• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite funny that the two biggest comic book movies of the year deal with collateral damage.

Was gonna point out the same thing, the setups seem very similar. I'm only going by what was shown in today's trailer (and I haven't really kept up with CA3 besides knowing who's going to be in it) so I could be off in that assumption.

Rooster12

It could be the novelty factor, of course, but when you have scenes like
Superman bowing to Lex
, rumours like Wonder Woman
decapitating Dooomsday (which is a Superman villain after all, Supes should deliver the final and fatal blow)
and this image here: , they make me nervous Superman is being treated like a coadjuvant in his own movie, and kind being a little bitch.

Lex should make Superman look like a bitch. That's what makes a good villain. The same way Joker made Batman look like a little bitch.

Two gripes with that trailer.

It looks like a TV show.
Spider-Man is looking not so hot.

three:

that line delivery was meh. But then again, it is just one line.

ryan299

Every one is freaking out about spidey, while I cant give a dam because BLACK PANTHER LOOKS AMAZING

. . . ahem

edit* I hate Spidey's costume, hopefully his second one will be better

The trailer works better without Spidey. It has a serious tone throughout and then they go for a cheap laugh.

THR talks about the collateral damage angle and how Marvel and DC have backed themselves into a corner with it.
Worse still, it also makes the destruction caused by superhero fights foremost in viewers' heads again, so that by the time we get to Avengers 5: This Time They're Fighting Kang In The Old West, the audience won't be able to enjoy the sight of the Hulk smashing a random minion through a wall without thinking of the property damage and/or whoever was standing on the other side of that wall. After Civil War, can Marvel go back to pretending that everyone is okay after any large scale event ever again?

(See also: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which apparently suggests that any massive superhero fight will lead to congressional hearings in future; I look forward to someone trying to explain to the government who Darkseid is in years to come.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/captain-america-civil-war-diminishing-874230

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
not to derail but that final civil war trailer was dope

I really don't like how it looks, so bland. The shot with them running towards each other was so bad.

But I'm not going to go there and start shit, people enjoyed it, so cool.

With Batman vs Superman there's a really awesome atmosphere to the fight with the rain and lightning. Tony and Cap fight in a cheap looking warehouse with flat lighting and just very awful cinematography.

Need a tight trailer for X-Men and I'm ready to be excited for everything. Deadpool, BvS, CW, X-Men, Suicide Squad. 2016 is stellar for superhero films.

Dead

well not really...yet
Two gripes with that trailer.

It looks like a TV show.
Spider-Man is looking not so hot.

three:

that line delivery was meh. But then again, it is just one line.
It does look super bland, even for an MCU movie. Shockingly bad.

Also that two teams running to each other thing might be the dumbest thing I've seen in any super hero movie yet. Hilarious.

strafer

I liked it more than the previous one.

I don't think it was more dope than Batman strong arming a flustered Superman though.

Hehe, now they both have a what the fuck moment.

c43a7f0787e3692663bd78525ec40de3.gif

giphy.gif

Loxley

Spider-Man looks fucking great. Those John Romita Sr eyes make me so happy. Bring on the next solo film please.

I guess now I know how people who only give a crap about Batman feel when they watch BVS trailers - lulz.

Spider-Man looks fucking great. Those John Romita Sr eyes make me so happy. Bring on the next solo film please.

I guess now I know how people who only give a crap about Batman feel when they watch BVS trailers - lulz.

Ha ha. Seeing Black Panther and Spider-Man in the Civil War trailer is, can we get rid of all these lamer character and focus on those two?

The things I liked about the civil war trailer were basically not the main attraction. I liked Black Panther stuff the most and seeing the other heroes fight each other. Even though I think Spiderman's suit looks rough as hell, I'm more excited about him than Cap vs Iron Man.

I'm not feeling Cap vs Iron Man, both aesthetically and thematically. They've hardly foreshadowed up to this point, and even AoU had Tony & Cap end on good terms, parting ways with a handshake. Tony trippled down on him not being responsible for Ultron's action, and now he's talking about taking responsibility, in addition to all those times he rebuffed the government in earlier films. It just feels like a sudden turn with no build up.

It's been awhile since I watched Avengers, but wasn't there a scene where Iron Man tells Cap not to trust SHIELD and to look deeper?

Still I look forward to seeing the film. Just need to find a showtime my friends can agree on.

Here's a deal for those getting Fandango tickets for two. You won't get your convince fee back (it was $2.70) for me, but it ended up saving me like $4 for 2 tickets when I refunded and re bought my BvS tickets.

Error

If BvS wasn't coming in two weeks, they wouldn't have revealed Spider-man in this trailer. And if you think otherwise then I got a castle to sell you right now.

Effect

The trailer was okay. I actually liked the one before this one better. I don't understand people losing their shit over Spider-man though. The costume looks weird, far cry from the other live action versions and it wasn't even that good of an intro. Sure there is novelty of seeing him with Iron Man and Cap but it's kind eh in the end for me.

I found Black Panther, Hawkeye/AntMan (and I don't even care for these two), and War Machine being shot down far more interesting parts of the trailer. That and seeing the RAFT was pretty cool.

I still say this though. Marvel needs better cinematographers for their films. That or I'm just really spoiled by so many other films now and annoyed that Marvel films aren't trying to reach that level.

Error

Looks Batfleck is gonna be on the Ellen show, a day after Gal Gadot.

Not expecting anything but you never know.

