• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

QuadCore

Banned
hdn said:
canova said:
ok what's this tidbit you're talking about? :D you CAN NOT mention it and leave us hanging

sorry, I cannot say much more. It's not ground breaking stuff, but these updates will keep Darksiders in the headlines, maybe even giving it a little surge to those that are on the fence about it.

I hate to say it, but instead of buying it right now, I'm going to wait to see what this update/dlc is first.

does this game really not save your option settings? i have to invert my y-axis every single time i start the game up and load my save from my hdd.

Booser

Cool that there is more Darksiders stuff on the way. Cant wait to see the sequel and whatever else Vigil is working on.

I only hope they dont abandon the whole Zelda style exploration and set up in favour of a more linear / action orientated game which suits co-op. Dont get me wrong, co-op with the other horsemen would be class - just not at the expense of the awesome single player game.

Booser said:
Cool that there is more Darksiders stuff on the way. Cant wait to see the sequel and whatever else Vigil is working on.

I only hope they dont abandon the whole Zelda style exploration and set up in favour of a more linear / action orientated game which suits co-op. Dont get me wrong, co-op with the other horsemen would be class - just not at the expense of the awesome single player game.
I agree. I would almost go so far as to say I'd rather not have co-op in the next game. Sometimes it's nice just having a real solid single player game every once in a while.

Ding

Hey all,

I got this game last week, and I'm really enjoying it. I've never played a game like it. (I wouldn't know a Zelda game if one came up and bit me.) Even though this whole 3rd person brawling thing is new to me, I haven't found it to be too difficult. I mostly just mash the sword button and dash when someone winds up at me.

I've only died a handful of times during normal combat, but the bosses have typically taken me many attempts. I had to break down and look for hints for the Tiamat and dude-with-laser-beam fights. The latter was easy after finding out what the "trick" was, but Tiamat was a bitch. Much harder than any of the other bosses I've seen thus far. (I just killed Stygian.) In about half my fights with Tiamat, by dodge button would just stop working after a while. Was that a glitch, or does War get tired if he dodges too much? Anyway, when that happened, I'd just have to start the whole fight over again.

Let's see, questions....

What is this "Hookshot" thing you guys are talking about? Do I have that yet? I have the sword, the scythe, the horn, the x-shaped boomerang thing, and the pistol. I think that's it. Oh, and the glove.

I see blue things floating way up high, everywhere. Will I eventually be given the ability to fly up to them, or am I overlooking a different way to get at them? (Are they artifacts?)

I while back I got a special power thingie that lets me see all the un-collected treasures on my map. In the "dungeon" where I got the power, it worked great. I was able to go back and grab a couple things that I had missed earlier. But since then, I haven't seen anything on my map. What's up with that?

What's the story with consumables and empty vessels? Does owning empty vessels open up more consumable "slots"? It seems like recently I suddenly became able to carry more health tonics. Does buying a consumable, and then consuming it, leave you with an empty vessel? It doesn't seem like both of those things could be true.

Ding said:
What is this "Hookshot" thing you guys are talking about? Do I have that yet? I have the sword, the scythe, the horn, the x-shaped boomerang thing, and the pistol. I think that's it. Oh, and the glove.
You'll know when you get it.

Ding said:
I see blue things floating way up high, everywhere. Will I eventually be given the ability to fly up to them, or am I overlooking a different way to get at them? (Are they artifacts?)
Those are what you're going to hookshot onto, later.

Ding said:
I while back I got a special power thingie that lets me see all the un-collected treasures on my map. In the "dungeon" where I got the power, it worked great. I was able to go back and grab a couple things that I had missed earlier. But since then, I haven't seen anything on my map. What's up with that?
Each dungeon has it's own treasure map, which only works in that dungeon.

Ding said:
What's the story with consumables and empty vessels? Does owning empty vessels open up more consumable "slots"? It seems like recently I suddenly became able to carry more health tonics. Does buying a consumable, and then consuming it, leave you with an empty vessel? It doesn't seem like both of those things could be true.
Can't help you on that one. I never bought any empty vessels and ended up with 4 or 5 at the end, not sure how or when I got them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ding said:
In about half my fights with Tiamat, by dodge button would just stop working after a while. Was that a glitch, or does War get tired if he dodges too much? Anyway, when that happened, I'd just have to start the whole fight over again.

War can't dodge twice in the same direction consecutively. So if you want to dodge multiple times, dodge in different directions. In this game, dodging to the side seems to work best.

That's the Abyssal Chain. You don't have it yet.

You'll get to use those once you get the Abyssal Chain. They are not artifacts. Artifacts are green.

Hoard seekers only work in the area you find them in. You can eventually get a weapon attachment that will show all items on all maps. It's in the Black Throne, basically the last dungeon of the game.

It is a bit confusing. All of the consumables you buy from Vulgrim require you to have an empty vessel. However, you will find several consumables in the environment as you go through the game, and they will already be in empty vessels. Think of it like putting potion in a bottle. You need a bottle to put potion in. When you buy consumables from Vulgrim, it's like buying potion without the bottle. When you find consumables, they're already in a bottle.

I think there also needs be some major praise given to all the people who did the Screens and UI for the game. I am so used to super clean and futuristic ones in current games. Never really seen a cool hybrid of fantasy/tech/joe mad(comic book) style of UI before. It all works really good!

KevinCow

Banned
Ding said:

Just keep playing. Both of these questions will be answered in a bit.

Yeah, the Hordeseeker items only work on the area you find them in. There is an optional item that you may find later in the game that will reveal all the secrets.

Yes, empty vessels open up more consumable slots. There are exactly eight empty vessels to find in the game. I believe you start with one, Vulgrim sells you another, and the others are found throughout the game. Whenever you open a chest and find a Life Essence or other consumable, you've also gotten a new vessel. You don't get a new one when you buy a consumable from Vulgrim, though; those just fill up whatever empty vessels you have.

Also, I'd really recommend checking out Zelda and God of War if you're enjoying this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished. I'm really glad I stuck with it!

Most of the complaints I had before are still there (less than intuitive controls, over-reliance on the crumbling city art, the best looking moments were the brief periods in Anvil's Ford or Eden when there was no city-scape or subway tunnel in sight, unfortunately they were also when the frame-rate took a hit in the PS3 version), but outside of that, I had a whole lot of fun with it.

I'm looking forward to Darksiders 2. There's obviously some serious talent at Vigil. :)

can someone explain to me what purpose a 'save game' option serves if you lose the stuff you've acquired since arriving in a new area? i have to go back and get like 6 items because the save system didn't actually save my progress.

fucking stupid.

A question to the ones with the PS3 version.

Whenever I quit the game to return to the XMB my PS3 restart itself, does this happen to anyone else?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
scissorfight said:
can someone explain to me what purpose a 'save game' option serves if you lose the stuff you've acquired since arriving in a new area? i have to go back and get like 6 items because the save system didn't actually save my progress.

fucking stupid.
are you sure you're not just choosing 'continue' from the menu? the continue starts from the last auto-save, not the last manually saved game.

IonicSnake said:

Whenever I quit the game to return to the XMB my PS3 restart itself, does this happen to anyone else?

Happens to me everytime? I thought it was my ps3, but maybe its game specific because this si the only one ive been playing for a few weeks.

KevinCow

Banned
scissorfight said:

fucking stupid.

This never happened to me. Did you choose "Continue" or "Load game" when you started it back up?

Rez said:
are you sure you're not just choosing 'continue' from the menu? the continue starts from the last auto-save, not the last manually saved game.
well, that explains it. you would think that would load you last save by default.

Rez said:

I've never actually saved the game normally in Darksiders, I've done the entire thing on autosave. :lol

IonicSnake said:

Happened to me a few times but not always. Seems to happen with other people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
scissorfight said:
well, that explains it. you would think that would load you last save by default.
yeah, I learnt that the hard way as well. It makes no sense.

Colocho

Banned
scissorfight said:
I'm playing GTA IV right now and it pulls this bullshit too. I was completely pissed until I realized what was going on.

Hey Hdn, excitement over the code in the box is reaching a fever pitch. Even the Bombcast was talking about it. What are you guys waiting for?

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Neuromancer said:
Hey Hdn, excitement over the code in the box is reaching a fever pitch. Even the Bombcast was talking about it. What are you guys waiting for?

This is not Vigil's doing!

THQ has some plan for them but I don't know what it is. I think it's probably been hyped up so much that whatever it is, it won't meet the expectations, although I hope it does. lol.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

scissorfight said:
You'd think, its really asinine that it doesn't.

I spent an HOUR looking for my last wrath shard only to find out it was still where I had collected it the night previous because I selected 'Continue' which auto-saved about a minute prior to obtaining it.

Good game, but its full of silly design flaws just like that.

ZealousD

Neuromancer said:

The Tales of Vesperia Special Edition bonus was sort of like this. They included a code in the game and it didn't work on release. Almost a year later they finally let it be redeemed for nothing more but an additional soundtrack CD set.

:lol I just saw the Ruin mask on the Avatar marketplace... Shame the rest of the outfits were terrible, if the War outfit was anything like the in-game one I probably would have bought it.

Ding

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions.

ZealousD said:
War can't dodge twice in the same direction consecutively. So if you want to dodge multiple times, dodge in different directions. In this game, dodging to the side seems to work best.
No, whatever was happening to me during the Tiamat fight was different. At some point in the fight, often right at the beginning, I would lose all ability to dodge. Zee button, it would do nothing. (Maybe block still worked. Not sure.) At that point, I'd just let Tiamat kill me so I could start the fight over.

I guess it was a glitch. It's never happened to me before or since.

ZealousD said:
You'll get to use those once you get the Abyssal Chain. They are not artifacts. Artifacts are green.
Oh! I guess it's good news that I'm not yet meant to get at those thingies, but kinda bad news that all those things aren't more armor pieces. I was really hoping that's what they were. I feel like I'm more than halfway through the game, and I've only found two pieces of armor. Maybe three. I fear I must not be finding everything I'm supposed to.

Hoard seekers only work in the area you find them in. You can eventually get a weapon attachment that will show all items on all maps. It's in the Black Throne, basically the last dungeon of the game.
Ah, interesting. Of the 4-5 dungeons I've explored so far, I've only found one of those Hoard Seekers. That's.... troubling. Am I failing to find 80% of all treasure? Yike.

It is a bit confusing. All of the consumables you buy from Vulgrim require you to have an empty vessel. However, you will find several consumables in the environment as you go through the game, and they will already be in empty vessels. Think of it like putting potion in a bottle. You need a bottle to put potion in. When you buy consumables from Vulgrim, it's like buying potion without the bottle. When you find consumables, they're already in a bottle.
Great explanation, thanks.

Oh, new question!

At first, I was turning artifacts in to Vulgrim, just as soon as I ran across him again. I was getting $500 (I think) each time. Then, one time, I turned in 3 at once, and the money went something like $500 + $1000 + $2000. For a total of $3500. Am I to understand that turning artifacts in "in groups" results in lots more moola? (Or was I just carrying three different "grades" of artifact?)

I have been really impressed on what a good job this game has done at introducing things gradually. I'm challenged, but I rarely feel "stuck" or hopelessly overmatched. In particular, the "dungeons" are linear enough that when I do get stuck, I have a pretty good idea what obstruction I need to defeat next. There's no, "Oh, I needed to knock over a pillar 5 rooms ago." The solution seems (so far) to always be in the same room as the problem, and I appreciate that.

KevinCow said:
Also, I'd really recommend checking out Zelda and God of War if you're enjoying this game.
I don't think I can play Zelda on my 360, can I? And GoW sounds a lot harder. (And also, not 360-friendly.) I am enjoying this game-genre, however. Is Batman:AA a similar sort of thing? I've been considering getting that.

Oh, one more question: Is there a consensus on what is the best slotted-doohicky to "attach" to the sword? I've got four of them right now. I started off using one that increases damage, but right now I'm using one that increases the rate at which the sword gains experience. I figured I'd stick with that one until I maxed out the sword's exp, and only then switch to something "more fun". My other doo-dads increase souls from environmental objects, add fire damage, add regular damage, and perhaps one other thing I don't remember.

Kameo and Batman AA are the closest things to this game on the 360 I think. Batman has more streamlined combat and puts greater emphasis on environment exploration. Kameo is more linear with more focus on abilities/upgrades.

ZealousD

Ding said:
I feel like I'm more than halfway through the game, and I've only found two pieces of armor.

Have you gotten Ruin yet? That's basically the halfway point.

Ah, interesting. Of the 4-5 dungeons I've explored so far, I've only found one of those Hoard Seekers. That's.... troubling. Am I failing to find 80% of all treasure? Yike.

Okay, just to clarify, not every area on your map is considered a dungeon. Everything else is considered part of the overworld. There's 5 dungeons in the game. Twilight Cathedral, The Hollows, The Ashlands, Iron Canopy, and Black Throne. The Hoard Seekers in the dungeons are actually pretty tricky to find, usually they're one of the most well hidden items in them. The Crossroads is the only part of the overworld where you can get a Hoard Seeker.

At first, I was turning artifacts in to Vulgrim, just as soon as I ran across him again. I was getting $500 (I think) each time. Then, one time, I turned in 3 at once, and the money went something like $500 + $1000 + $2000. For a total of $3500. Am I to understand that turning artifacts in "in groups" results in lots more moola? (Or was I just carrying three different "grades" of artifact?)

Different artifacts can have different values. You don't have to worry about turning in artifacts in groups.

Is Batman:AA a similar sort of thing? I've been considering getting that.

Mmmmmm.... sorta. The puzzles are much different, but there is the same sense of getting new items, exploring new areas, etc. It is definitely a very good game that you should get.

Oh, one more question: Is there a consensus on what is the best slotted-doohicky to "attach" to the sword? I've got four of them right now. I started off using one that increases damage, but right now I'm using one that increases the rate at which the sword gains experience. I figured I'd stick with that one until I maxed out the sword's exp, and only then switch to something "more fun". My other doo-dads increase souls from environmental objects, add fire damage, add regular damage, and perhaps one other thing I don't remember.

War's Glory is probably the best attachment in the game. It significantly increases the amount of chaos earned as well as significantly increases the rate at which you level weapons. It's much later in the game.

As for now, don't worry about leveling up your sword. Later in the game the sword will automatically level up to the max level. Stick the weapon experience attachment onto one of your secondary weapons. For now, you should probably go with either the +normal or +fire damage one.

Spike

Ding said:
Oh, new question!

You were definitely carrying three different "grades" of artifact.

I don't think I can play Zelda on my 360, can I? And GoW sounds a lot harder. (And also, not 360-friendly.) I am enjoying this game-genre, however. Is Batman:AA a similar sort of thing? I've been considering getting that.

Zelda is a Nintendo property, so no, you cannot play it on the 360. Closest games you will find on the 360 would be Kameo and Batman. Definitely get Batman.

If you don't have a PS3, and you are fond of the actual fighting sequences, then you can get Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and Dante's Inferno is coming out soon.

You have the correct attribute allotted to the sword right now. Later on, as your level increases, you can go with the Fire damage.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
was I the only one who primarily used the Scythe?

I loved that thing. Its charge and attack move and its 360 degree attack move were devastating once it was leveled up a bit.

Joei

This might be a silly question and I'm not sure if you can answer it hdn, but are there any plans for any of the DLC to be console exclusive? I know you mentioned one that is coming up, is that going to be available for all players? Thanks in advance for any information that you can give.

KevinCow

Banned
Ding said:

Zelda's owned by Nintendo and God of War by Sony, so yeah, neither of them are on the 360.

You could probably find an N64 and a copy of Ocarina of Time pretty cheap, like less than $30 for both together. Other than that, I'd just keep Zelda in mind in case you ever wind up with a Nintendo console. Any Nintendo console, really; there's at least one Zelda game available for all of them, and through backwards compatibility and Virtual Console, all the console games are available on the Wii.

As for God of War, it's not really harder than Darksiders. If you ever wind up with a PS2, you should at least give the first one a shot.

Batman? It's different in a lot of ways, but it also has a good mix of exploration and combat. I'd recommend it.

I picked this up last weekend and really liked it, only just passed the 2nd dungeon/boss. Someone said you get RUIN halfway through so I'm guessing that's after the next dungeon/boss?

Also I'm assuming all those items/areas i cant access at the moment i can access later with new gadgets/weapons? I just hate missing stuff lol.

Thanks

Canti

Nearly finished collecting the last of the trophies. Have to start a new game to grab the 5 duskbats kill and am missing 2 wrath shards, they're driving me crazy.

I notice there's still an empty equip slot on the pause menu (below the engame sword/armor slots), anyone know what it's for? Did I miss something else?

glaurung

Canti said:
Nearly finished collecting the last of the trophies. Have to start a new game to grab the 5 duskbats kill and am missing 2 wrath shards, they're driving me crazy.

I notice there's still an empty equip slot on the pause menu (below the engame sword/armor slots), anyone know what it's for? Did I miss something else?
Unless you're missing Bane I have no idea.

You can buy Bane from Vulgrim.

Naeblish

I really love this game, yesterday i finally got to the black tower, i had high hopes but it really sucked. I'm not really a puzzle guy, but i found the puzzles before the tower to be more satisfying. Also, repeating the same area basically three times didn't help, and the controls against those 3
robots
made me want to smash my controller on the ground. The A button sometimes simply doesn't register.

I now have to collect the
7 sword pieces
, how many hours of playtime after that till the ending? I want to play Mass Effect 2 this weekend, but really need to finish this first.

glaurung

Naeblish said:
I really love this game, yesterday i finally got to the black tower, i had high hopes but it really sucked. I'm not really a puzzle guy, but i found the puzzles before the tower to be more satisfying. Also, repeating the same area basically three times didn't help, and the controls against those 3
robots
made me want to smash my controller on the ground. The A button sometimes simply doesn't register.

I now have to collect the
7 sword pieces
, how many hours of playtime after that till the ending? I want to play Mass Effect 2 this weekend, but really need to finish this first.
Provided you have the Vulgrim locations activated, you can find all the sword fragments real quick. Although, you might find some hindrances along the way.

Basically you're within the last tenth of the game.

Naeblish

Alright thnx. Somehow this game felt way longer then the played hours, i really enjoyed the mix of exploration, puzzles and combat.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is the scene where you show Vulgrim (post-Twilight Cathedral spoilers)
Tiamat's heart and he gets all antsy
ever expanded upon?

Can someone explain to me what the deal with Samael was? There wasn't really any pay off there, unless I'm missing something really obvious.

I suppose it's all threads left open for a sequel.

eshwaaz

Just beat it last night. Any complaints I have are minor; it was pretty much non-stop fun from beginning to end. Plenty of excellent puzzles, and I personally loved the look of the game. There are so many nice touches, especially in terms of atmospheric effects, that many higher profile releases lack. Hats off, Vigil.

The game is awesome, but the difficult was dissapointing. Even playing on Apocalypse the last bosses were easy - mainly the final boss, which I beat without using any itens. So, you spend the entire game exploring, collecting and buying stuff and later in the game you have no reason to use it, since the final boss is a piece of cake (and that was playing on the hard mode).

Canti

glaurung said:
Unless you're missing Bane I have no idea.

You can buy Bane from Vulgrim.
Ah no I described it badly, I mean to say from the pause menu with your weapon levels etc, below life and wrath shards. Anywho after some research I found its where heart of the chosen was held until passed onto Samael.

Thanks to everyone who offered me assistance, finally got that platinum trophy. After passing aerial predator with 162 kills (barely) and managed to round up the 5 duskbats outside twilight cathedral and get that bronze without starting a new game, huzzah :D

Now where's the sequel? :lol

ZealousD

Rez said:
Can someone explain to me what the deal with Samael was? There wasn't really any pay off there, unless I'm missing something really obvious.

The pre-order comic explained that Samael was next in line to rule over Hell. Thus, the Destroyer needed to imprison him and take away his powers so he wouldn't pose a threat to his rule. I'm guessing with his powers returned, he'll probably emerge as a major antagonist in the sequel.

Spike

For those still on the fence about which version to get, Digital Foundry is going to have their head to head faceoff next week and this is one of the games featured.

They also have a comparison of the 360 version before and after the patch here.

Mrbob

To try to keep spoiler free for others, I just finished the spider area. Am I approaching end game? Just want to make sure I can run back and find all the treasures I need before finishing this game!

ZealousD said:
As for now, don't worry about leveling up your sword. Later in the game the sword will automatically level up to the max level. Stick the weapon experience attachment onto one of your secondary weapons. For now, you should probably go with either the +normal or +fire damage one.

Yes I just found this and I'm a bit mad I spent all those souls on my sword when I could have stuck it into other things instead. :lol Especially since I'm reading this game doesn't have any sort of newgame+ option.

On my apocalyptic run I'll make sure to distribute my soul upgrades differently.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
The pre-order comic explained that Samael was next in line to rule over Hell. Thus, the Destroyer needed to imprison him and take away his powers so he wouldn't pose a threat to his rule. I'm guessing with his powers returned, he'll probably emerge as a major antagonist in the sequel.
ah, neat. thanks :)

Undeux

I'm so glad I'm done with the puzzle-heavy section after you get
the portal gun.
I was kind of frustrated at how much it broke the flow of the game - I just wanted to get it done with. Aside from that, though, I've totally loved the game. I'm kind of disappointed that I'm (probably) so close to the end.

Top Bottom