down from the sky in the background was awesome.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So Darksiders sold around 400,000 copies in one week? Pretty damn impressive.

The_Dude

I'm nearing the end, just looking for the chests I've missed. I'm in the Twilight Cathedral, in the area where
you have to place the swords on three statues, which raise a pedestal up to just near where the boss is. I appear to be stuck, as the pedestal seems to be permanently in the up position and the way I came in is inaccessible.
Am I missing something? Luckily, I've been keeping regular manual saves, but I'd be pretty annoyed right now if I was only relying on the autosave.

Triz

Finally beat the game, and loved it. Im not a gamer who goes through the game to get 100% complete. But This one has got me to the point that Im going to play through it again on the hardest difficulty. Hope we get a sequel.

Yoritomo

I'm really loving the game. I also really appreciate the little decisions to avoid annoying crap that is in other games. (Quick Time events, not falling off stuff while attacking.)

edgefusion

Yoritomo said:
I'm really loving the game. I also really appreciate the little decisions to avoid annoying crap that is in other games. (Quick Time events, not falling off stuff while attacking.)

I am so thankful this game ditched QTEs so I get to actually watch whats happening on screen for once instead of anticipating the next button to press. QTEs need to die in a fire.

cabottemp

Banned
my girlfriend surprised me with this today, i played for almost four hours with only taking a 20 minute break to eat a couple tacos for dinner. the game is a complete blast. watching conan now and will probably return to it once fallon comes on.

KevinCow

Banned
The_Dude said:
I'm nearing the end, just looking for the chests I've missed. I'm in the Twilight Cathedral, in the area where
you have to place the swords on three statues, which raise a pedestal up to just near where the boss is. I appear to be stuck, as the pedestal seems to be permanently in the up position and the way I came in is inaccessible.
Am I missing something? Luckily, I've been keeping regular manual saves, but I'd be pretty annoyed right now if I was only relying on the autosave.

There's a way back up. Just look around for a bit. It should be right by the room where you fought a few waves of enemies to get one of the swords.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to be getting stuck here. It's one of the first things you do in the dungeon. You knock a big hole in the floor and follow it down, only to find a chest with a key and two doors you can't open. So you make your way back up to find another giant thing to drop to make another hole, which leads to the rest of the lower area of the dungeon and eventually loops back to the room where you got that key.

Canova

Banned
I think I know who made the Destroyer

The female voice said to Abaddon 'well you're the one who called us here, I just took advantage of the situation'. Couldn't it be the female horseman? (Because Abaddon who called out the Horsemen)

Her brothers just don't know yet that she betrayed them

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
EXGN said:
Where's that coming from? Awesome if true.

VG-Chartz, which unlike GAF likes to pretend, is usually accurate enough.

The_Dude

KevinCow said:
There's a way back up. Just look around for a bit. It should be right by the room where you fought a few waves of enemies to get one of the swords.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to be getting stuck here. It's one of the first things you do in the dungeon. You knock a big hole in the floor and follow it down, only to find a chest with a key and two doors you can't open. So you make your way back up to find another giant thing to drop to make another hole, which leads to the rest of the lower area of the dungeon and eventually loops back to the room where you got that key.
Thanks! I did remember that other hole, but I didn't remember it looping around. Back to it, I guess!

Wow. You hear so much of a thing and think you know it and then you touch it for yourself and it's like whoa. This is the game Brutal Legend should have been.

canova said:
Darksiders is perfect for gamers who've used to play Zelda but now have outgrown the franchise. there's also a bit more combat than Zelda
I'll sign up for this. Outgrown is putting it nicely though, I sure as fuck don't think the issue is on my end.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finished the Twilight Cathedral, but nothing about this game has hooked me. It's just... kind of boring.

Haven't decided whether or not I'll keep playing yet. I'm not seeing what so many people like about this. There's a good chance I'm being a bit harsh on the game because of some sort of weird subconscious 'post-Bayonetta' thing. When you have a game that controls so fluidly, so naturally, and is all about doing new totally bonkers things around every corner, whichever game I played directly after was probably always going to be unfairly compared.

As it is Darksiders has kind of failed to deliver on two of the most important things a game can do to hook me. The first is showing me a really interesting world to inhabit, the second is offering me a natural feeling of movement and interaction with the world. There's something about the controls that really don't feel right. For example, what's the point of having a block if most (all?) of the enemies that actually require one break straight through it? Why map the boomerang aiming mode lock on to a separate button, why not just put it on the trigger? Why not just make aiming mode automatically pop up when I hold down the trigger? The few cases where charging up the boomerang or throwing one outside of aiming mode or aiming at a few things in a super specific intricate order should be the instances where more complex input is required. The initiation of the 'day-to-day' use of the item should NOT be so complicated.

I hate to play 'I'M A BACKSEAT DESIGNER AND I COULD MAKE GAMES IF I WANTED HURRR', because I'm just a bratty Australian music student, but come the fuck on Vigil. I don't know how stuff like this got through play-testing. Maybe everything suddenly makes sense when it's mapped to the 360 control interface, I can't say. As it stands it feels like there's a giant divider between the TV screen and me, and it's taking the form of my Dualshock.

Top Bottom