• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the point Super WOULD do that. Because he's isn't trying to look to for the "human" way. Mostly because he isn't human. He's the ideal of humanity. The paragon of what we hope to be, not what we want (because to want to be in who give the impression that we can, hope is something that's always there we just don't do it)

Case and point your statement.

You don't understand......That movie......is basically is saying that the hero Superman is as we know him. Couldn't exist in our world today.

Paranoia, the fear, human emotion. He wouldn't be able to rise above it much like we wouldn't be able it.

That the thing you guys are defending.....You guy are defending a world where superman........isn't superman. That idea of what he represents, that the cynicism in our world would overcome EVEN HIM.

Which is the point of Superman. He's a do-gooder boy scout asshole with a sense of humor. The LEAST cynical being in existence.

You have to PUSH him to that point the movie already had him at by default.

The being who wants to do the right thing. The being who is the only ONE who can do what we can't imagine, can't understand.

That movie. Not the entire DCU, I mean we could always get him.....eventually.....hopefully sooner rather than later would be great tho.

The soundtrack suggests that heroes are real...and in the end they will triumph and power through whatever that stand in there way.

Seriously.....I feel like Hans is the only one who got the meme that's it's a Superman movie. Lol.

But the movie.......it suggests that.......that he can't exist.

1. I know. Also......What ? he didn't have the entire fight to realize what it was doing to the civilians ? Lol....I mean.....guys ? Really ?

2. Noooooooo......They made a movie about Superman and didn't have him be Superman and/or act like Superman......Seriously what the fuck is this ? I get he's "new" at this 33 years....What was he doing this whole time ? But lets sidestep that. Why can't a Superman as he IS....be presented as he IS in OUR world today ?Wouldn't the appeal of that be amazing ? Could a guy like that survive in having his will tested mentally, physically in our jaded world would his principles change ? In a post 9/11 world you don't think we need a guy like that ?

3. Son, He's 33 years old ? WHAT ? WHAT IS THIS ?? Yeah, I'm more of a proponent for the Cartoons. Paul Dini......I mean.....that guy.....killed it.

I don't fuck with the Reeves movies like that. Not a big reader if the comics,,,,,I don't hink Superman Returns is THAT bad. Lol. Honestly, if you think about it.

The Matrix movies 1 and 2 serve as a better implementation of a Superman Story than Man of Steel ever did.

I accept what he is......I just question it. I like to think, lol. I don't know.

Batmurder with his M60 ready to body the criminals of Gotham. lol
CdbUHO3UUAAbUPS.jpg:orig

.................ellipses....................ellipses everywhere!
edit: that's a shotgun Batman is holding FYI.

Pachimari

I have booked tickets for March 28, but is strongly contemplating a booking for March 23. I don't know if I can wait five more days, but at least I'll have Daredevil in the mean time. I should also finish my rewatch of Man of Steel.

Dead

well not really...yet
that means Wonder Woman will be in post for about 16 months before release. Seems longer than usual? (well aside from BvS)

WW needs some good villains. Really just Circe, Hades, Ares & Cheetah are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. First Born was basically WW's doomsday.

If Jenkins has a good idea for a new villain, I'd hope they let her run with it.

Almost every promotion/footage that has come from this movie has been based on the fight between these two one rainy night. With Man of Steel, we had sneak previews of a variety of different scenes set at different locations involving different characters. This is true for many films when showcasing trailers.

What gives, Warner Bros? Are you this insecure about the film that you need to continuously remind us Superman and Batman fight in order to sell the movie? The name, the posters, the trailers are make it seem like the entire movie will be these two fighting for a night. But that apparently is just one encounter in an early Act of the story.

The written previews, however, give an impression of a story built around dialogue and character development. To me, the best clips have been of Clark and Bruce actually talking - not fighting in their costumes. Am I wrong?

Give us some scenes on Clark doing some investigative journalism on Bruce Wayne, or Batman stalking Clark Kent from roof tops. Remember that mystery photograph in Superman Returns that hinted at that?

Whenever I see the same promotional material, I get a little worried about that this film will fee like the last Act of Man of Steel.

IconGrist

Almost every promotion/footage that has come from this movie has been based on the fight between these two one rainy night. With Man of Steel, we had sneak previews of a variety of different scenes set at different locations involving different characters. This is true for many films when showcasing trailers.

The written previews, however, give an impression of a story built around dialogue and character development. To me, the best clips have been of Clark and Bruce actually talking - not fighting in their costumes. Am I wrong?

