• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I think I'm pretty much done. I'll probably play some more here and there, but I'm not going to complain about it anymore.

Phthisis

So I'm missing two wrath shards, and coincidentally, missing two chests. The first is in the Drowned Pass, my map says there's a chest right beneath the armageddon shard on the house, but it's not there. I have no clue how to make it pop. I tried killing all the fish, tried killing all the falcons, no dice.

The second is in the Choking Grounds. Map says there's a chest in the house near the exit where the stone giant is, one floor below the armageddon shard. No clue how to make that one pop either.

Any ideas? Help?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Phthisis said:
So I'm missing two wrath shards, and coincidentally, missing two chests. The first is in the Drowned Pass, my map says there's a chest right beneath the armageddon shard on the house, but it's not there. I have no clue how to make it pop. I tried killing all the fish, tried killing all the falcons, no dice.

The second is in the Choking Grounds. Map says there's a chest in the house near the exit where the stone giant is, one floor below the armageddon shard. No clue how to make that one pop either.

Any ideas? Help?

First chest is a bug. Nothing is there.

For the second chest, destroy all the headstones in the graveyard.

Your second wrath shard could be one of several things. It might be hiding in one of the serpent holes or it might be something you have to earn/buy from Vulgrim. Have you found all the artifacts?

Phthisis

ZealousD said:
First chest is a bug. Nothing is there.

For the second chest, destroy all the headstones in the graveyard.

Your second wrath shard could be one of several things. It might be hiding in one of the serpent holes or it might be something you have to earn/buy from Vulgrim. Have you found all the artifacts?

Got all artifacts and enhancements, yeah. I also got the one you get in the Choking Ground by destroying all the grave stones, but there is a second one on the map, inside the manor where you get the armageddon shard.

I did get the life shard in one of the serpent holes, but I've traversed the game from one side to the other through them and have yet to encounter any wrath shards in there.

Mohonky

Rez said:
I finished the Twilight Cathedral, but nothing about this game has hooked me. It's just... kind of boring.

Haven't decided whether or not I'll keep playing yet. I'm not seeing what so many people like about this. There's a good chance I'm being a bit harsh on the game because of some sort of weird subconscious 'post-Bayonetta' thing. When you have a game that controls so fluidly, so naturally, and is all about doing new totally bonkers things around every corner, whichever game I played directly after was probably always going to be unfairly compared.

As it is Darksiders has kind of failed to deliver on two of the most important things a game can do to hook me. The first is showing me a really interesting world to inhabit, the second is offering me a natural feeling of movement and interaction with the world. There's something about the controls that really don't feel right. For example, what's the point of having a block if most (all?) of the enemies that actually require one break straight through it? Why map the boomerang aiming mode lock on to a separate button, why not just put it on the trigger? Why not just make aiming mode automatically pop up when I hold down the trigger? The few cases where charging up the boomerang or throwing one outside of aiming mode or aiming at a few things in a super specific intricate order should be the instances where more complex input is required. The initiation of the 'day-to-day' use of the item should NOT be so complicated.

I hate to play 'I'M A BACKSEAT DESIGNER AND I COULD MAKE GAMES IF I WANTED HURRR', because I'm just a bratty Australian music student, but come the fuck on Vigil. I don't know how stuff like this got through play-testing. Maybe everything suddenly makes sense when it's mapped to the 360 control interface, I can't say. As it stands it feels like there's a giant divider between the TV screen and me, and it's taking the form of my Dualshock.

I know exactly what you're talking about but there's enough outside of that to keep me interested. I just finished Bayonetta before jumping into Darkside and it really shows how clumsy aspects of the combat in Darkside are, especially the RB to Block or Counter. Pulling off counters is near impossible due to the design of the block itself. There is a delay between pressing block and the character blocking that leaves you completely vulnerable; you've also got to hold it that bit longer than you'd think where in Bayonetta you simply tap the trigger. The combo's etc are also incredibly clunky and leave all sorts of holes an enemy can damage you with.

Having said that, it's sort of the over all package that makes Darksiders for me, the slower pace, collecting new items and puzzle solving that are fairly well balanced. I don't much care for the character and it's certainly not a spectacle like Bayonetta is but it's a very solid and enjoyable adventure / hack & slash title with many elements ripped from games like Zelda. It does enough right to overlook the flaws.

Bayonetta on the other hand has a crazy combo system and is incredibly slick to play but what I didn't enjoy about it was the feeling I just never felt like I completely had my head around the game. Watching a few videos it dawned on me many people spent much of their time in the air performing combos there and actually holding each move to make use of Bayonettas guns as well as using dodge offsets. I'm the sort of player that's usually 'in' the moment and basing my strategies on whats currently happening, in Bayonetta it felt more like I was thinking forward as to what I would be doing to string together stupidly long combo's that I couldn't really remember the full string of movesets for anyway. I enjoyed Bayonetta but the reliance to be almost perpetually offensive never really gels well with my coordination, I just feel like I was hopelessly spamming the same combos over and over as that was the easiest thing for me to remember. I definitely didn't have the right mindset for a game like that and considering that makes up the entire game I just didn't really get into it, where the change of pace to Darksiders was that bit more enjoyable for me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Phthisis said:
Got all artifacts and enhancements, yeah. I also got the one you get in the Choking Ground by destroying all the grave stones, but there is a second one on the map, inside the manor where you get the armageddon shard.

Ah, okay, I know where you're stuck. Around the second floor or so, there's a little hidden cubbey hole kind of area. You know the part on the second floor where the floor is slanted? It's basically hidden in a tiny room hidden below the top of that.

I did get the life shard in one of the serpent holes, but I've traversed the game from one side to the other through them and have yet to encounter any wrath shards in there.

There's two wrath shards and one life shard in the serpent holes. I know there's a shard in the Twilight Cathedral serpent holes. I also think there's one at the Anvil's Ford serpent hole, and I think that's one that you use the abyssal chain. I think the last shard is in the serpent hole for that small area just before the Ashlands
where you fight Uriel just before grabbing the Armageddon shard

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
There's an interesting interview up on Gameinformer with General Manager David Adams looking back at the development of the game.

I especially like this bit: "Our original incarnation consisted of all four horsemen in full four-player co-op."
Now that would be pretty exciting! :D

Nemesis_

I finished the Twilight Cathedral, but nothing about this game has hooked me. It's just... kind of boring.

Haven't decided whether or not I'll keep playing yet. I'm not seeing what so many people like about this. There's a good chance I'm being a bit harsh on the game because of some sort of weird subconscious 'post-Bayonetta' thing. When you have a game that controls so fluidly, so naturally, and is all about doing new totally bonkers things around every corner, whichever game I played directly after was probably always going to be unfairly compared.

As it is Darksiders has kind of failed to deliver on two of the most important things a game can do to hook me. The first is showing me a really interesting world to inhabit, the second is offering me a natural feeling of movement and interaction with the world. There's something about the controls that really don't feel right. For example, what's the point of having a block if most (all?) of the enemies that actually require one break straight through it? Why map the boomerang aiming mode lock on to a separate button, why not just put it on the trigger? Why not just make aiming mode automatically pop up when I hold down the trigger? The few cases where charging up the boomerang or throwing one outside of aiming mode or aiming at a few things in a super specific intricate order should be the instances where more complex input is required. The initiation of the 'day-to-day' use of the item should NOT be so complicated.

I hate to play 'I'M A BACKSEAT DESIGNER AND I COULD MAKE GAMES IF I WANTED HURRR', because I'm just a bratty Australian music student, but come the fuck on Vigil. I don't know how stuff like this got through play-testing. Maybe everything suddenly makes sense when it's mapped to the 360 control interface, I can't say. As it stands it feels like there's a giant divider between the TV screen and me, and it's taking the form of my Dualshock.

You're right, Rez. I am very happy I played and finished Darksiders before I played Bayonetta. I know they aren't the same kind of game, but, well, I just couldn't go back to play it after I finished Bayonetta. I really wanted to go back and get all the collectibles as well =(

Rez said:

i'm not far in the game yet, but so far i agree about the controls and the (lack of) immersion.
I do find it's fun to play, but while you have a post bayonetta thing, i think i have a post-assassins creed2 thingy. Maybe this game still has me in its grasp. dunno..

although the game borrows a lot from zelda games, i certainly miss the zelda immersion.

BUT, like i said.. i'm still pretty early in the game and i hope at one point the game will click.
I always give the controls a couple of hours for me to get used to until they feel like i don't have to think about them anymore. If i Do have to think about them for a longer time,.. it just meens they aren't intuitive in any way.

Nemesis_

I suppose my only real complaint is that I realised that I had one or two combos where I would always win if I consistently practiced them, and the enemies never really adapted or at least were designed to counter such a technique.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the game on normal difficulty. My final time was around 16 hours and I pretty much loved every minute of it. I only bothered to get the Abyssmal Armor, but I didn't go and try to max out the other weapons and get the various skull / wrath shards. I must say that the Abyssmal Armor seems a bit overpowered, but I look forward to using it in my next playthrough on hard.

I liked how the story picked up near the end and I thought the ending was really good. I certainly hope we see a sequel within a year or two. Pretty much my only complaint with Darkstalkers is the frequent screen tearing (360 version).

Canova

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I suppose my only real complaint is that I realised that I had one or two combos where I would always win if I consistently practiced them, and the enemies never really adapted or at least were designed to counter such a technique.

In most action games, all you need is one or two combos and a dodge button to win. Other combos are just for show off or variety.

If you need challenge in Darksiders, you have the option to play the game in hard mode, no abyssal armor and not upgrade your lifebar. That will for force you to learn the enemies patterns to dodge or attack in the right moment

glaurung

Finished the game last night on apocalyptic. Also got my Abyssal Armor set together (
shame it is all black, now I kind of want that more colorful red costume bac ):
).

High marks all round, though there were a few problems for me here and there. PS3 version.

Started to write a long-ass review for my blog and found this when searching was images on the web:

alt_ds.jpg

Would be awesome if that armor were unlockable or downloadable...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
oh my god. the tiamat fight is almost causing me to smash my controller. the shonky 'charging' for the boomerang thing (ie. it constantly misses me pressing R2 to charge up) is really pissing me off :( that and the no-dashing when holding one of the bomb plant things.

i suck :(

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
julls said:
oh my god. the tiamat fight is almost causing me to smash my controller. the shonky 'charging' for the boomerang thing (ie. it constantly misses me pressing R2 to charge up) is really pissing me off :( that and the no-dashing when holding one of the bomb plant things.

i suck :(

You know you don't have to charge the Crossblade at all right? You only need to charge it when you want it to GRIND on an object. Transferring fire doesn't require charge, just tagging.
:D

DieH@rd

Banned
glaurung said:
Started to write a long-ass review for my blog and found this when searching was images on the web:

alt_ds.jpg

Would be awesome if that armor were unlockable or downloadable...

That is the old concept model for War.

Nemesis_

canova said:
In most action games, all you need is one or two combos and a dodge button to win. Other combos are just for show off or variety.

If you need challenge in Darksiders, you have the option to play the game in hard mode, no abyssal armor and not upgrade your lifebar. That will for force you to learn the enemies patterns to dodge or attack in the right moment

Pretty much what I did. It still felt empty.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
hdn said:
You know you don't have to charge the Crossblade at all right? You only need to charge it when you want it to GRIND on an object. Transferring fire doesn't require charge, just tagging.
:D
i knew that.
>>

<<

thanks man :D

glaurung

DieH@rd said:
That is the old concept model for War.
Yes, I know. I also found some shots from the back and War looked a lot more like a bad-ass cyborg back then.

Still think the initial armor design is awesome and wish I could have it in-game.

rocK`

Banned
darkjedi187 said:
Hoping to get my copy tonight, finished Bayonetta last night. From what I've read and seen this is gonna be a fun game.

From personal experience (not trying to derail thread, just an honest suggestion) take a break between Bayonetta and Darksiders.

The combat might leave you frustrated/story might leave you wanting more.

Bayonetta ruined Darksiders for me.

Sorry GAF, I had to.

AcciDante

rocK` said:
From personal experience (not trying to derail thread, just an honest suggestion) take a break between Bayonetta and Darksiders.

Sorry GAF, I had to.

Same here, haha! I got Darksiders right after I finished up Bayonetta, and it's so incredibly slow in comparison. I heard it picks up eventually, but I really don't want to sit down and play it anymore.

Man, I'm torn on picking this up. On one hand, I would love a "Zelda" styled adventure, on the other hand, I couldn't even finish Twilight Princess. Bayonetta doesn't really factor into this for me, I'm not a big fan of that type of action game, and I think I would actually appreciate the slower pace in Darksiders. I need to track down a 40$ copy, I just can't see sinking a full 60$ into it.

Always-honest said:
just started the game. But i must say that i started it right after completing AC2.
So my head was still in AC2 world and srill thinking about the ending.

so far it looks like it could be a fun game. Dear god they borrowed a loty from zelda.. much more than i imagined :p

City looks a bit bland, but i allready read that other environments will be great.
I just finished Darksiders and trying to start AC2. Can't get into it yet 2 hours in.

edgefusion

rocK` said:

Sorry GAF, I had to.

It's the other way around for me, I start to play Bayonetta and 10 minutes in I just feel bored and want to turn it off in favour of Darksiders.

Ramirez

QuadCore said:
Has the 360 been patched yet? Waiting on that to buy it.

What's wrong with it? I just started playing it this morning on 360, is there some kind of game breaking bug later on or something?

He was probably talking about the screen tearing issue.

CitizenCope said:
I just finished Darksiders and trying to start AC2. Can't get into it yet 2 hours in.
I stopped playing AC2 to play Darksiders and it's going to be hard to go back to. Not that it's a bad game or anything.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
not many have entered to win a Darksiders shirt or the signed poster thus far, PM me if you'd like more details or were confused on how to win them.

rocK`

Banned
Spike said:
They are two different types of games.

Oh, and don't be sorry. You are entitled to your opinion.

I would generally agree with this. There are striking similarities (combo system, wrath/magic power, whole defeat these group of monsters before continuing), etc. that makes it almost the same genre.

I don't know, it might be me and my liking towards Japanese development over American (ie: I find Japanese Devs more entitled to push the bill requiring a level of creativity where this game seemed to me like a fusion of WoW characters and Disney personalities).

Again, total opinion.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ramirez said:
What's wrong with it? I just started playing it this morning on 360, is there some kind of game breaking bug later on or something?

Nothing huge like that Ram. The patch is supposed to fix the screen tearing (from what I've read).

I'm on the Spider boss and I'm getting my ass beat on. First time in the game where I have zero answers.
I've read that I have to grapple up to here when she is warping around the room. Like grapple up to her when she is above me. I haven't tried it but that doesn't seem logical from the time I've spent fighting her. But I will try anything. All I've been doing is grappling to here when she is stationary in the corner and spamming my air combos. The most damage I've done to her is to get her to start popping around the room on the ceiling.

i too thought bayonetta ruined darksiders for me... well, it did at first.

then i realized the game just sucks on it's own just fine.

i did find a way to put fun mode on though: If i pull a knit cap over my eyes and mash X. it's incredibly effective even on apocalyptic.

all i've been hearing is God of War meets Zelda. yeah, without the fun or polish.

having to watch boss cutscenes over is just horrendous. i cannot forgive a single game that forces you to watch pre battle scenes over and over. it is literally the biggest fucking pile of bullshit design in the history of modern games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Truelize said:
Nothing huge like that Ram. The patch is supposed to fix the screen tearing (from what I've read).

I'm on the Spider boss and I'm getting my ass beat on. First time in the game where I have zero answers.
I've read that I have to grapple up to here when she is warping around the room. Like grapple up to her when she is above me. I haven't tried it but that doesn't seem logical from the time I've spent fighting her. But I will try anything. All I've been doing is grappling to here when she is stationary in the corner and spamming my air combos. The most damage I've done to her is to get her to start popping around the room on the ceiling.

When you hear that distinct warping sound she makes, dash/dodge away. She tends to do sequences of warps and lunges. Once she takes a breather, grapple to her and slash her face. Finishing her is VERY obvious. Getting that far is exceedingly simple since her pattern is so short and easy to exploit.

quinntendopower said:

i did find a way to put fun mode on though: If i pull a knit cap over my eyes and mash X. it's incredibly effective even on apocalyptic.

all i've been hearing is God of War meets Zelda. yeah, without the fun or polish.

having to watch boss cutscenes over is just horrendous. i cannot forgive a single game that forces you to watch pre battle scenes over and over. it is literally the biggest fucking pile of bullshit design in the history of modern games.

Jeez, Im about to start this. : (

quinntendopower said:

Ouch. D:

I started Darksiders while in the middle of playing Bayonetta.

The beginning(which consisted mostly of combat) felt dull, but I held out for the Zelda-esque puzzle solving and was pleased.

They need to hold off all the enemies with too much health and fix dodging for the sequel though. :/

Canova

Banned
quinntendopower said:

is it the Tiamat battle? :lol

yeah earlier, that boss practically handed my ass to me so many times, just because I'm not quick enough with boomerang-aiming

but c'mon, I think that's the only part where the boss battle is really challenging and the cutscene is not even that long

just finished darksiders.
awesome game and awesome ending, reminded me of gow2/soul reaver.
bring on the 3 horsemen.

get working on the sequel vigil! and let me take ruin wherever the fuck i want to go, once i got it i was really sad i couldn't ride my kickass horse of doom through a few places :( not to mention it would be faster to get around. oh and let me boost forever. i'm a horseman from hell, and i have a horse of fire. i don't think my horse would be tired.
didn't like the serpent holes either, would have enjoyed more a regular teleporter.
some sections were clearly there to mask the loading, and the ashlands were too big like
that road where you go meet azrael to go face abaddon, and the road to iron canopy.

it sounds like i have too many criticisms about the game, but i loved every second of it. awesome art, good characters, nice story, solid gameplay. great first entry of vigil games.

Funny...Darksiders ruined Bayonetta for me. While the action there is awesome almost everything else about the game wasn't for me. Darksiders has an inferior combat system but I strangely enough found it to be more satisfying than Bayonetta. Despite literally kicking guys into spiked coffins and fighting moon sized enemies in Bayonetta with the world blowing up all over me I found that Darksiders had the better "oomph". It also helps that in Darksiders when I'm not fighting there are puzzles that I actually enjoy solving (other than THAT one) and a set of characters and a story that is interesting.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Mejilan said:
When you hear that distinct warping sound she makes, dash/dodge away. She tends to do sequences of warps and lunges. Once she takes a breather, grapple to her and slash her face. Finishing her is VERY obvious. Getting that far is exceedingly simple since her pattern is so short and easy to exploit.

Wow I must have been really tired when I was playing this boss the first time. I had zero issues with her today. Your advice was no different than what I was already doing too.

Now I'm just strolling around looking for places to use my hookshot and there is an orange one in drowned pass on top of one of the broken buildings in the lake that refuses to work for me. I can't figure out the trick yet.

Fuck it, I get off work early today, and I do believe I'll pick this up. I've always liked the Zelda formula, but the Hyrule setting was really starting to grind on me, and the dialogue and characters always too "kiddie/anime."

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I had the reverse feeling about Bayonetta, lol. I kept playing and playing Bayonetta wishing it was more Darksiders.

quinntendopower said:

You can skip cutscenes.

Caspel said:
not many have entered to win a Darksiders shirt or the signed poster thus far, PM me if you'd like more details or were confused on how to win them.
You should have said up front it was a bunch of marketing hoops to jump through for your website.

Top Bottom