• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
ArachosiA 78 said:
Zelda game design will never be outdated. It's like saying Chess is outdated. It's fundamentally as solid as game design can get, and in my opinion was the only thing that made this game worth playing.

Gotta second this.

The Steam deal is nice but the retail version (that has to be activated on steam anyway) is awesome :O

darkbook.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
Totobeni said:
(if the sequel is completely Shooter/Gears of Apocalypse like these segments I will jump in)

bad

-backtracking+Zelda game structure.
Wait. What? Just sounds to me like you were playing the wrong game.

Haunted

Totobeni said:
good

- (if the sequel is completely Shooter/Gears of Apocalypse like these segments I will jump in)

bad

- all dungeons overstaying their welcome and should be shorter.
- backtracking+Zelda game structure.
Jesus Christ. :lol

ymmv said:
So true. The Zelda influences made Darksiders the game it is. The market place is saturated with shooters and brawlers with non-stop action. It was so nice to have a game that had more to offer. I hope Darksiders 2 continues on that path.
Good man. Way way way too few Zelda-like games out there. Darksiders definitely filled a hole in the lineup there, and that's appreciated.

MoxManiac

The fuck? Someone complaining about the Zelda-esq design of Darksiders?? That's what made the game great!

I'm on the last boss of the game. Is there an item I can get that will show me the items/upgrades that I missed? I heard people talking about such a thing but I never found anything like it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Morbid Angel said:
The Steam deal is nice but the retail version (that has to be activated on steam anyway) is awesome :O

darkbook.jpg

Is that PAL exclusive? Cause I want that. Really badly.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
trejo said:
Please STFU with the Zelda hate. If anything, we need more well made action adventure Zelda clones and less testosterone fueled Gears clones.

Yup, nothing better than some redundant stupid backtracking & inane contrived puzzles. </sarcasm>

Sydle

Macattk15 said:
I loved everything about the game except for the Black Throne. Loathe that place.

I liked the entire game, but The Black Throne was my least favorite part because it felt like a chore at times.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FTWer said:
Yup, nothing better than some redundant stupid backtracking & inane contrived puzzles. </sarcasm>

You're outnumbered, son. Give it up.

KevinCow

Banned
Macattk15 said:
I loved everything about the game except for the Black Throne. Loathe that place.

Yeah, I think the Black Throne went on a little too long. I think it would've been better if there were only two lasers.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
ZealousD said:
You're outnumbered, son. Give it up.

Doesn't matter, outdated game design is outdated game design. I loved Zelda OOT, but over 10 years have passed & game design has evolved & moved on.
The puzzles & their structure are so unnatural that it makes Tomb Raider look like it was designed by the world's best architects.

I did enjoyed the slightly larger areas throughout & there was a good amount of exploration that always rewarded you. You also level up your weapons for defeating enemies, which was a big plus over Zelda games.

ssowinski

3 hours in and loving it. It seems like it made by a bunch of 30 somethings who grew up on videogames. The art direction is really good and the graphics are noteworthy too. Found myself stopping to admire every once and a while.

Also - like the fact that it rewards looking for the obvious hidden stuff that you'd expect.

Morbid Angel said:

darkbook.jpg

Ugh, why do I even come in this thread. European's always get vastly superior editions of PC games. Makes me depressed everytime I see it.

Kard8p3

FTWer said:
Doesn't matter, outdated game design is outdated game design. I loved Zelda OOT, but over 10 years have passed & game design has evolved & moved on.
The puzzles & their structure are so unnatural that it makes Tomb Raider look like it was designed by the world's best architects.

I did enjoyed the slightly larger areas throughout & there was a good amount of exploration that always rewarded you. You also level up your weapons for defeating enemies, which was a big plus over Zelda games.

Sounds to me like you just don't like it so you're calling it outdated.

Gravijah said:
Please, explain modern game design to us.

Modern Game Design

-Third Person / FPS Cam
- Limited inventory (don't want to confuse your audience!)
- No puzzles, no backtracking, nothing, just go forward, shoot shit, repeat.
- Heavy use of guns
- You're part of a squad of badasses, usually goes by code name ex: Alpha Squad, Bravo Squad, Delta Squad.
- Limited weapons you carry (makes it more realistic)
- The sequel strips even more out.
- Can usually be completed in 5 hours
- A plethora of DLC that was probably already in the game.

vermadas

I finished this game yesterday. I have a lot of problems with it, but overall, it was good.

Loved
+ The art design and variation of the locales
+ Upgrade system

Hated
- Something felt "off" with the timing. If I try to make a jump off an edge at the last possible moment I will often fall. Blocking also felt useless. I am an action game vet but for the life of me I could not block reliably at all.
- Overall, the combat felt okay. The problem is that there was WAY too much of it sometimes, and it killed the pacing.
- The Black Throne.
- The fetch quest at the end.

The last few points highlight my biggest problem with the game: unnecessary padding of the game length. I blame game critics for this as much as I blame the designers. Too much emphasis is placed on game length when evaluating the value of a single-player experience.

agrajag

Banned
Love this game. The guy that said Zelda's game design is outdated is on crack. Just by taking cues from Zelda the developers put the game above most everything else in the genre. i played dante's inferno right after it, and while i know it's not exactly the same type of game, it felt like a joke and completely shallow in comparison.

FerranMG

Guys, I just gave the 4th heart to Samael.

I've put already around 8-9 hours in the game, do you think it's gonna last much longer?

agrajag

Banned
FerranMG said:

I've put already around 8-9 hours in the game, do you think it's gonna last much longer?

not much longer, you're probably around 70% through from what i remember

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I didn't even realize some people didn't like Black Throne. That dungeon was fucking awesome.

FLEABttn

Banned
FerranMG said:

I beat it in 13.

I will be double dipping for the PC release. The game hit all of my happy buttons.

forrest

formerly nacire
FLEABttn said:
I beat it in 13.

I will be double dipping for the PC release. The game hit all of my happy buttons.

This. The game just struck a serious chord for me and I loved every fucking bit of it!

thetrin said:
I didn't even realize some people didn't like Black Throne. That dungeon was fucking awesome.

I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough, but yeah...the Black Throne, while a bit of a headache at times, was definitely the most satisfying part of the game so far for me. It could even give some Zelda dungeons a run for their money.

agrajag

Banned
thetrin said:

that's the one where you use the portal thing, right? it was very frustrating for me.

Aggrotek

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The lore was almost spot on, and the dungeons were great.
Every boss battle was awesome, and it just played great. I hope there is a sequel.

MoxManiac

So no one has an answer to my question?

The black throne was neat, my issue with it was that it was too fucking long. If it was shorter (maybe by half) it would have been awesome.

Sagitario

MoxManiac said:
So no one has an answer to my question?

The black throne was neat, my issue with it was that it was too fucking long. If it was shorter (maybe by half) it would have been awesome.

I liked the Black Throne, I didn't have any problem with its length but it had way too many fights/enemies...

About your question, yes, there's an item... it's one of those War's brothers items...

Ledsen

Played about 3-4 hours, running around the first real "dungeon" so to speak and playing on Apocalypse (seems just right so far). I LOVE this game. It's a mystery to me why more games don't copy the Zelda template, in the right hands it's superior to most other types of action/adventure. The underlying structure is simply genius and I really wish more games would go this route. So fucking good.

Although I wish the guy walked faster. Man I miss the panther form from Bayonetta.

FTWer said:

:lol This is the most hilarious thing I've ever read. Evolved? Evolved into what? Call of Duty? :lol

Rez said:
Games that slap your ass and wink at you as you run through the gate and chase the rabbit down a one-way stretch aren't the only sort of games that should exist.
Wow where did this come from? :lol

This might be the best Rez line ever.

DieH@rd

Banned
We still dont have any PC footage, and zero information how well did they make PC port. :(

Hopefully it wont be a trainwreck like Force Unleashed PC port. Urgh...

Top Bottom