• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Nichols talks why he passed on Aquaman and cinematic universe films.

Read into it what you will.

Basically he wanted more control to tell his story but wasn't willing to work within the parameters of what DC was giving him. I understand and generally I am for giving directors room to tell their story but in a big franchise like this it was the best choice for all parties that he parted ways. It reminds me of Edgar Wright and Ant-Man. Personally I hated Ant-Man I found the story a bit boring and the comedy was more miss than hit. However, the moments that were most enjoyable was interactions between the other MCU characters, specifically
Falcon and the Avengers and just referencing stuff that happened in other movies was the highlight of the film.

Now Edgar Wright notably was pissed because he had been working on the script forever and the MCU changed around him so I don't blame him for Ant-Man but going forward for movies in this kind of genre it's imperative that the DCEU hires directors that are willing to play ball. I'd love to have Edgar Wright if he's willing but I think he's tired of comic-book movies after the drama that surrounded Ant-Man.

Verendus

Banned
I've seen people at SHH say Faraci got caught red handed posting info from a fake script that got passed around to a few of these blogger types to see who'd bite on it. Ever since then I've never trusted a word of his on this movie.
He's that blogger, isn't he? I'd also take his words with a pinch of salt. I think someone PM'd me a leak which he apparently vouched for (it was this and the long reddit one he asked about if I remember right), and while it had some brief snippets correct in contrast to the other really fake one, it was still off from the movie with something quite glaring in there that was wrong.

I get the feeling there was some kind of early draft they knew of which gave them an idea of a bit of the structure of the movie, but that's about it. The final movie is clearly quite different from whatever they seemed to have been aware of. I say this because that fake reddit leak was from before any trailers, but it seemed to know about Spike-Hulk and a few other things.

I just want WB to give the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie to Edgar Wright. Have it set outside the time stream so that he's not constrained by any overarching story or studio mandate. Let him make his superhero movie.

Armie Hammer needs to be Booster Gold. I'm pretty sure the Hammer's developed him in a lab to be the perfect Booster Gold. He should be Booster Gold.

ryan299

I've seen people at SHH say Faraci got caught red handed posting info from a fake script that got passed around to a few of these blogger types to see who'd bite on it. Ever since then I've never trusted a word of his on this movie.

That was Mayimbe. A kid wrote a fake script, it was obviously fake, and Mayimbe reported it like it was real. Faraci has been the most accurate with story details. He was the first to say Doomsday was in the movie

backpeddling, he never said anything like that before and now comes up with that excuse? Right...

I'm sure he read a draft of the script, but it's obvious much have changed since then.

He mentioned Superman wrecks the Batmobile by punching it, iirc. We know that was replaced with the batmobile bouncing off Superman

Actually he kicks it, if you look closely.

Ahasverus

It begins lol

Cc_VxEKUIAEW9vg.jpg

You mean Michelle Maclaren right? I thought Jenkins was/is directing WW.

Yeah muh bad.

I just remember the rumor was she wanted a talking tiger character for WW. I can see why DC didn't see eye to eye on that.

Just a little sad to imagine, without these cinematic universe it'sallconnected shenanigans, there could've been a Jeff Nichols Aquaman. Was always naive of me to think we'd get our cake and eat it too. It is what it is. Directors sign on to any big comic movie, know their vision is diluted by the the studio vision. This is the cynical way to look, at least.

Wanted to suggest Nichols take on a Vertigo film, but with the recent news and all.

Well look at it this way. If the DC solo films do well, they'll encourage film makers to re examine the characters in the future. Aquaman has nothing to lose with his film. I'm sure connected films won't last forever.

Thinking do If I want to go spoiler free or not. I did for Man of Steel so it sort of makes sense for this as well. hrrrrrrmmmmmm

I think I'll stick round until the end of next week. I won't be angry if something is spoiled but I'd still like to sit around for impressions.

