• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
'This is My World'

giphy.gif

It is effing amazing as is 'Beautiful Lie'.

Youtube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYeED96DhE

Also this part in This is My World had me.. damn Zimmer is too good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJ7EVq8VVI

Hope Superman feels more happy in this movie

giphy.gif

I fully expect the movie to have some epic conclusion vs Doomsday, Superman flies him into space/the sun, comes back and is praised a hero then celebrates like the RC Superman....

Those ost samples sound niiiiice. Need full tracks tho.

"Must There Be a Superman" sounds like a Doomsday arrival or Batman's nightmare. Jesus, that ost is haunting. Zack is going to scare the living shit out of children lol.

Beautiful Lie is so good. God damn it's like the batman begins stuff when Gregson Williams collaborated with Zimmer.

This is my world ain't really working for me though. You can't flip around such an amazing bombastic villain track and rework it for the good guy. It works better in man of Steel imo.

Magwik

Banned
"Must There Be a Superman" sounds like a Doomsday arrival or Batman's nightmare. Jesus, that ost is haunting. Zack is going to scare the living shit out of children lol.

Just gave it a listen myself.
Hopefully that poster from the other page doesn't end up bringing his 5yo lol

Must There Be A Superman is really creepy. Liking the score a lot. Am I the only one hearing some of Junkie XL's Brothers in Arms track from Mad Max 1:37 onwards?

strafer

Beautiful Lie is so good. God damn it's like the batman begins stuff when Gregson Williams collaborated with Zimmer.

This is my world ain't really working for me though. You can't flip around such an amazing bombastic villain track and rework it for the good guy. It works better in man of Steel imo.

James Newton Howard was the dude that collaborated with Zimmer on begins.

witness

Got my DC box and man I'm digging the armored Batman, can't wait to put it in my office on Monday. Less than two weeks and I'm over here freaking out like a child waiting for Christmas.

lol to be fair here's another quote from a terrio script

but yeah much higher hopes with goyer gone and this guy who seems to have a better head on his shoulders. can't wait to see if he stuck the landing.

and yeah my bad, james newton howard, not gregson-williams haha.

tbh Argo Fuck Yourself really worked in the context of the movie. It's a couple of guys standing around talking about how ridiculous this whole thing is and how utterly unclever they could be.

IconGrist

I thought the measuring dicks line was fine. It was a very Lois thing to say. It was her reason for being there in the first place that didn't make much sense.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
This is not Affleck. All I see is Bruce Wayne. In retrospect I feel like such an idiot for even having a slight doubt on Affleck playing Batman.

CdYY_SQUAAArZXu.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
The full Batman theme arrangement in Men are Still Good is really good (that line I'm guessing is Batman making his case to Wonder Woman at the end of the film). Hits on those dark and gothic notes that Zimmer never did with Baleman and has allusions to Elfman and Walker's themes. It's also super evocative, like you could have no idea the track had anything to do with this movie, or who composed it, but you would still visualize Batman when listening.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Batman trying to act tough.

Nn4bA5g.gif

Supes is like "Your breath stinks"

Reeaaaaally don't like this Supes, in the book it rubbed me the wrong way too. He came off as a bully and looked like he enjoyed every minute of it. At least Snyder's Supes is like annoyed and tries to talk Batman out of a fight "Stay down if I wanted you'd be dead already" like 'dude just stop'.

Reeaaaaally don't like this Supes, in the book it rubbed me the wrong way too. He came off as a bully and looked like he enjoyed every minute of it. At least Snyder's Supes is like annoyed and tries to talk Batman out of a fight "Stay down if I wanted you'd be dead already" like 'dude just stop'.

It's a fine line. Lex Luthor Man of Steel confrontation is another one-sided Superman fight, but he's not toying with him. Batman is shut down quick.

I've only seen one 'negative' review and it was "It's like a DC movie".

that wasn't a review. that was some guy on twitter passing on second hand info from some other guy who saw the movie (supposedly) and said it's a DC movie, whatever the hell that means.

A sociopath ?

A 33 year old alien who has no concept of.....humanity ?

Oh oh. An unfeeling dick.

Seriously.....33 years on the planet. he decides eh you know I'm gonna do something with this alien shit.

Zod comes, ON TOP OF THAT.....He not only basically says fuck his home planet, he says I'm gonna make sure they stay dead.

I get it's a "different" Superman. But that's bad writing.

