• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
99E08138-EE7E-45B0-8046-45D624487E00.png.jpeg

This makes me want to avatar-quote myself.

Verendus

Banned
Hey Verendus, I keep hearing how dark this movie is. What's your opinion on bringing my 5 year old?
If it was my 5 year old, I wouldn't take him to see this movie. I feel it'd be a bit too violent and tonally inappropriate. Around 8 and above, then I don't see much of an issue at all, but 5 year olds are still a bit too young. That's mostly because of Batman, and some of the violence. There are a few scenes, when taken in context of the entire movie being pretty heavy, that could make a kid that young feel uncomfortable. It does also have many things a kid would like. In general, I wouldn't recommend it though.

You know your kid best. What kind of movies has he seen at that age?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
On a scale of 1 to 10
how great is the Luthor going bald scene?

ryan299

Jeff Sneider on his youtube show said he talked to a source who saw the film and didn't enjoy it. The source said "It's a WB DC film." From that I get that they didn't like the tone of it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If it was my 5 year old, I wouldn't take him to see this movie. I feel it'd be a bit too violent and tonally inappropriate. Around 8 and above, then I don't see much of an issue at all, but 5 year olds are still a bit too young. That's mostly because of Batman, and some of the violence. There are a few scenes, when taken in context of the entire movie being pretty heavy, that could make a kid that young feel uncomfortable. It does also have many things a kid would like. In general, I wouldn't recommend it though.

You know your kid best. What kind of movies has he seen at that age?
He's seen many pg13s but everyone is different. Thanks for the reply.

Jeff Sneider on his youtube show said he talked to a source and who saw the film and didn't enjoy it. he said "It's a WB DC film." From that I get that they didn't like the tone of it.

WTH does that mean? Did he say the same about Nolan's trilogy?

Rooster12

Welp, there is still a lot of negativity surrounding this movie (mostly Superman).

On non-comic boards or just general entertainment boards most people are saying the same crap (looks stuid, too serious and dark, Superman is boring, Marvel is better etc...)

Even if this movie does well, I doubt it will change the general perception.

Yager

Banned
Welp, there is still a lot of negativity surrounding this movie (mostly Superman).

On non-comic boards or just general entertainment boards most people are saying the same crap (looks stuid, too serious and dark, Superman is boring, Marvel is better etc...)

Unfortunately for a lot of people comic books "are for children", like it was with videogames until a couple of years. Of course those are people that have never read one.

Cooter

If BvS does well and SS lives up to the hype things will begin to change. There aren't that many hardcore Marvel fans out there.

rokero

It could be the novelty factor, of course, but when you have scenes like
Superman bowing to Lex
, rumours like Wonder Woman
decapitating Dooomsday (which is a Superman villain after all, Supes should deliver the final and fatal blow)
and this image here: , they make me nervous Superman is being treated like a coadjuvant in his own movie, and kind being a little bitch.

this isn't MOS 2 so it's not Superman's movie

Jeff Sneider on his youtube show said he talked to a source who saw the film and didn't enjoy it. The source said "It's a WB DC film." From that I get that they didn't like the tone of it.

that's a good thing.

meh. most people liked MoS anyway.

If BvS does well and SS lives up to the hype things will begin to change. There aren't that many hardcore Marvel fans out there.

comic or movie wise?

Anth0ny

that perception hardly effected the commercial and critical success of the dark knight trilogy

the haters are just a vocal minority. going by GAF you'd think dark knight rises was worse than transformers 2

also, anecdotal, my group of friends are super excited for BvS, and these are the same people who walked away from Man of Steel disappointed.

Verendus

Banned
I'd like to see a James Cameron directed Aquaman movie. I feel he would create something special in that underwater world. All the special effects that will be needed. It would be a visual feast.

Rooster12

I just thought that after 3 years and after all these trailers (especially Batman looking like the one we've deserved all along)...now that we are days away from the movie people are still saying the same crap.

Pretty disappointed.

I'd like to see a James Cameron directed Aquaman movie. I feel he would create something special in that underwater world. All the special effects that will be needed. It would be a visual feast.

But he would do the Aquaman origin in the most generic way possible.

"Lost wanderer looking for a home finds Atlantis, meets beautiful girl named Mera, has to take down the evil ruler Orm"

What does that sound like...no thanks.

Penguin

I just thought that after 3 years and after all these trailers (especially Batman looking like the one we've deserved all along)...now that we are days away from the movie people are still saying the same crap.

Pretty disappointed.

