• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dang, clearing the courses on Survival Mode will be tough. Endurance mode, tire wear in effect, and the timer doesn't stop while you're in pit road. Someone needs to figure out easy ways to "farm" extra time bonuses.

200/200. That was fast.

LeMaximilian said:
Can't wait to make videos for this game...soon.
I always knew you had excellent taste, Max.

Trojan X

Banned
OMG!!!! BEEN PLAYING THIS SHIT AND COMING 1ST IN RACES!!! THIS IS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! The colours are not good as the Model 2 emu version but THIS IS DAYTONA! The feeling is there!!

YOu can find me on Xbox Live as "KENSHIROU X".

Satchel

Banned
Ok, my wife is in labour right now, but we live 2 blocks from th hospital so I snuck home to get a jumper and quickly downloaded this shit.

FUCKING AMAAAAAZING. Got 4 cheevos in like 15 minutes.

It's the most glorious sight ever, until my baby is born in a few hours of course.

Fuck me though, best 800 points spent ever.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
m0dus said:
As much as I dig Isamu, you did call it earlier. The other thread will be locked, This will be the game's OT.

It's all good modus. I was unaware that he had already been working on one otherwise I would have not made one. Don't worry guys, this is a good OT :)

Shaneus

Spoiler:
The credits screen is the "Waiting for entry" screen from the arcade, with the mini Daytona cars doing all sorts of crazy shit. They really have thought of absolutely everything. Positive hyperbole is impossible with this port.

About the only thing this is missing is a sound test for all the music.

Sixfortyfive

The karaoke tracks seem to be new arrangements. They're not from the Saturn version, at any rate.

I was thinking the arranged music was all new.

That was a quick 200/200 I was only stuck on the Hit 100, and didn't think you could get it for hitting the cone over and over. Survival on the first course is addictive.

The worst thing about this port is that it shows Sega CAN do good ports when they want to. I was so desperate for a good port of Crazy Taxi, and look what we got :(

Neifirst

This is the best $7 I've spent on PSN! Such Sega Saturn nostalgia washing over me right now. I know nothing of these issues, but is this some sort of Model 2 arcade emulation? To get to my real point: is there any reason they couldn't bring over Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally Championship, and the Virtua Cop games easily?

Neifirst said:
This is the best $7 I've spent on PSN! Such Sega Saturn nostalgia washing over me right now. I know nothing of these issues, but is this some sort of Model 2 arcade emulation? To get to my real point: is there any reason they couldn't bring over Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally Championship, and the Virtua Cop games easily?

I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't. I think Daytona USA has come along because it was reissued last year in the arcades with the SEGA Racing Classic, so the hard work has already been done. I would imagine this was a relatively low cost port to PS3/360. If SEGA were to port SR2 over then there is a much higher cost involved.

That's my guess anyway. I'd love to be wrong so we see SR2.

Gazunta

If I could give every member of the Dev team a standing ovation a totally would. An absolutely amazing conversion of an incredibly fun game!

I'm just ticked off that apparently my NAT type is restricting me to two player multiplayer matches. How the heck do I fix that?

Sixfortyfive

Mirror courses are fucking with my head. (They always have.) Still winning every multiplayer race though.

Gazunta said:
I'm just ticked off that apparently my NAT type is restricting me to two player multiplayer matches. How the heck do I fix that?
Put your console's IP address in your router's DMZ. If you don't know what that means, start punching shit into Google.

The reason the port is so good is because they did all the work like 2 years ago when they created Sega Racing Classic! Not that I'm complaining, its great!

KennyLinder said:
Yep, totally agree. It's just "one of those things" that didn't quite go 100% right. Also, we really tried SO hard to getting it running at 60 but it just wasn't possible. We even wanted to remove the deformation so we could run at 60 but at that point the marketing wheel was rolling and that was one of the USPs of the title. We also had to heavily reduce the affect of the deformation for various reasons so it never really worked quite as well as intended (or as it did during earlier development).

Wow you worked on Sega Rally Revo!? Man, the CPU cars kicked my ass on that lol, I found for some reason I was much quicker using the in car view on that as opposed to the external view.. No idea why because I dont think my driving was much better, haha

Shinriji

It is only me or is really hard to hear the pit crew? I can hear "you can take it", "you're looking good" but is really, really low volume. The other song effects and "And there're on the way" voices samples are crystal clear btw.

Anyone with this problem as well? (PSN here)

Force feedback effects, unlike most Xbox games are very fast and strong, it work great, also even though it says sequential shifters only the H shifter works on my GT2 when it's plugged in, no problem as I prefer to use it anyway.

Could have done with a little AF.

Sixfortyfive

Feel free to send me a friend request on Live or just invite/join a game whenever you see me on. Dunno if I'm going to bother getting in a nap before work.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Wow you worked on Sega Rally Revo!? Man, the CPU cars kicked my ass on that lol, I found for some reason I was much quicker using the in car view on that as opposed to the external view.. No idea why because I dont think my driving was much better, haha

The CPU was cunty hard for sure LOL!

It's so hard to balance in a game, even with focus testing. The trouble with any game is that you get to the point during development that you are so shit hot at the game, but don't realise you are. The demo really fucked us because it was set to easy (I think), but it was still nails hard LOL :D

Oh well!

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Feel free to send me a friend request on Live or just invite/join a game whenever you see me on. Dunno if I'm going to bother getting in a nap before work.

hehe! Playing against you now.

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:

Dude! Stop going around the opposite direction in our races! Oh yea, I am KENSHIROU X and you are in my lobby!" :p Got you recorded.

Coxy

after getting in a few hours play, yep this is an utterly fantastic port, I really really hope this "AM Port Team" go on to do loads more stuff

PJX

Does the game have system link? We are thinking of doing a 4 player system link over the weekend. Shame it didn't have it.

robot

feel free to add me on xbla - I'm gonna be playing the shit out of this game later. I'm actually decent at it too (at least on Three 7 Speedway)

XBL: pepperjack

PJX said:
Does the game have system link? We are thinking of doing a 4 player system link over the weekend. Shame it didn't have it.

Actually if it does do system link does it do the multi-screen panorama attract sequence????

Vorg

Banned
KennyLinder said:
I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't. I think Daytona USA has come along because it was reissued last year in the arcades with the SEGA Racing Classic, so the hard work has already been done. I would imagine this was a relatively low cost port to PS3/360. If SEGA were to port SR2 over then there is a much higher cost involved.

That's my guess anyway. I'd love to be wrong so we see SR2.

Well, we got an amazing port of afterburner climax so I'm hopeful. :)

KennyLinder said:
The CPU was cunty hard for sure LOL!

It's so hard to balance in a game, even with focus testing. The trouble with any game is that you get to the point during development that you are so shit hot at the game, but don't realise you are.
You worked on Sega Rally Revo? Ok then, there's something I've wanted to say:

DON'T. MAKE. ME. START. SIXTH. ON. EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKING. RACE!

Specially when the closest rival of the championship (and thus the driver I need to beat more) always seems to start FIRST. I stopped playing just for that.

This game turned out perfectly! The control, the music, and the vibrant model 2 graphics are all here. Just imagine an arcade perfect port of VF2 on this engine!

DoubleTap

Satchel said:
Ok, my wife is in labour right now, but we live 2 blocks from th hospital so I snuck home to get a jumper and quickly downloaded this shit.

FUCKING AMAAAAAZING. Got 4 cheevos in like 15 minutes.

It's the most glorious sight ever, until my baby is born in a few hours of course.

Fuck me though, best 800 points spent ever.

You should name your kid Daytona. Congrats!

We've all had a bash at it, let my kid do the karaoke mode before realising you don't even need to sing along, he liked it anyway.

IoGSV.jpg

Any idea how many degrees the arcade's steering was set to? I tried 270° and it felt too slippy, more like an analogue stick, tried 540° which was good but a little too much so I suppose around 360° should be ideal?

Sixfortyfive

Advanced / Grandprix / Type B is my new favorite way to play. I am putting fools 2 or 3 laps under pace. WHO WANTS SOME.

drugstore_cowboy said:
Any idea how many degrees the arcade's steering was set to? I tried 270° and it felt too slippy, more like an analogue stick, tried 540° which was good but a little too much so I suppose around 360° should be ideal?
Can't remember for sure, though I know it was less than 360. My gut wants to say that it was close to 180.

Top Bottom