• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

I seem to be stuck in Twilight Cathedral....

I jumped down onto an Elevator, and planted the sword in the ground where the Angel statue was. A voice said something "Who dares disturb me". The Elevator began to rise, and suddenly I had no sword, yet I could still attack as if I was wielding one.

I faced off several mobs, including 2 guys that seem to do ice damage and are covered in layers of armour, then the lift stopped on the floor I jumped from. I saved, re-loaded cause I was wondering why I had no sword, and suddenly my sword is back in my hands, but I have nfi where to go. I am wondering if the elevator ride glitched somehow?

KevinCow

Banned
Samurai Penguin said:
I seem to be stuck in Twilight Cathedral....

I jumped down onto an Elevator, and planted the sword in the ground where the Angel statue was. A voice said something "Who dares disturb me". The Elevator began to rise, and suddenly I had no sword, yet I could still attack as if I was wielding one.

I faced off several mobs, including 2 guys that seem to do ice damage and are covered in layers of armour, then the lift stopped on the floor I jumped from. I saved, re-loaded cause I was wondering why I had no sword, and suddenly my sword is back in my hands, but I have nfi where to go. I am wondering if the elevator ride glitched somehow?

Ouch, sounds like it glitched.

What sword do you have? The Chaoseater, or one of the swords that act like keys? If it's one of the key swords, you're supposed to bring it back to the room with three statues. If not, and the key sword is gone... you might be screwed. Sorry.

I just have the Chaoseater.

I think I saved before the Elevator part. I'll check and hope I did save. I know there is a save @30 minutes before that part, so if I have to, I'll just tart from that one and see if it works.

IonicSnake said:
A question to the ones with the PS3 version.

Whenever I quit the game to return to the XMB my PS3 restart itself, does this happen to anyone else?

I'm experiencing this, I thought it was my system also, goggled to see others are having this hiccup also, I thought maybe I was turning off the system while the HDD was loading but that's not that case.

forrest

formerly nacire
Mrbob said:
To try to keep spoiler free for others, I just finished the spider area. Am I approaching end game? Just want to make sure I can run back and find all the treasures I need before finishing this game!

Yes I just found this and I'm a bit mad I spent all those souls on my sword when I could have stuck it into other things instead. :lol Especially since I'm reading this game doesn't have any sort of newgame+ option.

On my apocalyptic run I'll make sure to distribute my soul upgrades differently.

There is a specific point late in the game in which you are told that if you go forward you cannot go back. This would be the point to finish out any untied ends you have left to complete.

Dude Abides

Banned
Shit. I have only 7 pieces of Abyssal Armor at a point where I should have 8, having just finished Iron Canopy. Is there any way to figure out which one I missed without going back through every dungeon so far?

Canova

Banned
ChackanKun said:
Does this game have New game +? Can I start a new game with all the stuff I collected after finishing it?

no new game plus. The only item carried over to the next game is the ultimate armor

IonicSnake said:

Whenever I quit the game to return to the XMB my PS3 restart itself, does this happen to anyone else?

Same here and I hate it because when I use PlayTV simultaneously to record something on TV while I play Darksiders, the reset kills the recording... >:eek:(

farnham

Banned
so i played this today for the first time

and as soon as the game gets playable half of the screen is a blue screen.. i did the newest x360 update.. wtf is this shit

dreamer3kx said:
I'm experiencing this, I thought it was my system also, goggled to see others are having this hiccup also, I thought maybe I was turning off the system while the HDD was loading but that's not that case.
yup, same here. it's obviously a Darksiders thingy

V_Ben

Banned
Truelize said:
Did you like the end? I loved the endgame cutscene. I'm pumped for a sequel now.

the final cut-scene was so epic :) it sets everything up perfectly for a sequel. which I'm now super pumped about. :D

i rented it by the way. got it on Wednesday, and finished it on Saturday. i was playing on apocalyptic, which kind of sucked the fun out of it at times. but apart from that, i loved pretty much every minute of it. and the fetch quest was surprisingly tolerable. i kind of liked going round the world again with all of my new powers.

KePoW

Banned
Truelize said:
Did you like the end? I loved the endgame cutscene. I'm pumped for a sequel now.

Yep, the last 5 seconds of the ending kicks ass, that was perfect.

Totally worth a buy and looking forward to the sequel.

mujun

I'm about half way through this at the moment. Not really enjoying it that much. Add to that it's quite glitchy and has a crappy save system (or another glitch).

Nice production and visual design though. Story is cool and well written and the voice acting is great.

Spike

IonicSnake said:

I also had this problem. There was a system update released a week or two ago, and since then the problem seemed to go away.

Just wanted to poop into this thread and say a few words. Rented this game on Friday and absolutely loving it.

Im probably the only one, but i love the combat and i especially love fighting all of the mini bosses i have been encountering throughout my playthrough.

Great game so far!

Double D

xDangerboy said:
Just wanted to poop into this thread and say a few words. Rented this game on Friday and absolutely loving it.

Im probably the only one, but i love the combat and i especially love fighting all of the mini bosses i have been encountering throughout my playthrough.

Great game so far!

I'll poop along side you. Also rented on Friday and loving it just the same. After being disappointed by Twilight Princess, this is really scratching an itch I've had for a while.

Mrbob

Dude Abides said:
Shit. I have only 7 pieces of Abyssal Armor at a point where I should have 8, having just finished Iron Canopy. Is there any way to figure out which one I missed without going back through every dungeon so far?

guides.ign.com

Check out darksiders guide, it has a list where all 10 are. I had 9 and used the guide to find the last one. It was in the Hollows in a crazy high point I never would have thought of looking. :lol

The armor is sweet. The fully decked out sword is awesome too. I finished the game last night, really good game. The ending got me excited for a potential sequel too. I just hope we don't have to go through the same quest of losing powers and getting them back again. Or one of the 4 horsemen getting lost from the group and losing their powers. I want all 4 in the game, fully decked out at full strength kicking ass. Might be good for some 4 player co op action as well.

My only issue is that I don't get to use a fully decked out War long enough. The game ends too soon after getting all the powers back. Which in terms of the story makes sense, but it is disappointing there is no newgame+ option. I don't want to start over right now and find everything again.

Mrbob said:
My only issue is that I don't get to use a fully decked out War long enough. The game ends too soon after getting all the powers back. Which in terms of the story makes sense, but it is disappointing there is no newgame+ option. I don't want to start over right now and find everything again.
Yeah me too. This game needs a new game +.

Suuuper close to finishing this. I am looking for the sword pieces. I just warped to the first level and Im running through every area in order to find all the stuff i need.

This game lasted me pretty much a full month of gameplay, defintely worth the 60 bucks. I kind of dont want to put it up on goozex, especially with such a badass cover, but there is not reason really to hold onto it. I am keeping my code for sure!!!!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just started the game (PS3 version) and not liking it so far.

Controls/combos feel overly complicated and un-intuitive to the point I'm actually scared to unlock new moves that might add to this unecessary complexity. I know it's just a couple of buttons but it relies too much on shoulder buttons IMO. R1 to evade, L2 to lock on seem like an odd choice. Will probably get used to it but for now it just feels odd.

Hate how evasion range appears to be limited when locked on to an enemy, forcing me to unlock, evade, lock on again every time.

Aliasing is inFamous level (terrible) and frame rate is inconsistent. Also drops every time (every fucking time) I slam an enemy to death and souls are released. Dante's Inferno IQ is better and runs at 60fps. Perhaps it's the scale, but still. Of course GOWIII demo shits on both despite being clunky as well.

And the game just crashed on me after a cutscene (talked to the second golem like dude which apparently gave me some power to see in shadows of whatever).

/rant

TTP said:

Controls/combos feel overly complicated and un-intuitive to the point I'm actually scared to unlock new moves that might add to this unecessary complexity. I know it's just a couple of buttons but it relies too much on shoulder buttons IMO. R1 to evade, L2 to lock on seem like an odd choice. Will probably get used to it but for now it just feels odd.

Hate how evasion range appears to be limited when locked on to an enemy, forcing me to unlock, evade, lock on again every time.

Aliasing is inFamous level (terrible) and frame rate is inconsistent. Also drops every time (every fucking time) I slam an enemy to death and souls are released. Dante's Inferno IQ is better and runs at 60fps. Perhaps it's the scale, but still. Of course GOWIII demo shits on both despite being clunky as well.

And the game just crashed on me after a cutscene (talked to the second golem like dude which apparently gave me some power to see in shadows of whatever).

/rant

yep, but you'll start to like it later on i think.

glaurung

I thought that Darksiders' combo system borrowed a whole lot from Ninja Gaiden and I never had any trouble with it.

Considering the sword is your primary weapon, I found that the timed square presses that unleash the upradeable circular attacks (up to four slashes with increasing damage) are the most useful and fun, since they also hit stuff behind you.

Other than that, the R1+square baseball bat was also very powerful, albeit slow.

TTP said:

/rant

I felt the same about the controls at first but got used to them after awhile also didn't like the game at first but it then grew on me, Im almost done with the game and give it a good 8.5.

Looks like the initial word on Darksiders is that it didn't sell so well it's first month. I for one bought the game and enjoyed it. I hope we'll see a sequel.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27060/Analyst_Darksiders_A_Disappointment_For_THQ.php

Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald believes THQ "spent fairly heavily" on marketing for the title -- without much result, he adds.

"Darksiders didn't perform up to THQ's expectations, likely selling less than 1 million units despite heavy marketing dollars, 2-3 years of development costs, and was also subject to discounting just 2 weeks after its release," Greenwald suggests.

JdFoX187

Banned
"Less than a million" can mean a lot of things. And we don't know how the legs on Darksiders will be either. I can't imagine the next game taking near the amount of time, or resources, that it took for the first one. A quick and easy sequel shouldn't be out of the question for THQ, which is looking for a surefire hit almost anywhere.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TTP said:

/rant
yeah, you're having the same experience I had. if you stick with it, you'll probably come to appreciate it a bit more, but don't expect miracles.

it's a, at times, messy first effort, but there's moments of greatness throughout it. You just have to stick through the boring presentation, cliche story and awful controls to find them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JdFoX187 said:
"Less than a million" can mean a lot of things. And we don't know how the legs on Darksiders will be either. I can't imagine the next game taking near the amount of time, or resources, that it took for the first one. A quick and easy sequel shouldn't be out of the question for THQ, which is looking for a surefire hit almost anywhere.

I think the number being passed around was over
[REDACTED]
. I think that's pretty good myself. I wasn't sure anybody expected it to be a million+ seller.

Edit: Whoops. Numbers I got were based off the official site, which were linked from another site... which came from that site, the one that shall not be named.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rez said:
yeah, you're having the same experience I had. if you stick with it, you'll probably come to appreciate it a bit more, but don't expect miracles.

it's a, at times, messy first effort, but there's moments of greatness throughout it. You just have to stick through the boring presentation, cliche story and awful controls to find them.

Indeed. I'm getting there. At times it even feels like ZOE2 (dash = zero shift). But man, that
flying section before the cathedral
was probably the worst I have ever played. Horrible controls, kinda reminiscent of R&C: TOD
space sections
. I seriously couldn't wait to be done with it.

I'm now at the
Tiamat
boss and she's kicking my ass.
I'm playing on Apocalyptic difficulty.

Ramirez

I'm having 0 issues with the controls, and enjoying it overall. Not sure why anyone would choose the hardest difficulty for a first play through, seems like you're just looking for frustration.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ramirez said:
I'm having 0 issues with the controls, and enjoying it overall. Not sure why anyone would choose the hardest difficulty for a first play through, seems like you're just looking for frustration.

It's honestly not that much harder at all. It's only difficult until you get a few more health containers and your Chaos ability. All you need to do is get comfortable with the dash move. It took me a long time to realize you can never dash in the same direction twice. So I would dash left and then try to go left again and just sit there and get hit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ramirez said:

As Truelize said, it can be frustrating at the beginning, but it's not that hard after you evolve a bit.

I'm not sure I'm going to play this a second time, so I decided to go for the hardest difficulty right away. Besides, that's what I usually choose these days whenever I get the option (ie when the hardest difficulty is actually available without having to complete the game once). I love the increased feeling of accomplishment you get and also the deeper knowledge of the game. I think I'm missing something when playing games on easier settings.

Just finished, give it a 8.9, bumped my score a bit after I finished the game. I had a hard time finding
Azriel in the end
because the navigation pointer wasn't showing up (bug?), I couldn't remember how to get there, took me 30 minutes to find, very good game.

Hey guys ive been trying to collect all the pieces of the
abyssal armor
is there any that are missable that cant be collected after a certain point? Also if i do manage to collect it all it goes to a new game in full affect or just a skin?

Cheers

KevinCow

Banned
DualShadow said:
Hey guys ive been trying to collect all the pieces of the
abyssal armor
is there any that are missable that cant be collected after a certain point? Also if i do manage to collect it all it goes to a new game in full affect or just a skin?

Cheers

Nothing can be missed. You can go back to collect anything.

And it's not just a skin. It makes War take significantly less damage.

TTP said:
As Truelize said, it can be frustrating at the beginning, but it's not that hard after you evolve a bit.

I'm not sure I'm going to play this a second time, so I decided to go for the hardest difficulty right away. Besides, that's what I usually choose these days whenever I get the option (ie when the hardest difficulty is actually available without having to complete the game once). I love the increased feeling of accomplishment you get and also the deeper knowledge of the game. I think I'm missing something when playing games on easier settings.
agreed. it makes the game experience more intense. and with this game i feel it's really the right choice. as it was with uncharted and modern warefare 2. In some games it can be tooo hard though..

Top Bottom