Eh

People will hold that opinion until the movie either proves them right or wrong.

It's like wearing rose-color glasses, everything will look that shade until you take it off.

You ever discussed with someone about something, and at one point, you know the other guy is wrong, factually wrong and you think to yourself, is this guy stupid or just too proud to admit he was wrong.

That will be the case here too.

Verendus

Banned
Shot in the dark, Affleck won't go shirtless in JL. Once he's established Bruce's physique in BvS, let the muscle layer of the suit do the work. My preference is a slimmer Bats than what we've seen in BvS.
You know what Ben Affleck's nickname is going to be once people have seen BvS? Not Buttman. Not Fatman. Not Fatfleck. Not Batfleck. But Beastman.

Because that's what he is. He's a goddamn monster. While I still like Christian Bale best as the definitive Batman, I can see this new Batman taking that title once he gets his own movies, and we start really exploring his character. There is a lot of potential there.

And when Batman is down and out in Justice League, but starts mounting that comeback, I want Perry to be there so he can say the words, "He's beginning to balee."

Edit:

Jeff Sneider mentioned someone not liking BvS because ,tonally, it was "a DC WB movie".
You know what else was a DC Warner Bros. movie?

Catwoman.

Uh oh.

VenomBoss

Banned
Longer expanded Terrio interview:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...ision-for-batman-superman-and-justice-league/

What’s your background in comic books, if any, and what were your inspirations for this movie?

The first movie I ever saw was “Superman 2.” I almost drowned in a pool at age four playing Aquaman.

I went away from comics for most of my life. But I stayed on top of super-hero movies. The ones that intrigued me the most were the [Christopher] Nolan’s films. They were ways of asking interesting questions in a genre form. We stand on the shoulders of those films in a way. Nolan helped establish a space in which super-hero movies can be taken more seriously. We thought a lot about those films, to a point where I had to stop watching “The Dark Knight” because I found I was rewriting it.

It’s impossible to know everything in the DC universe, but I threw myself into it and tried to learn as much as possible and I found such intelligence in so many of the comics. Obviously Frank Miller is a well-known and respected writer who influences this film very directly. Also writers like Grant Morrison, who asks difficult philosophical questions in an extremely smart way. I tried to take in as much as I could while also keeping a little bit of an outsider’s eye.

Was there any question in your mind you’d write “Justice League” as well?

I initially thought I wasn’t the guy to do “Justice League” and went off to work on something else. But the first day I went to the set, I saw Jesse [Eisenberg] in a scene with Holly Hunter and I really did feel like I was watching some strange, great performance in an independent film.

At that moment, I thought, “I’m not done with this yet. I want to go back and keep telling the story.” “Batman v Superman” is a bit of an “Empire Strikes Back” or “Two Towers” or any similar middle film in a trilogy. The middle film tends to be the darkest one. I do think from “Man of Steel” through “Justice League,” it is one saga really.

I expect “Justice League” will be tonally not quite as dark as “Batman v Superman.” From that point of view, I felt compelled to go back and try to lift us and myself into a different tonal place because I think when you write a darker film, sometimes you want to redeem it all a bit.

There are many more DC movies to come, including a second “Justice League.” Will you be writing more?

I have written “Justice League Part One,” but I won’t necessarily write “Part Two.”
This has been the most rigorous intellectual exercise I’ve had in my writing life. For “Batman v Superman,” I wanted to really dig into everything from ideas about American power to the structure of revenge tragedies to the huge canon of DC Comics to Amazon mythology.

Can't recall which recent article has it. In response to a Deadpool question, Snyder mentions a talk he had with Nolan. Nolan told him Watchmen was made too soon; that audiences weren't prepped for it. Not an original sentiment but he's right.

You know what else was a DC Warner Bros. movie?

Catwoman.

Uh oh.

Batman v Superman falls somewhere between Catwoman or Jonah Hex and The Dark Knight.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Can't recall which recent article has it. In response to a Deadpool question, Snyder mentions a talk he had with Nolan. Nolan told him Watchmen was made too soon; that audiences weren't prepped for it. Not an original sentiment but he's right.

Batman v Superman falls somewhere between Catwoman or Jonah Hex and The Dark Knight.

Of all of Snyder's film, Watchmen is the one that has aged surprisingly well. I can't watch 300 anymore, and I liked it back when I watched it on theaters. Watchmen, though... Specially the DC.

Ahasverus

I know. How strange. What did he expect going in, a GotG type film?
Everything has to be Marvel. Then in a few years when the lightearted style is out of fashion, deconstructed, or more probably, abandoned even by Marvel (Which seems to be getting darker with each main iteration) suddenly WB movies will become cult and be lauded as the "underrrated gems" of the genre years from now.

Simo

Man, I was watching some reviews of the BvS merch on YouTube and came across this video of a guy who got the 31" Jakks Pacific Batman figure, that retails for around $30, and customized it to look more screen accurate with some shoe polish, model paint and a new cap and the final result blew my mind! lol

So not sure if you guys have seen it but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9z-NOCst-Q

duckroll

What kind of hack writer will say "I really do think that it's one whole Saga through to Justice League" in one breath, and then say "I won’t necessarily write Justice League Part Two" in another? Lol.

"Oh man this thing is one huge story I want to tell. I'm so committed!"

"But maybe I'm not committed enough to see it through to the final movie!"

ryan299

What kind of hack writer will say "I really do think that it's one whole Saga through to Justice League" in one breath, and then say "I won’t necessarily write Justice League Part Two" in another? Lol.

He meant through JL1. MoS through JL1 is a trilogy to him. BvS he compared to Empire Strikes Back bc of their dark nature.

Cooter

An Oscar winning hack writer! He clearly says he sees MoS, BvS, and JLp1 as a trilogy.

duckroll

He meant through JL1. MoS through JL1 is a trilogy to him. BvS he compared to Empire Strikes Back bc of their dark nature.

So JL1 and JL2 are not continuations of the same movie? JL2 is a sequel forced on by the studio without any interest from the writer?! I see...

Ahasverus

1- JL2 is not the final movie, GL and Flash come later. It's not "Part 2", it's just 2.
2- He has a vision, we should respect that
3- It's easier for him to write a good coherent trilogy than a good septology
So JL1 and JL2 are not continuations of the same movie? JL2 is a sequel forced on by the studio without any interest from the writer?! I see...
It's not forced, it's a team up in another arc, like Age of Ultron or whatever, Terrio is not the only writer on the DCU, you could say Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and the others are forced sequels too.

Calling the most talented guy on board, with has shown more respect to the material than any other writer in the medium, a hack writer, is unfair and nonsensical. Just say you don't like the WB way and call it a day.

duckroll

It's not forced, it's a team up in another arc, like Age of Ultron or whatever

It is? Do we know this? If that's the case why is it called Justice League Part One and Justice League Part Two? When it was announced they clearly said that Batman v Superman was going to lead into a "two part Justice League movie" also directed by Snyder. Are you just assuming this because it would make what Terrio said sound less like he's thinking of bailing out after half a film?

It may be too smart for the general audience. I'm really worried.

It's true. Intellect is certainly measured by using big words in interviews and name dropping famous writers.

Ahasverus

It is? Do we know this? If that's the case why is it called Justice League Part One and Justice League Part Two? When it was announced they clearly said that Batman v Superman was going to lead into a "two part Justice League movie" also directed by Snyder. Are you just assuming this because it would make what Terrio said sound less like he's thinking of bailing out after half a film?
They changed the titles months ago. They didn't have Terrio on board when they announced the film.

Edit: I'm trying to find the source but I can't find it, I can swear I read that once, with some WB guy telling the reporter not to call JL part two anymore, yet the EW article has it called like that. It's weird.

Ashhong

I love 3D. I watch any movie that's released in 3D on the format. I love the depth, and it makes some stuff look super dope.

Anyway, it looks I'll be watching the movie with my family, possibly on one of the early Thursday night showings on the 24th. Still not sure which theater. Might be the one at Universal Studios, since my new step-family members wanted to go look at the shops at the boardwalk. The theater there has an IMAX screen, but I think it might be one of the so-called "LIEMAX" screens. There's a true IMAX screen elsewhere, about the same distance from here, but I'm not sure if we'll go there yet.

I'm guessing CA? Lie Max is so laughably bad. I hate that. Definitely go to a real one. I'm going to the Universal City one myself. It's the only one with the movie with the full IMAX aspect ratio scenes that take up the whole screen

And it's 2D, just how I like it.

I'm guessing CA? Lie Max is so laughably bad. I hate that. Definitely go to a real one. I'm going to the Universal City one myself. It's the only one with the movie with the full IMAX aspect ratio scenes that take up the whole screen

And it's 2D, just how I like it.
Florida. I live 20 or so minutes from Universal Studios.

IconGrist

It's true. Intellect is certainly measured by using big words in interviews and name dropping famous writers.

They dropped the Part One/Two subtitles recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom