• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fleet of Foot said:
I just got
Ruin (the horse)
. Can someone tell me what percentage of the game I've completed?

That's basically the halfway point.

Meier

MMaRsu said:
How so? It's easy..
Hmm, I dunno. I had no health refill abilities so I had to rely on the crossblade, go in circles, tap b a bunch, crossblade, go in circles, etc. for a good 15 minutes to kill her. It was a nightmare. I saw a video on Youtube where you could dash in and jump out of the way of the explosions but that wasn't an option for me. Both Griever and Stygian were much easier IMO which is pretty silly -- oh well!

I am in the 4th boss' lair.. fun game but I am surprised at its length. I was kind of hoping that this was closer to GoW than Zelda in that regard. After 9 hours, it feels a bit repetitive.

Sadly, I have a massive backlog and haven't started the game yet.

However, I do need to take care of this code.

So, have they run out of discs or something? Seriously, what's with the electronic download? (presumably a code to downlaod the game from Games on Demand?)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ACE 1991 said:
So how "mash x to win" (360 version) is the combat? Does it gain some depth as the game goes on?

At least on Apocalyptic, I never felt the game was mashy. I wish the actual wrath powers were more useful, but other than that I felt the combat was fun. If I was surrounded by a lot of enemies I'd quickly do the scythe whirl to knock them all down and then start with my sword. Once you get the gloves you have more options. The combat doesn't get too in depth but isn't too simple either.

As others have stated though, the game is pretty tough in the beginning on Apocalyptic but by the midway point it's normal/easy. While the combat is the same, the end section might start to feel more mashy than the beginning just because there is really no danger of dying to anything but a giant boss.

Basically..apocalyptic is all you should play.

ACE 1991

worldrevolution said:
At least on Apocalyptic, I never felt the game was mashy. I wish the actual wrath powers were more useful, but other than that I felt the combat was fun. If I was surrounded by a lot of enemies I'd quickly do the scythe whirl to knock them all down and then start with my sword. Once you get the gloves you have more options.

As others have stated though, the game is pretty tough in the beginning on Apocalyptic but by the midway point it's normal/easy. The end definitely felt more 'mashy' than the beginning just because there was really no danger of dying to anything but a giant boss.

alright, thanks for the info. I'll play it on apocalypitc.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ACE 1991 said:
alright, thanks for the info. I'll play it on apocalypitc.

Haha editted my post quickly since I worded the original you quoted really weirdly, but glad the message got through. Play it on apocalyptic!

Decado

I like the game, but I got sick of all the puzzles by the time I came to the tower or whatever it's called. They're so fucking tedious.

I just tried the demo during and I didn't liked it at all. First of all, I hate the controls and the camera, it's slow, it's confusing, hitting enemies doesn't feel very good (the animation are slow, and it lacks some punch :/), plus the AI is not agressive at all. The baddies just stand around waiting for you to kill them. Didn't liked it at all. The is pretty boring too, linear structure, shitty puzzles that throw the solution in your face before you even realize there was a problem to begin with.

I kinda liked the art style though, it reminds me of a Blizzard game, and I really love the visuals in these games, but the tech isn't there. The framerate isn't very high, the IQ isn't super hot either, in the end it's not a very good looking game, and it's not super smooth either. I can't think of any good thing to say about this demo, it's boring, it's generic, it's slow. What a waste of time:lol I really don't get the praises, I guess the full game is less confusing with more time to swallow everything, and maybe the story/presentation is engaging, but I find the gameplay way too boring to give the game a try.

grumble

I just finished this game. It was really good! The art style was great, the characters were cool, the world-building was wicked (what an idea for a setting!), and the ending made me really hope for a sequel.

It started off kind of slow, then hit a sweet spot as enemies gained more moves, the puzzles got a little more complex and I gained more weapons and abilities. There were some stumbling blocks (black throne was tedious), but overall it was very solid.

Does anyone know how well the game has been doing?

Joei

grumble said:
Does anyone know how well the game has been doing?

Although I don't recall the sales figures, I'm pretty sure the sequel has been confirmed, so that's good enough for me :lol

Joei said:
Although I don't recall the sales figures, I'm pretty sure the sequel has been confirmed, so that's good enough for me :lol
They shipped 1.2 mil copies I do not know how many of those are sold but I like to think all of them, Darksiders is a GREAT game.

DemonNite

I just finished it also and overall it was decent. Surprisingly quite long and lots of puzzles but it started to drag in the tower going back and forth. After that bit it was fairly straight forward.

I like the story they have set in place and wouldn't mind playing the sequel but I hope they pace it a little better in the second half. Some of those respawning sections were tedious!

One trophy away from platinum. The one where you kill over 170 enemies on the flying section. Tried about 5 times and wanted to break my controller. I traded it in already, but im kind of regretting not getting that last one

Macmanus

Played the demo last night and loved the hell out of it. The art style is rather bland, and reminds me, as others have stated, a bit like it's channeling Blizzard. The graphics aren't very impressive either. I wish this came out on PC.

However I loved the hell out of the game play. Felt just like a fun Zelda game. I just need to get a better handle on the blocking mechanic. I spent most of the time dodging stuff with the dash.

MMaRsu

Macmanus said:
Played the demo last night and loved the hell out of it. The art style is rather bland, and reminds me, as others have stated, a bit like it's channeling Blizzard. The graphics aren't very impressive either. I wish this came out on PC.

However I loved the hell out of the game play. Felt just like a fun Zelda game. I just need to get a better handle on the blocking mechanic. I spent most of the time dodging stuff with the dash.

Nobody uses the block in this game :p.

Macmanus

MMaRsu said:
Nobody uses the block in this game :p.

Well that is good to know. I wont ass around with it then.

Does the game stay as solid all the way through? The demo was just really well paced and the combat felt incredibly solid for a dungeon crawler in the vein of Blood Omen/Soul Reaver and Zelda.

MMaRsu

Macmanus said:
Well that is good to know. I wont ass around with it then.

Does the game stay as solid all the way through? The demo was just really well paced and the combat felt incredibly solid for a dungeon crawler in the vein of Blood Omen/Soul Reaver and Zelda.

Imo the game only got better, really had a great time with it :). Combat got better too, even though I pretty much liked it from the beginning :p.

vgachi57

i know there's a lot of comments that combat==mashtastic, but my wife wanted to try it last week to see what all the fuss was about. she started on easy and started mashing, hitting the button prompt for the instant kills whenever they showed up. didn't get too far because she didn't understand dodging. granted, she's never played a 3rd person action game before but just saying the game isn't entirely mash-friendly, especially to different gamers of different backgrounds.

Salz01

Macmanus said:

I dont understand how the Blizzard art inspiration is a bad thing. I thought it was cool. On consoles nothing looks like it. I thought it looks good. (IMHO)

Macmanus

Salz01 said:
I dont understand how the Blizzard art inspiration is a bad thing. I thought it was cool. On consoles nothing looks like it. I thought it looks good. (IMHO)

Comparing it to Blizzard's style isn't a negative, however it didn't feel as fleshed out and unique as Blizzard's style as a whole. More like Blizzard meets late 90s comic books.

I really don't have an issue with said style, I just felt it wasn't a strength of the game, much like how it wasn't a weakness either.

dolemite

Spruce Moose said:
I don't understand how anyone can enjoy mashing buttons. Does the second half of the demo get better?
It's not a button masher if you play on Apocalyptic. As for casual, yeah, you can button mash your way through almost the entire game and several bosses.

grumble

I will say that the second half of the game dragged a bit. They had a little filler content as far as back-and-forth goes, and
the black throne was shitty
. Overall though, very solid game with some room for improvement in the sequel. I never liked Zelda games, but this game for some reason struck a chord with me. I think it was the characters, setting and combat.

eznark

Banned
Just finished, what an excellent game. Black Throne could have been a third as long though, man that part fucking dragged on. Everything else was fantastic though. That ending made me wish I had the sequel to pop in right now.

-viper- said:
Wait, you can block in Darksiders? I had no idea. It's what annoyed me about the game's combat. You could only dodge as far as I could tell.
If you were pushing the stick just a little he would dodge and not block. You almost had to consciously let go of the stick altogether.

Fortunately you never really need to block in this game, dodging is more important.

Played it, finished it, hated it. Utterly boring combat, boring puzzles, boring dungeons. Bosses were dull as hell, terrible enemy design in general.

Plot sucked (if War doesn't give a shit, why should I? It made less sense than Bayonetta.) Cool final line, but I spent the whole waiting for it to happen so blah. Just ugh...there was no...substance. It was like a beachball.

Too much busywork in general (yeah lets totally replicate the WORST part of Wind Waker). Puzzles that weren't even puzzles, more of a "follow the bouncing ball of switches" type thing. Just busywork and filler, like those shadow void combat arenas. And WAR WALKED TOO GODDAMN SLOW, which made going anywhere terribly frustrating.

None of the items really did anything, they were glorified keys. Ruin's chasm crossing thing: key, Earthmover: Key, Voidwalker: very fancy key, Mask Of Shadows: key to unlock seven locks. Lame.

Yeah I didn't like it at all. The only good thing about it is it made me appreciate Dante's Inferno more.

eznark said:
I wish you had led with that

I wish I hadn't given my friend Valkyria Chronicles in exchange. Now he's down in the south of England with one of the best things ever and I'm stuck with a pish game I can't even sell.

Facism

finished this last week. brilliant game if a bit basic in some areas. Dungeons were mostly great with some fun puzzles.

wish there was a quick way to power the weps without just relying on the legendary slot.

Captain_Spanky said:
Played it, finished it, hated it. Utterly boring combat, boring puzzles, boring dungeons. Bosses were dull as hell, terrible enemy design in general.

Plot sucked (if War doesn't give a shit, why should I? It made less sense than Bayonetta.) Cool final line, but I spent the whole waiting for it to happen so blah. Just ugh...there was no...substance. It was like a beachball.

Too much busywork in general (yeah lets totally replicate the WORST part of Wind Waker). Puzzles that weren't even puzzles, more of a "follow the bouncing ball of switches" type thing. Just busywork and filler, like those shadow void combat arenas. And WAR WALKED TOO GODDAMN SLOW, which made going anywhere terribly frustrating.

None of the items really did anything, they were glorified keys. Ruin's chasm crossing thing: key, Earthmover: Key, Voidwalker: very fancy key, Mask Of Shadows: key to unlock seven locks. Lame.

Yeah I didn't like it at all. The only good thing about it is it made me appreciate Dante's Inferno more.
Wow

No accounting for taste I guess :lol

Personally I thought this game was rad.

Macmanus

Captain_Spanky said:

I wish I had your kind of free time to just piss away on things I hate.

My main issue with the game is that the plot takes itself too seriously and the character design is silly '90s comic books meets Blizzard.

Smash this title's game play and combat mechanics up with the characters, art style, and writing of Brutal Legend and this would probably be my favorite game ever.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm at the
Portal
dungeon now and I feel like the game gets better as it progresses. So far the only part that gave me trouble was the section where you had to evade the worm without time freeze. I swear I must've missed the entrance to the cave by inches for like 5 times. What an incredibly frustrating part.

So yeah, it's basically a zelda clone in all aspects, but it made me realize how i've missed this type of game.

Next game could do with some better pacing though. Replace the boring combat challenges with short, tutorial-esque dungeons introducing more items.

I feel late for having just picked this up but I like to wait with games and play it safe, the prices only go down. I loved the demo, I plan on making this Darksiders day.

Ps3, of course.

Macmanus said:
I wish I had your kind of free time to just piss away on things I hate.

It's possible to hate something in retrospect you know. Opinions change. I bet if I hadn't finished some smart arse would have piped up with "well you can't know because you didn't finish it". Hell it's not like it's a long game anyway. It seemed like an average Zelda clone to begin with and as it went on it just pissed away all the goodwill.

-viper- said:
Wait, you can block in Darksiders? I had no idea. It's what annoyed me about the game's combat. You could only dodge as far as I could tell.

The Block counter is the only way to kill
Tiamat
without getting insanely frustrated.

Macmanus

Captain_Spanky said:
It's possible to hate something in retrospect you know. Opinions change. I bet if I hadn't finished some smart arse would have piped up with "well you can't know because you didn't finish it". Hell it's not like it's a long game anyway. It seemed like an average Zelda clone to begin with and as it went on it just pissed away all the goodwill.

Uhm. Okay. I'll rephrase: I wish I had that kind of time to piss away on things that I dislike and will eventually hate in retrospect.

Macmanus said:
Uhm. Okay. I'll rephrase: I wish I had that kind of time to piss away on things that I dislike and will eventually hate in retrospect.
i wish i had the precognition to only experience things i like.

guy tried the game, thought it was okay, hoped it would get better, and it didn't (for him). whats the confusion?

Swittcher

Banned
Finished it a little while ago, I had fun, but it was a little disappointing in plently of ways.

The
cutscene where War gets knowledge from the tree is probably one of the worst edited, and most confusing cutscenes
I've ever seen for a game that has a straight-forward story.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rabbitwork said:
also, has anyone received their copy of red faction: guerilla yet?

Not yet. They're probably going to send them all out en masse whenever they stop taking in codes.

Top Bottom