• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Neuromancer said:
Oh... I thought you could still leave though. Does it remember if you save and quit out of the game altogether?

Yup, it still remembers. And if there is some way to warp out of a dungeon, someone let me know.

xBigDanx

Got a question about the big worm you fight in the sand:

I am fighting him after I got ruin back.. so I'm on the horse. I've tried probably 20 times with no idea what to do... well, I do know I'm supposed to lock on to the spot in his mouth and shoot him with something. So I've checked FAQs and they all say to use the gun. But I don't have the gun yet, I dont think? Do I? Did I need to buy that and I havent bought it yet?

please hlep because I'm loving the game, I'm just so frustrated now I'm ready to move on

Man, I didn't know jack about this game until I stumbled upon the thread today. This sounds right up my alley. What's the final word on 360/PS3? The OP mentions a tearing issue in the 360 version; was that ever patched?

Magik

xBigDanx said:
Got a question about the big worm you fight in the sand:

I am fighting him after I got ruin back.. so I'm on the horse. I've tried probably 20 times with no idea what to do... well, I do know I'm supposed to lock on to the spot in his mouth and shoot him with something. So I've checked FAQs and they all say to use the gun. But I don't have the gun yet, I dont think? Do I? Did I need to buy that and I havent bought it yet?

please hlep because I'm loving the game, I'm just so frustrated now I'm ready to move on

You get the gun from the Blacksmith.

forrest

formerly nacire
Parallax Scroll said:
Man, I didn't know jack about this game until I stumbled upon the thread today. This sounds right up my alley. What's the final word on 360/PS3? The OP mentions a tearing issue in the 360 version; was that ever patched?

Yup the game was patched for 360. I'd say both versions are very close to one another. Also the game will be releasing for PC in June.

DieH@rd

Banned
MINIMUM
Connectivity: Online Steam account
Sound : 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or equivalent onboard sound
DirectX : DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive Space: 12GB
Operating System: Windows XP SP3, Vista SP1, Windows 7
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz or better, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz Processor or better
RAM: 1GB XP, 2GB Vista / Windows 7
Video Card: NVIDIA (GeForce 8800/GeForce GT220) 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon X1900 256MB graphics card or better (must support pixel shader 3)

OPTIMUM
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or equivalent onboard sound
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
RAM: 2GB XP, 3GB Vista / Windows 7
Video Card: NVIDIA (GeForce GTS 240) 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD3870 256MB graphics card or better (must support pixel shader 3)

Not bad, i haz 4670. It will be more than playable.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
CabbageRed said:
Wow, nice systems requirements. If those optimal settings are on the nose, then this port may be of Capcom-level quality.

Vigil's technical team seem to be very good at platform portability.

yencid

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
How hard is it to platinum this game?
You're going to have to grind to get all of the power ups for sure.

after you clear most areas there arent going to be too many enemies.

legbone

it is not too difficult to platinum. more time consuming than anything. you have to grind the weapons to level them up. just make sure and play on hard the first time through so you don't have to play through twice. and if i remember right, there are two (maybe three) you can miss and never get again until the next playthrough.

DieH@rd said:
MINIMUM
Sound : 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or equivalent onboard sound
DirectX : DirectX 9.0c
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz or better, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz Processor or better
RAM: 1GB XP, 2GB Vista / Windows 7
Video Card: NVIDIA (GeForce 8800/GeForce GT220) 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon X1900 256MB graphics card or better (must support pixel shader 3)

OPTIMUM
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or equivalent onboard sound
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
RAM: 2GB XP, 3GB Vista / Windows 7
Video Card: NVIDIA (GeForce GTS 240) 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD3870 256MB graphics card or better (must support pixel shader 3)

Not bad, i haz 4670. It will be more than playable.

Steamworks and very low sytem requirements? Interest rising.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Playing this with performance that doesn't make me wretch might actually make me appreciate this game a little more.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ick...there's no way i can bring myself to finish this game. I've already died countless times due to the extremely unintuitive controls. The whole lock-on, and dodge in this game just feels way too sloppy. Im playing on the hardest difficulty first to get that out of the way and im just not having fun at all.

xclaw

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
ick...there's no way i can bring myself to finish this game. I've already died countless times due to the extremely unintuitive controls. The whole lock-on, and dodge in this game just feels way too sloppy. Im playing on the hardest difficulty first to get that out of the way and im just not having fun at all.

I'm having the same problem, however I can tell you that it gets better as you unlock more powers.... but I'm starting to think starting on the hardest difficulty was a mistake. I'd probably enjoy it a little more if I wasn't always dying.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Hmm... The game's too hard... But you picked the hardest difficulty... Sorry man, I just can't bring myself to feel bad for you.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Neuromancer said:
Hmm... The game's too hard... But you picked the hardest difficulty... Sorry man, I just can't bring myself to feel bad for you.

Wasn't asking you to, so no harm done.

I beat games on the hardest difficulty all the time, so its not the difficulty that's the issue. You have to hold L2 to lock on, and then R1 and sideways to whip around and dodge when you're being attacked, and your attacks are square. I find myself far too often mis-hitting buttons and getting clobbered because it just doesnt feel natural at all.

I hope that for the sequel they do a better job with that, or at least make it more customizeable.

agrajag

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Wasn't asking you to, so no harm done.

I beat games on the hardest difficulty all the time, so its not the difficulty that's the issue. You have to hold L2 to lock on, and then R1 and sideways to whip around and dodge when you're being attacked, and your attacks are square. I find myself far too often mis-hitting buttons and getting clobbered because it just doesnt feel natural at all.

I hope that for the sequel they do a better job with that, or at least make it more customizeable.

The only place this was an issue for me was the first boss, the bat demon. At times I was really clamoring for wiimote aiming in this game.

Anyway, I just finished this game, finally. It seems kind of like the developers phoned in the last third of the game, or so. It felt rushed. And the difficulty progression is kind of odd: the bosses get easier the further you progress.
Straga and Abbaddon are the two weakest bosses in the game, wtf?

My only other gripe is the voice acting for War. The voice sounds whiny and devoid of personality, just doesn't match the character at all.

Great game nevertheless, I can't wait for the sequel.

I've had this game in my backlog for quite sometime and out of boredom started it up and finished with
releasing Samael from Prison.
Pretty damn fun! Does anyone else think it has some of the better voice actings in quite some time?

yencid

Square Triangle said:
I've had this game in my backlog for quite sometime and out of boredom started it up and finished with
Pretty damn fun! Does anyone else think it has some of the better voice actings in quite some time?
ME ME ME! acting reminded me of soul reaver

Square Triangle said:
Pretty damn fun! Does anyone else think it has some of the better voice actings in quite some time?[/\QUOTE]
it's no Mike Patton, but yeah, pretty good

Verapamil

Banned
Just fired this up last night on the PS3. About an hour into it and just met the vendor.

Kinda meh, but I know the game hasn't really opened up yet.

I have the ps3 version and got to
Ulthane
. Once I heard a pc version was coming I put the ps3 version aside. It'll probably be traded soon.

Coldsnap

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Just hang in there, on the hardest difficulty the first parts of the game are the hardest due to you not having a lot of abilities. Later on in the game you unlock abilities that pretty much break the combat

Amory

Finally getting a chance to play this, got it from Gamefly yesterday. I'm absolutely loving it so far. Still feels really God of War-ish to me, but little zelda mechanics are being inserted in periodically. Really looking forward to playing more tonight.

yamo

Anyone else having problem with the game freezing for 1-2sec randomly every now and then? I'm playing the ps3 version and it's starting to get kinda annoying, totally ruins the immersion. :(

Awesome game otherwise, love the story and action so far! Just picked up the horse and killed the
worm boss

I've had this game since the first month it was out, finally got to starting it yesterday while slimming down my backlog (only 4 left!). I like the game a lot! I turned subtitles off cuz they distract me, but some of the demons are hard to understand, I wasn't sure what Tiamat was saying half the time. I know Mark Hammil is The Watcher but it sounds like he voices one of the other demons too, either Vulgrim or Samael, I can't remember.

I like Joe Madureira's artwork on paper but I don't know if it translated to 3D well, War has weird proportions which reminds me of Gears of War characters.

I'm playing on 360 and it's like there aren't enough buttons on the controller, I'm still getting used to RB to dodge, RS to zoom, hold LT while zooming to mark multiple targets, hold RT while doing that to charge the glaive. It's not bad, but not easy to do these actions quickly in the heat of battle yet. I'm sure I'll get used to it, I'm only like 2 hours in, just beat the first dungeon.

I really like being overpowered in games so I can't wait until I get more abilities. People say the combat becomes broken? AWESOME

Started my 2nd playthrough last night with the Abyssal Armor and on easy so I'm just crushing everyone. Oh man it's so much fun, I forgot how good this game was. Only assy part is the Abyssal Armor doesn't show in cutscenes. =\

ZealousD

Gryphter said:
I know Mark Hammil is The Watcher but it sounds like he voices one of the other demons too, either Vulgrim or Samael, I can't remember.

You're probably thinking of Vulgrim, but that's actually Phil LaMarr.

hey guys/gals i got this game recently and just about to fight the destroyer. is there a good place to grind to get souls/max out weapons? ive just been teleporting to various places and fighting.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
there are several rooms in SILITHA's dungeon that contain the baby spiders...they're easy to kill and get what you need.

ja30278

goldenticket said:
hey guys/gals i got this game recently and just about to fight the destroyer. is there a good place to grind to get souls/max out weapons? ive just been teleporting to various places and fighting.

This probably isn't necessary. The destroyer isn't substantially harder than any other boss in the game, so unless you really _want_ to grind, I wouldn't.

thanks guys for the input. yeah i found a good baby spider spt.

question. can i still get the Strife's Offering or is it too late like the Fury's Embrace (beat straga already). ive read its in the ashlands and i know the room/area it is but i dont know how to get there and i havent been able to find anything online on how to get there.

EDIT also whos the guy in the top act that talks with an accent that pops up now and then? ive fought him 3 times. does he end up giving you something?

ZealousD

goldenticket said:
EDIT also whos the guy in the top act that talks with an accent that pops up now and then? ive fought him 3 times. does he end up giving you something?

The zombie with the top hat? He's just an easter egg. Only gives souls when you beat him.

This game would be a lot better with new game+ that carried over more than just the Abyssal Armor since it's basically impossible to actually max out your special moves without like 20 hours of dull postgame grinding (even more painful because there are so few enemies postgame). Carrying over Abyssal Armor, all of your potion/essence crystals, and all of your Wrath moves (however they're upgraded) would be kinda nice. I don't understand why this part of the game was so badly thought out, the rest of it is terrifically fun, but it really ought to be possible to max out your character. A New Game+ patch would totally get me to replay it again (and would prevent me from reselling the game now that I've been done with it for a while, imo).

Shuusui

Now that my semester is over, I can attack my backlog!

This was the first game I went to. I just got the the forge and had a friendly competition -- grinning the entire way. This is the next-gen Legacy of Kain game I never got.... sans the epic dialogue, of course.

Top Bottom