• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Fincher, Charlize Theron Team for 'Mindhunter' Netflix Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit -

Netflix just released the teaser trailer for Mindhunter! Premieres this October. Looks great, so excited to see Anna Torv back with David Fincher!!!

Teaser

Link.

Netflix is looking for its version of The Jinx.

The streaming service has picked up Mindhunter, a second drama series from House of Cards creator David Fincher, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Originally developed at HBO via Fox 21, the series hails from Fincher and Charlize Theron's Denver and Delilah banner. Joe Penhall (The Road) will pen the script for Netflix with Fincher and Theron on board to exec produce.

The drama is based on the 1996 book Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas and Mark Olshanker.

Sources tell THR that Theron had the rights to the book and WME, which reps the actress-producer, set her up with Fincher (Seven, Zodiac). The drama has been four years in the making. Fincher is set to direct.

Douglas spent decades developing criminal profiling techniques for the FBI and teamed with writer Olshanker for the story of his 25-year career tracking down serial killers.

Netflix declined comment.

Mindhunter comes as the streaming service continues to be aggressive in pursuing original scripted programming toward its goal of launching a new series every week.

The series arrives as true crime tales have become all the rage following the success of HBO's The Jinx.

Theron, Penhall and Fincher are repped by WME.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Mindhunter comes as the streaming service continues to be aggressive in pursuing original scripted programming toward its goal of launching a new series every week.

Wow, I had no idea this was their goal. Their original content is almost all I watch on the service anymore.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
You had me at David Fincher, Charlize Theron and Netflix Series.

ps. @netflix. Please make Sci Fi shows (Sy Fy sucks).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, I had no idea this was their goal. Their original content is almost all I watch on the service anymore.

Well ever since they lost the Epix catalog to Hulu, it's really all they have now. I'm okay with it, especially if they keep bringing over foreign shows under the Netflix Original banner as well.

If one of the big Netflix originals premieres every month, I'll continue being happy with the service.

Miker

Mildly disappointed it's not a sci-fi series upon reading the title, but with that kind of talent I can't say no.

Important note: Theron isn't set to star in it, merely EP for the show as of now.

But, to see Fincher revisit the kind of "Zodiac" like material in a TV show sounds phenomenal. I also hope he revives his Utopia adaptation for Netflix, because lord knows that would be brilliant. Hell, just revive the British show since Netflix is taking shows from Channel 4 now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This was set up at HBO way back in 2010, with Scott Buck (Six Feet Under, Dexter, now Iron Fist) as the writer.

I wouldn't expect this to be anything like The Jinx. It's going to be a straight drama, probably like Hannibal without the insanity.

Donos

scifi stuff is probably a lot of more $$$ because of more needed effects/cgi but netflix is good on the cash so they should do it.
I have to say that i really like mini series. You always know the story has a thought out end and is not written to run for 20 seasons if ppl keep watching and they have to include crazy twists to top the season before.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This was set up at HBO way back in 2010, with Scott Buck (Six Feet Under, Dexter, now Iron Fist) as the writer.

I wouldn't expect this to be anything like The Jinx. It's going to be a straight drama, probably like Hannibal without the insanity.

Interesting. So maybe this will fill in the space for people who want more of something like The Killing.

They should change the name. It instantly makes me think of that shitty movie Mindhunters from the 2000s, that was about FBI agents tracking a serial killer. Had LL Cool J and the bird haired woman from Cold Case.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Interesting. So maybe this will fill in the space for people who want more of something like The Killing.

They should change the name. It instantly makes me think of that shitty movie Mindhunters from the 2000s, that was about FBI agents tracking a serial killer. Had LL Cool J and the bird haired woman from Cold Case.
The funny thing is that Mindhunters was a title chosen by the execs, the screenwriter hated it because this book already basically claimed it.

quartet4

Neo Member
I'm optimistic this could work as a TV series if they keep it accurate. That Mindhunter book talks about all the cases that John Douglas consulted on, so each season could be about one of those real-life serial killers that the main character has to profile and help catch. Sometimes Douglas would even be consulting on multiple cases simultaneously. They could also throw in the history of how he and his mentors invented serial killer profiling techniques and taught them to those in the FBI and law enforcement.

I'm so in. If Fincher is channeling Zodiac in this and Theron plays a sort of hardened, obsessive detective type it'll be a match made in heaven.

Normally I'd be excited but after how mediocre HOC turned out and Utopia just vanishing, I'm weary of getting excited over anything TV related to David Fincher

To be honest, even if they premiere one big Netflix show a month, the service is worth it. That means a new season is out every month as well in the following years.

I amloving Master of None, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Grace and Frankie and OITNB.

Wow, just typing all that out definitely makes their catalog a lot beefier compared to last year. And these are just the comedies.

latest

Based Charlize, will give it a shot.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
To be honest, even if they premiere one big Netflix show a month, the service is worth it. That means a new season is out every month as well in the following years.

I amloving Master of None, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Grace and Frankie and OITNB.

Wow, just typing all that out definitely makes their catalog a lot beefier compared to last year. And these are just the comedies.

Yeah, if they manage to have a whole new season every month of a show, I might even pay a little more.

Although, I don't see any price changes for awhile since they just did an adjustment a few months back?

Jonm1010

Banned

Hmm, would rather they focus on quantity over quality. I guess they are taking the shotgun approach and hoping some stick. I guess maybe a glorified pilot system?

Anyways, this looks interesting. House of Cards was a disappointment and so have most film directors turned show creator attempts, so I am skeptical but will give it a chance.

Orkidea

All that was needed was "Fincher making new Netflix series"

Could have had Kristen Stewart and I would have still been on board

Jonm1010

Banned
Also i have been thinking on this but with Netflix basically abandoning the film side of their business, I would really like to see someone come pick that mantle up.

I would love a new streaming service to come on line that really accumulates a ton of new and classic films for streaming.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Also i have been thinking on this but with Netflix basically abandoning the film side of their business, I would really like to see someone come pick that mantle up.

I would love a new streaming service to come on line that really accumulates a ton of new and classic films for streaming.

https://www.unblock-us.com/

Sign up for that and get access to every Netflix region, which has a ton of movies.

nicolajNN

I'd never think Netflix would stoop so low to start making procedurals.
Waste of space imo.
I don't really know anything more about this than what's in the op, but why are you so sure it's a procedural? It doesn't seem like Netflix are going that direction, also procedurals probably aren't a great fit for Netflix' strategy of putting up an entire season at once, they would likely know this.

Hmm, would rather they focus on quantity over quality. I guess they are taking the shotgun approach and hoping some stick. I guess maybe a glorified pilot system?

Anyways, this looks interesting. House of Cards was a disappointment and so have most film directors turned show creator attempts, so I am skeptical but will give it a chance.

I think there's plenty of quality. Regardless I think part of the reason why it seems like a shotgun approach is that Netflix want to serve all audiences whereas most TV channels have smaller more defined target groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom