• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Tizoc said:
Just did a quick race in Begginer, and it was fun lol.
Graphics look fine in HD for a game from 1993.
Surprising that this game is 200-ish MB in size, back then this was like 20 GB lol.
Lol wat?!

Tizoc

ResidentDante said:
Lol wat?!
I don't EXACTLY remember how much the average HDD storage space was for PCs back then, and I may have overexaggerated the size, but reading the previous post, I'm surprised how much they could put into this game with the size being 15 MB.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tizoc said:
I don't EXACTLY remember how much the average HDD storage space was for PCs back then, and I may have overexaggerated the size, but reading the previous post, I'm surprised how much they could put into this game with the size being 15 MB.
My first Win95 machine was 1.5 GB IIRC.

Tizoc said:
Ah, I understand what you meant now. I wonder if the original arcade machine had a HDD or just stored everything on chips, like a Mega Drive cartridge. Putting that whole game on 15MB was incredible though!

Shaneus

T-0800 said:
November.

Do you Entropay accounts still work on US PSN? I haven't used mine in well over 12 months.
Referring to XBLA. I knew that PSN was likely going to be Nov from here given that we're generally considered EU, but as far as XBL releases they've pretty much universally been exactly the same time, regardless of region.

Does anyone have an XBL Marketplace URL I could try?

RC

Banned
Daytona is just as fun as I remember. Really wish I could get the hang of drifting though. I'm running into walls like it was 1993.

Trojan X

Banned
Still not up on XBL here in the UK and SEGA's press release said it supposed to be out today. Painful...

From some of the people's reaction here, I almost feel like saying "I TOLD YOU SO" or something. I also feel like SEGA has finally listened to me and many others in some regards.

Now SEGA, if you want to BLOW THE ROOF IN SALES, work on that patch that will increase the multiplayers from 8 to 20 together with LAN play! Do that and market it with heavy PR such as competitions/tournaments!!! TRUST ME¬! Oh, also include a button re-map in the option screen.

When I finally play this today I'll provide my feedback.

Gaspode_T

Desibabu said:
Daytona is just as fun as I remember. Really wish I could get the hang of drifting though. I'm running into walls like it was 1993 all over again.

I hope one of the Daytona experts replies but I thought drifting in most racing games is briefly letting go of accel, sharp turn, then pump the gas and accelerate, or am I wrong??

Sixfortyfive

Gaspode_T said:
I hope one of the Daytona experts replies but I thought drifting in most racing games is briefly letting go of accel, sharp turn, then pump the gas and accelerate, or am I wrong??
4-1-4, full throttle. All day.

Trojan X

Banned
Desibabu said:
Daytona is just as fun as I remember. Really wish I could get the hang of drifting though. I'm running into walls like it was 1993 all over again.

Gaspode_T said:

Before you turn into a corner, you must turn your wheel earlier into it, then "snap" the breaks then immediately followed by Counter-steering. To control the speed if you are already on 4th gear, you should gear-down to 2nd or 3rd Gear depending on the degree of the corner (some experts gear down to 1st gear and immediately go back to 4th gear followed by pumping the acceleration and putting the car on an extreme side-ways drift, but this is high risk and requires practise). Use acceleration to control your entrance, process and exit speed out of a corner. If your rear is swinging too much then quickly respond by "easing off" the acceleration to control it; keeping the car in a lower gear normally helps as it forces the car to maintain the corner on a lower KPH/MPH. Before you exit a corner, increase your Gears back to 4th or 3rd gear depending on your KPH/MPH.

To help further, you must memorise each course! You'll notice this is very easy to do because unlike MANY racing games that released over the years, every corner in Daytona (and most SEGA games) is a landmark/checkpoint in which you can absorb something to be used as a reference/guide (Funny, the only racing game that got that idea spot-on was the demo track used in FORZA, that track had SEGA written all over it!).

To assist further, analyse my gear changing techniques and racing lines in my videos below which I played on the original Model 2 game (note that these videos are set to the hardest difficulty setting). DO NOT worry because everything you'll see in the video will be exactly the same on the XBL/PSN version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ8vXn5pDP8 - Expert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_UZiEGMoJo - Advanced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoggCneZHnk - Beginner

Note that my videos, though they are fast, my racing lines and gear changing techniques are NOT the absolute optimal lines and Gear changing timings. There are people that found FASTER racing lines than these and my driving has evolved since I created those videos.

Good luck!

RC

Banned
Thanks for the tips TrojanX. Although now I feel like I should get a steering wheel to get the complete Daytona experience. Promised myself I wasn't going to be one of those people.

Trojan X

Banned
Desibabu said:
Thanks for the tips TrojanX. Although now I feel like I should get a steering wheel to get the complete Daytona experience. Promised myself I wasn't going to be one of those people.

You're welcome.

Getting a Force Feedback steering wheel for this game would be one of the best decisions ever made. If you get a DAMN GOOD ONE, you'll feel like it was made for Daytona when you finally try it. Plus, remember that when your opponents knock into you you'll feel it on the Force Feedback just like the Arcades.

