• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

MoxManiac

Feindflug said:
Both versions are nearly identical graphically and the v-sync issue on the 360 was fixed with a patch after a week so don't worry about the massive tearing, the game plays great on both platforms.

Just get the game it's awesome. :)

This just makes it harder, with both versions being identical I don't know which one to get :(

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
trejo,

the art direction is completely subjective. Joe is our Creative Director, and sets the visual style for everything we do. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but that's the way Joe sees him.

H

hdn said:
trejo,

the art direction is completely subjective. Joe is our Creative Director, and sets the visual style for everything we do. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but that's the way Joe sees him.

H

I <3 Joe Mad's artwook, I'm a bigtime fanboy!

Do you know if Joe will be at SDCC everyday so I can get an autographed artbook?

I'm only able to attend Day 1 (Thursday).

Corto

trejo said:
The art design is great! Problem is, the main character, the one you'll be looking at for the duration of the game, looks ridiculous. And as another poster mentioned before, he takes too much screen space due to his uh, girth. He is totally the art design's weakest link.

Pestilence, death and famine, the last one specially, will take less space I think... :D I like the deformed, over-the-top design of War, it should be expected that a mythic figure impersonating WAR itself to be an huge, deformed, exaggerated figure. At least in this kind of art direction.

About halfway through the game I think. Just finished the
Ashlands
and really liking the game so far. Combat is fun and the dungeons are really solid. Gameplay just clicks.

Some small critiques. As some one mentioned before I wish there was a way to teleport to Vulgrim locations. Hate having to backtrack 5 - 10 minutes to Vulgrim, only to have to travel another 15 to access that one location where my new weapon / accessory has now given me access to.

Second, I wish the Watcher gave a vague hint or two in some of the puzzle rooms. I know it's a little bit of a fine between just right and too much handholding, but I hate spending 10 - 15 minutes in a room unable to figure out a puzzle solution when there's a switch on a wall I missed somewhere. When I hit select for the Watcher's advice, I hate that he only say's something to the effect of "hurry up and kill the boss so we can get out of here". To be fair it's only happened once or twice but if the Watcher also provided some hint or visual clue to assist when you get stuck would be clutch. This is only amplified by the fact that he is really quick to point out most bosses weak spot but is more often than not worthless in the dungeons.

I have been playing this for a while on and off. It has been mostly enjoyable. I am at the
Black Throne
about how much longer do I have?

Corto

Sir Garbageman said:
About halfway through the game I think. Just finished the
Ashlands
and really liking the game so far. Combat is fun and the dungeons are really solid. Gameplay just clicks.

Some small critiques. As some one mentioned before I wish there was a way to teleport to Vulgrim locations. Hate having to backtrack 5 - 10 minutes to Vulgrim, only to have to travel another 15 to access that one location where my new weapon / accessory has now given me access to.

...play a little longer. ;)

edit: sorry, but you'll gain the abbility to teleport from Vulgrim location to another Vulgrim location... not what you meant sorry.

KevinCow

Banned
Anerythristic said:
I have been playing this for a while on and off. It has been mostly enjoyable. I am at the
Black Throne
about how much longer do I have?

You're pretty close to the end of the game. Only a couple things left after you finish that. It's a really long dungeon, though.

Sagitario

I suck at dual-analog controls, I didn't not enjoy at all the flying stage before the Twilight Cathedral :(

Finished the first dungeon [well, almost, just need to kill the boss, but I don't think it will be easy because of, well, dual-analog and that :p]
I really really liked the dungeon, I'm guessing they only get better, right? :D

I still wish for less fighting or at least fewer enemies (or a faster way of kill them), for example, I can't counter [RB] because there is so much blocking my view that sometimes I don't know what hit me or where it came from, and because of that I'm losing way to much health :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Count me in for liking War's design and Darksider's art direction in general. As strange as it might sound, it's a breath of fresh air. It's gritty, dark, and twisted without being drab and desaturated dirty "extreme/dudebro/Saw". The art harkens back to comic art from the 90s - the good stuff.

And really, it's what a ton of later video game art /tried/ to copy the aesthetic of but failed miserably, instead looking generic and trying too hard to look "bad ass" without any creativity or vibrancy.

Sagitario said:
I suck at dual-analog controls, I didn't not enjoy at all the flying stage before the Twilight Cathedral :(

Finished the first dungeon [well, almost, just need to kill the boss, but I don't think it will be easy because of, well, dual-analog and that :p]
I really really liked the dungeon, I'm guessing they only get better, right? :D

I still wish for less fighting or at least fewer enemies (or a faster way of kill them), for example, I can't counter [RB] because there is so much blocking my view that sometimes I don't know what hit me or where it came from, and because of that I'm losing way to much health :p
Don't even bother countering is my advice, use the RB and the left analog stick to dash around wildly away from enemies when you get surrounded. Also do you have the scythe yet? That has an ability to throw it around you in a circle, giving you some space. You may have to upgrade it.

Sagitario

It's what I do, DASH DASH DASH :p
Thanks, I wont bother countering...

I've the unlocked/upgraded Death's scythe, does it really give a soul bonus? If it does, do I have to kill the enemy with it or can I finish the enemy with the sword after using it once? Same question for the EXP. that weapons get...

Loxley

trejo said:
The art design is great! Problem is, the main character, the one you'll be looking at for the duration of the game, looks ridiculous. And as another poster mentioned before, he takes too much screen space due to his uh, girth. He is totally the art design's weakest link.

That's...sort of Joe Mad's style,"girthy" dudes.

For the record I'm sort of a Joe Madureira fanboi, so I have some bias ;) But that's just the guy's style, he draws War the same way he'd draw Thor (if Thor wore assloads of armor, that is). I'd just say pull the camera back a bit more in Darksiders 2 :D

Sagitario said:
It's what I do, DASH DASH DASH :p
Thanks, I wont bother countering...

I've the unlocked/upgraded Death's scythe, does it really give a soul bonus? If it does, do I have to kill the enemy with it or can I finish the enemy with the sword after using it once? Same question for the EXP. that weapons get...
Hmmm I think the soul bonus is automatic with the scythe but to be honest it's been a while. And I think when you use War's finishing move, you still get EXP for the weapon you were using before. So if you kill someone 99% with the scythe, then hit the button for the finishing move and War uses his sword, it should still give you EXP for the scythe.

tomedo

Got this for 13 EUR from play.com sometime ago (360). Price has gone up to 21 EUR but its definitely worth it. Euro-gaf go get.

I love the art style, non cel-shaded comic book style looks great.

K' Dash

My GOD, I just finished this, God, oh God, I came in expecting a Zelda clone, and I was wrong, it was SO AWESOME, takes the right things from the right games, I can't believe I almost passed it up.

And the ending! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!11! I need a sequel NAW, fuck shit, I can't believe it yet, I'm shocked, I need... I need some water....

If you haven't played it yet, go fucking do it now!!!!

Sanic

I must say, gameplay outside of the dungeons is really not that fun for me at all, as it feels like 70% combat and 30% platforming/world event. So, too much combat. And
those combat room-esque things you must complete before you can pass through the large stone creatures. Ugh, terrible filler.

Pandoracell said:
I must say, gameplay outside of the dungeons is really not that fun for me at all, as it feels like 70% combat and 30% platforming/world event. So, too much combat. And
those combat room-esque things you must complete before you can pass through the large stone creatures. Ugh, terrible filler.
Yeah I could have done without those, especially on my second playthrough now.

ymmv

Banned
Pandoracell said:

I thught those combat rooms were a good idea. It's so easy in games like these to stick to just a few combat techniques. The combat rooms were a great way to teach novice players about all possible ways to kill and smash enemes.

Sanic

ymmv said:
I thught those combat rooms were a good idea. It's so easy in games like these to stick to just a few combat techniques. The combat rooms were a great way to teach novice players about all possible ways to kill and smash enemes.

I agree, and they would be fun...if I wasn't engaged in combat nonstop before and after the combat room sections. Maybe i'm doing something wrong, or maybe it's just not my type of game, but there just seems to be WAY too much fighting going on. The dungeons are nearly perfect, but everything else....

I think I went in with the expectation of this being more of a straight Zelda clone than it actually is.

Baron

So, which platform has the better version of Darksiders, 360 or PS3? Is there a better version? I hate screen tear - which has less of it?

Baron said:
So, which platform has the better version of Darksiders, 360 or PS3? Is there a better version? I hate screen tear - which has less of it?
Earlier on the 360 version had a bunch of tearing, but it's been patched and they're both pretty much identical in performance now.

Feindflug

Baron said:

The 360 version was plagued with screen tearing at launch mainly because the frame-rate was unlocked but a patch fixed this by locking the frame-rate at 30fps so now the game is tearing free and runs great.

Both versions are identical, just choose whatever version is on your system of choice - Vigil did an awesome work in making both versions equally good with no noteworthy differences. :)

Baron

Feindflug said:
The 360 version was plagued with screen tearing at launch mainly because the frame-rate was unlocked but a patch fixed this by locking the frame-rate at 30fps so now the game is tearing free and runs great.

Both versions are identical, just choose whatever version is on your system of choice - Vigil did an awesome work in making both versions equally good with no noteworthy differences. :)

That's good to hear - I'll probably get the PS3 version, then. Thanks for the replies.

Pandoracell said:
And
you mean that 10 minute segment of an 8-12 hour game?

i find it interesting that people are lamenting how heavily combat focused the game is; the entire time i was playing i wanted more enemies to fight. seemed like i was always running out. can't wait for the sequel(s).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sagitario said:
Well, I guess that will be my primary weapon then :p

Any good place to farm souls?

The 4th dungeon has a lot of fodder enemies you can make respawn a lot by leaving a room and coming back in, if you've gotten that far.

Wraith RazieL

Neo Member
After plowing through my back-log, I finally popped this game in! It's waaaayyy better than I was lead to believe in regards to the constant comparisons (which I don't see as a bad thing?) to "those other games". If anything, it's a form of flattery and I guess as long as it's not outright plagiarism, than I'll keep enjoying it.

Sagitario

Papercuts said:
The 4th dungeon has a lot of fodder enemies you can make respawn a lot by leaving a room and coming back in, if you've gotten that far.

I just got Ruin back, does that place count as the 3rd dungeon?
How many dungeons does the game have?

I've jut completed the 4th dungeon, and I'm on a quest to collect as much as possible before going to the tower.

One thing though, I've found an invisible-ish chest I can't interact with. What do I need to do to use it?

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've jut completed the 4th dungeon, and I'm on a quest to collect as much as possible before going to the tower.

One thing though, I've found an invisible-ish chest I can't interact with. What do I need to do to use it?
Later on you'll get something and have to go back there. It'll be made clear when that is.

Corto

Those complaining of too much combat compared to exploring/platforming just check in the Chronicle the time spent on combat and see the total time played...

I don't know. I just did the first four dungeons, and assumed I was near the end of the game. So don't listen to me at all; clearly there's more to the game than I first thought. :lol

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
black_vegeta said:
I <3 Joe Mad's artwook, I'm a bigtime fanboy!

Do you know if Joe will be at SDCC everyday so I can get an autographed artbook?

I'm only able to attend Day 1 (Thursday).

Joe will be there for everyday of Comicon, but, he'll only be around for the time that he's signing. It's either 11-12, or 12-1 (don't know the exact time)...so, as long as you're there for the signing times, you'll be good :D

markatisu

I am epic failing in my fight with
big fight against Tiamat. I can bring him down easy enough the first time but the 2nd round where he just glides across it seems I cannot ever get out of the way fast enough.

Is there any tips? Or just keep playing till I can memorize the moves and dash to avoid it

Sagitario

markatisu said:
I am epic failing in my fight with
big fight against Tiamat. I can bring him down easy enough the first time but the 2nd round where he just glides across it seems I cannot ever get out of the way fast enough.

Is there any tips? Or just keep playing till I can memorize the moves and dash to avoid it

I died a lot in that fight mostly because I couldn't bring her down :p [those damn bombs]
For that fight, dash dash dash attack! Use a healing item if necessary...
The problem for me during the second part was that War doesn't dash fast enough [there is always some pause/lag/delay between dashes]...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sagitario said:
There is point of no return? :O
I hate those...

There's not. The game tries to trick you by telling you there is, but there's not.

hdn said:
Joe will be there for everyday of Comicon, but, he'll only be around for the time that he's signing. It's either 11-12, or 12-1 (don't know the exact time)...so, as long as you're there for the signing times, you'll be good :D

Cool, thanks for the info! :D

trejo

Yeah, that boss fight was pretty terrible. For the second part, keep your distance as much as possible and only attack when you see the cues. Once it seems like she's about to make a move dash the fuck away fast and then rinse and repeat. Use a healing item if you must. It's some pretty smooth sailing from there on out, though.

BKXB

Economist
Didn't have any interest in this when it was released, but picked it up for $17 new, and I'm having a blast. Made it to
Drowned Pass area with the lake, and really enjoyed seeing a lush, verdant environment for a change.

Typically don't like those DMC/Bayonetta style games, but this has a good balance.

KevinCow

Banned
BKXB said:
Made it to
Drowned Pass area with the lake, and really enjoyed seeing a lush, verdant environment for a change.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite area in the game because of that. I like how you can tell there used to be a city here, but nature has just taken over. Most of the rest of the game looks like the apocalypse happened just last week. Not that there's anything wrong with ruined buildings, I just kinda wish there was a bit more variety. Hopefully that's something they keep in mind for DS2.

Top Bottom