• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

edgefusion said:
Pretty impressive you beat the game on apocalyptic by just jumping.

thanks for realizing there is another system other then the ps3... i meant to say the blue button with the X on it.

i wasn't expecting great combat, but when alot of people say its great, i'm just countering.

i just play the content and comment on it. don't take it personally. i'll get around to finishing it but i can't possibly imagine i'm missing out on anything mind blowing or very redeeming.

god of war is slippery enough, dantes inferno is teflon, and darksiders is some space age material i'd like to get my hands on

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just a question regarding the PS360 for people that have played both versions. Aside from the screen tearing which is going to be patched which runs/looks the best? I got both consoles and looking to get this sometime soon, and it sounds pretty amazing so I want the best experience possible.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Reposted from last page:

I'm running around grabbing all the chests I missed before I got Fury's Embrace and I'm confused in Drowned Pass.

I have picked up all the pieces to the Armageddon sword and there is a chest showing up on my map pretty much right beside the anvil in drowned pass where you pick up the sword piece. Is this just a glitch or am I supposed to do something to make a chest appear here?

Anyone else have problems with an unresponsive jump button? Might be the battery was getting low or the controller itself but I can't count how many times I've died because jumping didn't register...grr platforming.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
zero margin said:
Anyone else have problems with an unresponsive jump button? Might be the battery was getting low or the controller itself but I can't count how many times I've died because jumping didn't register...grr platforming.

Yep, I've had issues where jumping too close to the edge didn't register as a jump at all. It could merely be a collision issue where jump is not a viable command once the character is declared as not on solid ground (which could be declared half a second before it's actually true)

So, I finished Darksiders on Saturday morning (with a final time of 20 hours), and I LOVED the ending, especially War's final line.

Truly fucking epic.

Other than the first couple hours, the game was at the right difficulty on Apocalyptic. Glad I played on that difficulty.

Beat it earlier tonight. Ending was awesome as fuck, if predictable. Outside of a section from the middle of the 2nd dungeon to the middle of the 3rd the game was just amazing.

it's just the constant gauntlet of enemies that spawn out of thin air in those impromptu walled off arenas are fucking annoying. Made more exasperating by those sword wielding specter enemies who you need to counter-block to fight back amidst the gaggles of other, regular enemies.
I only blocked when the game made me do that dumb counter kill part. Just turned on stoneskin and went to town.

EXGN

I really wish that they didn't make dodge the same button as block. I'll be holding the directional to do an attack, and try to block quickly only to dash into the attack. I'm nearing the end of the game, and there are points that that's killed me numerous times now.

The whole way they mapped the controls is kinda unintuitive. There are so many different button combinations, the game can become an exercise of Finger Twister of times.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game. The art style is what's really compelling me, there are a lot of little things I like in the environments, like the way the runic stones form in front of you as you walk through the snake tunnels. I just got the portal gun, and if I wasn't constantly being impressed by the environments, I woulda stopped long ago. The first like 6-7 hours of the game essentially boil down into a massive fetch quest, and the narrative isn't very motivational at all.

I kinda feel stupid now, 'cause in the Edge thread I was complaining about the low score. Still think 6 is low, but the game is starting to wear thin like 10 hours in or whatever.

oktarb

I personally liked this game. Its not a Game on the year entry or anything but its basically solid. Some people hate the art style but I really liked it. Its very stylized and filled with demon icons I expect.

I hope they sell enough to warrant the creation of another. Playing a whole game based off of each horseman sounds like a friggin blast. They could get very creative with the other 3 horsemen.

I wish them luck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Truelize said:
Reposted from last page:

I'm running around grabbing all the chests I missed before I got Fury's Embrace and I'm confused in Drowned Pass.

I have picked up all the pieces to the Armageddon sword and there is a chest showing up on my map pretty much right beside the anvil in drowned pass where you pick up the sword piece. Is this just a glitch or am I supposed to do something to make a chest appear here?

It's a glitch. Nothing is there. Move along.

jax (old)

Banned
bought this. I'm down to my last
sword shard
and the game is GRREAT. Nintendo has better give link a jump button or the new Zelda will be archaic in comparision. The portal puzzles are not possible without the ability to jump. I'm not 100% on the art/design (WAR is just a bit too chunky for my liking) and the art/design work on the universe... eh.. but what there is a great for a new IP.

lots to love here. Unlike batman AA.

Spike

InfiniteNine said:
Just a question regarding the PS360 for people that have played both versions. Aside from the screen tearing which is going to be patched which runs/looks the best? I got both consoles and looking to get this sometime soon, and it sounds pretty amazing so I want the best experience possible.

They are both identical.

Spike said:
I played the game the entire way through and never once had a problem except for the issue where you are exiting the game and the system beeps three times and resets itself. Still, there was a system update by Sony about a week ago, and since then I didn't even have that problem anymore.

I'm not doubting the issues you are having, just letting you know that maybe there are other issues in play. My PS3 is the 80GB that came with MGS4, so it has the software emulator for backwards compatibility. It has always been kept up to date with the newest firmware available.

It's not the hardware, I haven't had a single issue with my PS3. I've played Darksiders all day today and outside of those occurrences the game has run perfectly smoothly. What's likely is that what I experienced are simply difficult to reproduce bugs, but make no mistake, they were bugs.

I'm in the end game stretch, I've gathered every artifact, every enhancement, every legendary enhancement, all of the armor shards, all of the sword shards and am only missing a few wrath and life shards. Likely in those treasure chests I missed in the early shadow realm segments and can't seem to access now with the mask of shadows.

Overall. odd hiccups and the combat in the Black Throne aside, it's been a pretty enjoyable game.

zero margin said:

More times than I care to count, get to close to a ledge and the jump doesn't seem to register. Also if you're standing a bit too far back from a ledge when you attempt to swing with your hookshot you jump up, swing forward a bit and do this weird skip off the ledge that stops the hookshot swing. I've even careened off a ledge because of that.

Son of Godzilla said:
I only blocked when the game made me do that dumb counter kill part. Just turned on stoneskin and went to town.

I had level 3 stoneskin before I entered the Black Throne. I haven't even really used the other Wrath abilities because of how effective stoneskin is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the PS3 version seems to often run at sub-30 frame-rates, is the 360 version similar?

I just bet the third 'dungeon'. I think the game has finally hooked me. I really enjoyed the
Shadow of the Colossus-esque stuff, and the sticky bomb gun was fun to use, even though the section went on a little bit too long.

ZealousD

Rez said:
the PS3 version seems to often run at sub-30 frame-rates, is the 360 version similar?

360 has a better framerate, up to 60fps in some parts, but has lots of tearing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ZealousD said:
I should probably check back post-patch then, game looks great though and I can't pick it up for a week or two anyways so I can wait to see how the patch does.

i think the sticky bomb requires too many weird button combinations for it to be effective in fast battle. it's not very intuitive (i always hate pressing R3 or L3).

the bosses are a pretty good challenge on apocalyptic...

Those who are playing on the hardest difficulty how many times have you died? Just that I’ve died about 20 times and I’m just at the first dudgeon. Trying to judge how bad I’m at this game or it is just rather hard on this setting. :lol

Canova

Banned
Jax said:
bought this. I'm down to my last
sword shard
and the game is GRREAT. Nintendo has better give link a jump button or the new Zelda will be archaic in comparision. The portal puzzles are not possible without the ability to jump. I'm not 100% on the art/design (WAR is just a bit too chunky for my liking) and the art/design work on the universe... eh.. but what there is a great for a new IP.

lots to love here. Unlike batman AA.

yup I too think War needs to go on a diet in the sequel. It's no surprise that he can't jump very high

ZealousD said:

I don't ever remember seeing this much screen tearing in a game. I am still enjoying it, but it really does detract from the experience. I have heard inklings in this thread of a patch to fix it, hopefully it comes soon. I almost want to shelve the game till it hits.

Footos22

Those who are playing on the hardest difficulty how many times have you died? Just that I’ve died about 20 times and I’m just at the first dudgeon. Trying to judge how bad I’m at this game or it is just rather hard on this setting.

I Platinumed this on sat night, my save file just before the final boss was bang on 20 hours not a second over. I died 24 times On Apocalyptic and that was pretty much up until the end of the first dungeon. It gets seriously easy once you get a few more health bars. and upgrade the chaos eater sword.

I got my ride 100 miles on ruin trophy during the first section of the final boss :D

Not a hard game at all to be honest. Especially combat, basically just mash square a few times then smash em into air hack a few more times then hold square to windmill them back down to the ground then just use a finishing move or r1 + square, rinse, repeat,
win

MasterLeePhD said:
Those who are playing on the hardest difficulty how many times have you died? Just that I’ve died about 20 times and I’m just at the first dudgeon. Trying to judge how bad I’m at this game or it is just rather hard on this setting. :lol

A lot I won't lie but it's gotten easier with learning new abilities/weapons. I haven't had enough coffee yet but that weapon you get with the code that came with the first batch straight up owns shit.

Like Batman AA on hard this is pretty similar feeling.

MasterLeePhD said:

some bosses will take some time to figure out.. and they will react different on what you do and where you are.. but that feels so oldschool brilliant to figure out.. that i don't care. And you understand more of the battle system when you progress.

i think apocalyptic is the way to go.

Always-honest said:
some bosses will take some time to figure out.. and they will react different on what you do and where you are.. but that feels so oldschool brilliant to figure out.. that i don't care. And you understand more of the battle system when you progress.

i think apocalyptic is the way to go.
I died a lot at first in normal battles (bosses are pretty easy), but it gets much easier later on with more life cores.

Anyway, the game autosaves before every major battles. There's basically no death penalty.
Just spam your chaos form.

I have to admit I barely even used Chaos form in the game. There was the odd time it helped me out of a situation but I almost forgot about it for the most part.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My copy just got here thanks to the Newegg deal (thanks GAF for pointing that one out). You know, I'm really impressed. I started it on Apocalyptic without looking back.

1. I'm super nostalgic for Joe Mad art, as when I used to read American comics back in the 90's I was charmed by Joe Mad's work on X-Men, especially Age of Apocalypse.

2. So far, a few hours in, it feels as if they tried to just plain get all the gaming conventions right. There's nothing shocking or original, but the entire game just feels like video game chicken soup - it's comfort food, with the excellent soundtrack and Joe Mad's beefy but warm and colorful at tying it all together.

3. It makes me think what a waste it is that so few games go for the Zelda action-rpg model, because god damn it, it's a great model. Seeing it transplanted outside a Zelda game is eye-opening.

Overall, I would say at this point the game is seeming like one of the deep meat n' potatoes games of the sort that were the backbone of the PS2 era and that we haven't gotten a lot of this generation. The guys at Vigil are, so far, not seeming like pretentious arthouse wannabes trying to make the next edgy epic moviegame. I like this.

theMrCravens said:
I died a lot at first in normal battles (bosses are pretty easy), but it gets much easier later on with more life cores.

Anyway, the game autosaves before every major battles. There's basically no death penalty.
Just spam your chaos form.
i always forget about that.. i used it once..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Chaos form is basically a win button, even on Apocalyptic.
Hell, I think the second major boss went down without needing to repeat his pattern a second time! Bwahahahaha.

Marry it to a certain legendary slottable bonus that you get later in the game, and...
*shakes head*

kamspy

So on Jan. 7th when Vigil said the patch was an easy fix and coming soon....how long exactly did they mean by soon?

I'm on the last dungeon now. I guess I'll stop hoping.

FWIW, I bought the 360 version specifically because they said the tearing would be patched. I guess next time I'll go PS3 and stick Vigil with the higher replication fee.

Still, good game. Just shitty customer service.

kamspy said:
So on Jan. 7th when Vigil said the patch was an easy fix and coming soon....how long exactly did they mean by soon?
Well it's probably working it's way through Microsoft's digestive tract certification process, which can take upwards of weeks.

Mejilan said:
Chaos form is basically a win button, even on Apocalyptic.
Hell, I think the second major boss went down without needing to repeat his pattern a second time! Bwahahahaha.

Marry it to a certain legendary slottable bonus that you get later in the game, and...
*shakes head*
shut uuupp!!:. i don´t want to hear!!! i like figuring those fights out.

Neckbeard

Rez said:
yeah, that section was super-fun :)

Honestly, watching your change of emotions throughout this thread has inspired me to re-play the game and go for the platinum trophy. I'm glad you chose to "stick it out" 'til the end. Thank you for re-invigorating me :D

Canti

Just finished the game on Apocalyptic with 81% trophies. Seems all the story came at once at the end, would have preferred more of an even spread. A couple of frustrating sections aside I really enjoyed it. even though the abysmal armour made the endgame so much easier. I'll definitely will go back for the trophies I missed. A couple of quick questions:

1) Best way to level weapons and gain souls is against spiders in Iron Canopy I guess?

2) Is there any way to find out where specific treasures are I missed (eg. 2 remaining life stones) or is it a case of trawling every chest in every area?

GRRR There is a couple chests I missed because I thought this game would have me back track to them but it didn't! This is the first boss tower
Tiamat
I'm referring too. There was just simply no way I could figure out to get at them.

How long is this game? I've been playing this for hours and I don't even have the horse yet, there is a horse you get right? :lol

glaurung

Platinumed a few hours ago with the last trophies being the infamous Aerial Predator and the environmental kills one. Had to replay the angelic mount section some five or six times before I managed to get the required number of kills. Finally found that my accuracy went way up once I reduced aiming sensitivity three notches or so.

Great game, though the Abyssal Armor pretty much breaks the game difficulty-wise and even on Apocalyptic the second half of the game is pretty much a pushover.

If they will do DLC, I will definitely buy it. I hope that it makes enough sales to warrant a sequel. So far the best game this year.

Canti said:
Just finished the game on Apocalyptic with 81% trophies. Seems all the story came at once at the end, would have preferred more of an even spread. A couple of frustrating sections aside I really enjoyed it. even though the abysmal armour made the endgame so much easier. I'll definitely will go back for the trophies I missed. A couple of quick questions:

1) Best way to level weapons and gain souls is against spiders in Iron Canopy I guess?

2) Is there any way to find out where specific treasures are I missed (eg. 2 remaining life stones) or is it a case of trawling every chest in every area?
Right after you fight the crystal spider miniboss in the Iron Canopy, you can pick up a legendary weapon enhancement that gives a massive experience boost. I used that and fought for a few hours in the spider respawn room to get all the weapons to maximum level.

Another legendary enhancement is the one that will display all unopened chests on all maps. I haven't found it myself yet.

Yackie

This game is so fun! I might be enjoying it so much because I just finished playing through Assassins Creed 2, and that game felt like such a chore to finish. Talk about overrated....but I digress. I played this game until 2am last night, and hadn't even realized how many hours had passed, I was just having a good time. Right now I'm in the sand/worm place and just got my horse.

My only problems with the game so far have been some wonky jumping mechanics. Sometimes it wont register that I pressed the jump button and as a result I have fallen off cliffs and died many times, but no big deal. Also, I've noticed a lot of screen tearing. This has been the first game for me where its been glaringly noticeable. It doesn't really bother me though.

ZealousD

Vigil just posted on their Facebook page that the 360 screen tearing patch is coming this Wednesday. 2AM PST.

Yackie said:
My only problems with the game so far have been some wonky jumping mechanics. Sometimes it wont register that I pressed the jump button and as a result I have fallen off cliffs and died many times, but no big deal.
I noticed this too. It seems to happen when you wait until the last minute to jump, like you would in most games. If you jump a little before you get to the edge it seems to work better.

ZealousD said:
Vigil just posted on their Facebook page that the 360 screen tearing patch is coming this Wednesday. 2AM PST.
Nice. Did they tell us what the secret code from the box does too?

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Hi all,

it's took a little longer than expected, but the patch for the screen tearing problem will be released on Wednesday (2am pst). The patch has been done for a little while, but it's had to go through testing before it was released to the public!

http://ow.ly/10n8Z

Edit -- Just noticed ZEALOUS already beat me to the punch *shakes head*

Feindflug

hdn said:
Hi all,

it's took a little longer than expected, but the patch for the screen tearing problem will be released on Wednesday (2am pst). The patch has been done for a little while, but it's had to go through testing before it was released to the public!

Finally! Thanks for the great news! :D

Canova

Banned
Always-honest said:
wow.. this game keeps delivering... it's as big as a surprise as the batman game.. though far less original, it's really damn good and addictive

There was hype and big marketing push for Batman. People knew about it 1-2 years in advanced,

Darksiders truly came out of nowhere and delivered

forrest

formerly nacire
Awesome news hdn, thanks! So since the patch has been done you guys have been working on the pc version right? :D

hdn said:
Hi all,

Top Bottom