My advise for you is to find a Force Feedback that is compatible for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 so it would be truly value for money! The steering wheel I will eventually purchase will be the same one that isamu and some other gentlemen want is the Fanatec ClubSport Elite wheel; its expensive but the way I see it is if you are going to buy a Steering wheel then you might as well get a DAMN GOOD ONE so you can use it for a very long time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PwwKbrMIk&feature=player_embedded#!

Quoted from isamu: "It is going to be their BEST FFB wheel yet by a COUNTRY FUCKING MILE! They are going to be taking pre-orders soon and if you don't jump on the boat when they do, you'll miss it. Going by what I've seen and read so far, I will say I think this wheel will most definitely give you the Daytona strong FFB Arcade feeling you crave. And don't forget it will work beautifully with Forza 4, as well it's a multisystem wheel so PS3 and PC are also compatible.

I swear if I didn't already have my ECCI 7000 FFB wheel I would be gushing over that ClubSport Elite wheel. But dammit I simply can't justify buying another wheel *JUST* for multiplayer Daytona, when I can already use mine on PC via Model 2 emulator.

So yeah man, I'd go with that ClubSport Elite wheel in a heartbeat if I were you."

Other than that, focus on the Logitech wheels like the G27 or the more preferable Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S. THEY ARE WORTH THE MONEY IN THE LONG TERM PROVIDING YOU CAN PLAY ON ALL 3 MACHINES (PC, Xbox360 & PS3)!

leca

Yes! :D Just spotted Shaneus playing it, was a good reminder to get the download started.

Doooodooooodoooooo

Desibabu said:

I slam the gears into 1st then quickly 3rd, then 4th on the Sonic corner for max drift and high speed. I love Dino Canyon for gearshift drifing, the left then right out of the tunnel is dreamy. Take a tight line then slam in 2nd then 4th for a quick short drift and through the checkpoint. Then 1st>3rd>4th on the tight left hander then 2nd, 3rd, 4th on the final bend.

Fuck, I love Daytona!! :D

Trojan X

Banned
KennyLinder said:
I slam the gears into 1st then quickly 3rd, then 4th on the Sonic corner for max drift and high speed. I love Dino Canyon for gearshift drifing, the left then right out of the tunnel is dreamy. Take a tight line then slam in 2nd then 4th for a quick short drift and through the checkpoint. Then 1st>3rd>4th on the tight left hander then 2nd, 3rd, 4th on the final bend.

Fuck, I love Daytona!! :D

NOW you know how I feel!

I seriously wished that SEGA listened to me more. I kept telling them about this for YEARS. It's only now it feels like my words has landed on listening doors.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Trojan X said:
US = 1up. AUSTRALIA = 1up. UK = zero. :( Still waiting on my end and checking Xbox Live around the clock.

It's not up on the Latest tab. I found it in the alphabetical listing.

Trojan X said:
NOW you know how I feel!

I seriously wished that SEGA listened to me more. I kept telling them about this for YEARS. It's only now it feels like my words has landed on listening doors.

I worked for SEGA at the Sega Racing Studio and it was awesome but at the same time difficult to get the message across. Those were great game development games, miss it dearly :(

Did you like Sega Rally Revo and SR3?

Shaneus

YOU CAN CHANGE THE CAR VIEWS IN ATTRACT MODE JUST LIKE THE ARCADE.

With the accuracy of this port, this has to be an exact port of all the code and nothing less. Everything has been thought of. Time Lap mode is even included.

Fucking Sega. They rape Sonic then they give us this. y u no consistent?

If they are this capable of porting this, there's no way we can't expect exact duplicates of Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter 2 and SEGA FUCKING RALLY.

Shaneus said:
YOU CAN CHANGE THE CAR VIEWS IN ATTRACT MODE JUST LIKE THE ARCADE.

With the accuracy of this port, this has to be an exact port of all the code and nothing less. Everything has been thought of. Time Lap mode is even included.

Fucking Sega. They rape Sonic then they give us this. y u no consistent?

If they are this capable of porting this, there's no way we can't expect exact duplicates of Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter 2 and SEGA FUCKING RALLY.

I think it's because Daytona USA is the best game of all time, so they took it seriously.

:D

Trojan X

Banned
KennyLinder said:
I worked for SEGA at the Sega Racing Studio and it was awesome but at the same time difficult to get the message across. Those were great game development games, miss it dearly :(

Did you like Sega Rally Revo and SR3?

Excellent! I also use to work for SEGA over several years ago during the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast and still got really close friends in Sonic Team and other department. I miss those magic times.

I really like SEGA Rally Revo but, no disrespect and being completely honest, the game didn't capture the real essence of SEGA RALLY which led to one of the many reasons why the game didn't achieve high sales. You see, the real X-Factor for SEGA RALLY is actually... how can I put it:

A great racing allows you to concentrate on the course and not just on your opponents whilst walking on a fine line between realism and fantasy; your opponents are just Ghosts.

The fundamental problems is that SEGA Rally Revo and 3 appears to have focused on recapturing the multi-player thrills and spills when played on the Arcade game. This was a good idea but it wasn't the ideal one to take because that was a secondary experience of SEGA Rally. Also, another problem was the terrain interaction which supposed to be what makes SEGA RALLY Revo & 3 unique (the product's X) - the changes in terrain was an AWESOME idea (seriously, it was) and I remember one of your old Producer's explaining to me how it worked when I met up with him at E3 a few years ago, however I told him that there are flaws with this idea to which would result in the player not receiving enough "feedback" from the vehicle. So I told the Producer my ideas to solve this but unfortunately, my ideas weren't realised in the final version of the game, and my fear came to reality.

So yes, I do like SEGA Rally Revo (I like some of the music too!), but I prefer Sega Rally 2 on the Dreamcast and the original Model 2 Sega Rally more as they provided a deeper and more fulfilling experience on both single and multiplayer. I'm sure you understand.

Gaspode_T

Wow that looks faster than I remember...like...Outrun fast! I'm going to pick this up when I get home from work (t-minus 2 or 3 hours) It's nice that the achievements look attainable too

I hope SEGA Rally comes out now, there was a very very good port on Japanese PS2. It's amazing of course, and SR also has the best road texture of all time, I love it!

Saturn version but the same. Love that tarmac!
5KeQNzhYogA3A.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
Just played the trail and it seems really cool, but trail makes the races super short. I might pick this up on sale.

Shaneus

KennyLinder said:
I hope SEGA Rally comes out now, there was a very very good port on Japanese PS2. It's amazing of course, and SR also has the best road texture of all time, I love it!

Saturn version but the same. Love that tarmac!http://file.vustv.com/5KeQNzhYogA3A.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I think the main problem to be expected with porting SR would be licensing Toyota and Lancia. Mind you, they had no problems with them for the new Sega Rally (3) Revo so maybe that's not such a big hurdle?

[QUOTE=herod]9/10 from Eurogamer.[/QUOTE]
> Uncharted 3 ahahahahaha

[QUOTE=ChuckNoLuck]Just played the trail and it seems really cool, but trail makes the races super short. I might pick this up on sale.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? Just buy it now.

Sixfortyfive

First (of only one player, lmao)!

daytonaboard.jpg

I'm having to adjust to my shitty controller's drifting analog stick, but the controls aren't bad. Sensitive but not uncontrollable. Somewhat better than using the Dreamcast pad on the model 2 emulator, at any rate.

Trojan X said:
Excellent! I also use to work for SEGA over several years ago during the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast and still got really close friends in Sonic Team and other department. I miss those magic times.

I really like SEGA Rally Revo but, no disrespect and being completely honest, the game didn't capture the real essence of SEGA RALLY which led to one of the many reasons why the game didn't achieve high sales. You see, the real X-Factor for SEGA RALLY is actually... how can I put it:

A great racing allows you to concentrate on the course and not just on your opponents whilst walking on a fine line between realism and fantasy; your opponents are just Ghosts.

The fundamental problems is that SEGA Rally Revo and 3 appears to have focused on recapturing the multi-player thrills and spills when played on the Arcade game. This was a good idea but it wasn't the ideal one to take because that was a secondary experience of SEGA Rally. Also, another problem was the terrain interaction which supposed to be what makes SEGA RALLY Revo & 3 unique (the product's X) - the changes in terrain was an AWESOME idea (seriously, it was) and I remember one of your old Producer's explaining to me how it worked when I met up with him at E3 a few years ago, however I told him that there are flaws with this idea to which would result in the player not receiving enough "feedback" from the vehicle. So I told the Producer my ideas to solve this but unfortunately, my ideas weren't realised in the final version of the game, and my fear came to reality.

So yes, I do like SEGA Rally Revo (I like some of the music too!), but I prefer Sega Rally 2 on the Dreamcast and the original Model 2 Sega Rally more as they provided a deeper and more fulfilling experience on both single and multiplayer. I'm sure you understand.

Yep, totally agree. It's just "one of those things" that didn't quite go 100% right. Also, we really tried SO hard to getting it running at 60 but it just wasn't possible. We even wanted to remove the deformation so we could run at 60 but at that point the marketing wheel was rolling and that was one of the USPs of the title. We also had to heavily reduce the affect of the deformation for various reasons so it never really worked quite as well as intended (or as it did during earlier development).

dwu8991

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Yep, totally agree. It's just "one of those things" that didn't quite go 100% right. Also, we really tried SO hard to getting it running at 60 but it just wasn't possible. We even wanted to remove the deformation so we could run at 60 but at that point the marketing wheel was rolling and that was one of the USPs of the title. We also had to heavily reduce the affect of the deformation for various reasons so it never really worked quite as well as intended (or as it did during earlier development).

Hate to say it but REVO was more V-Rally than SEGA Rally.

SkylineRKR

I played SR Online Arcade to death though. Its absolutely not on par with the first 2 games and the presentation is far too dire to be in their shadow, but the gameplay was rather okay. The less floaty chase cam and better performance did make it a good improvement over Revo.

Sega Rally 1 on model 2 is the best in the series, but the Saturn version played ridiculously good with a pad.

Now, SR2 was never properly ported to the consoles as well. The game deserves to be treated like the current Daytona. Hoping this release wasn't a fluke just because of Racing Classic being around.

Top Bottom