Verendus

Banned
If BvS wasn't coming in two weeks, they wouldn't have revealed Spiderman in this trailer. And if you think otherwise then I got a castle to sell you right now.
It's about time to show him. The movie is releasing in early May, which means they need to ramp up their marketing just after the first week of April. That means now is the only time to really reveal Spider-Man since BvS is going to dominate a lot of the interest in the movie sphere soon.

Spider-Man isn't as big of an attraction as some online fans make him out to be, especially in light of the fact that Iron Man is in this movie who is clearly the biggest deal there, but he will generate interest and be an important part of the marketing cycle. You can't capitalize on him as effectively if you try to shove his reveal in there a few weeks from now.

Now is pretty much the last chance they had left. Unless you expected them not to show Spider-Man at all, which would be a huge mistake.

Loxley

The trailer was okay. I actually liked the one before this one better. I don't understand people losing their shit over Spider-man though. The costume looks weird, far cry from the other live action versions and it wasn't even that good of an intro. Sure there is novelty of seeing him with Iron Man and Cap but it's kind eh in the end for me.

I found Black Panther, Hawkeye/AntMan (and I don't even care for these two), and War Machine being shot down far more interesting parts of the trailer. That and seeing the RAFT was pretty cool.

I still say this though. Marvel needs better cinematographers for their films. That or I'm just really spoiled by so many other films now and annoyed that Marvel films aren't trying to reach that level.

I think, visually speaking, the MCU films need a good kick in the pants. Half of why the likes of Daredevil and Jessica Jones felt so refreshing was because they didn't have that squeaky clean, pristine digital look to them that the majority of the movies do. Part of why I'm interested in Doctor Strange is because they're supposedly going for something more psychedelic, and I'm hoping they get real creative with that.

a916

I think one or two impressions said there were a few slow mo money shots.

I actually really like slowmo, I prefer it to shaky cam and quick cuts.

I enjoy slow mo... why do people hate it? It allows you to linger on the image more instead of those quick cuts. That's how I read comics... I'll look at the panel up and down. This let's me experience the scene or spot like that.

I think, visually speaking, the MCU films need a good kick in the pants. Half of why the likes of Daredevil and Jessica Jones felt so refreshing was because they didn't have that squeaky clean, pristine digital look to them that the majority of the movies do. Part of why I'm interested in Doctor Strange is because they're supposedly going for something more psychedelic, and I'm hoping they get real creative with that.

It looks super flat. I don't know why but the day scenes and the lighting, it all lacks punch.

Error

I think one or two impressions said there were a few slow mo money shots.

I actually really like slowmo, I prefer it to shaky cam and quick cuts.
There's definitely slow-mo when Supes is walking towards the Batmobile, at least it looked like that to me.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if that will happen with BvS. Any new Twitter reviews? Wasn't there a screening today?

Spidey is team Ironman? I've always thought he would be buddy with Cap...

Tbf, I have trouble seeing a lot of these characters motivations right now. Like, Tony's heel turn has completely changed from his previous characterisation. However, I've not really been following Civil War since I'm a bit bored of Marvel stuff atm, so maybe they've explained it somewhere.

Loxley

Tbf, I have trouble seeing a lot of these characters motivations right now. Like, Tony's heel turn has completely changed from his previous characterisation. However, I've not really been following Civil War since I'm a bit bored of Marvel stuff atm, so maybe they've explained it somewhere.

The comic off which the film is loosely based has some rather flimsy reasoning for all the heroes taking the sides that they took (and taking sides to begin with) as well. A lot of folks don't like it because it felt like a half-assed excuse to get all these characters fighting each other just to sell comics, and a lot of the motivations for the various heroes felt very out-of-character.

ryan299

WSJ Article with stuff from Terrio. Flash and Aquaman solo movies will continue their stories from JL.

“Given the scale, you would think the whole thing has a corporate stench, but the way we worked there was this quality of, ‘I can’t believe they’re letting us do this,’” Mr. Terrio said.

The screenwriter went to great lengths to establish the movie’s titular conflict as more than the traditional comic-book gimmick of two superheroes tricked by a villain.

“In superhero stories, Batman is Pluto, god of the underworld, and Superman is Apollo, god of the sky,” observed Mr. Terrio. “That began to be really interesting to me—that their conflict is not just due to manipulation, but their very existence.”

About WW:
“If you bring in a character in a kinetic way, then you accept the reality more easily,” said Mr. Terrio.

JL:
Mr. Terrio recently finished his script for “Justice League,” which starts shooting next month, giving him a key role defining the big- screen versions of DC superheroes. To prepare, the writer says he studied red- and blueshifts in electromagnetic physics to think about the Flash, investigated deep sea biology in the Mariana trench to create the world of Aquaman, and read the Greek historian Diodorus of Sicily’s account of the war between Amazon and Atlantis to better understand Wonder Woman.

“If you told me the most rigorous dramaturgical and intellectual product of my life would be superhero movies, I would have said you were crazy,” the screenwriter said.

BN-NA174_DC_20j_M_20160310124322.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It does look super bland, even for an MCU movie. Shockingly bad.

Also that two teams running to each other thing might be the dumbest thing I've seen in any super hero movie yet. Hilarious.
That scence at what looks like an airport? Yeah, was laughably bad. Everything else looked pretty good though. I'm used to MCU movies having very little atmosphere by now. That's just how they roll.

Yeesh. That Spiderman bit in Civil War looked awful. What the hell was going on with his eyes. He looks like a cartoon character.

I thought the whole trailer was a bit underwhelming. As a Spidey fan myself, I am happy to see him there but yeah the costume is not the best. The film looks fine though but to be honest I'm too hyped for BvS to care about anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom