• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a funny thing. In the Chinese fan event thing, Ben and Henry were given posted to sign. Said posters actually had a heading and blessing for a nearly married couple.

China ships Ben and Henry he he

Here's the pic in question

2VUnRZZ.jpg

Magwik

Banned
Maybe not for the DCU.....but that movie.....Ehhhhhh........Kind of does.
Kal doesn't kill Zod because he had no choice....he just didn't know what else to do.

Look here's what I don't get. The cartoons made an engaging Superman who was....the Superman I described....you know....what he actually is *shrugs*.....

So why are people acting like the Superman that was presented was the only way....the best way to make him ?

If they had presented Supes AS HE IS......That would have been riveting as fuck. Zod trying to (I mean actively making an effort) to kill people and Superman just fighting him every step of the way trying to convince and coerce him this isn't the way.....given it's just him and Zod as the last two of their planet.

But Zod's not having it. He's bloodthirsty now.

Watching Superman just go through the options spinning in his head.....as he just got closer and closer to the inevitable.

That would of culminated in the one decision he never wanted THE ONE DECISION this whole fight was about him trying to avoid and THEN resulted in this.

Had the movie made of an effort to play up the approach of the movie you just described there would have been no problem.

But instead we got a DBZ fight with no consequences (no blood, no bruising, people mostly likely dying no one caring).

And then the movie telling me hey......this is the part where you're sad now.
1. There literally is nothing Clark could have done against Zod. He pleaded with him many times already, Zod is getting increasingly stronger in power the more he's on Earth, and has gone completely fucking batshit insane. Prisons won't hold him, can't send him to the phantom zone, Clark realized the fight needed to end the second he personally witnessed what was happening to civilians. Even before killing him he pleads for Zod to stop. What more do you want?
2. Nobody is acting like there's only one way to portray Superman or that one way is better than the other except for you. Superman TAS is great, but you can't have a grounded world and a Superman similar to that one in the same movie. That version of Superman is too tied with the Reeves movies (and Returns) and each of those are extremely cartoony, the type of zaniness that isn't really happening in the DCU.
3. You need to look at the movie for what it is, not what it isn't. This isn't the Superman from the Reeves movies or the TAS (yet). He's a person and a character whose yet to fully grow. Oh and also there are dozens of interpretations of Superman. The version you're pleading for hasn't been prevelant in comics for years.

Rodger Dodger

Neo Member
1. There literally is nothing Clark could have done against Zod. He pleaded with him many times already, Zod is getting increasingly stronger in power the more he's on Earth, and has gone completely fucking batshit insane. Prisons won't hold him, can't send him to the phantom zone, Clark realized the fight needed to end the second he personally witnessed what was happening to civilians. Even before killing him he pleads for Zod to stop. What more do you want?
2. Nobody is acting like there's only one way to portray Superman or that one way is better than the other except for you. Superman TAS is great, but you can't have a grounded world and a Superman similar to that one in the same movie. That version of Superman is too tied with the Reeves movies (and Returns) and each of those are extremely cartoony, the type of zaniness that isn't really happening in the DCU.
3. You need to look at the movie for what it is, not what it isn't. This isn't the Superman from the Reeves movies or the TAS (yet). He's a person and a character whose yet to fully grow. Oh and also there are dozens of interpretations of Superman. The version you're pleading for hasn't been prevelant in comics for years.

1. I know. Also......What ? he didn't have the entire fight to realize what it was doing to the civilians ? Lol....I mean.....guys ? Really ?

2. Noooooooo......They made a movie about Superman and didn't have him be Superman and/or act like Superman......Seriously what the fuck is this ? I get he's "new" at this 33 years....What was he doing this whole time ? But lets sidestep that. Why can't a Superman as he IS....be presented as he IS in OUR world today ?Wouldn't the appeal of that be amazing ? Could a guy like that survive in having his will tested mentally, physically in our jaded world would his principles change ? In a post 9/11 world you don't think we need a guy like that ?

3. Son, He's 33 years old ? WHAT ? WHAT IS THIS ?? Yeah, I'm more of a proponent for the Cartoons. Paul Dini......I mean.....that guy.....killed it.

I don't fuck with the Reeves movies like that. Not a big reader if the comics,,,,,I don't hink Superman Returns is THAT bad. Lol. Honestly, if you think about it.

The Matrix movies 1 and 2 serve as a better implementation of a Superman Story than Man of Steel ever did.

I accept what he is......I just question it. I like to think, lol. I don't know.

IconGrist

There's a billion threads to argue about Man of Steel. Please stop shitting up the general threads with it. There was a new MoS thread just a few days ago.