That was Mayimbe. A kid wrote a fake script, it was obviously fake, and Mayimbe reported it like it was real. Faraci has been the most accurate with story details. He was the first to say Doomsday was in the movie

I swear I thought Faraci was mentioned when people were talking about it, because I think it was a few of them that bit on it. I could be wrong though. This was way back in 2014 or so when they were filming.

As for Doomsday, I mean options were limited for a physical threat in this film. You either had Doomsday or Brainiac. In my opinion, he had a 50/50 shot of getting that right. Armored Lex wasn't going to happen. I assume it happens now because he saw Batman go toe-to-toe with Superman in an armored suit and it will be his inspiration and it will feel more organic.

Verendus

Banned
Verendus that screening you mentioned is it at Sherman Oaks Arclight? Because I got invited to see a secret screening there.
I have no idea. I was chit-chatting with a friend from WB about various things, and he mentioned they were doing one this week when we briefly talked about the movie.

Look man I turned down free Kings tickets that were 7 rows behind the players just because I need to get shit done.

EDIT: and I am not even sure it's BvS. I honestly think it is BvS or Ghostbusters.

I have no idea. I was chit-chatting with a friend from WB about various things, and he mentioned they were doing one this week when we briefly talked about the movie.

Is everyone in this thread a Hollywood big shot or what? I feel so out of place. ;_;

One of you make me feel better by giving me the keys to Ropeguy's trailer so I can steal one of his many prop ropes and bask in it's ropey goodness.
Haha, loljkmaybe.

Is everyone in this thread a Hollywood big shot or what? I feel so out of place. ;_;

One of you make me feel better by giving me the keys to Ropeguy's trailer so I can steal one of his many prop ropes and bask in it's ropey goodness.
Haha, loljkmaybe.

I'm a nobody with cool friends.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Loving all these positive whispers (rumors) we're getting. If this film ends of with a ~85% RT score the amount of bitterness from MoS haters will be glorious!

IconGrist

Loving all these positive whispers (rumors) we're getting. If this film ends of with a ~85% RT score the amount of bitterness from MoS haters will be glorious!

MoS haters? No. The quality of BvS will not change anyone's opinion of that movie. What it will do is vindicate the "wait and see" types who have been strongly opposed to the heavy amount of vitriol BvS has had spewed at it from its inception.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
MoS haters? No. The quality of BvS will not change anyone's opinion of that movie. What it will do is vindicate the "wait and see" types who have been strongly opposed to the heavy amount of vitriol BvS has had spewed at it from its inception.
No no you're misunderstanding me. I'm so tired of people pointing to a RT score for MoS as proof of its quality. I put little into scores but if BvS does get a decent to solid RT score we won't have to constantly hear about how BvS is trash and that is a very big W for all of us sane CBM fans.

This is correct. Say what you will about Faraci, but he definitely didn't bite on that fake script (assuming you're referring to the one that was circulating in summer 2014); Mayimbe totally fell for it and was even hyping "exclusives" based on it.

IconGrist

No no you're misunderstanding me. I'm so tired of people pointing to a RT score for MoS as proof of its quality. I put little into scores but if BvS does get a decent to solid RT score we won't have to constantly hear about how BvS is trash and that is a very big W for all of us sane CBM fans.

This I can agree with. I hate Rotten Tomatoes so goddamn much.

Penguin

This is correct. Say what you will about Faraci, but he definitely didn't bite on that fake script (assuming you're referring to the one that was circulating in summer 2014); Mayimbe totally fell for it and was even hyping "exclusives" based on it..

I still love that fake script with all my heart

Ma Kent and Lois just being lushes is the greatest thing!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

yep, a lot of films that end up getting 80-90+ RT turn out to be utterly forgettable.

Most people just go by the RT meter, instead of avg score which is a lot more telling of a film's quality.

Yeah, RT meter scores favor movies whose primary characteristic is being unoffensive. Nobody dislikes it enough to give them an outright bad review, even if they're only kinda sorta technically positive.

I think Faraci did actually see an early script. No reporter is 100% accurate though.

I hope his reporting on
Ma being kidnap is right. Though it could have been changed to Lois being kidnapped. It would make Superman's rough handling of Batman that much more plausible.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I just came across this reaction a while back and while I did not like MOS it had some really special Superman moments.
giphy.gif

This first Superman flight in MOS is light years ahead of the Donner films in capturing how majestic and awe inspiring Superman in flight can be. Of course its because of technical limitations in those days but damn I was like this kid throughout that scene and Zimmer's music during that scene perfectly encapsulated the feeling of awe and positivism that Superman can evoke even when he is just simply flying.

BVS really needs more scenes like this for Superman and not just a Superman who is not enjoying himself and is constantly worried. I am hoping such scenes are there

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I just came across this reaction a while back and while I did not like MOS it had some really special Superman moments.
giphy.gif

This first Superman flight in MOS is light years ahead of the Donner films in capturing how majestic and awe inspiring Superman in flight can be. Of course its because of technical limitations in those days but damn I was like this kid throughout that scene and Zimmer's music during that scene perfectly encapsulated the feeling of awe and positivism that Superman can evoke even when he is just simply flying.

BVS really needs more scenes like this for Superman and not just a Superman who is not enjoying himself and is constantly worried. I am hoping such scenes are there
Flight is the best scene in that film, one of the best scenes in any superhero movie easily.

Right up there with Bruce's training in Begins IMO.

Ashhong

That reaction makes me a little sad that DC has gone with more of a mature tone for their universe. It's not as kid friendly as Marvel. Like, I would be hesitant to show MoS to my kid under 10, but not so much Marvel stuff. The fighting was too brutal imo, and it sounds like BvS will be even more so.

No worries for me though, gimme all the violence!

So who has free time this week/weekend?

I figured with... the whole Gordon not being dead thing... may be time to finally try to track down all the rumors (true and false) we've had about this film in the past 3 years

There was way too many rumors surrounding this movie during the years, but here are some of the highlights:

Jena Malone cast as Carrie Kelly

Joker cameo in Batman V Superman

Doomsday to cameo in Batman V Superman

Jason Momoa cast as Aquaman

Bryan Cranston cast as Lex Luthor

Jaimie Alexander in talks to play Wonder Woman

Joaquin Phoenix possibly playing Lex Luthor

Zack Snyder's son playing Jason Todd

And, my personal favorite:
justinbieber_glamour_13Sept_810x540.jpg

Yager

Banned
Two weeks. I can't believe how long has it been since the announcement.

I'l be seeing the movie on the 23rd...and 24th. Yep, two days in a row. First one subbed, second one dubbed but in Imax.

Polarburr

Two weeks. I can't believe how long has it been since the announcement.

I'l be seeing the movie on the 23rd...and 24th. Yep, two days in a row. First one subbed, second one dubbed but in Imax.

Watching it in HK on the 26th, then I arrive back home (Philippines) the day after. So once more on the 27th with my brother. Then on the 28th, my family business is sponsoring an event which got me and my family free tickets. Then on the 29th, IMAX.

Phew. Seems like we're all about to watch the living hell out of this film! hahaha

Yager

Banned
Watching it in HK on the 26th, then I arrive back home (Philippines) the day after. So once more on the 27th with my brother. Then on the 28th, my family business is sponsoring an event which got me and my family free tickets. Then on the 29th, IMAX.

Phew. Seems like we're all about to watch the living hell out of this film! hahaha

After three years, I expect no less. I'm still waiting for my mother to tell me if she wants to go on the 25th or not. The thirst is real.

witness

Man I will always remember about that announcement and the crowd just losing their shit when the logo pop ups. That day was my birthday and that was one of the best presents I ever got. Can't believe we are almost to the moment.....

Magwik

Banned
Man I will always remember about that announcement and the crowd just losing their shit when the logo pop ups. That day was my birthday and that was one of the best presents I ever got. Can't believe we are almost to the moment.....
Snyder reading the line from TDKR too was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom