• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

-viper- said:
How long does it take to complete the game? I've just beaten the first main boss. It took me about 4 hours to get there :\

And there is no New Game+ ? Nothing carries over? Well that sucks.

My only issue with this game is that it seems like its taking forever to complete. And if I miss any of the collectible items then I'm shafted - my health remains low and the game remains tough with the tougher enemies around. I'm not a fan of games which take 30 hours to complete to be honest.

Still, Darksiders is a fairly fun game and will probably be one of the only '30 hour games' that I'll end up completing.

Darksiders isn't even close to 30 hours. It took me around 16 hours to finish the game on normal and collect all health, shards, and armor pieces.

And it does suck that there's no newgame+. By the time you get your upgraded armor and sword, you only have the final boss to defeat.

-viper-

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Darksiders isn't even close to 30 hours. It took me around 16 hours to finish the game on normal and collect all health, shards, and armor pieces.

And it does suck that there's no newgame+. By the time you get your upgraded armor and sword, you only have the final boss to defeat.
How did you manage to collect everything and complete it in 16 hours? At times this game feels like such a chore!

-viper- said:
How did you manage to collect everything and complete it in 16 hours? At times this game feels like such a chore!

The games pretty straightforward. It moves you to each of the 5 dungeons quickly and the game ends shortly after the 5th. And I collected about 80% of everything the first time through. After I beat the final boss, I just used a guide to grab the couple of shards I missed.

Beat the game last night, can't wait for a squeal!

I pre-ordered from gamestop and never received a code. Not sure why I still shop there...

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

you did all that within 16 hours on apocalyptic?.. so basicly platinumed the game in 16 hours?
that seems fast to me.. without a treasure- / boss guide or anything..

i would have like a newgame+ to. i found the last peice of armour just before the last fight.... so that was rather useless..

Always-honest said:
you did all that within 16 hours on apocalyptic?.. so basicly platinumed the game in 16 hours?
that seems fast to me.. without a treasure- / boss guide or anything..
I clocked 15 for 1000/1000 on the 360.
So it's far from impossible.

Only thing I checked online was a grinding spot.
Treasures were easy to find with that legendary trinket.

theMrCravens said:

a what?

edit: oh and i'm sure it's possible. and anybody should play the game as they please.
i couldn't have done it in that time though.

Sydle

theMrCravens said:

That isn't available until
The Black Throne
(i.e. near the end).

Where did you grind?

Canova

Banned
theMrCravens said:

mm... I don't know bout that, one of the achievements is to gain all the moves for all the weapons which are very expensive and require you to farm some spider souls and that take hours

Sydle

canova said:
mm... I don't know bout that, one of the achievements is to gain all the moves for all the weapons which are very expensive and require you to farm some spider souls and that take hours

Smart use of the enhancements could net enough souls to purchase everything within that time.

Canova

Banned
Paco said:
Smart use of the enhancements could net enough souls to purchase everything within that time.

the thing is that level 3 moves require you to have level 3 weapons, so not only you have to farm soul but you have to upgrade your weapons exp also. So you can't just farm soul using Scythe and the reaper, you have use gauntlets to upgrade the exp, to unlock its level 3 moves.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Seriously??? Im at 20 hours and still need to find two more of those green emblems, and level up the two weapons. Also find all armor pieces and then go on to beat the last two bosses.

Sydle

canova said:
the thing is that level 3 moves require you to have level 3 weapons, so not only you have to farm soul but you have to upgrade your weapons exp also. So you can't just farm soul using Scythe and the reaper, you have use gauntlets to upgrade the exp, to unlock its level 3 moves.

I was grinding my weapons in The Iron Canopy and they upgraded pretty quickly. When I put on one of the legendary enhancements that increases experience gained it didn't take that long.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Seriously??? Im at 20 hours and still need to find two more of those green emblems, and level up the two weapons. Also find all armor pieces and then go on to beat the last two bosses.

Yes. Everyone is making me doubt my memory so I went back and checked my save file. 16 hours and 9 minutes.

Canova

Banned
Paco said:
I was grinding my weapons in The Iron Canopy and they upgraded pretty quickly. When I put on one of the legendary enhancements that increases experience gained it didn't take that long.

Still I find it hard to believe someone bragged that he could max his achievements 1000/1000 in 15 hours in the first playthru without looking at any guide online

well whatever, anyone can brag online

Sydle

canova said:
Still I find it hard to believe someone bragged that he could max his achievements 1000/1000 in 15 hours in the first playthru without looking at any guide online

well whatever, anyone can brag online

Yeah, some of the items were pretty well hidden, so I have my doubts, too. Or maybe you and I just aren't as good at it.

Paco said:
Yeah, some of the items were pretty well hidden, so I have my doubts, too. Or maybe you and I just aren't as good at it.
The Dark Rider achievement alone is taking me forever.

Seriously, screw games like this and Tales of Vesperia (which is much worse). I don't care about leaving the game on for hours at a time doing nothing but riding in circles!

KevinCow

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
How do i get to
the last piece of the sword. I dunno how to get to the "unexplored" place where its at

You mean you can't teleport there? You'll have to warp to an adjacent area and walk there.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
KevinCow said:
You mean you can't teleport there? You'll have to warp to an adjacent area and walk there.

spoiler pic i guess
http://i45.tinypic.com/2e3msqx.jpg

but yea, im collecting all the pieces of the sword, the last piece is in that blacken unexplored area which i cant snake through. I just went through Twilight Castle, and now Chocking ground(the 2 places closets to this unexplored area). nothing.

am i missing something?

danmit im trying to finish this, i got another game to finish here before heavy Rain and GOW3 time arrives:lol

edit: wow never mind,
I could'nt snake to Broken Stairs??? i been there and found Vulgrim's spots? WTF

~Devil Trigger~ said:
spoiler pic i guess
http://i45.tinypic.com/2e3msqx.jpg

but yea, im collecting all the pieces of the sword, the last piece is in that blacken unexplored area which i cant snake through. I just went through Twilight Castle, and now Chocking ground(the 2 places closets to this unexplored area). nothing.

am i missing something?

danmit im trying to finish this, i got another game to finish here before heavy Rain and GOW3 time arrives:lol
The darkened area is the Broken Stair. Walk there from the Choking Grounds. You probably went right past the Vulgrim location your first time there.

Edit: Nevermind, you found it...

Does anybody know what the deal is with the creepy dude with the hat and cane that attacks you whenever you find a secret? I think I've fought him twice now and just seemed completely random and pointless.

Joei

So I've been playing this game for about a week or so and I'm really enjoying it. I'm about 7.5 hours in at the moment, I'm at the second dungeon area or whatever. I'm really enjoying this game so far. Not a whole lot I can complain about. The battle setup is great for me. I really don't play action type games like this that much, ie. only played a little of DMC4, never played God of War, and only a little of the new Ninja Gaiden games, so there's really nothing else for me to compare it to. In fact, while playing today I was thinking that it'd be pretty awesome if Zelda pulled something from this battle style. The story is pretty good so far as well. Mark Hamill is great, lol. I love hearing him do VA.

I really don't have anything to complain about at the moment, but there are two things that I think would have been nice additions. First, I wish there was a way to zoom in on things that are far away. Maybe there could be an item, like a pair of glasses or something. Or really, there doesn't even have to be that. The L3 doesn't have any use (so far) when standing around so that would have been nice to press, get in a first-person point of view and zoom in on things. Second, and I don't know if this shows up later, but it would be pretty cool to have combo's utilizing multiple weapons. You know, you have sword at square and scythe at triangle, and presumably more weapons coming, and you can integrate the two weapons into one combo.

DualShadow said:
Does anybody know what the deal is with the creepy dude with the hat and cane that attacks you whenever you find a secret? I think I've fought him twice now and just seemed completely random and pointless.

i have no fucking clue.. i imagined if i found and beat him enough i would get something..

i did think it was rather amusing to bump in to him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DualShadow said:

He's basically a joke character that was added in at the last minute. Does nothing but give souls.

KevinCow

Banned
Joei said:
Second, and I don't know if this shows up later, but it would be pretty cool to have combo's utilizing multiple weapons. You know, you have sword at square and scythe at triangle, and presumably more weapons coming, and you can integrate the two weapons into one combo.

You can... sort of. There aren't specific moves for multi-weapon combos, but you can combo certain moves into each other.

For example, the sword and scythe both have a standard combo:

X X X X - Three horizontal slashes followed by a powerful vertical slash

Y Y Y - Two horizontal swipes followed by throwing the scythe

And then you can combine these a bunch of different ways:

X (X X) Y

Y X X X

Y Y X X

Y X (X) Y

Y Y X Y

The most useful combo I've found is, with the scythe:

Hold X to launch and follow, X X X Y, Hold X

Finished Darksiders on Sunday and have to say I loved every second of it. Just need to clean up on some achievements.

I take it the iron canopy is the best place to farm souls for the Battle Hardened achievement?

Once I have my 1000GS its time to get stuck into Mass Effect 2, haven’t even cracked the plastic open yet, sitting taunting me. Oh and can’t wait for the sequel.

Bliddo

MasterLeePhD said:
I take it the iron canopy is the best place to farm souls for the Battle Hardened achievement?
Yup, equip War's Glory, go to the iron canopy, right after the big door, go left, in the next room there are about 15 spiders, kill them, get back up to the big door to make them respawn, and go back in the room.
It's a bit tedious, but it's the best way.
An easy 1000/1000 in 20 hours.

Joei

KevinCow said:
You can... sort of. There aren't specific moves for multi-weapon combos, but you can combo certain moves into each other.

For example, the sword and scythe both have a standard combo:

X X X X - Three horizontal slashes followed by a powerful vertical slash

Y Y Y - Two horizontal swipes followed by throwing the scythe

And then you can combine these a bunch of different ways:

X (X X) Y

Y X X X

Y Y X X

Y X (X) Y

Y Y X Y

The most useful combo I've found is, with the scythe:

Hold X to launch and follow, X X X Y, Hold X

Yeah, that's basically what I do since the animations tend to go quickly and there's no real slowdown when switching over to scythe, but it would have been nice to have those integrated with new animations and combos. It doesn't detract at all from the game the way it's setup, it's just something I think would have been pretty cool.

Lunchbox

Banned
im up to the
big dude with a club that talks in a irish accent and helps you fight

i really liked that part, but every thing leading up to that was boring as fuck. (like finding those training/combat arenas with specific ways to kill people) does it get better? or is it more of the same dungeons with puzzles in them

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
hdn said:
If you have the mysterious code....and wondered what its for...WONDER NO MORE!

http://ow.ly/16RX9

--edit: Actually, I think it's pretty impressive for free.

Yes, but your opinion is totally biased! ;p
Now be a dear, and please post the details here for those of us that have that link blocked by their corporate filters? Pwease?

bdouble

What. Where is my code...:( Really want that game.

Still hanging onto that mystery code? Good, because this is what you're getting:

A digital Hellbook disc featuring Darksiders art, videos, and other awesome stuff!

A free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla, a third person shooter featuring fully destructible environments... on Mars! To learn more about RF:G, go here.

Once you click on which version you want, enter your Promo Code and click "Apply."
This offer is only available to US residents and ends March 7, 2010. Shipping and handling not included.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MoxManiac said:
The hell? Game is $40 already??

FEB10OFF code at Gamestop.com makes it $36.

Bought. Seems like my kind of thing.

Damn looks like I missed the SAVER code though, what's that do?

Top Bottom