• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

SleazyC

Just finished the game, clocking in at a little more than 16 hours. The game incorporated so much from so many games and came together really nicely. I very much enjoyed the ride and look forward to next game.

Ronabo

I grabbed this used for $22 via a Gamestop coupon today.
Basically, you buy Bioshock 2 new and with the coupon get 25% off a used game. You can use your Edge card making it 35% off.

I'm not sure which game to start first.

krakov

Lunchbox said:
i really liked that part, but every thing leading up to that was boring as fuck. (like finding those training/combat arenas with specific ways to kill people) does it get better? or is it more of the same dungeons with puzzles in them

It gets better, the arenas are only in the beginning of the game as far as I can remember, a really drawn out tutorial. I didn't like the first few parts of this game either but all in all I think it's pretty great.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
wait, what code?? i have darksiders and idk what code?

edit:
nevermind, i see. and i see that i lost the code as well. :lol

:'(

edit:
anybody have a spare code? i will luv u long tine

I already had Red Faction 3 but I went ahead and got my 5 dollar copy anyways. I can always give it away, trade with someone or hold onto it until Gamestop does a deal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished. Aside from some rough patches, I liked it quite a bit. Black Throne and Twilight Cathedral were the highlights of the game. The ending was really good and has me wanting another game.

They have a lot of areas to improve for the next one. It's a pretty short game. I ended with 10 health cores and 6 wrath cores and still finished the game in about 15 hours. Needs to be like...double that length in terms of dungeons.

While trying to get all the chests I came across two that show on the map but I cannot find. One at the very be3ginning of The Crossroads and one in the Drowned Pass. I've searched high and low and tried various things to get them. I'm hopping this isn't going to effect the trophy. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks

TehSw1tch

Banned
Having trouble firing up the game again, I kept getting killed by a Sandworm in the desert area. I was running away from him to get into what looked like a secret outcropping off the beaten path, and I made it onto the rocky part that worms cannot traverse on, and even though I spent a good two seconds on solid ground, the insta-kill cutscene triggered regardless.

So yeah, I turned it off there and haven't restarted since.

Someone tell me what else I have to look forward to, so I can pop the game in again.

KevinCow

Banned
darkjedi187 said:
While trying to get all the check I came across two that show on the map but I cannot find. One at the very be3ginning of The Crossroads and one in the Drowned Pass. I've searched high and low and tried various things to get them. I'm hopping this isn't going to effect the trophy. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks

The Crossroads - Destroy all the hydrants in the area
Drowned Pass - Don't worry about it, it's a glitch

TehSw1tch said:
Having trouble firing up the game again, I kept getting killed by a Sandworm in the desert area. I was running away from him to get into what looked like a secret outcropping off the beaten path, and I made it onto the rocky part that worms cannot traverse on, and even though I spent a good two seconds on solid ground, the insta-kill cutscene triggered regardless.

So yeah, I turned it off there and haven't restarted since.

Someone tell me what else I have to look forward to, so I can pop the game in again.

Just keep going straight. You can't really explore that part yet. You'll be able to kill the sand worms later.

dorkimoe

Product Name Qty Ordered Amount Discount
Red Faction: Guerrilla Offer – X360 1 $0.00
Red Faction: Guerrilla Shipping 1 $4.99
Red Faction: Guerrilla Offer – PS3 1 $0.00

whoops

wonder if its gonna go thru

dorkimoe said:
Product Name Qty Ordered Amount Discount
Red Faction: Guerrilla Offer – X360 1 $0.00
Red Faction: Guerrilla Offer – PS3 1 $0.00

whoops

wonder if its gonna go thru

mine says the same thing, i wish I knew who they were shipping through, and I hope they send an email with the tracking number. I mean technically, the shipments should already be sent out.

Minamu

Haha wow, just reached the Black Throne today & after 3-4 hours, I'm SO done with that place :lol Talk about tedious. Hoow can it be anyone's highlight? o_O

BluWacky

Minamu said:
Haha wow, just reached the Black Throne today & after 3-4 hours, I'm SO done with that place :lol Talk about tedious. Hoow can it be anyone's highlight? o_O

Do you not like portal puzzles? I mean, the puzzles aren't exactly difficult, but they were what made the Black Throne fun for me rather than yet more combat. It's the most puzzley of all the Darksiders dungeons.

dorkimoe

Outtrigger888 said:
mine says the same thing, i wish I knew who they were shipping through, and I hope they send an email with the tracking number. I mean technically, the shipments should already be sent out.

it says they will let you know when it ships

Just popping in to say how amazingly zelda-like these dungeons are. Seriously. Nintendo should be sucking these guys in to a partnership for a future Zelda title.

BluWacky said:
Do you not like portal puzzles? I mean, the puzzles aren't exactly difficult, but they were what made the Black Throne fun for me rather than yet more combat. It's the most puzzley of all the Darksiders dungeons.

When i saw the room with rotating floors and portals, i got kinda worried. didn't look like fun at first, but once you get the hang of the portal weapon, i decided it was actually a really cool section.

Im at the end with 22 hours, and im missin one freakin life shard. how the hell will i figure out which one i missed?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
When i saw the room with rotating floors and portals, i got kinda worried. didn't look like fun at first, but once you get the hang of the portal weapon, i decided it was actually a really cool section.

Im at the end with 22 hours, and im missin one freakin life shard. how the hell will i figure out which one i missed?
Check the dungeons for any missing chests and then run through a guide for all the non-dungeon areas? Kinda makes me wish for a map that shows chests in all areas.

I'm enjoying Darksiders.

I think it is one of the biggest surprise games of this gen.

When it was first show on GI, it looked good but mediocre. Only thing interesting about it was it was a Joe Mad game. Than, we didn't hear anything about it for years until it came out of nowhere again.

But the game turned out great!

So it was a surprise. It's great to see that happen. Most games that just gets announced turn out bad, but this didn't.

Vitten

This game came as a pleasant surprise. Liked it enough that I went for the platinum which wasn't that hard to get, certainly not when playing through Apocayptic dificulty with the abyssal armor.

There were a few things that annoyed me though:
The combat was fun but a bit too simplistic .. in the end all I did was mash the attack button and use the 'harpoon tackle' dashmove to zip from enemy to enemy. Never even bothered with the scythe or the other sword moves apart for trophy purposes.
The final dungeon went on for too long and felt too puzzle-oriented, I hated that stupid scale puzzle.
The local map is too fragmented and REALLY needed a zoom out function so you could see everything of one dungeon floor or one area on the same screen. Nothing more frustrating to search for that final item only to discover that the treasure chest was in some far off room that only appears on your screen after moving the mapscreen around for half a minute.
Also felt the game took itself a little too seriously. Apart from some funny Watcher moments there wasn't a lot of humour here.

Nevertheless, If a sequel is made I will be getting my copy :)

luffeN

Just received an e-mail about a Darksiders demo coming to Xbox Live in Europe. No PSN version due to the age rating. 90 minutes of fun! Release 25th of February

edit: seems like Germany will not be getting the PS3 demo

Wer bisher noch nicht das Vergnügen gehabt bzw. sich nicht getraut hat, gegen hinterlistige Dämonen und gigantische Endgegner anzutreten, bekommt davon in Kürze kostenlos einen Einblick: Ab 25. Februar wird es online im Xbox Live-Netzwerk eine spielbare Demo zu DARKSIDERS zum Download geben. In der rund 90minütigen Demo haben die User die Möglichkeit, die ganze Vielfalt des Spiels kennenzulernen. Schauplatz ist die „Zwielichtkathedrale“, der erste große Dungeon. Hier gilt es, anspruchsvolle Rätsel zu lösen und essenzielle Ausrüstungsgegenstände zu finden, um am Ende das teuflische Flugmonster Tiamat zu vernichten.

THQ wünscht dabei viel Erfolg.

Hinweis: DARKSIDERS ist ferner für die PS3-Konsole erhältlich. Leider kann die Demo wegen seiner Altersfreigabe ab 18 nicht online im zugehörigen Playstation Network veröffentlicht werden.

edit: oh, maybe this is old, but I was just reading in the latest GI that Vigil Games originally planed a 4 player coop game before realizing they were crazy. More fun facts to be found in the latest issue.

Keyser Soze said:
Demo news is not old, it just went out in a new PR. News was embargoed until 5PM though :p
ah okey xD

Demo news is not old, it just went out in a new PR. News was embargoed until 5PM though :p

EXTENSIVE DEMO ANNOUNCED FOR DARKSIDERS™
Over 90 minutes of gameplay coming for both Xbox 360® and Playstation®3

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. February 16, 2010 – Gamers will be able to get to grips with Darksiders™’ true essence in the upcoming release of a 90-minute game demo for Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 based on THQ Inc.’s critically acclaimed action-adventure game.

The demo contains the entire first dungeon encounter from the game, the sprawling Twilight Cathedral. This engaging and challenging level contains dozens of puzzles for players to solve, new pieces of equipment to discover and epic boss battles against the monstrous demon Jailer and the savage bat-winged Tiamat. Representing a cross section of Darksiders’ key features, the demo will take approximately 90 minutes to complete for the average player. The demo will become available to download from Xbox LIVE® and PlayStation®Network on 25 February.

David Adams, General Manager of Vigil Games commented:

“We are really pumped to be bringing a playable demo for Darksiders to Xbox 360 and PlayStation3. We really wanted to give gamers a true idea of the variety of gameplay that the game offers and so rather than just making a standard 20-minute demo version of the first few levels, we decided to give away this massive level and reveal the true essence of the game

Darksiders is now available at retail outlets worldwide for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system for a suggested retail price of £49.99.

Hugbot

nacire said:
Holy shit the entire Twilight Cathedral, now that's a worthy demo! :D
It really is. I just finished it and it's definitely a good hook to get people interested. On a related note, aout how far am I into the game, having just beaten the first dungeon? I can't imagine too far, but I'm also unsure of how long the game is.

It's scary how fresh the game feels, when the game it cribs the most from hasn't felt fresh to me for several iterations. It's definitely giving me the itch to go back and play through Twilight Princess, though.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hugbot said:
It really is. I just finished it and it's definitely a good hook to get people interested. On a related note, aout how far am I into the game, having just beaten the first dungeon? I can't imagine too far, but I'm also unsure of how long the game is.

It's scary how fresh the game feels, when the game it cribs the most from hasn't felt fresh to me for several iterations. It's definitely giving me the itch to go back and play through Twilight Princess, though.

Same here on the LoZ:TP, but my backlog is too big at the moment. As far as progression into Darksiders goes it really depends. I wrangled as much playtime as possible out of the title and my playtime was quite bloated when compared to others in this thread. My rough guess would be 1/5 or 1/6 of the way through the game? Someone else could maybe answer better.

wait wat? the entire twilight cathedral??

that's a bad idea.. i mean.. it's great, but that's WAAAAY to much.. give people a good taste. now there is a chance they will have played enough...

Booser

Awesome demo for people who dont have it. Its my second favourite dungeon in the game (Iron Canopy being the first - I just loved the atmosphere in it)

MMaRsu

Did someone make a thread yet about THQ announcing a 90 minute Darksiders demo in which you can play the Twilight Cathedral?

KevinCow said:
The Crossroads - Destroy all the hydrants in the area
Drowned Pass - Don't worry about it, it's a glitch

Just keep going straight. You can't really explore that part yet. You'll be able to kill the sand worms later.

Thanks for the Crossroads one, I was looking for that as well.

I just got to Drowned Pass as I am going through all the areas to get all the missing stuff and there is a symbol for a chest near where I got one of the sword pieces. Is that the glitched one?

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
The reason we're giving away the entire Twilight Cathedral is really the reason we originally didn't do a demo at all. It's hard give somebody a 20min demo of Darksiders and do it justice, so, we thought what about an entire dungeon where they can experience; combat, traversal, getting the first gear item etc. that would give players a good feel about the rest of the game.

It's a huge demo, but hopefully, people on the fence will now be able to make their mind up for themselves.

H

luffeN

hdn said:
The reason we're giving away the entire Twilight Cathedral is really the reason we originally didn't do a demo at all. It's hard give somebody a 20min demo of Darksiders and do it justice, so, we thought what about an entire dungeon where they can experience; combat, traversal, getting the first gear item etc. that would give players a good feel about the rest of the game.

It's a huge demo, but hopefully, people on the fence will now be able to make their mind up for themselves.

H

I hope many more people buy this game to justify a sequel!

hdn said:

H

true... it will be the best demo ever..in terms of value for the player.

but i think people will think they played enough of the game... In my opinion.. a smaller demo would be better for sales... though it's very true that 20 minutes (a normal gameplay 20 minutes) will not be enough.

Ok, I just finished DS. The last fight was really easy (on apocalyptic) but great, and the ending was one badass cliffhanger lol

Cannot wait for anything new. DS is now one of my favorite games this gen!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
TheCardPlayer said:
Yeah demo convinced me. I'm out to buy this thing.

HNI_0023-1.jpg

Phock yea.

Fact 1: The DS camera sucks tits.

Fact 2: A game with a full dungeon demo deserves my love. Out to jump into this bitch. Give to the player, and the player will give to thee. More companies need to be like THQ.

Minamu

Wait, you heard there was a demo coming out, so you went out to buy the full game before it comes out? :) good purchase either way.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Always-honest said:
true... it will be the best demo ever..in terms of value for the player.

but i think people will think they played enough of the game... In my opinion.. a smaller demo would be better for sales... though it's very true that 20 minutes (a normal gameplay 20 minutes) will not be enough.

This was our problem, either way is problematic but, we feel that the Cathedral gives a nice broad stroke of what Darksiders is. If people don't want to play the whole thing twice, they can always play enough to convince themselves and go and buy the game. If they love it, they may not mind doing it twice...I guess time will tell :|

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Minamu said:
Wait, you heard there was a demo coming out, so you went out to buy the full game before it comes out? :) good purchase either way.

Well, I kind of wanted to try it out, but I kind of ignored it in favor of Bayonetta and I don't regret it one bit. But hearing that the devs were putting out a full dungeon demo? That takes balls of motherfucking steel. So I jumped in. Brand new copy too.

Anyway, I'm not that far in the game yet but it's damn good so far. It's about what I expected. Great artstyle, great music, the gameplay works handsomely and the story hooked me already. My two peeves? War looks like crap. Seriously, and it would have been cool to be able to use Death's scythe as your main weapon. Subweapon doesn't suit it very well. :D

So yeah, very good game. But I'll never like War. Ever. He just looks like a big moron. Hide his face in his cloak and give him better proportions and I would be good to go. But that's not gamebreaking in anyway. Can't wait to play more.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hdn said:
This was our problem, either way is problematic but, we feel that the Cathedral gives a nice broad stroke of what Darksiders is. If people don't want to play the whole thing twice, they can always play enough to convince themselves and go and buy the game. If they love it, they may not mind doing it twice...I guess time will tell :|

I think it would have been best if you stopped the demo after the Jailer.

Top Bottom