The line "Krypton had it's chance" made my heart sink.
Because seriously......."Krypton had it's chance" ? Superman might be a dick....might be arrogant......But he would NEVER be THAT much of grossly.....egregiously uncaring fuck.

Like good god man.

you do remember Zod had just told him that he was going to slaughter everyone on Earth to make way for a new Krypton? what was he supposed to do? try to negotiate? I swear some people won't be satisfied until Superman is a naive, bumbling schmuck "nice" guy.

you can still be a nice guy, to people who are nice to you. anyone trying to kill you or your friends and family don't deserve the same treatment.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
My girl has seen it all, to her Batman and Supes are two babies throwing a tantrum. She ain't impressed.

talking about WW

Rodger Dodger

Neo Member
that wasn't a review. that was some guy on twitter passing on second hand info from some other guy who saw the movie (supposedly) and said it's a DC movie, whatever the hell that means.

you do remember Zod had just told him that he was going to slaughter everyone on Earth to make way for a new Krypton? what was he supposed to do? try to negotiate? I swear some people won't be satisfied until Superman is a naive, bumbling schmuck "nice" guy.

you can still be a nice guy, to people who are nice to you. anyone trying to kill you or your friends and family don't deserve the same treatment.

That's the point Super WOULD do that. Because he's isn't trying to look to for the "human" way. Mostly because he isn't human. He's the ideal of humanity. The paragon of what we hope to be, not what we want (because to want to be in who give the impression that we can, hope is something that's always there we just don't do it)

Case and point your statement.

You don't understand......That movie......is basically is saying that the hero Superman is as we know him. Couldn't exist in our world today.

Paranoia, the fear, human emotion. He wouldn't be able to rise above it much like we wouldn't be able it.

That the thing you guys are defending.....You guy are defending a world where superman........isn't superman. That idea of what he represents, that the cynicism in our world would overcome EVEN HIM.

Which is the point of Superman. He's a do-gooder boy scout asshole with a sense of humor. The LEAST cynical being in existence.

You have to PUSH him to that point the movie already had him at by default.

The being who wants to do the right thing. The being who is the only ONE who can do what we can't imagine, can't understand.

That movie. Not the entire DCU, I mean we could always get him.....eventually.....hopefully sooner rather than later would be great tho.

The soundtrack suggests that heroes are real...and in the end they will triumph and power through whatever that stand in there way.

Seriously.....I feel like Hans is the only one who got the meme that's it's a Superman movie. Lol.

But the movie.......it suggests that.......that he can't exist.

Magwik

Banned
That's the point Super WOULD do that. Because he's isn't trying to look to for the "human" way. Mostly because he isn't human. He's the ideal of humanity. The paragon of what we hope to be, not what we want (because to want to be in who give the impression that we can, hope is something that's always there we just don't do it)

You don't understand......That movie......is basically is saying that the hero Superman is as we know him. Couldn't exist in our world today.

Paranoia, the fear, human emotion. He wouldn't be able to rise above it much like we wouldn't be able it.

That the thing you guys are defending.....You guy are defending a world where superman........isn't superman. That idea of what he represents, that the cynicism in our world would overcome EVEN HIM.

Which is the point of Superman. He's a do-gooder boy scout asshole with a sense of humor. The LEAST cynical being in existence.

The being who wants to do the right thing. The being who is the only ONE who can do what we can't imagine, can't understand.

That movie. Not the entire DCU, I mean we could always get him.....eventually.....hopefully sooner rather than later would be great tho.

The soundtrack suggests that heroes are real...and in the end they will triumph and power through whatever that stand in there way.

Seriously.....I feel like Hans is the only one who got the meme that's it's a Superman movie. Lol.

Nowhere in Man of Steel does it suggest that good ole boyscout Superman can't exist. Man of Steel tackled completely different issues of different complexities. Man of Steel is a more grounded approach to how Superman would be in our world. It breaks him down into more than a two-dimensional goody two shoes, and attempts to make him more relate-able. Man of Steel is a Clark Kent movie, and ends with him as Superman. Batman v Superman will explore him and his ideals further and deeper. It's called character arcs. Superman: Returns was so incredibly boring because of the exact portrayal of Superman you are suggesting.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

He was pushed to that point by Zod who threatened and nearly succeeded in causing human extinction. And what do you suggest he do with Zod? Lock him up in a federal prison? What alternative would you suggest? People go crazy when discussing MoS. I swear.

Gleethor

He was pushed to that point by Zod who threatened and nearly succeeded in causing human extinction. And what do you suggest he do with Zod? Lock him up in a federal prison? What alternative would you suggest? People go crazy when discussing MoS. I swear.

If a Superman arc is unable to end with the bad guy permanently shut away in an extra-dimensional prison, I'm afraid its just poor storytelling
/s

Rodger Dodger

Neo Member
Nowhere in Man of Steel does it suggest that good ole boyscout Superman can't exist. Man of Steel tackled completely different issues of different complexities. Man of Steel is a more grounded approach to how Superman would be in our world. It breaks him down into more than a two-dimensional goody two shoes, and attempts to make him more relate-able. Man of Steel is a Clark Kent movie, and ends with him as Superman. Batman v Superman will explore him and his ideals further and deeper. It's called character arcs. Superman: Returns was so incredibly boring because of the exact portrayal of Superman you are suggesting.

Maybe not for the DCU.....but that movie.....Ehhhhhh........Kind of does.
Kal doesn't kill Zod because he had no choice....he just didn't know what else to do.

Look here's what I don't get. The cartoons made an engaging Superman who was....the Superman I described....you know....what he actually is *shrugs*.....

So why are people acting like the Superman that was presented was the only way....the best way to make him ?

If they had presented Supes AS HE IS......That would have been riveting as fuck. Zod trying to (I mean actively making an effort) to kill people and Superman just fighting him every step of the way trying to convince and coerce him this isn't the way.....given it's just him and Zod as the last two of their planet.

But Zod's not having it. He's bloodthirsty now.

Watching Superman just go through the options spinning in his head.....as he just got closer and closer to the inevitable.

That would of culminated in the one decision he never wanted THE ONE DECISION this whole fight was about him trying to avoid and THEN resulted in this.

4539866-necksnappinggoodness.gif

and then this.

Ow0kL_f-maxage-0.gif

Had the movie made more of an effort to play up the approach of the movie you just described there would have been no problem.

But instead we got a DBZ fight with no consequences (no blood, no bruising, people mostly likely dying no one caring).

And then the movie telling me hey......this is the part where you're sad now.

This movie had the potential to be goat. Ironically for the same reasons people hated it. It was almost like they had no faith in their ability to tell the story it seemed they wanted to ?

It's weird ? Because nobody really HATES.......the movie.....They just don't like the way it was presented. Like the movie is saying the Superman you like is stupid and the Superman in the movie is better ?

Like I said it's weird.

Rodger Dodger

Neo Member

See this is what I love about the movie....and those who defend ut.....not that I'm against the movie.

It did good things.....It did bad things. You know how this shit goes.

But the.....Hmmm.......the......projection ? on part of it's fans.....is hindering to say the least.

Where is this "pushed to the that point" Zod said this....Zod said alot of things. Okay ?

Villains talk shit. That's what they do. Show me Movie. Show me.

Zod never made Superman STOP HIM from anything. I remember Zod saying he'll kill every last one of them and THEN they started fighting EACH OTHER.....THE ENTIRE TIME. Lol.

At no point does Zod make an effort to Kill anybody. What does follow is the low-keyest (not a real word, lol) unintentionally funny ass fight by Superman. Who you could make a case lead to more death and destruction in that fight than motherfucking Zod.

Where was the effort on Zod's part ?

Nobody is saying killing Zod was wrong.

The way he did it. A broken neck.....I mean if you want to get into the particulars.....How the fuck does that work ? But whatever.

What bothers me IS it's unearned. OUTTA NOWHERE.....ZOD....ZOOMS IN ON THIS RANDOM ASS FAMILY.......and says fuck this fight.

Imma zap the fuck outta that family !!! *lasers eyes*

In the context of the fight.....WHAT ?! Lol.

The movie is right there in front of you. What is with this bullshit conjecture ??

The movie did a shit job of presenting a guy with nothing to lose and a guy with no options. Period. Why are we acting like this is such a bad thing to admit ?

Why do we have to be hipster about shit and FIND a way to go in the wrong direction.

Why can't we just admit that ending made no sense and it was stupid as shit. OR.......at least.......admit.....they could've done a WAY better job.

AT LEAST.....AT least. I think WE CAN ALL AGREE ON THAT or is this movie and the decisiveness of DC'S ENTIRE FUCKING FANBASE when it comes to this movie not making that clear. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom