• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
aerial predator achievement aarrgh

it's damn hard to get this one, I always miss the achievement by 10 or 20 kills. I'm trying this on my apocalyptic second playthrough, maybe difficulty affects it. I've adjusted the aiming sensitivity so that I can paint faster, but man... what a bitch

Macmanus

Rabbitwork said:
i wish i had the precognition to only experience things i like.

guy tried the game, thought it was okay, hoped it would get better, and it didn't (for him). whats the confusion?

Because the mechanics and aesthetics don't change up one iota from the first few hours to the last few hours.

If you can't figure that out that simple formula, then you have a lot more issues than simply wasting time on actives you don't enjoy.

The story, game play, and level design is completely solidified within the first 3 hours. You don't need to be psychic to know what is coming next. You just need to avoid being brain dead. I mean Christ, this game follows a formula that is over a decade old. What the hell are you expecting? Why are you even wasting more of your time in a thread about a game that you hate?

Note: At no point did "guy" ever state he thought the game was "okay." That was just something you injected.

Owensboro

Got this from Gamefly last week. I finally popped it in and played it on Sunday. I played for 9 hours straight. Seriously, I haven't done that in forever. This game is spectacular, and a lot more fun the further you get into it (the more weapons and moves you get). This may be my "Batman: AA" for this year: The biggest and best surprise of the year. At least, it is for now.

tzare

i finished the game this weekend. I really enjoyed it. Maybe it needs a better pacing , it was a bit slow when i was about 10 hours into the game, but the latest stages were amazing (well, some of the puzzles a bit frustrating but nohing impossible :D )

I really loved the visual presentation, some of the settings(dunno if this is correct, not native english myself) really put you into a devastated and hostile earth , and the plot really picked up at the end. Really lookng forward the sequel and i hope the movie is well done. The universe is fantastic!

Owensboro said:
Got this from Gamefly last week. I finally popped it in and played it on Sunday. I played for 9 hours straight. Seriously, I haven't done that in forever. This game is spectacular, and a lot more fun the further you get into it (the more weapons and moves you get). This may be my "Batman: AA" for this year: The biggest and best surprise of the year. At least, it is for now.

I agree. I'm a very picky gamer (wish I wasn't). This game is my favorite in a while.

RPGCrazied

Thought I'd let people know that dont have it yet, newegg has got it for 39.99$.. free shipping too!

after playing the demo, I went ahead an bought it. Plus I hear there is a patch to fix some of the tech issues the 360 has.. bravo virgil

MoxManiac

RPGCrazied said:
Thought I'd let people know that dont have it yet, newegg has got it for 39.99$.. free shipping too!

after playing the demo, I went ahead an bought it. Plus I hear there is a patch to fix some of the tech issues the 360 has.. bravo virgil

Wish you had pointed out that it's the 360 version on sale, went all the way to the site just to see the PS3 version still at $57 :(

Macmanus said:
The story, game play, and level design is completely solidified within the first 3 hours.
disagree. the more i played the game the more i liked it. by hour 10 (I was playing for achievements as well so i did a lot of exploring) i was totally hooked. it took a good while however. i'm not the only person who's described their experience with darksiders in this manner so its not just me.

Macmanus said:
Why are you even wasting more of your time in a thread about a game that you hate?
because of the possibility of some game-changing mechanic or set piece to appear that will sway an opinion.

Macmanus said:
Note: At no point did "guy" ever state he thought the game was "okay." That was just something you injected.
note: it is reasonable to assume that when a person chooses to invest their time into a product, their opinion of that product at the very least is akin to "this looks okay enough for me to try"; as you stated, why bother playing something you hate? if the guy hated the game BEFORE playing it, why would he even try? he did however clearly state that he felt the game was a mediocre zelda clone; a.k.a "okay".

RPGCrazied

wait.. I thought this patch fixed the screen tearing in 360 version? I got game today, but its still present in these opening levels. :( The demo had none

Is it cause I have it installed?

RPGCrazied said:
wait.. I thought this patch fixed the screen tearing in 360 version? I got game today, but its still present in these opening levels. :( The demo had none

Is it cause I have it installed?

The tearing in the beginning of the game is terrible, its not as bad further into the game.

RPGCrazied

oh ok, so even with the patch.. there is still screen tearing? good to know, i thought maybe I didnt get the patch installed right

darkjedi187 said:
Has anyone got any new info on the free copy of Red Faction. I haven't received any info on it.

288w0ec.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Captain_Spanky said:
Played it, finished it, hated it. Utterly boring combat, boring puzzles, boring dungeons. Bosses were dull as hell, terrible enemy design in general.

Plot sucked (if War doesn't give a shit, why should I? It made less sense than Bayonetta.) Cool final line, but I spent the whole waiting for it to happen so blah. Just ugh...there was no...substance. It was like a beachball.

Too much busywork in general (yeah lets totally replicate the WORST part of Wind Waker). Puzzles that weren't even puzzles, more of a "follow the bouncing ball of switches" type thing. Just busywork and filler, like those shadow void combat arenas. And WAR WALKED TOO GODDAMN SLOW, which made going anywhere terribly frustrating.

None of the items really did anything, they were glorified keys. Ruin's chasm crossing thing: key, Earthmover: Key, Voidwalker: very fancy key, Mask Of Shadows: key to unlock seven locks. Lame.

Yeah I didn't like it at all. The only good thing about it is it made me appreciate Dante's Inferno more.

:lol

kamspy

Yeah I got mine too. They cut the UPC on RFG, so no returning it to Wal-Mart for something you don't already own.

Oh well. I'll trade it off if anyone wants it.

Which version is the best ? I heard that 360 version had tearing issues, but that it's been fixed, true ? What about the framerate though ?

DieH@rd

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Which version is the best ? I heard that 360 version had tearing issues, but that it's been fixed, true ? What about the framerate though ?

Framerates are stable on both versions, and x360 tearing issues are fixed. Chose any version, both are fine. If you want, head out to Digital Foundry and check comparisons of both version.

RPGCrazied

so I beat it today, 22hours(apocolptic*sp* mode) I thoroughly enjoyed it, except the last dungeon.. that felt like a chore. :(

Why no DLC? Would be cool to see maybe an DLC dungeon, where you get to use every item you got in teh game.

Also, I still got screen tearing after that patch, specially in the Ashlands(ugh!) So they didn't vsync it. If they did I wouldn't see any.

I'm sure a sequel is coming after that ending, can we play as Death next one? Please?

I just beat Tiamat, and when it seemed I was nearing the end of the battle I actually quit and re-did the battle because it was so fucking fun. What was cool was the second time I realized you could beat her without having to use the flames at all, simply with timing.

This is definitely in my Top 5 this gen.

After hearing surprising good buzz when this game came out i threw it on the gamefly queue and its been sitting on my desk for a while now as i worked through the slew of march releases. But i had some time today and decided to pop it in and check it out. I heard to give it a chance through the first castle, so i did that. Its started out "ok" but once the "zelda" like dungeons came into the game it really took off. I ended up knocking out 10-11 hours today. I just finished killing the
giant worm and now started the spider dungeon

It clearly lifts a lot from other successful games but once i got into it i have been surprised at how addicting the game has been. I think the key to its success is the dungeon designs. If it didn't have this, the combat alone wouldn't be able to carry the game. But having this mix, plus the tried and true new items, go hunting for items all over the place, really kept me locked in for a much longer stretch than i was anticipating.

I guess i'm about halfway through, and i'm looking forward to getting the next item. Its been taunting me through most of the game!

yencid

Ill probably be in the minority here but... After beating both this and GOW3, while god of war 3 was epic and beautiful and all... i loved darksiders so much more.

kamspy

Rabbitwork said:
thats putting it mildly. looks like a maniac with a spoon stabbed the back of my case.

Yeah. I haven't even opened mine. I bought it for $5 from D2D a while back. I hear the console version have some tearing. Tearing is an unforgivable sin in my gaming book. I sold Uncharted 1 because of screen tearing.

RFG comes shipped straight from Technicolor Replication services, so don't think you're being sent a review copy of Iron Man 2 or anything when it shows up in the mail.

My one beef with Darksiders is that the economy is pretty broken. If you want to be able to afford every upgrade in the game, you'll have to grind for like 10 hours after beating it. New Game+ shoulda included all of your upgrades (except for the ones used for story progression), not just the Abyssal Armor.

Paraclete

Banned
yencid said:
Ill probably be in the minority here but... After beating both this and GOW3, while god of war 3 was epic and beautiful and all... i loved darksiders so much more.
Not in the minority at all. GoW3 IMO was overhyped and pretty boring. Sure it had some of the best graphics this gen, but it was forgettable. Honestly, I beat it 2 days ago, and I can't remember any cool parts of it.

Darksiders on the other hand...AMAZIN! I replayed it 3 times over the course of 2 months and it never got stale for me.

As for the Hellbook/Red Faction dealy:

The Hellbook basically looked identical to the manual that came with the game, just a few more illustrations inside. Otherwise it had some nice wallpapers/trailers/cinematics.
And yea, the UPC being cut was annoying, but Gamestop still took it for trade in :lol

badcrumble said:
My one beef with Darksiders is that the economy is pretty broken. If you want to be able to afford every upgrade in the game, you'll have to grind for like 10 hours after beating it. New Game+ shoulda included all of your upgrades (except for the ones used for story progression), not just the Abyssal Armor.
Yeah I kind of agree, oh well

Meier

Wow, Straga was super easy. This game is too damn long though...Came back to it after awhile away and it just feels neverending.

jonabbey

yencid said:

The combat in GOW3 feels tepid to me after Darksiders. It's frustrating not feeling the controller *thunk* when I attack someone.

Meier said:
Wow, Straga was super easy. This game is too damn long though...Came back to it after awhile away and it just feels neverending.
:lol imagine that. have to agree though. nowadays, i like my games a bit shorter. Don't let the devs hear it though :p

Meier

Always-honest said:
:lol imagine that. have to agree though. nowadays, i like my games a bit shorter. Don't let the devs hear it though :p
Typically I don't mind a somewhat lengthy game but this one feels like it's dragging a bit. I really like the puzzles and have enjoyed the new elements that are introduced over time, but at this point it's feeling mighty repetitious since the combat sequences can take quite awhile and don't offer much variety.

Meier said:
Typically I don't mind a somewhat lengthy game but this one feels like it's dragging a bit. I really like the puzzles and have enjoyed the new elements that are introduced over time, but at this point it's feeling mighty repetitious since the combat sequences can take quite awhile and don't offer much variety.

true. still. good game overall. try some different weapons for variety (i didn't)

NinjaBoiX

nacire said:
It stands for Universal Product Code and is the label on the back of products that is composed of a white box, black lines and numbers.

*beaten

Oh right, to stop you trading it in I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
-NinjaBoiX- said:
Oh right, to stop you trading it in I guess.

That won't stop a trade in. More likely to stop resales. As in, some sort of retailer getting a bunch of these and selling them for full price.

NinjaBoiX

ZealousD said:
That won't stop a trade in. More likely to stop resales. As in, some sort of retailer getting a bunch of these and selling them for full price.

Really? Most shops I go to scan that code to give you a value. I was told that a bundle copy of forza 2/lego indy couldn't be traded for this exact reason.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
-NinjaBoiX- said:
Really? Most shops I go to scan that code to give you a value. I was told that a bundle copy of forza 2/lego indy couldn't be traded for this exact reason.

Uhhhh.. which store was this?

You can trade games in to GameStop even if you don't have a case and still get the normal value.

KevinCow

Banned
ZealousD said:
Uhhhh.. which store was this?

You can trade games in to GameStop even if you don't have a case and still get the normal value.

They actually give you less credit if you don't have the case, I think it was 80% last I checked. Of course they still sell it at the normal used price after they throw it into one of their shitty cases with one of those ugly cover slips.

Picked up the game this weekend, and have been loving it so far. However, I think I just encountered a big physics bug. In Hollows, where you have to move the train car, mine hit the post and got pushed off the tracks. Now there is no way I can push it back on, or into the tunnel to proceed. My last hard save is just after the spar with Ulthane. Is there anyway I can reset the room (tried reloading, and unfortunately the autosave still has the train car off the tracks), or should I just swallow the progress and reload from Ulthane?

Shadowmancer said:
Picked up the game this weekend, and have been loving it so far. However, I think I just encountered a big physics bug. In Hollows, where you have to move the train car, mine hit the post and got pushed off the tracks. Now there is no way I can push it back on, or into the tunnel to proceed. My last hard save is just after the spar with Ulthane. Is there anyway I can reset the room (tried reloading, and unfortunately the autosave still has the train car off the tracks), or should I just swallow the progress and reload from Ulthane?
Maybe if you use Vulgrim to telport away and then back, the world will reset.

Neuromancer said:
Maybe if you use Vulgrim to telport away and then back, the world will reset.

I'd love to do that, except I'm in a dungeon, and this puzzle is the only way I can see to get out of it. I understand that the designers wanted the world to feel more 'real', but I just wish they'd made it like Zelda where the puzzles reset every time you walked out a door.

Top Bottom