And Returns is awful. Deadbeat stalker rapist father Superman is "not that bad"? I question anyone who calls that a Superman movie.

Ashhong

1. I know. Also......What ? he didn't have the entire fight to realize what it was doing to the civilians ? Lol....I mean.....guys ? Really ?

2. Noooooooo......They made a movie about Superman and didn't have him be Superman and/or act like Superman......Seriously what the fuck is this ? I get he's "new" at this 33 years....What was he doing this whole time ? But lets sidestep that. Why can't a Superman as he IS....be presented as he IS in OUR world today ?Wouldn't the appeal of that be amazing ? Could a guy like that survive in having his will tested mentally, physically in our jaded world would his principles change ? In a post 9/11 world you don't think we need a guy like that ?

3. Son, He's 33 years old ? WHAT ? WHAT IS THIS ?? Yeah, I'm more of a proponent for the Cartoons. Paul Dini......I mean.....that guy.....killed it.

I don't fuck with the Reeves movies like that. Not a big reader if the comics,,,,,I don't hink Superman Returns is THAT bad. Lol. Honestly, if you think about it.

The Matrix movies 1 and 2 serve as a better implementation of a Superman Story than Man of Steel ever did.

I accept what he is......I just question it. I like to think, lol. I don't know.

Your posts are impossible to understand and follow..

What do you mean Superman in our world? MoS was Superman, just not the one you wanted apparently

Firemind

That's one hell of a totp.

Supes is like "Your breath stinks"

Reeaaaaally don't like this Supes, in the book it rubbed me the wrong way too. He came off as a bully and looked like he enjoyed every minute of it. At least Snyder's Supes is like annoyed and tries to talk Batman out of a fight "Stay down if I wanted you'd be dead already" like 'dude just stop'.
Exactly. He's a straight A cunt. Someone who wants recognition for his feats. The forced romance with WW was awful as well.

I definitely like the 'little boys' line from Gal, implying she's not very impressed with Supes and Bats. Hopefully that sets the stage for
a love/hate relationship with Bats in which she's impressed with Bruce's ingenuity but dislikes that he's paranoid a la Tower of Babel.

Rodger Dodger

Neo Member
Your posts are impossible to understand and follow..

What do you mean Superman in our world? MoS was Superman, just not the one you wanted apparently

.....I wouldn't say that.....Basically what they advertised in trailer 3 I thought we were gonna get....I must be the only one ? *shrug*

Also....isn't the world that is present in Man of Steel and soon to be BVS a take on modern day society ? or Am I bugging ?...Cause I could of sworn that's what they were going for....Right ?

This isn't about My superman. My superman is a fucking cartoon. Lol. I have already seen AS GOOD as it's gonna get.

This about a good Superman story....period.

So if we're gonna lie to ourselves now....and say yeah, That was a good Superman story...

I just want to know now......

Because I want to prepare myself for the next 10 years of people telling me that movies like that and the crop of DC movies to come out are "top 5 comic book movies ever made" or "the best comic movie ever made" or "ever made since" such and such I just want get myself ready......to just clock out.

Because while I'm a DC fan.....and a Marvel fan (I can get jiggy with what they're doing at fox too).

I'll just know when it comes to DC movies....I'm just gonna be eh.....just ehhh.....ehhhhh. Because.....ehhhh.....There is nothing I can do. That's just what it is. I have to accept it. I'll still see it. I'll care.....but when I see Marvel and just how much love and attention and fun they have for their product and then I'll look at DC and how much they're hate-fucking something I like.

I'll just know to shrug my shoulders and say okay, Lol. I'm not gonna stan for any one thing. I love all this shit.

But.......at this point. *shrugs* okay.

Firemind

I always have a bit of a laugh when people believe a film in a connected work of films is retroactively ruined because of another film released before or after that ends up being a disappointment.

I think The Two Towers is a badly paced film, but I can still enjoy watching The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King. They're connected, but I can admire them for their qualities separately. Crazy concept.

There's a billion threads to argue about Man of Steel. Please stop shitting up the general threads with it. There was a new MoS thread just a few days ago.

And Returns is awful. Deadbeat stalker rapist father Superman is "not that bad"? I question anyone who calls that a Superman movie.

a bit hyperbolic with that.

https://youtu.be/HIMbqMmkZCI?t=3m2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGL6bed5yM

these scenes absolutely belong in a superman movie. i get why man of steel is absent of it but batman v superman would benefit from one of these. i see he's rescuing a shuttle and stuff in the trailers which is cool. he's a lot more graceful in returns too, it's hard to describe but cavill's superman looks less like a god and more of a scary alien you don't want to mess with. no wonder batman's so reactive haha.

hah, funnily enough you're pretty much being guilty of "not my superman" right now. how is it no more a superman film than man of steel?

it's fine to dislike the film, i don't think it was good outside of a few superman scenes, the score and lex luthor. but i roll my eyes at any form of the argument "it's a good/bad movie but not a good xmen/batman/superman etc." movie. as if there haven't been multiple interpretations of these old characters by now. plus he was doing superman shit throughout the entire film.

man of steel was the more controversial take on him but even that didn't veer from the character really. especially since he was inexperienced anyways. he's still a good boy to his mom and stuff.

IconGrist

hah, funnily enough you're pretty much being guilty of "not my superman" right now. how is it no more a superman film than man of steel?

Well, sure, if what you like about Superman is that one time he banged Lois, got her pregnant, wiped her memory of it, left for 5 years, comes back to see she is happy with new guy and has a kid, gets mad about it and tries to seduce her then stalks her finished up with breaking into her house.

nah, that was a mess. singer made a big mistake carrying on from the donner canon. but you're also being facetious about the film, as if the entire movie was framed around that crap subplot.

he was still the classic heroic superman that reeves kind of ingrained into a lot of people.

it's cool that they're going with another direction with the new one but it's also causing critics to be pretty hard on it too, sometimes it's tough to throw away something you're so used to. hopefully they realize that when they watch the new film and judge it on it's own merits.

would like him to soften up a little tho tbh. dude seems to be posturing so much. i don't really like marvel movies that much outside of a few but i think evans' captain america (mostly in 2) is a pretty ideal blueprint for the personality i'd prefer.

IconGrist

nah, that was a mess. singer made a big mistake carrying on from the donner canon. but you're also being facetious about the film, as if the entire movie was framed around that crap subplot.

he was still the classic heroic superman that reeves kind of ingrained into a lot of people.

it's cool that they're going with another direction with the new one but it's also causing critics to be pretty hard on it too, sometimes it's tough to throw away something you're so used to. hopefully they realize that when they watch the new film and judge it on it's own merits.

would like him to soften up a little tho tbh. dude seems to be posturing so much.

I have way more issues with Superman Returns than just that subplot but we were talking about the "not my Superman" thing so I kept it to that.

Batman v Superman reviews will be interesting especially regarding Superman. There were a lot of reviews that judged MoS very harshly because it wasn't the Superman they were used to from the Donner movies.Which I can understand if you're only experience with the character is from the Donner/Singer movies but I don't understand from a critical review. The character should be reviewed as presented rather than what it was not presented as.

Firemind

Well, sure, if what you like about Superman is that one time he banged Lois, got her pregnant, wiped her memory of it, left for 5 years, comes back to see she is happy with new guy and has a kid, gets mad about it and tries to seduce her then stalks her finished up with breaking into her house.
That actually happened in the film? LMAO

See this is what I love about the movie....and those who defend ut.....not that I'm against the movie.

It did good things.....It did bad things. You know how this shit goes.

But the.....Hmmm.......the......projection ? on part of it's fans.....is hindering to say the least.

Where is this "pushed to the that point" Zod said this....Zod said alot of things. Okay ?

Villains talk shit. That's what they do. Show me Movie. Show me.

Zod never made Superman STOP HIM from anything. I remember Zod saying he'll kill every last one of them and THEN they started fighting EACH OTHER.....THE ENTIRE TIME. Lol.

At no point does Zod make an effort to Kill anybody. What does follow is the low-keyest (not a real word, lol) unintentionally funny ass fight by Superman. Who you could make a case lead to more death and destruction in that fight than motherfucking Zod.

Where was the effort on Zod's part ?

Nobody is saying killing Zod was wrong.

The way he did it. A broken neck.....I mean if you want to get into the particulars.....How the fuck does that work ? But whatever.

What bothers me IS it's unearned. OUTTA NOWHERE.....ZOD....ZOOMS IN ON THIS RANDOM ASS FAMILY.......and says fuck this fight.

Imma zap the fuck outta that family !!! *lasers eyes*

In the context of the fight.....WHAT ?! Lol.

The movie is right there in front of you. What is with this bullshit conjecture ??

The movie did a shit job of presenting a guy with nothing to lose and a guy with no options. Period. Why are we acting like this is such a bad thing to admit ?

Why do we have to be hipster about shit and FIND a way to go in the wrong direction.

Why can't we just admit that ending made no sense and it was stupid as shit. OR.......at least.......admit.....they could've a WAY better job.

AT LEAST.....AT least. I think WE CAN ALL AGREE ON THAT or is this movie and the decisiveness of DC'S ENTIRE FUCKING FANBASE when it comes to this movie not making that clear. Lol.

emfdysi

That OST is pretty uninspiring and familiar with the exception of Men Are Still Good - which is outstanding. Hope Hans doesn't work on the Justice League project, I think we're ready for something new.

That OST is pretty uninspiring and familiar with the exception of Men Are Still Good - which is outstanding. Hope Hans doesn't work on the Justice League project, I think we're ready for something new.

I really wouldn't say its familiar IMO. The whole thing has this heavy horror vibe. Specifically must there be a superman?

I haven't heard a superhero ost like it really

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The movie is very dark (from what we know) so there is that. And if anything the Zimmer parts are the most inspiring, Junkie's parts are very dark. Which doesn't matter anyway, it doesn't need to be inspiring/dark or anything, it's supposed to enhance the scenes and simply go well with the movie. And if it does that, they did a great job. As a bonus some of these tracks are really great on their own.

Hope Zimmer stays for at least JL1 and JL2. After that he would probably get sick of it and move on. Wonder who'll they get, it's certainly going to be a downgrade.

Firemind

Just got Public Enemies as preview fodder. #TeamBats

I also saw some other DVDs for sale. Never really liked Bruce as a foster parent. Will Batman & Son, Batman & Robin and Batman: Bad Blood sway me?

Also how are Gods and Monsters and the Throne of Atlantis? Would you recommend them?

shingi70

Banned
Just got Public Enemies as preview fodder. #TeamBats

I also saw some other DVDs for sale. Never really liked Bruce as a foster parent. Will Batman & Son, Batman & Robin and Batman: Bad Blood sway me?

Also how are Gods and Monsters and the Throne of Atlantis? Would you recommend them?

Probably not as the parent son relationship is sorely underused in the Damien Trilogy. That said Parent Batman is best Batman.

Gods and Monsters is a good alt universe tale, and Throne of Atlantis is okay but doesn't reach the highs of the original tales. .

Firemind

Probably not as the parent son relationship is sorely underused in the Damien Trilogy. That said Parent Batman is best Batman.

Gods and Monsters is a good alt universe tale, and Throne of Atlantis is okay but doesn't reach the highs of the original tales. .
Thanks. Guess I'll only watch Public Enemies and Apocalypse to bide me until the 24th. Maybe Crisis on Two Earths as well.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how Doomsday will look like in the movie, Snyder is pretty on point with that stuff but in the second trailer it looked weird. Thought he'd be more buff, with spikes etc. Ohh well, worthless character anyway and the perfect 'villain' (not even that considering Luthor) for this film.

WhiteWolf

Anyone watching other Zack Snyder movies before BvS opens? I watched Watchmen directors cut last night and was wondering if anyone has seen the ultimate cut? If so, how does it compare to the directors cut? I really like the directors cut and enjoy the film more and more every time I see it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone watching other Zack Snyder movies before BvS opens? I watched Watchmen directors cut last night and was wondering if anyone has seen the ultimate cut? If so, how does it compare to the directors cut? I really like the directors cut and enjoy the film more and more every time I see it.

I'll probably watch MoS again, still my #1 cbm.

Simo

I actually watched Man Of Steel the other night and all the bonus features on the blu-ray. Surprisingly despite seeing it multiple times in theaters and catching bits and pieces when it airs on TV, that was the first time in 3 years I sat down to watch the thing from beginning to end. lol Really want to watch it again and probably will next weekend I think.

Been a while since I've watched Watchmen too come to think of it...lol I'll likely watch the Nolan Bat trilogy too for good measure while bingeing on some TAS and a re-watch of The Dark Knight Returns.

Caode

I'll be watching Man of Steel on the 24th. As for other Snyder films, I'm really tempted to re-visit Dawn of the Dead, tend to watch it every year around October time anyway during that month of horror viewing but I might give it another re-watch tonight. It's kinda forgotten about by a lot of people as part of his filmography.

Guess makes sense with JL filming soon, but seems Wonder Woman has wrapped

CdcAB1gXEAAtDLw.jpg:large

This man's capitalization decisions are innovative.

But its so interesting that we havent heard a peep out of Wonder Woman, especially casting.

If I had it my way, then the WWI platoon Wondie mainly interacts with would be just a bunch of Golden Age heroes without their hero personas - so like Alan Scott, Ted Grant, Ray, etc. It would be fun since those guys arent getting the superhero movie treatment most likely.

Draconian

I've only seen the theatrical and ultimate cut. The ultimate cut is worth watching. It doesn't quite succeed with what it was trying to do and feels bloated, but I appreciate the effort that Snyder put into it, and the fact that it even exists is pretty crazy to me. Watch it, but you may not like it more than the director's cut.

shingi70

Banned

Going to rewatch Man of Steel before going out to see the movie before heading out to see BvS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom