• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Meier

Started playing this last night. About 25 minutes in, got back my sword and stuff. I am a little annoyed at the camera angle when you lock on with the L trigger but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Decided it wasn't a great game to play before bed time but then oddly enough I ended up watching some Dead Like Me on Netflix Instant Watch. Morbid, much? :lol

Red

SuperSonic1305 said:
Start on Apocalyptic. The game gets easier as it goes on.
Gets even easier than it already is? I just got the wing things and haven't run into any trouble. It's a lot of fun, but I'm surprised "hard" difficulty is so easy.

orion434

MoxManiac said:
going to get this fairly soon, should I start right on hard (apocolyptic?) or with normal? I do plan to platinum it.

You can get a Platinum on 1 run if you do it on Apocalyptic, and it's not very difficult... has it's moments of frustration.

I read about a demo coming the 25th, and I even googled a news story saying it was up - but I just can't find it. Where is it? I definitely see it not on PSN.

edit : ah, PSN gets the "later today" treatment. When the hell is that I wonder..

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I read about a demo coming the 25th, and I even googled a news story saying it was up - but I just can't find it. Where is it? I definitely see it not on PSN.

edit : ah, PSN gets the "later today" treatment. When the hell is that I wonder..

It's up on Euro PSN now, later tonight in US

Violater

Ok I am at the part where
you are going through with the giant Scottish guy from Samurai Jack
how far am I from the end?

KevinCow

Banned
Violater said:
Ok I am at the part where
you are going through with the giant Scottish guy from Samurai Jack
how far am I from the end?

Nowhere near the end. You're maybe a quarter of the way through.

ACE 1991

Hmmm... Trying to decide between this game and borderlands. Can anyone weigh in? I realize they are different games by nature, but which have you had more fun with to those who have played both?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm doing the RFG deal without the promo code, so I have to send in my receipt, the form, and the original barcode.

On the instructions it says "original package bar code". Does that mean I have to cut it out of the back of the cover art? If so, that sucks, but I'll do it for a free game.

Everdred

Just finished the game, what a ride! I finished both this and Bioshock 2 in the last 2 days. Definitely prefer this game overall. Honestly one of my favorite games this gen. I don't give a damn if the whole game is based on other games, that's what makes it so great.

KAL2006

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Hmmm... Trying to decide between this game and borderlands. Can anyone weigh in? I realize they are different games by nature, but which have you had more fun with to those who have played both?

I was anticipating Borderlands, however it got kind of repetative especially because the variety of enemies and locations is lacking. I wouldn't get Borderlands, they will most likely make Borderlands 2 which will improve allot on the original.

Anony

i'm at the desert worm part where you get 1 hit ko'd
specifically, the part where you cant freeze time and have to just run across

how far am i

i'm just not 'into' the game, i'm considering calling it quits and starting dante's inferno

So I finally played this demo a bit. At first I was kind of leery, I can't stop looking at this character and seeing WoW artwork. Also just plopped in to the area..

Well, anyway, I played it and loved it. Game seems super sweet, seems very coherent as it "builds" upon itself as you go further along. Seems intelligent and fun to play. I'm resisting the urge to buy it right now because I just splurged on Heavy Rain this week already.

Mad_Ban

Just tried the PSN demo and didn't like it. The controls didn't feel 'right' for me and I found the combat awkward.

I'll give it another try later to see if it grows on me.

Sydle

Anony said:

how far am i

i'm just not 'into' the game, i'm considering calling it quits and starting dante's inferno

You're about half way through, maybe a little more.

Mad_Ban said:
Just tried the PSN demo and didn't like it. The controls didn't feel 'right' for me and I found the combat awkward.

I'll give it another try later to see if it grows on me.

The only thing I didn't like is having to hit R3, then hold L2 to taret and R2 to fire the boomerang. Just seemed like too complex a motion for something I wanted to be able to whip out.

Otherwise, the longer I played the more everything felt juuuust right.

Razor210

Okay, in the demo, after you fight in that courtyard and the one door unlocks, what exactly do you do?

