• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

sinnergy

hdn said:
Hi all,

it's took a little longer than expected, but the patch for the screen tearing problem will be released on Wednesday (2am pst). The patch has been done for a little while, but it's had to go through testing before it was released to the public!

http://ow.ly/10n8Z

Edit -- Just noticed ZEALOUS already beat me to the punch *shakes head*

Thank you! Now I can continue my awesome quest.

luvcraft

Neo Member
So, I keep hearing Darksiders being compared to Zelda (as in the title of this thread), and I also keep hearing Batman:AA being compared to Metroid. My question is, how are those comparisons different at this point; i.e. how is Darksiders more like Zelda than Metroid, and how is Batman:AA more like Metroid than Zelda?

Canova

Banned
Notorious_Roy said:
Haven't seen this one here. Japanese packshot:

333erv8.jpg

Does it have English dialogue and subs? If so, I might import it. Way better than US/EU packshot imho.

wow that's such a badass cover

so any news on the sale number?

John said:
Nah, the boomerang's useless against the etheral witch dudes. Hookshot them and they're down.

yup, that's what I did to those beaotches, hookshot them

KevinCow

Banned
luvcraft said:
So, I keep hearing Darksiders being compared to Zelda (as in the title of this thread), and I also keep hearing Batman:AA being compared to Metroid. My question is, how are those comparisons different at this point; i.e. how is Darksiders more like Zelda than Metroid, and how is Batman:AA more like Metroid than Zelda?

The way I see it, the main difference between Metroid and Zelda is how the game is structured. In Zelda, it typically goes: Overworld -> Dungeon 1 -> Overworld -> Dungeon 2 -> Overworld... and so on. You'll never have to return to a dungeon. Even if you're going for 100%, all items in a dungeon will usually be accessible with the items you've obtained up to that point.

Metroid, on the other hand, generally doesn't have an overworld, and instead goes something like: Area 1 -> Area 2 -> Area 3 -> Area 1 -> Area 4 -> Area 2 -> Area 1... and so on. It's a bit more random than Zelda... usually.

Darksiders is just like Zelda. You have the overworld and dungeons. Do dungeon 1, return to overworld, do dungeon 2, return to overworld - although, Darksiders blends some of the dungeons into the overworld, so sometimes you might get halfway through a dungeon before you realize it's actually a dungeon. Its overworld also doesn't have nearly as much stuff to do as a typical Zelda. There's hidden stuff to find, but not really anything in the way of sidequests or mini-games.

Batman is somewhere in between Zelda and Metroid. Actually, I think it compares best to Metroid Fusion - which is a Metroid game, yes, but differs in overall game structure from the likes of Super and Prime. Like Zelda, there's an overworld and sub-areas; unlike Zelda, you'll have to return to those areas multiple times. So it goes something like: Overworld -> Area 1 -> Overworld -> Area 2 -> Overworld -> Area 3 -> Overworld -> Area 1. You'll be able to access new areas in these areas with new items you've picked up, and you'll occasionally find that an area's changed in one way or another when you return to it.

Joei

Ah... it looks like post patch, the 360 one might be slightly better. Though, those differences seem so small I'm not sure it'll be a noticable difference. I was on the fence myself, but just went ahead and ordered the PS3 version. The thing is is I don't have a PS3 yet, lol.

Feindflug

Interesting...the 360 version after the patch has less tearing than the PS3 version.

I've played for almost 2.5hrs but I'll start again to enjoy the game with no tearing and to play at Apocalyptic since normal was too easy - also to the friend that asked if there is a v-sync option a la Saints Row no there is not, if you get the patch the game is locked at 30fps.

sinnergy

hdn please give my thanks to your team at Vigil for coming through with the patch, it works splendid. The first 30 min is now very smooth. I am restarting my play through to maximize my enjoyment.

And thank you for keeping us in the loop.
I know of enough games that didn't get this treatment after release.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Jonsoncao said:
the comparison for those of you who havent decided which version to buy like myself

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51409153.html

360 before patch:
avg fps: 37.632 tearing frame percentage: 56.486% min-max: 18.0-58.0

360 after patch:
avg fps: 29.273 tearing frame percentage: 7.593% min-max: 20.5-31.5

PS3
avg fps: 29.273 tearing frame percentage: 13.922% min-max: 18.5-30.0
So 360 wins in the end.

Yay?

Chris R

Jonsoncao said:
the comparison for those of you who havent decided which version to buy like myself

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51409153.html

360 before patch:
avg fps: 37.632 tearing frame percentage: 56.486% min-max: 18.0-58.0

360 after patch:
avg fps: 29.273 tearing frame percentage: 7.593% min-max: 20.5-31.5

PS3
avg fps: 29.273 tearing frame percentage: 13.922% min-max: 18.5-30.0

Is the PS3 going to get a patch as well or was this for the 360 only?

Riptwo

Mrbob said:
Do we know yet what the code in the box is for?

If it's cool, I'm hoping that I can still purchase it without a code. My day one copy didn't come with a code! Was it available at all in Canadian copies?

spats

That japanese cover is rad-tastic. Makes me wanna print it out and replace the grey+piss yellow cover us euros got.

rhfb said:
Is the PS3 going to get a patch as well or was this for the 360 only?

it's 360 only. the ps3 version was v-synced i believe from the get-go and the 360 version wasn't and there was massive tearing on the 360 version. now they patched it and it's all gone.

gotta give kudos to vigil games for making their game run the same on both platforms.
awesome work you guys.

Spike

cjelly said:
So 360 wins in the end.

Yay?

Eh, they are so close it doesn't really matter. But kudos to Vigil, a new company, that with their first game managed to create a multiplatform title that performs the same on both platforms.

Riptwo said:
If it's cool, I'm hoping that I can still purchase it without a code. My day one copy didn't come with a code! Was it available at all in Canadian copies?

I asked this too and there was no response. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
don't know why everyone was complaining about the end-game fetch quest. in less than half an hour I've already got five pieces.

edit: make that six

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rez said:
don't know why everyone was complaining about the end-game fetch quest. in half an hour I've already got five pieces.

I think people just like to complain about fetch quests, regardless of implementation or time required.

Porkepik

Just finished the game, loved it, it has been a while since I I devoted myself to one game pnly, post patch the 360 version is great. I'm normaly not bothered by tearing but it really had a lot before. I was quite bothersome on my Projection screen (playing at 110 inches does not always have plusses lol). Even with the tearing I loved it.

Won't be replaying it tough, there are so many great games coming out at the moment,

Thanks Vigil games, Will be following you frm mow on

Rez said:
don't know why everyone was complaining about the end-game fetch quest. in less than half an hour I've already got five pieces.

edit: make that six
I don't get it either. I actually enjoyed going back to places and finding things I'd missed.

Chris R

kazuma_pt said:
it's 360 only. the ps3 version was v-synced i believe from the get-go and the 360 version wasn't and there was massive tearing on the 360 version. now they patched it and it's all gone.

gotta give kudos to vigil games for making their game run the same on both platforms.
awesome work you guys.
Bah, would have been nice if they went back and gave the PS3 version a little more love. Can't wait to eventually get a chance to play this though.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm a bit confused. I am trying to gather all the health and wrath shards. I just got my last health shard. Achievement unlocked. And I've been all over the entire world to find all of those and I've been using a guide. Well it turns out I have missed an entire Wrath core or 4 wrath shards. The 4 wrath shards seems pretty unlikely because I would have come across one of them during the running around I've been doing. Are you supposed to get a Wrath core in the last battle? I have everything I need to trigger the last battle (sword gathered, I've got the upgraded suit of armour etc...). I have every artifact too. But my wrath bar is one notch shorter than my health bar and I haven't unlocked the achievement for getting all the wrath pieces. So I'm assuming that I need one more core.

Where could I be missing an entire wrath core from? Any help is hugely appreciated. I'm exhausted hunting for this thing.

ZealousD

Truelize said:
Where could I be missing an entire wrath core from? Any help is hugely appreciated. I'm exhausted hunting for this thing.

Possibly Vulgrim. There's also two from the serpent holes.

Do you have the Fury Legendary enhancement?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ZealousD said:
Possibly Vulgrim. There's also two from the serpent holes.

Do you have the Fury Legendary enhancement?

I do have the Fury enhancement. I think I may have found what I'm missing. When you check the Champion Artifacts that you have gathered are there seven to find? I just noticed that my cursor sits in the middle of the circle of the artifact symbols and it looks like something could go there.

Am I missing a Champion Artifact?

ZealousD

Truelize said:
I do have the Fury enhancement. I think I may have found what I'm missing. When you check the Champion Artifacts that you have gathered are there seven to find? I just noticed that my cursor sits in the middle of the circle of the artifact symbols and it looks like something could go there.

Am I missing a Champion Artifact?

Yes, you are missing an artifact. The one in the very center can be found
in the Ashlands. Check the towers with the drills.
You should get an achievement when you get the final artifact.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ZealousD said:
Yes, you are missing an artifact. The one in the very center can be found
in the Ashlands. Check the towers with the drills.

If it's on the top then I have that one. hmmm I will go check.

So just to confirm. There are 7 Champion artifacts correct?

Overlord Artifact? I just read that on a different site

Thanks man.

Ok just got my last artifact and Spike's Offering but still no Wrath core. Here's hoping Vulgrim gives me something good for finding all the artifacts for him.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
WOW!!!!

Now that is how you do an end game cutscene. Can't wait to hear news on the sequel.

Such an awesome game. Good times. Good times.

KevinCow

Banned
Gah, this game can be really frustrating on Apocalyptic. Enemies that can take off multiple bars of health in one hit? Really? And then when I die, I come back with only three bars? Awesome! I don't know why you guys recommended people start out on this. I've already played through the game and know the enemy attack patterns and stuff,

I just beat the Stygian, and I don't even know if I'm going to bother continuing. I had far more fun on Normal, where I could actually experiment with the combat and have fun. Instead, I wind up just finding one thing that works and sticking with it. Like whenever I'm fighting a group of smaller enemies, I just stick with the scythe's two attack combo to hit everyone around me, move a bit so I don't do the scythe throw, do the scythe attacks again, move a bit, repeat. Is this fun? Not really. But it's effective, and if I try anything else, I risk getting hit and quickly losing a bar or two of health. On the other hand, Normal doesn't really have any sense of danger; I wish they'd had something between Normal and Apocalyptic.

While I'm on the subject of that scythe attack, I again have to mention how broken the combo counter is. I regularly get in the 30s and 40s just repeating that two stroke scythe attack over and over, whereas I'm lucky to break 20 when I'm actually trying to make use of the combat system and stringing different moves together. The second highest combo I got was doing the RB+Y Gauntlet attack in a room full of spiders. Got 80-something with that. And the highest combo I got was in one of the challenge rooms that started out full of zombies. I just kept on mashing B and dashing from zombie to zombie, and eventually got up to 90-something. The only reason I broke my combo is because I got bored of that and started actually trying to incorporate sword slashes into my combo.

Ristlager

Well I started playing on Apocalypse, and have had few problems so far. I hated the scythe, so I haven't even used that one yet. The sword and the gauntlet is sufficient enough. Had some problems with the first boss, but as someone said before, this game is never cheap on Apocalypse, so when you die, it is usually your own fault. And with a bit of practise, every boss, so far (just killed the spider boss), becomes manageable.

And a tip is to save manually before a boss, because if you loose, and load a game (instead of retry), you have the same amount of life as you did before the fight, you will loose the thinks you have collected, but that isn't usually a big loss.

The only thing I hate is the need to watch cutseens after I die in a bossfight, I know I can press a button, but somethimes the bosses needs an intro, which is none skippable. Just get me right into the fight.

Amir0x

Banned
Great news on the patch! I've already beaten the game and all, but if one day I return it's good to know the patch is there.

KevinCow said:
Gah, this game can be really frustrating on Apocalyptic. Enemies that can take off multiple bars of health in one hit? Really? And then when I die, I come back with only three bars? Awesome! I don't know why you guys recommended people start out on this. I've already played through the game and know the enemy attack patterns and stuff,

As always, people just talk from their personal skill level. I played Apocalyptic and was stunned at how easy it was, and had relatively few deaths the entire game. Enemies telegraph their attacks with huge windows of opportunity, and your combos are basically relegated to a few simple strings which you'll memorized in the course of a few tiny hours.

KevinCow said:
I just beat the Stygian, and I don't even know if I'm going to bother continuing. I had far more fun on Normal, where I could actually experiment with the combat and have fun. Instead, I wind up just finding one thing that works and sticking with it. Like whenever I'm fighting a group of smaller enemies, I just stick with the scythe's two attack combo to hit everyone around me, move a bit so I don't do the scythe throw, do the scythe attacks again, move a bit, repeat. Is this fun? Not really. But it's effective, and if I try anything else, I risk getting hit and quickly losing a bar or two of health. On the other hand, Normal doesn't really have any sense of danger; I wish they'd had something between Normal and Apocalyptic.

I almost never used the Scythe the entire game, except near the end when I tried to level it up. Again, it's all different skill levels. You ask me, Apocalyptic was too easy and had an uneven difficulty curve.

God of War's God Mode was so much harder, and Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta's most difficult modes just fucking annihilate the difficulty in this game

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Games like Darksiders and God of War just don't seem worth the effort to me on harder difficulties. In a game like Bayonetta you're constantly changing your play-style to accommodate for factors like your remaining health, the area of the map you're fighting on or how enemies are positioned around you, whereas in God of War or Darksiders you usually have to play using a very specific style repeatedly throughout the whole game. It's far more rigid; there's very little room for improvisation. It's not challenging so much as it is punishing.

It's like, yeah, I could do this, but why bother.

I'm much more tolerant of that style of punishing difficulty in shooters like Uncharted 2 or Modern Warfare 2, weirdly. I'm not quite sure why that is.

Canova

Banned
Truelize said:
I'm a bit confused. I am trying to gather all the health and wrath shards. I just got my last health shard. Achievement unlocked. And I've been all over the entire world to find all of those and I've been using a guide. Well it turns out I have missed an entire Wrath core or 4 wrath shards. The 4 wrath shards seems pretty unlikely because I would have come across one of them during the running around I've been doing. Are you supposed to get a Wrath core in the last battle? I have everything I need to trigger the last battle (sword gathered, I've got the upgraded suit of armour etc...). I have every artifact too. But my wrath bar is one notch shorter than my health bar and I haven't unlocked the achievement for getting all the wrath pieces. So I'm assuming that I need one more core.

Did you buy the one wrath core from Vulgrim? I think it costs like 10K

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
ZealousD said:
I think people just like to complain about fetch quests, regardless of implementation or time required.

We tried to make the "fetch" quest easy and at the end because players had Ruin (fast travel in open areas) and the Serpent Holes to jump around the world quickly to where the sword pieces were...plus, it gave players another chance to use some of the gear items they'd found again.

Can't please everyone!

Canova

Banned
hdn said:
We tried to make the "fetch" quest easy and at the end because players had Ruin (fast travel in open areas) and the Serpent Holes to jump around the world quickly to where the sword pieces were...plus, it gave players another chance to use some of the gear items they'd found again.

Can't please everyone!

hey hdn, you hear anything about the sale number yet?

Hey guys, did you know it actually is possible to dodging continuously?

If you dodge horizontally after a forward/backward dodge, then dodge horizontally again, etc. the time between War's dodges are significantly shortened.

I mean, it's still meh dodging but hey.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
canova said:
hey hdn, you hear anything about the sale number yet?

Last I heard, we'd gone over the 1/2 million mark (world wide - mostly NA numbers), which is cool. The signs are very positive, and the feedback from players has been great.

What will also help, is that we release the Japanese version in March too, plus, there's a couple of Darksiders related tit bits just around the corner, which may bring a little more interest to the title :D

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Fimbulvetr said:
Hey guys, did you know it actually is possible to dodging continuously?

If you dodge horizontally after a forward/backward dodge, then dodge horizontally again, etc. the time between War's dodges are significantly shortened.

I mean, it's still meh dodging but hey.

You found that :D Great. We wanted the dodge to cause the player to commit, but if they changed directions, they could continually link and move around fast.

-- Edit, the trick is, DODGE in a different direction, and you'll never stop. A very affective dodge, would be Left or Right, followed by Back or Forward.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of grabbing this on PS3 along with 360 Bayonetta this weekend. Quick question that doesn't actually affect anything - are they actually called "boomerang" and "hookshot" in game, or are they just called that in this thread because of the obvious Zelda copying? :lol

Canova

Banned
hdn said:
Last I heard, we'd gone over the 1/2 million mark (world wide - mostly NA numbers), which is cool. The signs are very positive, and the feedback from players has been great.

What will also help, is that we release the Japanese version in March too, plus, there's a couple of Darksiders related tit bits just around the corner, which may bring a little more interest to the title :D

ok what's this tidbit you're talking about? :D you CAN NOT mention it and leave us hanging

Monroeski said:
Thinking of grabbing this on PS3 along with 360 Bayonetta this weekend. Quick question that doesn't actually affect anything - are they actually called "boomerang" and "hookshot" in game, or are they just called that in this thread because of the obvious Zelda copying? :lol

they're called something else, Zelda nerds still think they're playing Zelda :D

Hey hdn!

First, let me congratulate you. It's rare to see a studios first game turn out to be something this epic. I find it absolutely amazing, and I am thrilled to see that you gave both consoles equal treatment regarding graphics and FPS. Second, let me say that you have given me faith in the name Vigil, and I really, REALLY look forward to seeing what you can do with the 40k MMO! :D :D :D

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Solstice said:
Hey hdn!

First, let me congratulate you. It's rare to see a studios first game turn out to be something this epic. I find it absolutely amazing, and I am thrilled to see that you gave both consoles equal treatment regarding graphics and FPS. Second, let me say that you have given me faith in the name Vigil, and I really, REALLY look forward to seeing what you can do with the 40k MMO! :D :D :D

Thank you, we really do appreciate the feedback from the public!

I've only seen a small percentage of what the MMO guys are working on, but what I have seen is bloody awesome, I'm sure if you're a 40K fan, you're going to flip out. The game is being built by people who love the franchise and have experience in developing and spending many months/years playing games of that genre. Our GM is an absolute 40k nut FFS!!! :D

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
canova said:
ok what's this tidbit you're talking about? :D you CAN NOT mention it and leave us hanging

sorry, I cannot say much more. It's not ground breaking stuff, but these updates will keep Darksiders in the headlines, maybe even giving it a little surge to those that are on the fence about it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
hdn said:
canova said:

sorry, I cannot say much more. It's not ground breaking stuff, but these updates will keep Darksiders in the headlines, maybe even giving it a little surge to those that are on the fence about it.
If I buy the PS3 version and then you announce something only for the 360 version, there will be hell to pay. :D

Also I have to say (without trying to sound like a suckup) Vigil also has the best developer 'splash screen' type animation when you pop the disc in.

Top Bottom