• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ShinAmano

Thanks KevinCow...that answered most of my questions...one more is the
portal to the black throne still active where it was originally
or am I out of luck if I missed something there?

ArjanN

DieH@rd said:
hdn, is it really true? Pushed back to september?

THQ's site still mentions only June release.

Steam says september. Which kinda sucks, I was ready for this to come out, and it's not like there a lot of competition right now.

KevinCow

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Thanks KevinCow...that answered most of my questions...one more is the
portal to the black throne still active where it was originally
or am I out of luck if I missed something there?

Still active.
You can go back to Eden too, even though they said explicitly otherwise.

There are like three places in the game where they say, "Are you sure you want to leave? If you leave here you won't be able to get back! I'm serious!" They're all lying.

ShinAmano

KevinCow said:
Still active.
You can go back to Eden too, even though they said explicitly otherwise.

There are like three places in the game where they say, "Are you sure you want to leave? If you leave here you won't be able to get back! I'm serious!" They're all lying.
Lol...I scoured the spoiler area a couple times after that warning. :lol

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Unfortunately yes, it has been moved to early September. We ended up doing more work on it than expected.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
vader_nooo_joy2.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, that's certainly disappointing, considering I had just cleared enough room in my backlog to play some new games this summer. Ho well, Holiday sale it is.

Vice

I think I encountered a glitch. I'm at the entrance of
The Aslands, the tunnel right after the Dry Road to be precise,
with the ceiling monster and the cube. The problem is I decided to take a break after getting there and when I decided to play again the cube was gone. Does anyoen know what I'm supposed to do to fix this?

Edit: I'm playing the 360 version if that matters.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just got this game, really loving it. I didn't think too much about it before hand, but playing it I'm getting a huge Soul Reaver feel.

I know a lot of people say "Zelda", but I guess Soul Reaver and Zelda are similar too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So I lost my code for Red Faction, and JUST found it cleaning my room. Is the free red faction w/ darksiders code still being offered? or am I SOL? :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bad_Boy said:
So I lost my code for Red Faction, and JUST found it cleaning my room. Is the free red faction w/ darksiders code still being offered? or am I SOL? :(

Yeah you're SOL. The offer expired months ago.

Truant

So I picked up where I left and after an hour I got to the giant teleporting spider. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Sorry, Vigil. I'm out again :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Truant said:
So I picked up where I left and after an hour I got to the giant teleporting spider. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Sorry, Vigil. I'm out again :(

:lol

It wasn't THAT bad. I actually beat that bitch the first go around.

Sanic

I just played the demo and it was pretty enjoyable, although I hate the overall aesthetic/theme :/ Tell me that the dungeons become a bit more visually varied, and challenging?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Didn't buy the first one day one, but after beating this game today, I will buy part 2 day 1. A great first effort for a franchise.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pandoracell said:
I just played the demo and it was pretty enjoyable, although I hate the overall aesthetic/theme :/ Tell me that the dungeons become a bit more visually varied, and challenging?

The dungeons are fucking huge and awesome. I loved all of them to be honest.

Sydle

Pandoracell said:

The game has a lot of variety from deserts to caves to castles to lava pits to flooded tunnels to spider-infested ruins and much more. There isn't much repitition at all.

Put the game on hard or apocolyptic if it's too easy for you, but be warned that you're setting yourself up for a few one-hit kills and some incredibly tough fights later on.

Started playing this just this weekend. I'm up to the first dungeon
Twilight Cathedral
, but I seem to be stuck just past the bit where the game sort of "explains" how the crystal sword/statue puzzles work. In the next chamber
(with the altar and the huge tentacle/bell thing hanging from the ceiling), I turn right, battle my way through the halls, got the map and wind up back in the same room on a high walkway to the right. On this balcony/walkway, there's a chest and to my left is the huge hanging... thing.

I tried jumping across to the other side and I've tried attacking the hanging thing, but I keep falling down. What am I supposed to do here?

ZealousD

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Started playing this just this weekend. I'm up to the first dungeon
Twilight Cathedral
, but I seem to be stuck just past the bit where the game sort of "explains" how the crystal sword/statue puzzles work. In the next chamber
(with the altar and the huge tentacle/bell thing hanging from the ceiling), I turn right, battle my way through the halls, got the map and wind up back in the same room on a high walkway to the right. On this balcony/walkway, there's a chest and to my left is the huge hanging... thing.

I tried jumping across to the other side and I've tried attacking the hanging thing, but I keep falling down. What am I supposed to do here?

If memory serves, and it has been awhile, you're suppose to hit the hanging creature with some bomb growths, which is actually a few steps ahead of where you actually are. I think what you need to do first is push a statue off one of the balconies in one of the outside rooms.

ZealousD said:
If memory serves, and it has been awhile, you're suppose to hit the hanging creature with some bomb growths, which is actually a few steps ahead of where you actually are. I think what you need to do first is push a statue off one of the balconies in one of the outside rooms.
I saw the bomb growths on the other side there, so I figured out the first part, but I'll check out the pushing a statue over thing in the outside room. Thanks.

Midna Watcher should have let me know that I could interact with the thing as I walked past, I think.

Sanic

Alright I purchased it. I'm about an hour and a half in, but i'm concerned that it's going to be way too combat focused for me. I'm just rushing towards the first dungeon at this point, as i'm tired of mashing through waves of enemies. In spite of that, I am liking what i'm seeing, and the combat is pretty enjoyable, there's just too much of it :).

Via Joystiq:

Sure, you might have liked Darksiders well enough, but we know what you really wanted from the game: your very own War to lead his own tiny Apocalypse into your living room. THQ is obliging this desire with a line of Darksiders merchandise produced in collaboration with partners in the publishing and toy industries.

Udon Entertainment is producing an Art of Darksiders book featuring "a comprehensive collection of concept art from the game, including original artwork from creative director and comic book legend, Joe Madureira." And SOTA Toys will release a 14" doll action figure statue of War and his horse Ruin. SOTA says that this is just the first item in an eventual Darksiders line.

Both of these items will debut at Comic-Con, which takes place from July 22-25. Preorders for the statue will open on SOTA's site at the same time.
The statue sounds badass, just hope it's not too much $$$.

The PC version being delayed has really bummed me. I was gonna wait for it, but the 360 version is knocking around second hand for £10, so I'm gonna get that this week.

Tokubetsu said:
That artbook is so mine. Wish I was going to SDCC.

I just got this game, I am kicking my self for passing on this title. People said it's like Zelda and I am not really a Zelda fan so I didn't pick it up. The combat is fun and the puzzle is easy enough for someone like me who just not into the puzzle and platform stuff. (Jumping bit still annoy me to know end, I hate jumping platforms).

Anyway it was on sale last week at my local stores for $25.00 so I pick it up and wow the game is really good. I also really like the artworks. Too bad they only offer it at SDCC and I am not going this year due to school and work. They should really attend PAX! (So if you work on the Artbook, please consider PAX!!, the convention is full of people who love video games)

Anyway, back to beat the first boss. Oh game auto save feature mess me up last night and I have to redo a section...grr.

Feindflug

Is there any info about a dlc or something? I want more Darksiders and the sequel is planned as a 2012 release...I just love this game.

Also the PC version is a day one purchase as was the 360 version, studios like Vigil deserve the support. :)

soldat7

I hate to be 'that guy', but which version is the best? From the OP:

Q | Should I get the 360 or PS3 version?
A | It'll depend on your individual preferences. The PS3 version is a bit washed out when compared to the Xbox 360 version, a common difference for most PS3 multiplatform games. However, the 360 version suffers from some very bad screen tearing. The developers are working on a patch to resolve the tearing issues, but if you want to buy the game now and hate tearing, get it on PS3.

Is this still true? Does the PS3 version look a bit washed out and does the 360 version tear like a banshee? Thanks!

Just about done playing it on the 360 and I loved every second of it.

I started playing it on Apocalypse so it busted my ass sometimes but just a challenge and not too difficult.

I definitely get the Zelda comparisons but for me, what it reminds me of the most is the the first Soul Reaver game.

The puzzles and the "cool" characters...love, love, love this game.

Hopefully we get a sequel or atleast more from Vigil.

Feindflug

soldat7 said:

Is this still true? Does the PS3 version look a bit washed out and does the 360 version tear like a banshee? Thanks!

Both versions are nearly identical graphically and the v-sync issue on the 360 was fixed with a patch after a week so don't worry about the massive tearing, the game plays great on both platforms.

Just get the game it's awesome. :)

ZealousD

soldat7 said:

A patch fixed the 360 version's tearing. The color differences are very minor. They're basically identical. Go with your controller/whorepoint preference.

Mikey Jr.

Just beat this game.

Wow.

Seriously, they did a terrible job marketing this. Everyone I know thought it was just God of War. I thought so too.

Then I saw it for 30 bucks and thought, what the hell.

Wow, game blew my socks off. Its not as puzzle heavy as a Zelda, but has a nice amount. The combat feels great, and the locales are nice and diverse. Favourite level was the ashlands. Plus, riding that horse and killing dudes on it felt great.

There were a few problems here and there. Would have liked to see a toggle for the lock on; ruin the horse kinda pissed me off sometimes with his movement; climbing on those vines could sometimes be unwieldy; serpent lane kinda sucked. I know it was meant to mask load times and have you do something while it was loading, but running wasn't it. Should give me that time to practice my moves on a dummy or something, kinda like what Bayonetta does.

Also, allow me to teleport to Vulgrim from anywhere. Collecting something, then having to backtrack ALL the way to Vulgrim through a level sucked. Give me an option to teleport to the nearest Vulgrim location.

Anyways, just some minor nitpicks in an amazing game. Good job guys! You have another official fan.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had a few problems, but in a sentence it can mostly be summed up by:

All the environments felt, tonally, exactly the same, despite some aesthetic differences.

I managed to pick this up second hand for £6. Lush.

I just finished the first dungeon, the Twilight Cathedral, and so far I'm having a lot of fun with it. It is an absolute Zelda homage, but the difference in tone is enough to seperate it from that franchise and seem somewhat fresh, regardless of it consisting entirely from borrowed ideas.

I already know that I'll see absolutely nothing new in this game, but that's okay. Sometimes it's good just to take mechanics that work and do your thing with them.

greenslusi

Neo Member
I picked up this game based on some of the positive reviews posted on GAF. I am glad I did I enjoyed the game immensely kind of reminded me of the spawn comic book series.

K' Dash

just picked it up, i really really hate the character design and most of the art, but really really love everything else, really enjoying it.

Sagitario

Well, just started this after finishing Bayonetta and I kept trying to play it as such :lol

I'm getting used to the controls but there are definitely some weird choices in the button actions so far [LB, RB, D-pad mostly]...
I wish the game had a mode to practice combos, not a huge fan of the combat right now, I guess I just need to get used to it...

So far, is definitely more God of War than Zelda :p

Anyway, any tips/advices? I mean, should I save the blue souls for something specific? Is there anything I should buy/upgrade ASAP? Soul farming?

K' Dash said:
just picked it up, i really really hate the character design and most of the art, but really really love everything else, really enjoying it.

Yep, there is something about the skulls and zombies that bother me...

Chris_C

I picked this up last week and so far I'm really digging it. I was one of those who thought it looked like another God of War clone based on early footage (first impressions and all that) but picked it up since I couldn't get a hold of Red Dead Redemption.

Thoughts so far:

- I actually think the God of War team could learn a lot from this game, I loved GOW III, but the puzzles and exploration in that series leave a lot to be desired, Darksiders does a great job in that department.

- Definite Soul Reaver vibe, from the exploration to the puzzles and voice acting. That said, the story isn't as gripping or intricate as that in the Soul Reaver series.

- Love the environmental design and the design for enemies and NPC's is fun, however, War himself is just not very well designed. There's a line of thinking in character design that says a good character can be identified by his silhouette alone, War is just far too busy. His face, which is meant to be mysterious, just comes across as expressionless and uninteresting, the blue arc on his forehead looks like an afterthought.

Additionally, he's just too squat and wide, taking up too much of the visible screen real estate. Early on I kept wishing there was a way to pull the camera back so I could see more rather than have the main character taking up 25% of the screen.

- Combat is fun and visceral, puzzles are wonderfully balanced, not Uncharted/God of War easy, and not Soul Reaver 2 mind bendingly difficult.

I'm not done with the game yet though, just got to the place with the
giant Dune-like sand worms

My favorite experience so far? Meeting
Ulthane.

trejo

Hey hdn, if I could just make a suggestion. For the sequel, can you guys do something about War's design? Something more akin to human proportions instead of a hulking mass of armor with ridiculously overzised limbs? That's my one gripe with the art direction in the game.

Other than that, congratulations. You guys seriously hit it out of the park.

trejo said:
Hey hdn, if I could just make a suggestion. For the sequel, can you guys do something about War's design? Something more akin to human proportions instead of a hulking mass of armor with ridiculously overzised limbs? That's my one gripe with the art direction in the game.

Other than that, congratulations. You guys seriously hit it out of the park.

What? I love the art design. But I'm a huge Joe Mad fan, so I am biased.
Takes me back to Battlechasers and how he abandoned his fans. Issue 11...:'(

trejo

itsnervedamage said:
What? I love the art design. But I'm a huge Joe Mad fan, so I am biased.
Takes me back to Battlechasers and how he abandoned his fans. Issue 11...:'(

The art design is great! Problem is, the main character, the one you'll be looking at for the duration of the game, looks ridiculous. And as another poster mentioned before, he takes too much screen space due to his uh, girth. He is totally the art design's weakest link.

Count me in for liking War's design. Yeah it's ridiculous and over the top but that's what makes it fun. I do however expect a Link skin for Darksiders 2 (courtesy of Penny Arcade):

760209482_uut3K-O.jpg

Top Bottom