I spent 20 minutes doing absolutely nothing cause I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

Razor210 said:
Okay, in the demo, after you fight in that courtyard and the one door unlocks, what exactly do you do?

I spent 20 minutes doing absolutely nothing cause I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

What courtyard and what door? I mean. . .

Razor210

DownLikeBCPowder said:
What courtyard and what door? I mean. . .
So, you get through the first door by putting the sword on the statue, and then you fight a bunch of flying dudes. Then you turn to the right and go through another open door, and fight a bunch of regular dudes/flying dudes.

And then I'm stuck.

Razor210 said:
So, you get through the first door by putting the sword on the statue, and then you fight a bunch of flying dudes. Then you turn to the right and go through another open door, and fight a bunch of regular dudes/flying dudes.

And then I'm stuck.

Are you talking about the courtyard that has a visible higher level, but on the bottom there are three doors, one of which you come through, one which is covered in blue and... another that looks like the one you came through?

dolemite

Anony said:

how far am i

Wait for the worm to be as far away as possible, then make a double jump + gliding, and then run (DO NOT jump when walking through sand). I kept jumping and the worm kept busting me all the time.

Just wanted to say the demo completely sold me on this game (it dulls the wait for the next true Zelda): any deals going on at the moment?

Demo was excellent for a Zelda clone, I'll fully recommend it to any friends who enjoy those types of game. Only issue is I don't feel too inclined to play through play through another Zelda on my own, if I find someone who'll play through it with me I'll buy it now (as the only reason I played through TP was because a friend was finding it too difficult through them and it was fun) otherwise I'll wait until the price become a lot lower.

dolemite

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Just wanted to say the demo completely sold me on this game (it dulls the wait for the next true Zelda): any deals going on at the moment?
40$ from amazon. Used to be 35$:D from Gamestop.com but the deal is now over.

Razor210

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Are you talking about the courtyard that has a visible higher level, but on the bottom there are three doors, one of which you come through, one which is covered in blue and... another that looks like the one you came through?
I believe so.

One door gets unlocked after you beat all the guys that spawn in the courtyard.

Alastor

The demo is great, and I want to buy this game (someday ;)), but one thing for me is really showing that combat system is below the average in action games genre - countering. Ok, so I want to block and counter an upcoming attack. I wait for the start of attack animation of the standard grunt enemy. Then, I immediately push the button and... fail?

So, you're actually supposed to block an attack just a milisecond BEFORE you see that the enemy is actually going to hurt you. That's retarded. Is that only in demo? Or maybe there's some ability ("faster blocking"?) that I'm missing?

Chris R

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Why only the 360 version :(
Shit WTF!!!! The PS3 version was 40$ like a week ago :lol

I'm going to buy the game, but not until the price is back under 40$ again and I don't have anything else I'm playing. Demo was great.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alastor said:
The demo is great, and I want to buy this game (someday ;)), but one thing for me is really showing that combat system is below the average in action games genre - countering. Ok, so I want to block and counter an upcoming attack. I wait for the start of attack animation of the standard grunt enemy. Then, I immediately push the button and... fail?

So, you're actually supposed to block an attack just a milisecond BEFORE you see that the enemy is actually going to hurt you. That's retarded. Is that only in demo? Or maybe there's some ability ("faster blocking"?) that I'm missing?

Yeah, countering/blocking is not good. The best solution is to dodge and dodge early, then get back in quickly.

ACE 1991

Quick question before I pick this up. The combat seemed too "mash square to win" for my liking in the demo. I assume this opens up and attains more depth as you buy new moves and spells, correct?

Alastor

ZealousD said:
Yeah, countering/blocking is not good. The best solution is to dodge and dodge early, then get back in quickly.

Shame, I love countering attacks, it's a habit after countless hours wasted on God of War 1&2's hardest difficulty settings ;) Still, the exploration and design aspects of Darksiders make up for combat.

