• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

So much Justice League Hype. Going with my predictions

Wonder Woman - Half WWI half Modern day agaisnt Ares and Circe.
Justice League - Throne of Atlantis
Aquaman - The Trench/ Black Manta
The Flash - The Trail of Barry Allen.
Justice League 2 - Darkseid
The Batman - Red Hood
Shazam - The Geoff Johns Orgin.
Man of Steel 2 - Braniac and Metallo
Cyborg - No clue
Green Lantern Corps - The War of Light?

Wonder Woman - Mostly WW1 with bits of modern day pre-BvS here and there.

Justice League - With the rumours of GL not showing up until part 2, I reckon we'll get Throne of Atlantis in part 1 and then GL showing up last second to warn of a Darkseid invasion.

Aquaman - Origin and Orm.

The Flash - The murder of Nora Allen.

Justice League 2 - Darkseid.

Batman - Under The Red Hood.

Man of Steel 2 - Brainiac.

Green Lantern - Red Lanterns.

Cyborg - Cancel it please.

Tabby

Nah, don't cancel Cyborg, just retool it. Have him leading the Titans in his solo movie.

Oh, and GLC should definitely be Sinestro Corps War.

Titans movie? I'd be down with that.

I'd love a Sinestro Corp War but I want to see at least one movie where he's a mentor before he turns evil.

shingi70

Banned
I could Cyborg either working as a thriller similar to Winter Solider (Robot guy is propery of the United States) or make it a Teen Titans film with him Mentoring the upcoming heroes. Hell I'd use the line up from the upcoming DTV film.

Robin
Starfire
Beast Boy
Blue Beetle
Raven

tim1138

I want the Green Lantern Corps movie to be the War of Light and Batman to be anything but Red Hood. I will seriously never understand y'alls obsession with Red Hood.

shingi70 said:
I could Cyborg either working as a thriller similar to Winter Solider (Robot guy is propery of the United States)

That'd be pretty similar to Flashpoint Cyborg actually, I would be down for that

I want the Green Lantern Corps movie to be the War of Light and Batman to be anything but Red Hood. I will seriously never understand y'alls obsession with Red Hood.

That'd be pretty similar to Flashpoint Cyborg actually, I would be down for that

The animated movie is sooooo goooood.

I could Cyborg either working as a thriller similar to Winter Solider (Robot guy is propery of the United States) or make it a Teen Titans film with him Mentoring the upcoming heroes. Hell I'd use the line up from the upcoming DTV film.

Robin
Starfire
Beast Boy
Blue Beetle
Raven

Beetle and 'Borg have a lot of overlap. Not sure how well that'd play, especially with Jaime being 1000000000x more interesting.

ryan299

Faraci went off today. Wrote a whole article about how he's biased and it's good to be bias. This is after he was attacked by DC fans on twitter.

Just a bizarre situation.

Rooster12

With James Wan quoting Lovecraft and Terrio apparently looking at deep-sea life for some reason, I'd wager that we're gonna get most/all of it under water.

James Wan will definitely show us Aquaman's pimpin ride

PW6XKei.jpg

You all hatin' on cyborg.

Now I'm hoping they just say fuck it and get some a-list director and give him/her no ground rules. Ends up delivering film of the decade Cyborg. James Cameron Cyborg, lets do dis.

It's not really out of the blue though. Collateral damage has always mattered and they've always made a point to try and minimize it as much as possible. It's a natural progression in the MCU story line from the Thor's appearance spurning the formation of the Avengers and reopening tesseract research to the fall of SHIELD and now the Sokovia incident. The world let the Avengers operate without any supervision once and they created a genocidal AI and dropped a city from the sky. This is a pretty fun super-cut of the lead up to Civil War. The sound gets garbled towards the end but most of it is pretty well put together.

I'll have to watch it when I get home, but I feel like the revelation of SHIELD being Hydra would shake the faith of the public in the US Government, more than the Avengers who defended the earth from aliens. Still they didn't really do anything in the aftermath of AoU, it was handled about as badly as MoS's jarring cut from Zod's death to the drone scene. They didn't show a fallout between Cap/Iron Man or the public's reaction to Sarkovia. A few extra scenes would have went a long way to leading to Civil War.

shingi70

Banned
The animated movie is sooooo goooood.

Beetle and 'Borg have a lot of overlap. Not sure how well that'd play, especially with Jaime being 1000000000x more interesting.

You assume I mean Jamie. :p

Honestly having Blue and Cy bond over having cybernetics would be pretty cool.

Honestly though for Cyborg I'd go Solo film route and have it be him on the run from the goverment who wants his tech like the Current comic story is. Bio-hacking is a big deal so I'd really explore that and normal people with disabilities who want technology. In fact for the bad guys I'd use a mix of

I'd go back to Flashpoint Cyborg where after the Justice League he's one of the most beloved heroes on the Planet and not just an also fan like in the new 52. I'd make his powers like they are now Big Organic and changing to fit the ocasion so he can go from looking from

cyborg.jpg

to
img_0146.jpg

and even
88B16epl.jpg

Penguin

Faraci went off today. Wrote a whole article about how he's biased and it's good to be bias. This is after he was attacked by DC fans on twitter.

Just a bizarre situation.

Glad, he is being honest.

Now we don't need certain parties coming in here telling folks they are paranoid

guek

Banned
Still they didn't really do anything in the aftermath of AoU, it was handled about as badly as MoS's jarring cut from Zod's death to the drone scene. They didn't show a fallout between Cap/Iron Man or the public's reaction to Sarkovia. A few extra scenes would have went a long way to leading to Civil War.

I agree :-(

Cyborg has a clean slate and a boom tube, they can literally take him anywhere. You could go to Rann or Thanagar, you could do a story with the Manhunters, you could do a story on New Genesis that fleshes out the new gods, giving more background with Darkseid. You could do the Reach, White Martians. Cyborg could do literally any team up he wants to.

Anyway I think

WW - mostly WW1, outro will be modern day. I expect seeds to be planted, like JSA (reimagined as government mystery men rather than public super heroes). Circe & Ares for her opponents.

JL - Throne of Atlantis, Orm is assisted by Darkseid in some manner. Maybe he agrees with Darkseid to help the land invasion so long as he leaves the Oceans alone.

Aquaman - Deals with the fallout of JL, fractured kingdom that he has to rule, has to fight against Black Manta who's controlling the trench creatures.

Flash - really have no idea. I think it will be more comedic, so I imagine the rogues and it ends with Flash discovering the speed force, which draws the attention of Zoom.

Shazam - I honestly have no idea for this one either. If they do Billy I think they'll do something similar to his Origin story for new 52, but more detail about Black Adam's past. So far it sounds like they're sharing the same amount of screen time. Maybe they'll team up to fight Sivana who unleashes Sabbac. Or it could just be simply Billy vs Black Adam.

JL Part 2 - If MoS2 doesn't already take Brainiac, then I think Brainiac. Could also do Legion of Doom :p. Legion of Doom would be Luthor, Manta, Black Adam, Zoom, Cheetah, Bizzarro, Deathstroke.

Cyborg - no idea, anything possible.

GLC - Manhunters, fall of Sinestro, Hal & John.

shingi70

Banned
Bought the Throne of Atlantis Hardcover/movie bundle. The book works much better with Orm being a dude who sees himself as saving his brother and his people by Invading the Surface World

Ahasverus

Excuse my fanboyism but the cinematography of the CW trailer looks sooo bad compared to the BvS one. I mean, the biggest clash of titans of the year and they shoot it on an airport with flat lighting? Ok.Gif. So,so bad.

Thank god for Fong, he just brings incredible things to life. The SS cinematography looks very good too. Come on Marvel, you have thousands of pieces of great art to take inspiration from.

duckroll

Excuse my fanboyism but the cinematography of the CW trailer looks sooo bad compared to the BvS one. I mean, the biggest clash of titans of the year and they shoot it on an airport with flat lighting? Ok.Gif. So,so bad.

