• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Help!

That huge desert, there is a "lava wall" for which you need one of those fireballs that you can lit using torches, where can I get that fireball from? I can't seem to find one nest that has those, not counting the live one by the drill, I need one I can light up.

Ze_Pershing said:
Help!

That huge desert, there is a "lava wall" for which you need one of those fireballs that you can lit using torches, where can I get that fireball from? I can't seem to find one nest that has those, not counting the live one by the drill, I need one I can light up.

Don't worry about that for now. You'll get something later on in the game where you can eventually access this part. Just bookmark it in your head and come back whe the time's right.

Just finished this game two days ago, and after letting it sink in, the only thing I didn't like about the game was the item management. I never had to be constantly switching back and forth between items all the time, but there weren't enough items that simply letting me choose from a quick menu or using the bumpers wouldn't have been troublesome. I always felt like I just ended up using my sword, because I needed certain items for a puzzle that I just completed, and it wasn't worth it to switch them out.

That, and wtf was the point of the horn you get at the beginning of the game? Do you use it for something aside from the story elements it triggers, or was I really only supposed to use it like...three time the whole game?

Beaulieu

cann3dheat said:
That, and wtf was the point of the horn you get at the beginning of the game? Do you use it for something aside from the story elements it triggers, or was I really only supposed to use it like...three time the whole game?

It also knock down ennemies

cann3dheat said:
Just finished this game two days ago, and after letting it sink in, the only thing I didn't like about the game was the item management. I never had to be constantly switching back and forth between items all the time, but there weren't enough items that simply letting me choose from a quick menu or using the bumpers wouldn't have been troublesome. I always felt like I just ended up using my sword, because I needed certain items for a puzzle that I just completed, and it wasn't worth it to switch them out.

Yeah I only used it when you had to. I just didn't use it for combat.

orion434

Katana_Strikes said:
Yeah I only used it when you had to. I just didn't use it for combat.

The Horn blew away weak enemies... it was totally useless, even from the beginning. I was always waiting for a Tripod to arrive and fire it's Death-Ray.

KevinCow

Banned
cann3dheat said:

The horn knocks enemies back. It can be kinda useful in a couple of parts... but yeah, overall not extremely useful.

Also agree with the annoyance of having to constantly pause to switch out weapons. They could have easily cut the six down to three.

- Remove the horn, and have Vulgrim give you some other artifact that activates statues by just walking up to them and pressing B.

- Make the Voidwalker an upgrade for the regular gun, and make the regular gun far more powerful in the process. This would have the side effect of actually making the gun useful.

- Map the mask to the the left stick click, which isn't used for anything. Click to turn it on, click again to turn it off.

So you're left with the gun, the crossblade, and the chain, which fit perfectly on the three item slots.

cann3dheat said:
I beat the game using only the horn

that's not true

Ristlager

Just finishet Darksiders (on Hard), and I got to say it was a very good game. And while I'm installing Bayonetta to my PS3 HD, I thought I could write my opinion about the game.

The Bad things

After reading the early impressions I thought, for some reason, that there was a much brighter/colourful game, and while I enjoyed the setting, I am a bit tired of grey and a general dark theme. I am still longing for a setting ala Zelda and other early RPGs.

And my biggest con. If you are making a hard opponent, or a big fight. NEVER MAKE ME WATCH CUTSCENES OR WALK A COUPLE OF MINUTES TO GET TO THE FIGTH IF I DIE. This happends far to often and I hope I never see it again in the sequel.

The map layout, to many corridors and not enough wide spaces with interesting stuff to do.

The controll is overly complacated, to do some of the regular moves, you have to press to many buttons.

The Good things

Very solid game, good characters, story and gameplay. Cutscenes are great and there is just the right amout of them.

The "dungeons" are very good, maybe a bit too big, I'd like there to be a bigger share of offdungeon stuff in the next game.

I really like War, I like the design of him and the other characters.

(Bayonetta is installed :)

Good weapons, but there should be combos involving weaponswithcing. Since the sword is the primary weapon, there is little reason to use the others.

Overall a solid 8/10

I just beat
the Stygian
, and I'm enjoying the game so far.
Ruin
is completely overpowered at this point (I don't know if that ever changes), but he's awesome.

The whole
Ashlands
sequence didn't really impress me though. Too much fighting, not enough adventuring.

Ristlager said:
And my biggest con. If you are making a hard opponent, or a big fight. NEVER MAKE ME WATCH CUTSCENES OR WALK A COUPLE OF MINUTES TO GET TO THE FIGTH IF I DIE. This happends far to often and I hope I never see it again in the sequel.

this.. don't EVER do that in a game again..PLEASE!! i don't want to walk up to a bossfight AGAIN... and i don't have to watch a cutscene again. Not EVEN a little bit..

and IF you let me walk to the door again.. make sure the green fucking treasure is there toooooooooooooo.

i'm at the final bossfight. saving it for tomorrow.

great game. sequel is welcomed. especially with some improvements that will make it even better.

still don't have the fullarmour by the way.. must have missed something..

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
cjelly said:
Congrats on the sequel news, HDN!

(Just saw it on Keighley's Twitter that THQ announced a sequel in their financials.)

Yes, it is awesome news, and it does help that people and msg boards like this are keeping the WoM going on the interwebs, thus helping spread the buzz. Yes, some people don't like it, but sometimes hearing why people don't like a game is just as useful as finding out what people did like about it.

My main thing is I hope people have fun with it first, but also feel satisfied shelling out the hard earned dosh too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
More than looking forward to the sequel.
This one stumbled here and there, but had some great ideas that will only improve with further exploration and development.
Congratulations. :)

ChackanKun said:
So am I the only one that see Soul Reaver all over Darksiders? :D

Which is a great thing!

You're not, as I myself saw it more of a Legacy of Kain analog than Zelda at first.
Btw, just picked up my copy finally so can't wait to play it this weekend.

Canova

Banned
hdn said:
Yes, it is awesome news, and it does help that people and msg boards like this are keeping the WoM going on the interwebs, thus helping spread the buzz. Yes, some people don't like it, but sometimes hearing why people don't like a game is just as useful as finding out what people did like about it.

My main thing is I hope people have fun with it first, but also feel satisfied shelling out the hard earned dosh too.

hey hdn, don't forget to include battle arena in the sequel (where we can maul hundreds of hundreds of monsters after we max out our weapons, stats, etc, throw in some bosses too in the arena) and costumes! we want costumes, lots of them

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm close to finishing this and it's an ok game.

Most puzzles are pretentious time-wasting devices devoid of any logical meaning while a few are pretty cool (
Portal
). This is Zelda-like only on paper. Having to move blocks around to reach ledges which otherwise are just a tiny bit out of reach kinda ruins the feeling of controlling a Horseman. Especially when you see him jumping high and performing crazy moves in cutscenes. Not sure if it was me just sucking, but I died quite a few times while attempting to jump from one platform to another, input apparently not being registered.

Difficulty balance is all over the place (Apocalyptic began hard, quickly got fair and now is super easy but with some super hard boss fights), camera needs babysitting during fight and collision detection is questionable (especially when trying to evade bosses' area attacks). Also, the goods seller should have been accessible before every boss fight or at least it should be possible to travel the world freely and come back when ready. Occurred to me a couple of times to not be ready and therefore having to work twice as hard to beat the thing. Very frustrating. Perhaps it's not an issue on Normal difficulty, but on Apocalyptic it was, sometimes.

Combat is fine. It's spectacular at times, but controls are slightly unintuitive and at times inaccurate (ie. want to block but end up dashing, and viceversa). Especially with small enemies, visual cues are sometimes hard to spot due to how close the camera is to the action, making hard to block and counter. It's also getting boring. I have yet to find reasons to use primary weapons other than the sword in combat. Not to mention try different combos. Good enemy mix up tho.

Technically is a mess. In open areas frame rate is constantly around the 20fps mark when panning camera around despite tearing like crazy. You don't notice this too much in the first couple of hours but when you get to some very big areas it gets really ugly. Even the map screen tears when you move the map around! Some brief pauses occur from time to time when switching to a different attack or killing an enemy. Add serious aliasing issues to this and you get one of the worst performing high profile games engines of the generation. Even worse than inFamous.

Shooting sections
suffer the most from this and are a chore to play. Especially the one occurring in the
desert area
which, incidentally, is artistically ugly. These sections are badly designed to begin with, with easy to dispatch enemies coming from the front. Devs were clearly aware of this and they tried to fix it by making some enemies magically appear behind or above you from time to time. It hardly worked cos it just feels unfair.

Yet, overall, game shows effort by devs and considering they are new and all, this being their first game, a sequel might very well turn out as something special. Looking forward to it.

Sydle

Really loving this game. Just got the Armageddon Sword and the Abysmal Armor (looks awesome). Found two of the legendary enhancements, one of which shows all chests, so I'm going to work back through each area to collect everything. Also going to work on maxing out the scythe and gauntlet.

Oh, and looking forward to using the code. :D

Phenomic

My copy did not come with a card containing a code which kind of upsets me since I bought this day one. Who did you guys buy it from that the copies contained special codes?

edit.. Guess they were just in random boxes I always lack necessary luck for these kinds of things.

-viper-

Banned
I managed to get the game yesterday and I think it's pretty good although I'd like to know what is it about the game which draws the Zelda comparisons? I have never played Zelda but I'm curious.

edgefusion

No code here either. I hope this wasn't something given out just randomly and if it was I hope it's for something shitty like a XMB theme or something...

-viper-

Banned
edgefusion said:
No code here either. I hope this wasn't something given out just randomly and if it was I hope it's for something shitty like a XMB theme or something...
Checked my copy and I too have no code.

aparisi2274

Supposedly the code was inserted into the original run of the game, I got one, so I can't wait to see what it is.

Also, I beat the game last night and I really enjoyed it. My only complaint has to be with the end boss.
the destroyer/abaddon was pretty much a joke. I didn't even use a life esence on the guy.

I would suggest that everyone get the abyssal armor as it really helps with some enemies later on in the game.

I also really enjoyed
the last scene of the ending cinema, where War tells Uriel that he is not going at it alone, and you see the 3 other horsemen riding into join him...Such an awesome scene

Can't wait for the sequel.

-viper- said:
I managed to get the game yesterday and I think it's pretty good although I'd like to know what is it about the game which draws the Zelda comparisons? I have never played Zelda but I'm curious.
It has a several items that behave the same way as classic Zelda items. I don't think it is a whole lot like Zelda other than that. Darksiders has no towns, no where near as many NPC interactions, a strong focus on combat, and very few puzzles (especially of any difficulty). It seems much more like its own game than a Zelda clone. Except the items.

Edit: I guess it also follows the same "overworld/dungeon/boss and repeat" sequence as Zelda, but Darksiders seems more linear to me. Though Zelda has gotten pretty linear nowadays too.

Carlisle

Just finished on normal. It was a real treat to play. I was never planning to get this, it was so far below my radar. But then I saw "more like Zelda than God of War" and I said hmmm... then one of my buddies started raving about it. So I got it on an impulse one day and had a blast whole way through it. Extremely pleasantly surprised. Such a well-done, well-thought-out, and polished game.

Definitely looking forward to the sequel!

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The code better be something more then a skin.
My general negativity and cynicism leads me to believe a good skin is probably better than what we're going to get.
Surprise me Vigil

Devs must have learned a lot from making this game. It's a very good game that has a lot of small issues that the devs are probably fully aware of.

i wouldn't be surprised if the next game takes care of all these little issues (TTP described most of them pretty much imo) and goes way beyond this game. They are a talented bunch.

i also would be interested in two player co-op mode of the next darksiders game... :)

Sydle

Just beat it-- I was waiting until I found all the armor, vessels, standard enhancements, and legendary enhancements.

I have to dock it for the framerate troubles and small glitches here and there, but otherwise it was an incredible experience. Loved the ending. Definitely going to keep it to go through it again before the sequel hits.

Day one for Darksiders 2.

Phenomic said:
My copy did not come with a card containing a code which kind of upsets me since I bought this day one. Who did you guys buy it from that the copies contained special codes?

edit.. Guess they were just in random boxes I always lack necessary luck for these kinds of things.

Picked mine up at Fry's on the official release date.

My only wish for the sequel is for them to focus more on the puzzle aspect of the game.
We got more than enough GoW/DMC clones out there.

Seriously, we don't have any western Zelda-type games out here. They could hit big with this one, but they need to put everything on creating original puzzles and decent bosses.

i loved this game. probably one of my favorite single player games in years. some (mostly small) things i hope are addressed in the sequel:

there's no excuse for a game in 2010 to not remember your options settings. fix it.

'continue' should load the latest save, be it a manual save or auto save. it's silly the way it is now.

have to agree with TTP that technically it's kind of a mess. the 360 patch to reduce tearing was a welcome addition, but hopefully the sequel can add some AA and hold a steady 30fps at least.

TTP said:
Not sure if it was me just sucking, but I died quite a few times while attempting to jump from one platform to another, input apparently not being registered..
i experienced this many times, almost always because i was right at the edge of a platform when jumping. seems like the platform edges need to be tweaked to allow for jumping at the very end of them.

did i miss an option to turn off the tooltips on the HUD? kind of dumb to have to stare at "LB+RT" under your chaos meter all game long.

some sort of new game+ might be nice, for those that want to tackle the hardest difficulty after beating the game. right now there's not a lot of replay with just carrying over the armor.

i'm pumped for the sequel, and i hope it's more bosses, more dungeons, etc. no need to go and add multiplayer or change it up too much.

-viper-

Banned
How long does it take to complete the game? I've just beaten the first main boss. It took me about 4 hours to get there :\

And there is no New Game+ ? Nothing carries over? Well that sucks.

My only issue with this game is that it seems like its taking forever to complete. And if I miss any of the collectible items then I'm shafted - my health remains low and the game remains tough with the tougher enemies around. I'm not a fan of games which take 30 hours to complete to be honest.

Still, Darksiders is a fairly fun game and will probably be one of the only '30 hour games' that I'll end up completing.

Top Bottom