• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

bmf said:
Check the dungeons for any missing chests and then run through a guide for all the non-dungeon areas? Kinda makes me wish for a map that shows chests in all areas.
Well I've went to all areas with the ability to see all treasures. So it has to be somewhere underground that doesn't show up underground

shawnlreed

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Well I've went to all areas with the ability to see all treasures. So it has to be somewhere underground that doesn't show up underground

There is a life shard in one of the Serpent Holes (2 Wrath shards, also). I don't think those particular ones showed up on the map.

cbrun44

This game is such a pleasant surprise. I received my copy from Amazon this afternoon after buying on a whim and I must say I'm having a hell of a good time with it. Spent a good two hours destroying everything in site (trash cans, trees, birds, desks, the list goes on). Hope this continues to sell well. It definitely deserves it.

Best of all, I was lucky enough to get a Red Faction code in my copy! I wasn't expecting that. Already had a copy for the 360, but another for the PS3 at $5 can't hurt.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So I just received my copy of Darksiders for 360 since I managed to snag it for $33 (<3 Amazon) and it came with a small square paper that had a secret code on it.

What's the code for, exactly and is it still valid?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So despite making the mistake of choosing Wire Transfer, my credit union did the $5 transfer :)lol) on Tuesday morning and I just got my confirmation e-mail. Too bad there's no tracking information. =(

Ramirez

I just got Ruin a minute ago, definitely the most fun I've had in the game yet, the 2 bosses in that area were great fun. I think the highlight of the level though is the gun that shoots shard mines. :lol

Minamu

Beat the game last night. 19 hours. 4 trophies to go. Unfortunately, the game crashed on me while rubberbanding my controller for the dark rider trophy :p The ending was pretty badass :lol Should've seen the twist coming but nuh-uh. Can't wait for the sequel. Will buy no matter how frustrating the controls may be.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Red Faction: Guerilla offer is now available to anybody (in the US) who bought a new copy of Darksiders.

http://community.darksiders.com/blog-post/codeless-are-not-forgotten

Bought a game but didn't get a code? Don't worry. Click here to open and then print a mail-in form. Send the complete form with the following items:

Your original purchase receipt of a NEW copy of Darksiders
The package barcode
Shipping and handling costs

Your free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla along with the Hellbook disc should show up in about four weeks from receipt of form and items.

This offer is only available to US residents and ends March 7, 2010.

hank_tree

I have one life shard and one wrath shard left to find. Wish I had been paying more attention collecting the others so I could have marked them off in a guide or something.

Interactive Fiction said:
There is a life shard in one of the Serpent Holes (2 Wrath shards, also). I don't think those particular ones showed up on the map.
Im pretty sure i missed one in the black throne. After the cage puzzle with using weights. There was one right after that, that i just couldnt figure out, and im pretty sure i never got it. imma try to check tonight, i gotta beat this so i can trade it in for 20 bucks at gamestop

Minamu

hank_tree said:
I have one life shard and one wrath shard left to find. Wish I had been paying more attention collecting the others so I could have marked them off in a guide or something.
www.xbox360achievement.org have youtube videos of all collectables apart from weapon upgrades (I think). That's what I used before beating the game.

Too bad EU is (still) getting screwed with the whole Red Faction deal. I have my receipt in the box, for once, but alas, I don't live in the states. But I digress, I wouldn't want to trade my receipt for RF anyway :p

rSpooky

Picked this up last night, got the code, ordered the free copy or RF, loving the game. thanks for the tip and the percistency GAF. (and thanks THQ for the great promo)

hank_tree

Minamu said:
www.xbox360achievement.org have youtube videos of all collectables apart from weapon upgrades (I think). That's what I used before beating the game.

Too bad EU is (still) getting screwed with the whole Red Faction deal. I have my receipt in the box, for once, but alas, I don't live in the states. But I digress, I wouldn't want to trade my receipt for RF anyway :p

Cheers mate. Got all the shards now. Have all the achievements except the one for finishing on the hardest difficulty. Might leave that for a while and get back to Bayonetta.

KevinCow

Banned
diztrukted said:
is it possible to choose another game. I've never been a fan of Red Faction. If I can't get another game, then I'll either play it for achievements or sell it.

You're going to be picky about a free game?

Minamu

hank_tree said:
Cheers mate. Got all the shards now. Have all the achievements except the one for finishing on the hardest difficulty. Might leave that for a while and get back to Bayonetta.
You're welcome. I missed thowing a car at a helicopter & getting 160 kills while on the angelic beast. I hope that's not even harder to do on hard mode :S :(

soco

Ramirez said:
I actually think the first boss is probably the hardest boss in the game...keep at it.

straga?

i'm playing through on my first time on hard, but i actually found silitha or whatever to be the hardest. the camera fucks me up all sorts of ways especially when she'd just warp over your head, it was hard choosing which direction to dart towards.

Vortex566

Ramirez said:
I actually think the first boss is probably the hardest boss in the game...keep at it.

I 100% agree the final boss was easy compared to Tiamat who I died a number of times on. Loved the game bar the final dungeon which I spent hours on trying to figure out.

Booser

I also agree Tiamat was probably the hardest boss in the game. It was tricky learning how to throw the bombs at her. The Griever too. I forgot how to punch the train carriage at her and kept dying. Beat the Jailer, Stygian and Silitha first time though. Great bosses though in my opinion. As tricky as it was I loved the Tiamat boss fight. Overall the game has a fantastic atmosphere, everything is just so well done.

rSpooky

I am loving this game so far, but it kinda makes my head dizzy/numb
something about the camera or the graphics is getting to me , but I cannot pinpoint it the camera seems to hang a bit to the left of war and feels a bit off. But that cannot be the onyl thing

Kinda reminds me of what i had playing primal, I could never finish that fantastic game because it made me physically ill (headache, dizzy , nausea) anyone any clue what could be causing this and how I could counter it?

So far I have just been playing in small bites to deal with it , but that kinda sucks.

Joei

Well, I just completed the game today. Took me around 24 hours (I'm slow at games for those that 1000'd it in 15 hours, lol) and I still have a handful of things to get. I still need 2 abyssal armor pieces, 1 enhancement (no idea what it is, but I have one slot open) the 4 slots above Legendary are open (I have no idea what goes there, lol), I have 3 open slots for consumables and I'm missing a few soldier and champion artifacts. I also need to level up scythe and the tremor gauntlet (I don't even have that leveled at all). And there's still a handful of abilities I need to get. Gettng those souls has to be a pain cause some of that stuff is really expensive. I'd love to gamefaqs this stuff and go through the game and finish up what I need, but there's too many other games out there right now. I'm thinking one day I might come back and take care of things.

This next part may contain spoilers for some. Nothing major, but I don't know what I'd need to tag since it's all very general. Just letting you know in case you haven't played the game yet.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. I really liked the dungeons, to extent. The boss battles were also refreshing. None were difficult, aside from Tiamat (she took me like 10 tries), but none were really pushovers. The only one I found really easy was Griever. I liked traversing on Ruin when going in a straight path, otherwise turning or wanting to turn around was a pain. As for the combat, overall I loved the design, but it wasn't pefect. I found it almost impossible to block in this game. In fact, I don't know how anyone could block consistently. I wish they had integrated that a little better. I found dodging to be pretty useful later in the game. The only Wrath ability I ever used was Stoneskin. The others just seemed so... useless. I loved using the scythe and wish they had put some combos in combining that and sword, that would have been pretty sweet. I really liked the overall art direction of the game, but I wish some of the areas had a bit more variety. The desert area was pretty awesome, and the first dungeon was awesome, but most of the game felt like it was relying on the same setting style. The first and second dungeons seemed like they belonged together. The one with the spider was ok, but just an extentsion of the first two. Black Throne was cool, but I didn't find it "different" enough from the others really. The story was definitely satisfactory for me. I read complaints about it from some, but I don't have anything bad to say. Also, the way the ending led into a second game was pretty cool. I'm definitely looking forward to it. The VA in the game, to me, was fairly well done. Mark Hamill is always, always a great choice. Overall, it was a solid game and there's only a few things I'd tweak. From the list of games I was looking at buying this year, this wasn't even on there. I'm definitely glad I came across this title though.

EDIT- One thing I really, really liked was the way the game seemlessly put you in the dungeon. I didn't even know I was in the first on at first. You can kind of see it coming later in the game, but it still does an excellent job of a transition from general world to dungeon. The only time I ever felt like that in a Zelda game was the Ice Mansion in TP.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I just got this game last night and it's awesome so far. The fight against the bat queen was really difficult and amazing.

If it stays this good, Darksiders 2 will be a day one purchase. Excellent substitute in my constant wait for the next Zelda. If it ends up topping it, all the better.

Ramirez

soco said:
straga?

i'm playing through on my first time on hard, but i actually found silitha or whatever to be the hardest. the camera fucks me up all sorts of ways especially when she'd just warp over your head, it was hard choosing which direction to dart towards.

Errr, I didn't really consider that a boss, guess I should have said first dungeon boss then. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hopefully I won't get many hateful pms for ditching DS, but I need to ask:
Is this really considered to be a pretty good game?
I'm 3 hours in (PS3) and the game seems really mediocre and with an old-gen paint all over it.
Is it supposed to get much better? I reckon there must be something I'm not getting here, since if I'm not wrong ITT the game has a pretty positive consensus around it... so I'm definitely open to suggestion, I hate loosing money selling "new" games right away without even enjoying them a bit.
Even graphically it really fails to impress, I can look past the jaggies but the low res textures and flat lightning bother me the most... is this another victim of poor PS3 ports or does the game looks the same on 360?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dash Kappei said:
I'm 3 hours in (PS3) and the game seems really mediocre and with an old-gen paint all over it.
Is it supposed to get much better? I reckon there must be something I'm not getting here, since if I'm not wrong ITT the game has a pretty positive consensus around it... so I'm definitely open to suggestion, I hate loosing money selling "new" games right away without even enjoying them a bit.
Even graphically it really fails to impress, I can look past the jaggies but the low res textures and flat lightning bother me the most... is this another victim of poor PS3 ports or does the game looks the same on 360?

Looks and performs the same on the 360. Yeah, pretty shitty engine. And you have yet to experience the huge frame drops occurring later in the game. Now those will kill you.

But still, play it to the end. There is some good entertainment buried in there.

Sydle

TTP said:
Looks and performs the same on the 360. Yeah, pretty shitty engine. And you have yet to experience the huge frame drops occurring later in the game. Now those will kill you.

But still, play it to the end. There is some good entertainment buried in there.

Not sure what you're talking about. Post-patch the 360 version ran smooth at all times right through to the credits.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Paco said:
Not sure what you're talking about. Post-patch the 360 version ran smooth at all times right through to the credits.

Not in the
Ashlands or during the GOW-stile shooting parts
to my experience.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
TTP said:

Bummer, thanks for the reply anyway, I'll stick with it a bit more just to see if it grows on me.
Is there a patch out for the PS3 as well? It'd probably only be bugfixes, but some folks are stating the X360's one actually improves framerate... might be just a placebo effect, but maybe it's not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dash Kappei said:
Bummer, thanks for the reply anyway, I'll stick with it a bit more just to see if it grows on me.
Is there a patch out for the PS3 as well? It'd probably only be bugfixes, but some folks are stating the X360's one actually improves framerate... might be just a placebo effect, but maybe it's not.

There is no need for a PS3 patch cos the PS3 version was already V-Synced.
360 one was not, so the frame rate would seldom go past 30fps causing tearing and making frame drops more frequent. The patch basically turned on V-Sync on the 360 version.

Game has it's fair amount of bugs tho. I had 2 freezes, 1 situation where War wouldn't move at all and another one were he fell through an elevator while it was going up (causing a game breaking situation that forced me to load a previous save file).

More info about the 360 patch can be found here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-patch-blog-entry

Check that site for a PS3 vs 360 comparison as well. The latest Face-Off feature if I'm not mistaken. (edit: here)

-viper-

Banned
well it is good to see that both editions are identical. But not surprised. At this day I'd expect the performance of the PS3 version to be identical to the 360 one. :p

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm in the Twilight Cathedral and I'm pretty sure I encountered a glitch.

I'm trying to get the 3 swords for the statues and I'm in the room with the rotating platforms (where inert bombs are introduced) and I have to get through a layer of lava covering up a door to the sword. I finished everything that I think I'm supposed to do, and went up to grab the sword and I can't pick it up (it doesn't even say press B it's just there and I press be and he grabs and misses the sword). I really hope I don't have to go back...

Any way to fix this? I thought they put out a patch for these kinds of glitches. :(

Ramirez

Finished the game up tonight, it could be that I came into the game with no expectations at all, but I came away very pleased. Not sure why most of you are griping so much, the framerate never dropped anywhere near as bad as you're describing for me...the tearing was an issue, but the patch fixed it mostly.

I enjoyed this more than TP, the ending was pretty awesome.

outsidah

Dash Kappei said:

This is basically what I came here to post. I bought into the hype and bought the 360 version. I don't feel any connection to this game other than just playing it to play. Nothing about it sticks out for me... it's one of those games where I feel I'm just playing to get it done =/

So im just grinding to upgrade the scythe. Do I also have to upgrade those extra abilities like the yellow spikes, fire, and stone skin? like buy to upgrade them to get a trophy?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So im just grinding to upgrade the scythe. Do I also have to upgrade those extra abilities like the yellow spikes, fire, and stone skin? like buy to upgrade them to get a trophy?
You don't have to upgrade them on the 360 to get the achievements. Are the trophies the same?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
UltimateIke said:
You don't have to upgrade them on the 360 to get the achievements. Are the trophies the same?

Same. The wrath powers I found pretty useless, except maybe rock armor. I feel weird having platinumed this game and never posted in this thread. It was just a solid Zelda-esque game that I enjoyed without the thread, while a game like Demon's Souls was made even more fun by the official thread.

worldrevolution said:
Same. The wrath powers I found pretty useless, except maybe rock armor. I feel weird having platinumed this game and never posted in this thread. It was just a solid Zelda-esque game that I enjoyed without the thread, while a game like Demon's Souls was made even more fun by the official thread.

so if i dont have to upgrade stone skin, blade geyser etc.... fully, then all i need to do is get my kill 150 enemies using objects, and the horse one, then i can finally go to beat this damn game!!

Carnby

i finished the game with just under 20 hours of total time. this was one of the most pleasant surprises if had in a long tI'me. i love buying a game on a whI'm, loving it from start to finish, and then learning im being sent another game for free!:D

great ending too! im looking forward to part 2.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
I know most of you have already played Darksiders, but those scanning the site who haven't, the Demo is now available to download on PSN and XBOX LIVE.

It's the full first dungeon; Twilight Cathedral which is a nice chunk of game for Free.

Enjoy

Top Bottom