• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

QuadCore

Banned
Quick question. Trying to decide which platform to buy the game on.

Which has better fps?
Do they have uncompressed audio/video?
Overall feeling, which version is regarded as the best?

Thanks!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
QuadCore said:

Which has better fps?

Thanks!

Wait 'til Wednesday, when we'll see the 360 patch in action.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
QuadCore said:

Which has better fps?

Thanks!

There was some analysis posted earlier that showed the 360 to have a higher framerate but also magnitudes more tearing than the PS3 version. A patch is in the works to fix the tearing, but there is a high possibility that it will just be turning V-Sync on and locking the fps at 30 so it might end up being about the same as the PS3 version.

Ponn

Banned
hdn said:
Hi all,

it's took a little longer than expected, but the patch for the screen tearing problem will be released on Wednesday (2am pst). The patch has been done for a little while, but it's had to go through testing before it was released to the public!

http://ow.ly/10n8Z

Edit -- Just noticed ZEALOUS already beat me to the punch *shakes head*

Does this patch also fix the elevator glitch in
Black Throne
?

Spike

In the 360 version we noticed a fair amount of screen tearing; why did this happen only on the 360, and will we see a fix to this in a patch?

This is just one of those things that managed to slip past the radar. It’s quite extraordinary when you think of all the effort that goes into testing a game: we have studio level testing, corporate level testing, first-party testing, etc. The reason it occurs on the 360 is because the 360 is not v-synched, so the frame-rate will often jump well above 30 (closer to 60 in many places), and it’s in those really high frame-rate areas that you start to notice the screen tearing. The PS3 version is v-synched to 30 fps, so the screen tearing is almost negligible. We are definitely putting out a patch to fix this (and it should hopefully be live by the time anyone reads this!)

Link.

So the 360 version is going to be v-synched to 30fps as well now.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Ponn01 said:
Does this patch also fix the elevator glitch in
Black Throne
?

No it does not. We did thorough playthroughs (here, corporate and externally) of all the levels and never found the black throne problem, or we wouldn't have released the game.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
So I started this game thinking I'd go for 100% of the achievements, even struggling through apocalyptic for the first bit (definitely got better as the game went on).

But now that I've finished it, I'm going to have to forgo getting everything in this game. I spent 6 hours running around the entire game picking up stuff I missed, and I'm still missing things. Even though you can see items on the map, the maps are split up into such small discrete segments theres no way to get an overview of where you're missing things.

Also, screw leveling weapons. Chaos eater is of course done, scythe is almost there because I used it exclusively for easier enemies... but I'm not up for grinding for the hours it'd take to get the 3rd weapon up. I tried for a bit, but for every minute I spent actually hitting stuff I'd spend 3 minutes trying to find more.

tadcalabash said:
So I started this game thinking I'd go for 100% of the achievements, even struggling through apocalyptic for the first bit (definitely got better as the game went on).

But now that I've finished it, I'm going to have to forgo getting everything in this game. I spent 6 hours running around the entire game picking up stuff I missed, and I'm still missing things. Even though you can see items on the map, the maps are split up into such small discrete segments theres no way to get an overview of where you're missing things.

Also, screw leveling weapons. Chaos eater is of course done, scythe is almost there because I used it exclusively for easier enemies... but I'm not up for grinding for the hours it'd take to get the 3rd weapon up. I tried for a bit, but for every minute I spent actually hitting stuff I'd spend 3 minutes trying to find more.
I agree. I think 6 months ago I might have grinded and used FAQs to get all the achievements, but now I'm starting to consider how much time and frustration go into some achievements versus the satisfaction I get from them.

Honestly I'd have more fun blowing through the game again just for shits and giggles, and not for achievements, which is what I plan on doing next.

tadcalabash said:

It took me 15 hrs to get 1000/1000, so about 4 hours of searching and grinding after completing the main game.

The soul collecting and weapon exp wasn't that bad. Just go to that 10+ spider room near the boss in Iron Canopy and keep killing them.

legbone

i beat this a couple weeks ago. plan on running through it again after the patch. glad it's coming this week. anyway, i was wondering if they ever announced what the code that came with the game is for. not the scythe one but the other one. if it's something in game i may wait until i found out what it is for.

legbone said:
i beat this a couple weeks ago. plan on running through it again after the patch. glad it's coming this week. anyway, i was wondering if they ever announced what the code that came with the game is for. not the scythe one but the other one. if it's something in game i may wait until i found out what it is for.
Yeah it'd be nice to know, I wonder what they're waiting for. Maybe hdn can give us a hint.

taylor910

I fucking suck at this game.

Any tips on not dieing really fast? I am only about 1 hour into the game and any enemy other than the 3-4 hit ones take away about half of my health bar.

Spike

QuadCore said:
Hdn,

Does the ps3 version have uncompressed or less compressed audio/video compared to the 360 version?

The PS3 version's cutscenes are uncompressed.

Download this 720p comparison video and it should answer any questions you have.

I found almost everything while simply playing the game. I used youtube to find the location of two armor shards, two Legendary enhancements, one of which was Fury's Embrace, and then simply warped around to each area and scanned through the maps. I managed to gather everything in little to no time, except a few life and wrath shards.

taylor910 said:

Any tips on not dieing really fast? I am only about 1 hour into the game and any enemy other than the 3-4 hit ones take away about half of my health bar.

If you're playing 360 get to know and love the right bumper for blocking and sprinting out of the way of slow powerful attacks.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
QuadCore said:
Hdn,

Does the ps3 version have uncompressed or less compressed audio/video compared to the 360 version?

The PS3 uses MP3, while the 360 uses XMA. It (the ps3) also outputs DTS instead of Dolby Digital if you've setup the PS3 to do so (it can use either). They're very, very similar (because we wanted it that way) and they're both compressed formats. So it all comes down to your personal preference of hardware really.

H

This game needs a new game + mode. Even if it didn't carry over the hookshot/boomerang type items, it'd be nice to carry over weapon experience and moves instead of having to start over. HDN is that something you guys considered? (I hear abyssal armor carries over so that's good at least).

soco

QuadCore said:

Which has better fps?

Thanks!

no current gen system does uncompressed video at HD resolutions.

if the tearing is corrected on both, i think the consensus before was that the 360 version would look better.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Neuromancer said:
This game needs a new game + mode. Even if it didn't carry over the hookshot/boomerang type items, it'd be nice to carry over weapon experience and moves instead of having to start over. HDN is that something you guys considered? (I hear abyssal armor carries over so that's good at least).

Yes it is, and it's very unfortunate that it never made it into the end game, because we know that people want to track through again all TOOLED UP N BADASS. Time's a biatch :(

cornerman

hdn

Finished the PS3 version of Darksiders last week and I have to say you guys made a great game. I really look forward to the sequel. You've got a great foundation built. I think some of the reviews of your game have been a little unfair. Rest assured, I'm spreading the good word to my fellow gaming friends.

There's a cinematic towards the end where War encounters that female angel (name escapes me at the moment) and you guys use a unique camera angle/editing trick wherein you see both characters, as well as do a close up of their faces....(its probably a pretty vague description)...but I thought it was pretty cool. Love to hear what you guys have in mind as a follow-up or what you'd like to improve.

MakgSnake

Banned
I am still deciding between this and Beyonetta.

Not a HUGE Zelda fan, but this game looks good. Oh and the Art work is just a little too "out there".

Hopefully will get this game at a price drop or at random sale.

KevinCow

Banned
cornerman said:
There's a cinematic towards the end where War encounters that female angel (name escapes me at the moment) and you guys use a unique camera angle/editing trick wherein you see both characters, as well as do a close up of their faces....(its probably a pretty vague description)...but I thought it was pretty cool. Love to hear what you guys have in mind as a follow-up or what you'd like to improve.

I know which one you're talking about, and I liked that too. It reminded me of the Speed Racer movie.

berva

Neo Member
This Patch for the 360 is taking way to long, most players will have completed or be close to completion by the time it drops. It's not a deal breaker as the game rocks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is there a glitch in this game involving upgrading the Scythe? I swear I have it leveled up but the EXP bar is just staying at full with no rune in the status screen.

Edit: nevermind, now it just did

John

taylor910 said:

My best advice is probably to stop trying to be great at the combat. By that, I mean that the best tactic is almost always to just mash the sword combo and dodge laterally whenever an enemy telegraphs an attack. Don't get fancy. Use the scythe's horizontal spin (hold down triangle) for 360* crowd control, and use the hookshot on flying witches.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've really warmed up to the game recently.

But these ghost enemies in the Black Throne are cheap. :(

glaurung

Rez said:
I've really warmed up to the game recently.

But these ghost enemies in the Black Throne are cheap. :(
Those witches aren't cheap, by that time War is a complete bad-ass and very little can hurt him.

The only truly cheap enemies are the exploding elementals near the beginning of the game, but only because War is so underpowered during that time.

glaurung said:
Those witches aren't cheap, by that time War is a complete bad-ass and very little can hurt him.

The only truly cheap enemies are the exploding elementals near the beginning of the game, but only because War is so underpowered during that time.
hehe, yeah hated those.

Damn, i'm recommending this game to everyone now. it's as big of a surprise to me as batman was. It borrowes from so many games that it's almost an Ode to (great) games in general.

Rikyfree

If only Zelda were more like GoW.

2iu5l50.jpg

Feindflug

The patch is up on the UK marketplace, the frame-rate is locked at 30fps and there's no tearing..fuck yes! today I'll sink into this beauty. :D

Thanks Vigil for listening to the fans and fixing the problem. :)

glaurung

Has there been talk of DLC?

Are there Vigil developers or representatives reading this thread?

If yes, tell me where to send money for new War costumes.

Truant

Feindflug said:
The patch is up on the UK marketplace, the frame-rate is locked at 30fps and there's no tearing..fuck yes! today I'll sink into this beauty. :D

Thanks Vigil for listening to the fans and fixing the problem. :)

Awesome!

Took a break from this game when I hit the spider dungeon (which is pretty bland) to play Mass Effect 2. Nice to go back to a patched game.

Haven't seen this one here. Japanese packshot:

333erv8.jpg

Does it have English dialogue and subs? If so, I might import it. Way better than US/EU packshot imho.

masud

Banned
I cant beat tiamat, I can get past the first part without getting hit but when she goes to the ground its over. Is there something I'm missing? I've gotten her charge me so that I can use the 'b' move again and again but it just wont end. I was enjoying the game up until this point but this is pissing me off. Maybe I shouldn't have put it on hard.

Edit: nevermind, it's stupid that you can only beat the boss one way or in will continue forever

glaurung

masud said:
I cant beat tiamat, I can get past the first part without getting hit but when she goes to the ground its over. Is there something I'm missing? I've gotten her charge me so that I can use the 'b' move again and again but it just wont end. I was enjoying the game up until this point but this is pissing me off. Maybe I shouldn't have put it on hard.
Persevere.

Charge the crossblade and have it grind her. Dodge her attacks. When she charges you, tap circle or B.

Eventually she will start taking longer timeouts. Head in there and cleave her good.

Notorious_Roy said:

http://i46.tinypic.com/333erv8.jpg

Does it have English dialogue and subs? If so, I might import it. Way better than US/EU packshot imho.

Much better. Our box art was awful TBH and I always thought this boxart convayed the game better.

Also how ironic that the game isn't supposed to get DLC yet they split the trophies so you could sort them in full trophy or DLC trophy mode. Not sure I do care about DLC for this title now, maybe best to get on with the next one.

eshwaaz

Just downloaded the patch - screen tearing is indeed gone. Framerate feels a bit boggy now in more areas, but I'll gladly take it over the tearing. Shame it won't make that much of a difference to me as I'm probably about an hour away from beating the game, but still a fantastic experience overall. I can't wait to see what Vigil does next.

taylor910

John said:
My best advice is probably to stop trying to be great at the combat. By that, I mean that the best tactic is almost always to just mash the sword combo and dodge laterally whenever an enemy telegraphs an attack. Don't get fancy. Use the scythe's horizontal spin (hold down triangle) for 360* crowd control, and use the hookshot on flying witches.

So I should buy the scythe? That is my only option right now in terms of weapons to buy, just figured I'd keep the sword I started with since Ive been leveling it up.

John

Nah, the boomerang's useless against the etheral witch dudes. Hookshot them and they're down.

taylor910 said:
So I should buy the scythe? That is my only option right now in terms of weapons to buy, just figured I'd keep the sword I started with since Ive been leveling it up.
Oh absolutely. It's a secondary weapon, so you can use both alternating. Or just type in the code "The Hollow Lord" (with caps) into the code menu.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Notorious_Roy said:

333erv8.jpg

It's a full on Japanese sku, so no English (from what I remember, I can double check). I'm really loving the fact that we did a Japanese version of Darksiders, and it's awesome to see the Konami logo on it too.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
taylor910 said:

yes, and YES! The Scythe adds a slightly different dynamic for crowd control, but more than anything, you can mix it seamlessly with The Chaoseater sword, so now X and Y do something ;)

Mrbob

I just defeated tiamat, interesting game. Dungeon set up is a similar in design to Zelda. First one a bit simple, but I'm sure it'll get more complex.

I have the 360 version so I guess I'll grab the patch when I get home. Is there an option to toggle vsync on and off or will it just be on post patch? I might want to compare the two and see what I like better. There are some areas where the screen tearing is a little annoying, but on a whole I appreciate the faster frame rate I can get at times.

Top Bottom