• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

bumpkin

DonMigs85 said:
Curses, I couldn't resist and just got this blasted game. Downloading nao...
I caved too, and I'm glad I did! *so good gif*

I'm going to be getting my second helping tomorrow on 360. On the bright side, I'm just using MS points that have been sitting in my account for a while. What punctuates the tale of my 24-hour-or-less double dip is I have PS Plus and still had like $2 in my PSN wallet. All told, it cost me $5. :)

I do have a gameplay observation... On normal, the best I could get on beginner after half a dozen or so tries was 8th. I dialed it down to easy and was in 1st by lap 3. Just a wee bit of a difficulty discrepancy, no?

Trojan X

Banned
bumpkin said:
I caved too, and I'm glad I did! *so good gif*

I'm going to be getting my second helping tomorrow on 360. On the bright side, I'm just using MS points that have been sitting in my account for a while. What punctuates the tale of my 24-hour-or-less double dip is I have PS Plus and still had like $2 in my PSN wallet. All told, it cost me $5. :)

More feedback?

hort22

hey all never played daytona more then a handful of times back in the day...how much content is in the game track wise...i know most of you reading this love the game, but does it get old racing the same 3 tracks all the time...

i think i read somewhere its only 3 tracks...correct me if im wrong...looking for a ps3 racer and am ready to download...let me know.

bumpkin

Trojan X said:
More feedback?
I don't know if you replied before I edited my original post, but I do have an observation about difficulty. On normal, the best I could get on beginner after half a dozen or so tries was 8th by the end. I dialed it down to easy and was in 1st by lap 3. Just a wee bit of a difficulty discrepancy, no?

Overall I'm really happy with it and feel good about buying it on both systems! The graphics are clean, frame rate is rock solid (and smooth), the sounds and music are all exactly as I remember them. The game is perfect as far as the port is concerned. I did notice minor pop-up on some of the more wide open vantage points (like the bridge on expert), but that's hardly a detriment to my enjoyment. I played the shit out of Daytona in the arcade, on Saturn both times, and later on Dreamcast.

This release feels like home! :)

Trojan X

Banned
hort22 said:
hey all never played daytona more then a handful of times back in the day...how much content is in the game track wise...i know most of you reading this love the game, but does it get old racing the same 3 tracks all the time...

i think i read somewhere its only 3 tracks...correct me if im wrong...looking for a ps3 racer and am ready to download...let me know.

3 tracks. Nothing else has been included. You can also play the same tracks in reverse. The game never been about content, its about driving perfection and multi-player insanity. This is what people are experiencing right now so don't lose out. If you lose out due to "numbers", then you're giving yourself an injustice as an gamer - go see WHY nearly every experience game developer and gamer still claim Daytona USA as the greatest racing game ever after all these years.

bumpkin said:
I don't know if you replied before I edited my original post, but I do have an observation about difficulty. On normal, the best I could get on beginner after half a dozen or so tries was 8th by the end. I dialed it down to easy and was in 1st by lap 3. Just a wee bit of a difficulty discrepancy, no?

Overall I'm really happy with it and feel good about buying it on both systems! The graphics are clean, frame rate is rock solid (and smooth), the sounds and music are all exactly as I remember them. The game is perfect as far as the port is concerned. I did notice minor pop-up on some of the more wide open vantage points (like the bridge on expert), but that's hardly a detriment to my enjoyment. I played the shit out of Daytona in the arcade, on Saturn both times, and later on Dreamcast.

This release feels like home! :)

The difficulty ratio sounds right. Beginners track is easy by course design only and the Difficulty setting is based by AI difficulty setting and Timer. So yes, all sounds right. Ultimately, you need to keep playing to get yourself up to Expert difficult. You seen my videos, right? ALL of them are on the Expert difficulty setting and the only way to make it to first place is by you learning your vehicle handling and memorising the course.

So glad that you are loving the game.

Baron

Just played a bunch of online races with some random peeps. Loads of fun! I may buy a wheel if the support is nice.

Anyone wants a Daytona friend, please add me, on PSN and 360. It's lonely playing random folks. Playing PSN version now, of course. (see profile for info)

Trojan X

Banned
Baron said:
Just played a bunch of online races with some random peeps. Loads of fun! I may buy a wheel if the support is nice.

Anyone wants a Daytona friend, please add me, on PSN and 360. It's lonely playing random folks. Playing PSN version now, of course. (see profile for info)

What's the Online lobby like?

hort22

Trojan X said:
3 tracks. Nothing else has been included. You can also play the same tracks in reverse. The game never been about content, its about driving perfection and multi-player insanity. This is what people are experiencing right now so don't lose out. If you lose out due to "numbers", then you're giving yourself an injustice as an gamer - go see WHY nearly every experience game developer and gamer still claim Daytona USA as the greatest racing game ever after all these years.

downloading now...thanks for the quick response :)

Baron

Trojan X said:
What's the Online lobby like?

I just did a "Quick Match" and was put directly into a game. Previously I tried to start an online game but there was no-one else online. :( So I just sat waiting. Maybe people were downloading it still?

edit: I also had to adjust the music volume level initially. It starts up at a "5", but I could barely hear it and had to crank it up to 9. That worked nicely.

Baron

hort22 said:
downloading now...thanks for the quick response :)

add me as a PSN friend if you'd like - indigentia. I'll be racing for the next half hour at least, if not longer.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1080p?

or 720p with 4x msaa?

I know, I know, but it's not out here yet. Climax's IQ was incredibly clean (more so on 360) even if 720p, hopefully it is similar here but with the extra power I'd expect 1080p.

Trojan X

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
1080p?

or 720p with 4x msaa?

I know, I know, but it's not out here yet. Climax's IQ was incredibly clean (more so on 360) even if 720p, hopefully it is similar here but with the extra power I'd expect 1080p.

1080P FULL-RGB solid. NO upscale.

Where can one the rest of your themes, m0dus? I remember looking at them prior to owning a PS3, but I have yet to actually move past the PS3's default theme.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
m0dus said:
Also, I did the psn avatars as well. Are they available for you guys yet?

6279974797_00c0992f8d_o.png
Oh man those were yours? Those are awesome! They're up in the PS Plus section right now.

DonMigs85

My only graphical beef is the road texture filtering that you can see going on in front of you, but at least jaggies are minimal and frame rate is rock-solid.

Trojan X

Banned
gwiz210 said:
Does the online multiplayer keep a win/loss record anything?

SEGA said there is an online record that will keep track of everything. It would be good if someone can confirm that.

Bread

Banned
Just played a couple of arcade matches and my first online race. I was doing terrible for the first 10 laps, and I made a huge comeback and took over first for the final lap and won it! This game kicks ass!

DoubleTap

DFGT support is solid. Shifting can be done with the paddles, stick, and face buttons all at the same time. It rumbles when the engine "strains" and the usual FF effects with steering and collision. 900 deg is not supported. Don't think the arcade game had that either.

what a port! lots of gameplay here. didn't try my wheel and pedals yet. i'll try them on the 360 version tomorrow.

i always get nervous with anything port these days, but this is super high quality stuff. i REALLY hope Scud Racer comes along! the energy this game gives off is still hard to match to this day. AM2 porting team is to be commended. this game needs no polish, no changes.

brings back so many great memories of my 12 year old self kicking ass, listening to the incredibly 90's music. even the great cutlass supreme on the daytona track loading screen.

"take it easy on the car"

hows the netcode? didn't try online yet...

Bread

Banned
quinntendopower said:
hows the netcode? didn't try online yet...
I joined a lobby with 3 green bars, and it ran really well. The other cars look like they're lagging though, not sure if that effects the gameplay.

gamefan

Ok, I usually don't post much but I have to for this game.

This game rocks. It is just like the arcade graphically, albeit higher res and soooooo smooth. When I heard that this game was going to be coming to XBLA/PSN, I was elated but was concerned about the handling with a controller, especially after the DC version. I was so wrong! The PS3 controller feels like it was made for this game, that is how much they have it dialed in! I will be double dipping this game, that is for sure!

I just got a 360 this year and to me Sega has never looked better - Outrun, Virtual On, Daytona, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Afterburner Climax, Sonic Generations - this is the Sega I know and love. Please sega, bring on more Model 2 and 3 conversions!!!

Thank you Sega for my personal game of the year!!

Just finished an 80-lap online multi-player endurance race on the beginner oval track...oh man, good times!!! =) Everyone eating it on the Sonic turn one time or another...but with the rear boost everyone has a chance to come back. Was so fun, brings back good times playing it with peeps at the local Dave & Busters or Gameworks back in the day =)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GamePnoy74 said:
Just finished an 80-lap online multi-player endurance race on the beginner oval track...oh man, good times!!! =) Everyone eating it on the Sonic turn one time or another...but with the rear boost everyone has a chance to come back. Was so fun, brings back good times playing it with peeps at the local Dave & Busters or Gameworks back in the day =)
Weaksauce. :p

I'm sure as hell turning that nonsense off in my lobbies.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sixfortyfive said:

It's actually drafting, which is pretty exaggerated. I don't think there is any actual rubber banding in Daytona.

Sixfortyfive

luka said:
It's actually drafting, which is pretty exaggerated. I don't think there is any actual rubber banding in Daytona.
There is. You have to put a code in to turn it off in the arcade version.

Sixfortyfive said:

From what I saw the choices were only type A rear boost or type B tire wear and pit stop. Can you turn off boost?

But for casual races, type A is fine...keeps it fun for everyone, especially for long endurance races...it's all good.

Aside from the increased res (HD) and lack of pop-in this version looks and plays like the original Model 2 arcade version. None of the problems of the Dreamcast version exist.

DonMigs85

herzogzwei1989 said:
Aside from the increased res (HD) and lack of pop-in this version looks and plays like the original Model 2 arcade version. None of the problems of the Dreamcast version exist.
Expert Course has some pop-in, but I wonder if the 360 version has any advantages (maybe better texture filtering on the road?)

Shaneus

leng jai said:
Guess this game isn't out in Aussie land on either platform :(
Damnit. We're considered EU by PSN standards so we won't be getting it for that until November, but we should be seeing the 360 one already. Have you tried browsing to the game to the letter rather than looking for it under New Releases? Sometimes it takes a while to appear there but can almost always be found when browsing all games.

RC

Banned
Really tempted to download this. But I remember being really terrible at Daytona back in the arcades. Of course, this was well before I learned how to drive, so that might've played a hand in it.

Omg this shit is arcade perfect (or close enough at least for a nitpicker such as myself), force feedback and all

G27 in the house BTW

:bow @ Sega

Now re-do Crazy Taxi like this, and put the offspring music back in. The current PC port on PSN is a joke.

DonMigs85 said:
My only graphical beef is the road texture filtering that you can see going on in front of you, but at least jaggies are minimal and frame rate is rock-solid.
Yeah that was most likely in the original too but wasn't as noticeable since it was in SD

Sixfortyfive

GamePnoy74 said:
From what I saw the choices were only type A rear boost or type B tire wear and pit stop. Can you turn off boost?

But for casual races, type A is fine...keeps it fun for everyone, especially for long endurance races...it's all good.
Interesting. If that's the only two choices you're given then it's exactly like the arcade version.

And if that's the case, switching it to type B for normal length races (8/4/2 laps) disables both the boost and the tire wear. Tire wear only kicks in for longer races on the original.

Tizoc

Just did a quick race in Begginer, and it was fun lol.
Graphics look fine in HD for a game from 1993.
Surprising that this game is 200-ish MB in size, back then this was like 20 GB lol.

Top Bottom