Thank god for Fong, he just brings incredible things to life. The SS cinematography looks very good too. Come on Marvel, you have thousands of pieces of great art to take inspiration from.

Huh? What does this have to do with the DC Cinematic Universe?

Ahasverus

Huh? What does this have to do with the DC Cinematic Universe?
That we should glad at the very least it has a very strong artistic direction. No ill intention here, it's that I'd hate if Batman was introduced in a gray airport, and as a spidey fan, I was thrilled to see it, but I'd love to have an introducing scene as artistically strong as those from Fong on those films.

Magwik

Banned
That we should glad at the very least it has a very strong artistic direction. No ill intention here, it's that I'd hate if Batman was introduced in a gray airport, and as a spidey fan, I was thrilled to see it, but I'd love to have an introducing scene as artistically strong as those from Fong on those films.
I will agree, but only to the extent that it applies to the Russos outdoor scenes. Everything indoors looks absolutely ace. The only reason the highway scene worked in TWS is because the film is much more grounded.

Ahasverus

I will agree, but only to the extent that it applies to the Russos outdoor scenes. Everything indoors looks absolutely ace. The only reason the highway scene worked in TWS is because the film is much more grounded.
Agreed, the indoor scenes look very good and feel gritty and real.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Throne of Atlantis would be great for JL, I don't care it has been done already in the animated movies. It's a good story, and it's perfect for making Aquaman look good. The animated movie did a terrible job with it anyway, the book is much better and it's also different from the same old alien invasion thing, they just need to make Orm sympathetic and not straight up evil.

Also I think the DCEU is too early for them to start dealing with cosmic threats, introduce the cosmic stuff with GL.

duckroll

I dunno, cinematography has been universally weak in Marvel films, but the Russos really impress with how they stage actual scenes. Maybe it doesn't make for great trailer beats, but damn the hand to hand combat in TWS was fantastic. Their close ups are also fantastic. Snyder's weakness (and strength in some cases) is that his action is inspired heavily by videogames and anime, very virtual style action, which can have great scale, but lacks weight in actual set pieces. Snyder is amazing at composing iconic wide shots though, especially with pure posing from the characters.

I'm excited to see how he handles robosuit Batman because it's that sort of hyperstylized stuff that plays to Snyder's strengths. The Batman taking on thugs scene in the trailer was Arkham as hell, and not really to my liking. Especially since it's still the same dark as hell can't-see-shit sort of lighting that Nolan used too - albeit with way better editing. :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm excited to see how he handles robosuit Batman because it's that sort of hyperstylized stuff that plays to Snyder's strengths. The Batman taking on thugs scene in the trailer was Arkham as hell, and not really to my liking. Especially since it's still the same dark as hell can't-see-shit sort of lighting that Nolan used too - albeit with way better editing. :p

That scene was pretty well lit and you could follow the action perfectly, there were no quick cuts or shaky cams. It looked really, really good.

It looked nothing like Batman Begins IMO.

Just ordered a new shirt I found, I hope it's here in time for bvs :p. Love that it spells out the pantheon.

Exactly.

Evil Orm is something that's best left in the past.

I agree, I like how John's villains (or atleast the way he writes them) start with good intentions and are just twisted along the way. I hope that carries over to the DCEU. I especially want to see his Zoom. Blitz would never be adapted to the big screen, probably a bit too dark.

duckroll

That scene was pretty well lit and you could follow the action perfectly, there were no quick cuts or shaky cams. It looked really, really good.

It looked nothing like Batman Begins IMO.

No I agree with the editing and action. Nolan action is nonsense, even when the movies are amazing. :p

I'm referring to the general "look" of the setting. It's yet another abandoned building thing, at night, with a lot of dark lighting, with Batman popping out of the shadows to pwn everyone in succession. Yes, I know it's how Batman traditionally is. That's fine, I just find it boring! Batman in a mecha suit though? Sign me the fuck up.

ryan299

Updated tracking numbers

Opening Weekend: Mayimbe thinks good reviews will get it to 175-185, great will do 200+ based on these numbers.

First Choice: 25% up from 23%

31% males under 25, 31% up from 28% males over 25, 19% up from 16% females under 25, 18% up from 15% females over 25

Males under 25 stayed the same.

He says print press sees the film next week.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Marvel is huge on gaf, though I'm surprised the ticket thread is only 2 pages. I'm interested to see if it will match BvS's %tickets sold through the day.
Call me crazy but I think when it's all said and done BvS will out gross CW by a couple hundred million. Civil War while being a Marvel flick and having RDJ has basically been done with 2 Avenger films. BvS is a first and even more of an event film IMO. Time will tell.

Updated tracking numbers

Opening Weekend: Mayimbe thinks good reviews will get it to 175-185, great will do 200+ based on these numbers.

First Choice: 25% up from 23%

31% males under 25, 31% up from 28% males over 25, 19% up from 16% females under 25, 18% up from 15% females over 25

Males under 25 stayed the same.

He says print press sees the film next week.
I'm liking my 205 prediction more and more as we get closer.

Penguin

The Civil War trailer thread already has half the pages of this thread. Hasn't even been 12 hours yet. Lol.

Remember that this wasn't a catch-all discussion thread until the BvS thread closed down

And even still a lot of conversation splintered off onto multiple threads

No I agree with the editing and action. Nolan action is nonsense, even when the movies are amazing. :p

I'm referring to the general "look" of the setting. It's yet another abandoned building thing, at night, with a lot of dark lighting, with Batman popping out of the shadows to pwn everyone in succession. Yes, I know it's how Batman traditionally is. That's fine, I just find it boring! Batman in a mecha suit though? Sign me the fuck up.

The Dark Knight has inspired action scenes around that concept. Extracting Lau in Hong Kong. Bats protecting hostages from SWAT while protecting SWAT from Joker goons.

What I mean to say is, there can be more to it. Or it can be an intro to how bad-ass the gosh dang Batman is.

duckroll

The only cinema chain with IMAX (digital) screens here is only getting BvS in IMAX 3D. No IMAX 2D. So I decided to book tickets for the next biggest screen in the country at another chain with Dolby Atmos instead.

3D can blow me. :(

The only cinema chain with IMAX (digital) screens here is only getting BvS in IMAX 3D. No IMAX 2D. So I decided to book tickets for the next biggest screen in the country at another chain with Dolby Atmos instead.

No no no. 4D can blow you. Only theater is in New York.

Magwik

Banned

My choice is either (lie)IMAX 3D or nothing because the only real IMAX theater on the entire side of the state is used for educational movies. :(

Penguin

I feel so pity now

My choices are real IMAX, 4D... and think AMC Prime... so many different ways I can experience this movie...

I love 3D. I watch any movie that's released in 3D on the format. I love the depth, and it makes some stuff look super dope.

Anyway, it looks I'll be watching the movie with my family, possibly on one of the early Thursday night showings on the 24th. Still not sure which theater. Might be the one at Universal Studios, since my new step-family members wanted to go look at the shops at the boardwalk. The theater there has an IMAX screen, but I think it might be one of the so-called "LIEMAX" screens. There's a true IMAX screen elsewhere, about the same distance from here, but I'm not sure if we'll go there yet.

Magwik

Banned
I feel so pity now

My choices are real IMAX, 4D... and think AMC Prime... so many different ways I can experience this movie...
I'm honestly just upset that a movie filmed in Detroit won't actually be available to watch in real IMAX in Detroit.

Call me crazy but I think when it's all said and done BvS will out gross CW by a couple hundred million. Civil War while being a Marvel flick and having RDJ has basically been done with 2 Avenger films. BvS is a first and even more of an event film IMO. Time will tell.

I'm liking my 205 prediction more and more as we get closer.

Yeah I think BvS certainly has a lot of momentum right now. Even Obama shilling.

There's gonna be some new footage tonight apparently. In some tv show on USA.

I've seen enough at this point. 2 weeks is a breeze.

shingi70

Banned
Yeah I think i'm done watching clips and going to avoid spoilers. Just plan to stay in this thread and maybe the OT.

Hoping in BvS or SS we get the Joker Batman Darling moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom