• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

I played the PS3 version, and there's definitely some slowdown - especially later in the game and when you use the horse. But it's not terrible. I've seen worse.

Dries

So should I wait to buy this game until the screen tearing patch is released or is it just over-exaggerated by everyone? I can't wait to play it though. A mix of Zelda and GoW pretty much seems like heaven.

MMaRsu

Dries said:
So should I wait to buy this game until the screen tearing patch is released or is it just over-exaggerated by everyone? I can't wait to play it though. A mix of Zelda and GoW pretty much seems like heaven.

It depends on how much of a hindrance it is for you. For me personally, yeah for about 40% of the game I saw it, but it doesn't really bother me personally. After awhile I didn't even notice it anymore.

Canova

Banned
Dries said:

This game is a very rare gem. There's a good balance between action and exploration/adventure

Dries said:
If you need something to play right now, I wouldn't wait.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
For those who have PMed me about the items I am giving away... here's a picture of the game, poster and shirt (2 games, 2 posters and 4 shirts are what I have)

darksiderspromo.jpg

As you can see to the right (looking at the picture) is Joe Mad's signature. We have two of these posters to give away.

Just have to follow me on twitter (http://www.twitter.com/gamezoneonline) and then follow the instructions to win.

2/5 from X-Play.

Am I playing some game that isn't Darksiders? Because whatever I am playing is considerably better than whatever they were playing.

i'm starting to like it more and more. i don't want to compare it with Zelda too much, cause it different in experience... it just borrows gameplay mechanisms, not athmosphere and charm.

zelda is a far more emotional experience, but this game uses the game mechanics in a good way.

berva

Neo Member
Darksiders is the best game of 2010 (so far :) Having said that I have Mass Effect 2 waiting for me at home so that could change very soon. I had a blast playing through Darksiders with only a few frustrating parts that I can think of.

Darksiders has been a rather slow burn for me:

After an hour I was pretty underwhelmed.
After 3 (end of the first dungeon) I was intrigued.
After 5 (almost end of second dungeon) I was hooked.
Around the 10 hour mark I was absolutely enthralled with it.

The biggest letdown for me is the under-utilization of the combat engine; I want opportunities to fight wave after wave after wave of foes. Aside from the challenge rooms which comprise about 30 minutes of total gameplay, this hasn't really happened.

Freyjadour said:
2/5 from X-Play.

Am I playing some game that isn't Darksiders? Because whatever I am playing is considerably better than whatever they were playing.
I know opinions are opinions but 2 out of 5 seems pretty mean.

forrest

formerly nacire
Caspel said:
For those who have PMed me about the items I am giving away... here's a picture of the game, poster and shirt (2 games, 2 posters and 4 shirts are what I have)

darksiderspromo.jpg

As you can see to the right (looking at the picture) is Joe Mad's signature. We have two of these posters to give away.

Just have to follow me on twitter (http://www.twitter.com/gamezoneonline) and then follow the instructions to win.

That poster if freaking awesome!

Can anyone tell me roughly in hours how far away I am from completing the game?

I'm in the Ashlands, and I got to a large area where you're in a canyon, and you have to dash along a bunch of wooden structures to get to the other side, and a goddamn asshole ashworm keeps insta-killing you if you even look at it funny.

edgefusion

Mayor Haggar said:

I'm in the Ashlands, and I got to a large area where you're in a canyon, and you have to dash along a bunch of wooden structures to get to the other side, and a goddamn asshole ashworm keeps insta-killing you if you even look at it funny.

Hard to say in hours but you've still got a good bit ahead of you.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mayor Haggar said:

You're about halfway. You've got to finish this dungeon, two more, and then the end-game.

sdornan

berva said:
Darksiders is the best game of 2010 (so far :) Having said that I have Mass Effect 2 waiting for me at home so that could change very soon. I had a blast playing through Darksiders with only a few frustrating parts that I can think of.

Piracy is bad.

Dries said:

it does. imagine a dark version of Zelda based on the book of revelations. damn, eh? but unfortunately, for me at least, the execution was poor. :( But lot of people here enjoyed it so... yeah.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dries said:

The screen tearing is pretty bad in the 360 version that I played. Pretty much any time you spin the camera around you will get some screen tearing. It isn't the worst offender on the 360, but it definitely is annoying. If you are really sensitive to screen tearing that I would advise waiting for the patch.

I am usually mildly bothered by tearing, but the game was just so much damn fun that it didn't get in the way for me this time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sdornan said:
Piracy is bad.

I've heard a few stories of places breaking street date and already selling the game so the poster might have gotten it that way.

Dries

Zefah said:
The screen tearing is pretty bad in the 360 version that I played. Pretty much any time you spin the camera around you will get some screen tearing. It isn't the worst offender on the 360, but it definitely is annoying. If you are really sensitive to screen tearing that I would advise waiting for the patch.

I am usually mildly bothered by tearing, but the game was just so much damn fun that it didn't get in the way for me this time.

Well, I still got Dragon Age to finish before I buy Darksiders (if I buy Darksiders now I know I'll never get back to DA), so hopefully the patch will be there by then.

Freyjadour said:
2/5 from X-Play.

I am not one that would normally give two shits about a review score, but damn, 2/5 is criminal for this game. I just picked it up yesterday, and I put in about two hours last night, and I am really enjoying it. Now I'm trapped at work for the next ten hours, and all I can think about is going home and playing this game.

KnuckleHead

Neo Member
The game is awesome...one of the best I have played on a console in a while. I would recommend it to anyone who is older and enjoyed Zelda: OOT and haven't played a game like it in a while.

Halcyon

I beat this game yesterday. I enjoyed it alot. My only complaints are:

1)The end boss on normal was really easy.
2)I didn't get a chance to upgrade all my stuff before said end boss, and since I know the ending is so easy my ambition to do it vanished.
3)I guess I don't really understand all the points to the story. How did abbadon become the destroyer? And as the destroyer why wasn't he stronger or more intimidating. I thought samael was much more menacing. Who is the lady that is apparently now god? And what happened to Samael? I don't remember him being mentioned after you give him the last heart.

glaurung

HalcyonTB12 said:
3)I guess I don't really understand all the points to the story. How did abbadon become the destroyer? And as the destroyer why wasn't he stronger or more intimidating. I thought samael was much more menacing. Who is the lady that is apparently now god? And what happened to Samael? I don't remember him being mentioned after you give him the last heart.
Most of the stuff you listed is probably reserved for a sequel, if there ever is one. I don't think the faceless woman voice who corrupted Abaddon is god, but that's another mystery.

wonkafest

I'm up to the
sand worm dungeon
and im pretty underwhelmed by the game now. The game seemed to peak in the first dungeon and its just become increasingly easier for some reason, also the lack of polish (mostly the lack of AA) is beginning to annoy me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, the game's pretty inconsistent, with the middle hours easily being the worst.
The next dungeon (the Iron Canopy) is a pretty big step up from the Hollows and the Ashlands. The one after the Iron Canopy is pretty magnificent, easily beating out the all others.

wonkafest

Mejilan said:
Yeah, the game's pretty inconsistent, with the middle hours easily being the worst.
The next dungeon (the Iron Canopy) is a pretty big step up from the Hollows and the Ashlands. The one after the Iron Canopy is pretty magnificent, easily beating out the all others.

I guess i'll keep on playing then. :D

Freyjadour said:
2/5 from X-Play.

Obviously X-play had to buy their own copiers, therefore lower score :lol

I hate when personal opinions interfere with what should be a professional review.

Masamuna

After beating it yesterday I've come to the conclusion that while I did enjoy myself I can only say that Darksiders is adequately functional. It really doesn't do anything wrong, but IMO it doesn't do anything exceptionally well either.

This is the first game in a while to have me go "wow, this is from game 'x'; cool!" to "the original game did it better" 20 minutes later with almost every asset be it either tool, weapon, puzzle or boss.

The biggest peeve of mine is the Watcher. This character had the potential to take the story and add a lot of meat to its bones. Instead we got a half assed Navi. Even though some people didn't like it, the conversation motif in PoP08 would have done a lot of good in this game. It would have been nice to have the Watcher actually talk more than he did, whether it was the history of the world(the Nephilim, etc), the location at the time or even just to talk down to War (more than normal).

"Hey! ListenHorseman!" Is pretty much the extent of the Watcher at this point.

I'd still recommend Darksiders to friends though.

They could've shorten the dungeons by 1/3 and add 1 or 2 more of them.
(which means more variety and more big bosses)

I don't know why they didn't add a final dungeon though.
I hate endgame like these where it jumps straight to the last boss.

Quick question about storyline I didn't get:
How'd Abaddon turn into the Destroyer ? Who was the main villain (lady who spoke to Abaddon) ? That vision near the tree of Eden didn't explain much.

bridegur

zoukka said:
I feel a pull because of the whole "it plays like a Zelda" thing.
Then again I'm pushed back the whole bad-art thing.

I felt the same but bought it anyway, and I haven't regretted it. Once you get into it, most of the art does its job, actually. On top of that, it's a great game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
theMrCravens said:
They could've shorten the dungeons by 1/3 and add 1 or 2 more of them.
(which means more variety and more big bosses)

I don't know why they didn't add a final dungeon though.
I hate endgame like these where it jumps straight to the last boss.

Near the end of a game, I'm usually just tired of puzzling and such, and just want to fight the last boss. Sounds like my kind of game ending.

I'm in Black Throne right now, doing the second part (about to fight the second mini boss).

God damn those guys hit fucking HARD (on Apocalyptic).

KevinCow

Banned
theMrCravens said:
Quick question about storyline I didn't get:
How'd Abaddon turn into the Destroyer ? Who was the main villain (lady who spoke to Abaddon) ? That vision near the tree of Eden didn't explain much.

After he died, in whatever void happens between death and nonexistence (the game's unfortunately a bit vague on what exactly happens in death, but apparently there's something there), someone - the female voice - came to him and turned him into the Destroyer.

As for who that voice belonged to, that seems to have been left intentionally vague. Popular speculation is that it's Lilith, who was featured in the preorder comic but didn't actually appear in the game. This is supported by her line, "It was you who plotted to bring us here. I just took advantage of the situation," which implies that she's a demon.

Im maybe a hour in the game, is the beginning slow because Im just going through the motions and hacking shit up, Im guessing it picks up though.

Masamuna said:
"Hey! ListenHorseman!" Is pretty much the extent of the Watcher at this point.
What? The Watcher pops up maybe once or twice a dungeon, to point on incredibly unobvious things. When you pester him in game he also spits out absolutely nothing useful. He seems to have been designed to be the anti-navi. Which sucks, because I just played Popo8 and really thought Elrika brought character to the game. Something like that would have been awesome. Double awesome because both War and Watcher's VAs are awesome. And fuck off, he doesn't sound anything like the Joker.

Anyways I'm getting burnt out on this game. I'm trudging through the sand fort right now, and as awesome as it is... the game really feels like an endless grind right now. I'm starting to hate the puzzles, I just want to go experience more of this world and kill it all. I still love the game, but I think I've had my fill.

Maybe it's just because I loathe underwater segments and that's like 80% of the second dungeon, and the only thing I dislike more than water segments is the gimmick that pops up directly after the 2nd dungeon.

Spike

Caspel said:

darksiderspromo.jpg

Damn, I need that poster!

This game seems to completely collapse at the end.
The final dungeon feels totally out of sync with the rest of the game, with the sudden marginalizing of the combat and introduction of a dominant new mechanic that wears out its welcome quickly. There's a few good puzzles, but how many times do I have to traverse those big areas with the rotating towers, with only minor variations? How many times do I have to beat that golem with only minor variations? Then a filler fetch-quest that doesn't that doesn't offer any interesting or challenging new elements, and of course you have to run through that pointless limbo-zone a bunch of times. Then I actually felt bad whilst effortlessly beating up that weakass final boss.
. Generally I liked the game a lot, but I didn't anticipate that finishing it would be such a chore. Still a good start to what could be a great series once they work out the kinks.

george_us

After shelving this for a week I finally got to the
Armageddon blade hunt.
The Black Throne really fluctuated from fantastic to fucking frustrating at times...plus it was way too fucking long. And holy sweet lord are some of the battles tedious as fuck since, not only do the enemies turn into damage sponges, but the game likes sending wave after fucking waves after you. This wouldn't be too bad if the combat didn't suck. I also love the fact that they're setting the game up for an obvious cliffhanger since there's little to no plot between the opening of the game and the end.

Prodigy095

Neo Member
I just got a PS3 & picked up Darksiders to enjoy but as soon I load up the game I get a black screen for 5-7 minutes & whenever a new area loads in-game it's another 1-2 minutes of waiting. I turned it off when I got to the cemetery @ the beginning because of all the loading.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some way to install the whole game& run it from the HD like the 360? I'd love to finish the game but @ this rate I won't ever get close.

Prodigy095 said:
I just got a PS3 & picked up Darksiders to enjoy but as soon I load up the game I get a black screen for 5-7 minutes & whenever a new area loads in-game it's another 1-2 minutes of waiting. I turned it off when I got to the cemetery @ the beginning because of all the loading.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some way to install the whole game& run it from the HD like the 360? I'd love to finish the game but @ this rate I won't ever get close.
That's not normal. Either the disc or your blu-ray drive must be defective.

Canova

Banned
Prodigy095 said:

wow sorry to hear that, either your PS3 or the game is defective

The game install runs in the background during the cutscene and first few minutes of the gameplay

Help! I missed one soldier artifact even though I felt like I've gone back to each location and scanned it with the legendary artifact that shows treasure and such on the map. is there any common easily missed soldier artifact you guys can think of that I might have missed?

Top Bottom