Oh, one question. In the beginning of the demo, before entering the catedral, there's an area on the left with some ice wall (?) thing that's hiding something. Is there a way to destroy it, or I must wait for it till I buy the full version?

Ramirez

Alastor said:
Shame, I love countering attacks, it's a habit after countless hours wasted on God of War 1&2's hardest difficulty settings ;) Still, the exploration and design aspects of Darksiders make up for combat.

Oh, one question. In the beginning of the demo, before entering the catedral, there's an area on the left with some ice wall (?) thing that's hiding something. Is there a way to destroy it, or I must wait for it till I buy the full version?

It will open up later in the game...

dolemite

Alastor said:

As you progress into the game, more and more areas will be accessible via various upgrades to your equipment.

I decided to go for another playthrough on Apocalyptic and it looks like you get to keep the upgraded armor from the previous game. Nice:D

Loved this game.

Love the art.
Love the story.
Love the mix of Zelda dungeons with GOW combat (albeit easier)
Love the attention to detail, where every item or boost you apply alters your appearance.

Putting together the abysmal armor and walking through the game-world as this iron-clad badass was just an awesome reward, totally made you feel like a badass, really rewarding extra (on top of the extra life and wrath upgrades, which are standard for any Zelda-esque game).

Played it through on apocalyptic, got everything, still might go back for more in a few months.

diddlyD

Banned
this game shamelessly rips off god of war (unbelievably so, i could swear they even stole sound effects and art assets from sony), zelda, warcraft's art style, and portal in one of the later dungeons. as another gaffer best described it, it is creatively bankrupt.

it also has some serious design and execution defects with combat, controls, interface, and other things.

but i love it. had a blast with it (played it right after uncharted 2 and i probably had more fun with darksiders), gonna play through it again for platinum, will buy a sequel day one, and totally recommend it at $40 if you liked the demo at all. it's an odd little appealing gem of a game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
diddlyD said:
this game shamelessly rips off god of war (unbelievably so, i could swear they even stole sound effects and art assets from sony), zelda, warcraft's art style, and portal in one of the later dungeons. as another gaffer best described it, it is creatively bankrupt.

it also has some serious design and execution defects with combat, controls, interface, and other things.

but i love it. had a blast with it (played it right after uncharted 2 and i probably had more fun with darksiders), gonna play through it again for platinum, will buy a sequel day one, and totally recommend it at $40 if you liked the demo at all. it's an odd little appealing gem of a game.

id also throw in panzer dragoon based on the flying section i saw in the gt review

diddlyD

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
id also throw in panzer dragoon based on the flying section i saw in the gt review

hah, maybe but that part is pretty short, and gow 2 had similar flying crap in it, so i'd say it would fall under more gow plagiarism :)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
diddlyD said:
hah, maybe but that part is pretty short, and gow 2 had similar flying crap in it, so i'd say it would fall under more gow plagiarism :)
he was locking onto multiple targets and shooting lasers that is soooooOOOooOOOoo dragoon

Thrakier

I played the demo. I think it's a very competent game gameplay wise, graphics are ok. I finished the demo, however I was bored with it like after the first 20 or 30 minutes. And I can't exactly tell you why. I love Zelda, I love God of war...the style etc. was fine with me. But I was totally bored. Maybe, just maybe, it was because it felt like I already played this game before. And not only once.

Darsiders is easily, one of the best games i've ever played this generation. I went out without the intention of buying a new game, got back home with darksiders, although i don't know anything about it except reading the official thread title here on NeoGAF.

I was completely shocked when I played it, I didn't put down the controller for more than 3 hours. beat it quickly, maybe in less than 4 sits. I think you HAVE TO give the game your heart. it has a lengthy campaign, has a nice story based on biblical prophecies, bad ass looking character, puzzles, great set of weapons and equipment. I really like everything about this game. and definitely, I can't wait to put my hands on the sequel.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I played the demo and... though it somewhat clicked on me and the combat was fun, some puzzles were obnoxious and the graphics didn't wow me at all. Seems fun, I wanted to like it... but na.

Top Bottom