• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Kraut

Jesus christ, this game has the shittiest boss battles. I swear I came within a second of snapping the god damn disk in half.

BKXB said:
Didn't have any interest in this when it was released, but picked it up for $17 new, and I'm having a blast. Made it to
Drowned Pass area with the lake, and really enjoyed seeing a lush, verdant environment for a change.

Typically don't like those DMC/Bayonetta style games, but this has a good balance.
Yeah me too, for some reason I love the combat in this game but was never crazy about God of War or DMC or Bayonetta. It's really the exploration and puzzles in addition to the combat that make it a complete package.

Kraut said:
Jesus christ, this game has the shittiest boss battles. I swear I came within a second of snapping the god damn disk in half.

Because they aren't that memorable or because you are bad at video games? The only one that I would consider challenging was Silitha.

I've done finished The Black Throne and although I really enjoyed the
portal ability
and the puzzles that created, I found the dungeon to be very repetitive in design and the fact that you had to
basically fight the same boss three times.

Hopefully the
hunt for the sword pieces
won't be too tedious. With the last dungeon and now this it feels like the game is being stretched out, which is a shame. The pacing was great up until the Black Throne.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Foliorum Viridum said:
Hopefully the
hunt for the sword pieces
won't be too tedious. With the last dungeon and now this it feels like the game is being stretched out, which is a shame. The pacing was great up until the Black Throne.

For a fetch quest, the sword piece hunt is pretty short. You can do it in less than an hour.

ZealousD said:
For a fetch quest, the sword piece hunt is pretty short. You can do it in less than an hour.
Yeah it's not bad at all. I actually enjoyed having a reason to go back to some of those earlier areas. Use Vulgrim to move quickly across the map.

Kraut said:

I found that they were all decent outside of the Giant Spider, which was kind of a pain. I was actually slightly disappointed in the final boss battle, way too easy.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've done finished The Black Throne and although I really enjoyed the
portal ability
and the puzzles that created, I found the dungeon to be very repetitive in design and the fact that you had to
basically fight the same boss three times.

Ohh yes, I did not like this dungeon at all. What pissed me off the most about it is
during the outside area with the rotating pillars, the ones were you need to use the Portal ability to get from one side to the other, I got stuck and died many, many times. The puzzle requires you to fire a portal through a portal, something you cannot do in the actual game of Portal by Valve. I dismissed this possibility from the start and had to look up the solution, once I read it I called "bullshit!" because you can't do that in Valve Portal, I never would have even tried it

It took me a few minutes, but I figured it was a worth a try and didn't really get stumped there.
I can see why you would get stuck thinking by Portal rules, though. I didn't really think like that.

I'm glad that the
fetch quest
won't last long. :)

KevinCow

Banned
Gryphter said:
Ohh yes, I did not like this dungeon at all. What pissed me off the most about it is
during the outside area with the rotating pillars, the ones were you need to use the Portal ability to get from one side to the other, I got stuck and died many, many times. The puzzle requires you to fire a portal through a portal, something you cannot do in the actual game of Portal by Valve. I dismissed this possibility from the start and had to look up the solution, once I read it I called "bullshit!" because you can't do that in Valve Portal, I never would have even tried it

Should've played Narbacular Drop. :p

No45

silentspork said:
Because they aren't that memorable or because you are bad at video games? The only one that I would consider challenging was Silitha.
Yup, one of my few 'complaints' is that the boss battles were too easy. And I hate/suck at boss battles.

.la1n

picked this up during the B2G1 used games @ gamestop on saturday and i'm having a blast, should have picked this up sooner.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Any word on if the retail PC version will be steamworks? The publisher is THQ and their last few games have all been steamworks so I'm wondering. Kind of hoping so since I can buy a retail copy with my employee discount and still get a steam copy.

MoxManiac

I still can't decide which (console) version to get! Help!! ;_;

Are the two versions in terms of frame rate and tearing really equal, post patch? Is it true the 360 version is more colorful? Which controller is better suited to this game?

I don't know why this decision is consuming me so! I want the game but I can't decide! 360 achievements! but it comes in that awful eco case! but the 360 version can be installed!

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhgghgh

Did the patch really fix all the horrid tearing issues? Cause the 360 was plagued by the tearing.

I'd pick it up on PS3 to play again someday for cheap.

Zerokku said:
Any word on if the retail PC version will be steamworks? The publisher is THQ and their last few games have all been steamworks so I'm wondering. Kind of hoping so since I can buy a retail copy with my employee discount and still get a steam copy.

Yes, the game uses Steamworks.

Sagitario

Finished the game! I liked it!
That 5th dungeon was definitely my favorite, reminded me A LOT of Zelda/Metroid...
Really good game :D

For the sequel, I really hope that:

- War runs/walks faster

- Smaller areas [even with the warp points, it takes too much time to visit specific places or travel through them]

- NO SERPENT HOLES AREAS [I'm not saying "No warp points" BTW], seriously, what's the point?

- If the combat cannot be made better, well, then less combat or enemies with lower HP, some of them took way too much time to kill.

- Better feedback when fighting: sometimes I had no idea if I was hitting an enemy or if I was actually damaging

- Better dungeon bosses. I actually liked the 2nd and 4th dungeon bosses, the rest, not so much. Find a better balance between the gameplay mechanic, the fighting and the feedback to the gamer. I don't mind when bosses are easy, but I do care when they're not fun.

- Improved music. It wasn't bad, but it was really forgettable, I could have played the game with no volume and it'd have been the same. I can't remember a single note of any theme in the game.

corrosivefrost said:
Did the patch really fix all the horrid tearing issues? Cause the 360 was plagued by the tearing.

Yes

Foliorum Viridum said:
Somebody help me because I'm at the very end of the game and getting fucking annoyed.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5779/endgame.jpg

The last thing I need is there, but I can't go there because it's an "unexplored location" apparently which means I can't go through a warp hole. I've gone to the Twilight Cathedral and the other area next to it but I can't find a way there. HELP.
You used the hookshot to get over to the left of the TC?

I did that, yeah, and it just lead to a
weird guy in a hat who I've never seen before. We fought a bit then he disappeared.
:S

I've figured out where it is now, though. Trust me to do it 10 seconds after turning to GAF. :lol

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I haven't given this game the attention it deserves and I think it's because I haven't quite caught onto the combat since it's been a long time since I've played a 3D zelda title. I'm on my way to the first dungeon to kill the bat lady and I got stuck on the first behemoth guy on the rock pillars. Am I supposed to just use quick attacks and dash away? Seems like his range is pretty wide.

ZealousD

mikespit1200 said:
I haven't given this game the attention it deserves and I think it's because I haven't quite caught onto the combat since it's been a long time since I've played a 3D zelda title. I'm on my way to the first dungeon to kill the bat lady and I got stuck on the first behemoth guy on the rock pillars. Am I supposed to just use quick attacks and dash away? Seems like his range is pretty wide.

Use the crossblade.

Finished it this morning and although the last boss battle and cutscene were cool, I felt everything after The Black Throne was basically filler. Kinda killed my feeling of "this game is awesome."

Hopefully the sequel will be more streamlined in the latter stage of the game, and I really hope the
other horsemen appearing doesn't mean it will be co-op focused.

Overall a really good game and one of the best new IPs this gen.

Is there any worthwhile dlc for this game right now? I'm kind of tempted to get it at $20 but the pc version is coming out soon so I'm thinking it might be worth it to just wait for that.

ZealousD

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any worthwhile dlc for this game right now? I'm kind of tempted to get it at $20 but the pc version is coming out soon so I'm thinking it might be worth it to just wait for that.

There is no DLC.

bridegur

For the next game, I'd like to see:

-More adventure/exploring similar to the Zelda series (go to different towns, etc.)
-More of a seamless world
-Slightly improved controls (more accurate jumping, faster running)
-A bit more platforming to go along with fine-tuned jumping
-Increased focus on environments like the forest-y lake area in the first

bridegur said:
For the next game, I'd like to see:

-Slightly improved controls (more accurate jumping, faster running)
-A bit more platforming to go along with fine-tuned jumping
-Increased focus on environments like the forest-y lake area in the first

playing it for the first time now (almost done) and i agree with these last 3. i also don't like how long it takes for your moves to 'cool down', ie: after i dash there is a short period of time that i can't do ANYTHING else- not even block. so if the camera fucks up the direction im trying to dash in to avoid an enemy attack, i can't even block at the last second without having to wait that whole second for the dash animation to finish. i always end up getting hit and losing a few entire health bars.

but so far this whole game is GREAT framework from which to build a sequel on top of. as long as they keep all of this kinda stuff in tact and just expand and make the sequel MOAR... then it's a definite buy for me.

hate the voice acting for the main character though (as well as characters that simply have their voice tracks altered to sound artificially deep). i hate how each time someone shows him a new item or weapon he says the name of said item in that exact same tone... ugh... i wouldn't even mind a totally new main character. different horseman?

Just finished this today. The Portal sections drove me nuts (I'm not patient, I suppose) but everything else is top notch.

Darksiders 2 will probably be a day 1 purchase, this game was really well done.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
LTTS

*smh*

fuck all the testers of this game ( if there is any ) and fuck Vigil Games and THQ , seriously why there is a game ending glitch in this piece of shit ?

in the Black Throne , after the 3rd Robot guy and doing everything for the final beam , when I try to get back to Azrael's room , the door is locked with the blue magic barrier , I do remember when I got to the upper door in the room for the first time , War didn't use the Beholder Key ( even that I have it with me ) and just went through the blue magic barrier like a mighty penis , I just thought the game skipped some animations, now I am stuck forever.

I did some googling before posting here ,and there are tons of people in many fourms have the same stupid glithc too.

BOOOOOO

Ledsen

Totobeni said:
LTTS

*smh*

fuck all the testers of this game ( if there is any ) and fuck Vigil Games and THQ , seriously why there is a game ending glitch in this piece of shit ?

in the Black Throne , after the 3rd Robot guy and doing everything for the final beam , when I try to get back to Azrael's room , the door is locked with the blue magic barrier , I do remember when I got to the upper door in the room for the first time , War didn't use the Beholder Key ( even that I have it with me ) and just went through the blue magic barrier like a mighty penis , I just thought the game skipped some animations, now I am stuck forever.

I did some googling before posting here ,and there are tons of people in many fourms have the same stupid glithc too.

BOOOOOO

I feel your pain man, I got hit by game-ending glitches close to the end of both Far Cry 2 and Arkham Asylum and I raged and raged and raged like a motherfucker.

Totobeni said:
LTTS

*smh*

BOOOOOO
I've heard about that glitch although I never got it myself; that's inexcusable that they haven't fixed it by now. I don't suppose you have an earlier save you can back up to?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Neuromancer said:
I've heard about that glitch although I never got it myself; that's inexcusable that they haven't fixed it by now. I don't suppose you have an earlier save you can back up to?

yeah I returned to the game and found a save just before going for the third beam ( now I am collecting Armageddon Shards/punching that hot Angel chick ) , crisis averted I guess , but it's still totally unacceptable thing ( most people don't keep multiple saves ) , and for this to not been patched after like 8 months from the release it's just pure poor job from THQ/Vigil.

vermadas

I had a game-ending glitch happen in similar fashion in the Black Throne dungeon. I was on the way to getting the second beam started. There is a large outside area with spinning columns that you have to use the
portal gun
to pass. I got to the other side and killed off all the monsters that spawned there to open the door. I opened the door, went into the next room and saved and quit. I came back a couple days later and loaded my save and it had put me on the opposite side of the door which was now locked. Doors on both ends were locked and there was no way to continue. Both my autosave and my manual save were like this. Thankfully I use alternating saves but I lost about a half-hour of time. I was on the verge of quitting the game since this dungeon is overstaying its welcome.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
vermadas said:
I had a game-ending glitch happen in similar fashion in the Black Throne dungeon. I was on the way to getting the second beam started. There is a large outside area with spinning columns that you have to use the
portal gun
to pass. I got to the other side and killed off all the monsters that spawned there to open the door. I opened the door, went into the next room and saved and quit. I came back a couple days later and loaded my save and it had put me on the opposite side of the door which was now locked. Doors on both ends were locked and there was no way to continue. Both my autosave and my manual save were like this. Thankfully I use alternating saves but I lost about a half-hour of time. I was on the verge of quitting the game since this dungeon is overstaying its welcome.

wooha , there is another game ending glitch in Black Throne too , fucking fuck this game is a just total untested mess.

.la1n

Probably the best game iv'e played so far this year, really glad I finally decided to pick it up. Have we received any confirmation of a sequel being in production?

.la1n said:
Probably the best game iv'e played so far this year, really glad I finally decided to pick it up. Have we received any confirmation of a sequel being in production?
didn't they announce it a week after the first one for fiscal 2012?

KevinCow

Banned
Totobeni said:
wooha , there is another game ending glitch in Black Throne too , fucking fuck this game is a just total untested mess.

I think "total untested mess" is a bit extreme. Game-ending glitches suck, but... well, glitches happen. No matter how much you test a game, you're going to miss a number of potential circumstances. I don't think it's really the developer's fault, because game-ending glitches can happen to anyone. I actually find Darksiders to be surprisingly polished considering it was Vigil's first game.

They should definitely patch it, though. Dunno why they haven't.

.la1n said:

They've announced that they're working on it and projecting an early 2012 release. No real info on it though. I expect it'll probably pop up next E3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I just finished the game , kinda decent game ,big meh ending.

good
+ nice bosses ( but not the final one )
+ Gears of Apocalypse segments and weapons are very very fun (if the sequel is completely Shooter/Gears of Apocalypse like these segments I will jump in)
+ solid and good fighting system.
+ some nice looking dungeons/environment.

bad

- complete missing opportunity Story wise , story sucks huge mad balls , it can be good but it ended like crap ( again this is so Joe Mad)
- glitches ( got 2 , one for cheats and one huge game ending one )
- all dungeons overstaying their welcome and should be shorter.
- Normal mode is easy.
- no variety in enemies.
- all side weapons are completely useless.
- checkpoint system is very stupid sometimes ( example lock you inside Tiamat room before the fight so you can't return outside for health or anything if you short on health and can't beat her)
-backtracking+Zelda game structure.
-Joe Madureira characters design. *puke*

also...

the end part was crap , sure don't make it crazy hard or long , but make the end sequence feel epic , let us join the attack at least ( like the beginning of the game ) , I felt cheated somehow , it's just boom ..final boss.

the removing of the
human
from this is weird , the cyberpunk Angels and funky demons are just very boring enemies ,and since the whole thing turned pointless after all , another party can add interesting things here , oh well another missing opportunity here.

the Story is crap ,
the Council thingy using War
and the Nex Sacramentum BS is just complete and utter stupid , I guess the premise was good but it need a better writer , and the feel of the post Apocalyptic world just wasn't there for me at all , they tried by showing destroyed city but failed completely.

and this one last thing bugs me to no end , even that the game used Vigil Games own engine , they went all the way to make the game look like a fucking UE3 game , why it's new engine why the ugly plastic UE3 "look" even that the engine is different , why in the blue hell they did this?

overall 6/10.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Totobeni said:
bad

- complete missing opportunity Story wise , story sucks huge mad balls , it can be good but it ended like crap ( again this is so Joe Mad)
- glitches ( got 2 , one for cheats and one huge game ending one )
- all dungeons overstaying their welcome and should be shorter.
- Normal mode is easy.
- no variety in enemies.
- all side weapons are completely useless.
- checkpoint system is very stupid sometimes ( example lock you inside Tiamat room before the fight so you can't return outside for health or anything if you short on health and can't beat her)
-backtracking+Zelda game structure.
-Joe Madureira characters design. *puke*

also...

That. I hated piss shit outdated Zelda game design of the game. It was NOT a positive for the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
FTWer said:
That. I hated piss shit outdated Zelda game design of the game. It was NOT a positive for the game.
Games that slap your ass and wink at you as you run through the gate and chase the rabbit down a one-way stretch aren't the only sort of games that should exist.

trejo

Please STFU with the Zelda hate. If anything, we need more well made action adventure Zelda clones and less testosterone fueled Gears clones.

ymmv

Banned
trejo said:
Please STFU with the Zelda hate. If anything, we need more well made action adventure Zelda clones and less testosterone fueled Gears clones.

So true. The Zelda influences made Darksiders the game it is. The market place is saturated with shooters and brawlers with non-stop action. It was so nice to have a game that had more to offer. I hope Darksiders 2 continues on that path.

FTWer said:

Zelda game design will never be outdated. It's like saying Chess is outdated. It's fundamentally as solid as game design can get, and in my opinion was the only thing that made this game worth playing.

Top Bottom