I wonder if this is a sign in regards to the amount of screen time WB/Synder have dedicated to CGI slug-fests as opposed to actual story.

No, this is WB listening to people who consider anything that isn't Batman fighting Superman footage as some sort of false advertising.

Effect

Eh It makes sense for Wonder Woman and even Superman to kill given the threat. Batman and Flash are the only main roster members where I draw the line with murder.

The CW Flash clearly didn't get the memo then. He's racked up quite the body count this season. It's been weird. I keep hoping they fully address this before the season is over.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure If I hate this potryal of Wonder Woman or not.

Nah, as far as I'm concerned all JL members kill. The no killing rule is dumb af and makes no sense (well except for being able to return the villains). Love brutal WW, just get shit done.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Not sure If I hate this potryal of Wonder Woman or not.

She's a warrior, if she has to kill she'll do it, but I don't know if they'll follow that aspect of her in the DCEU. Remember that WW villains are mostly gods or really powerful almost unkillable enemies.

What gives, Warner Bros? Are you this insecure about the film that you need to continuously remind us Superman and Batman fight in order to sell the movie? The name, the posters, the trailers are make it seem like the entire movie will be these two fighting for a night. But that apparently is just one encounter in an early Act of the story.

Give us some scenes on Clark doing some investigative journalism on Bruce Wayne, or Batman stalking Clark Kent from roof tops. Remember that mystery photograph in Superman Returns that hinted at that?

Whenever I see the same promotional material, I get a little worried about that this film will fee like the last Act of Man of Steel.
When WB deviated just a bit from the titular conflict and showed Doomsday the mouth breathing nerds jumped on them, so they switched back and focused entirely on Batman/Superman conflict.

Penguin

I think it's the opposite actually.
It allows them to hide most of the movie (contrary to those, I feel like I've seen most of the movie people) but still have something exciting to show.

It's more confidence that this is good enough without showing you everything ahead of time.

Earth 2 Metahumans aren't real people

Yeah, it's weird how easily they kill Earth-2 metas, but lock up the Earth-1 metas

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Do those people dislike that these specific characters kill or just the heroes in general?

From a marketing standpoint, how could you not go all in with Batman v Superman the fight? Like a boxing match.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, feel the same as Penguin. I don't really know what happens between the fight and this is a good thing imo.

Well, we know what happens after the fight. Remember that guy on Twitter saying there is a moment between the two that would make the most cynical tear up?

bf5d5c8f82ab52b10e4e7d2698f0345e.jpg

jackdoe

I think it's the opposite actually.
It allows them to hide most of the movie (contrary to those, I feel like I've seen most of the movie people) but still have something exciting to show.

It's more confidence that this is good enough without showing you everything ahead of time.
Marvel's doing the same thing with Civil War. In the two trailers, we've effectively got only three scenes. Conference room, airport, and bunker with of a couple of split second shots of other scenes.

Do those people dislike that these specific characters kill or just the heroes in general?

From a marketing standpoint, how could you not go all in with Batman v Superman the fight? Like a boxing match.

Every live-action Batman in a movie besides George Clooney killed someone. Adam West kicked a guy out of existence, Michael Keaton killed dozens of goons and caused the death of The Joker, Val Kilmer killed Two-Face by throwing a bunch of coins at him while he was standing on a narrow beam, and Christian Bale caused the deaths of Ra's, Two-Face, and Talia.

Superman II appeared to have Superman kill Zod, though a deleted scene seemed to show them being taken away to prison in the background while Superman, Lois, and Lex talked outside of the Fortress of Solitude. But in both final versions the actual movie, it certainly seems like Zod and his crew did not survive...while Superman and Lois smiled about it. And then of course Henry Cavill's Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel (which he was not happy about).

Not DC, but the Avengers have killed a ton of people in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

ReiGun

9d2b5ebd62d30a04ee16af9442733cf4.jpg

I hope she is badass, please don't fuck her up.

This panel is full of shit. Diana will fuck up some mindless mooks like Parademons, but like all heroes, she generally avoids killing her Rogues.

A key tenet of her character in her N52 book is that she tries to avoid killing. She either talks every antagonist down, tricks them, or locks them away.

Penguin

My personal belief, secret identities and the "no-kill" tropes, are the two hardest things from comic to translate intelligently.

We're just accustom to movies having bows tied on them... which usually means the villain put away or killed.

We don't wanna go through the process of them being led away so we kill em.

The most glaring example to me is the Spider-man franchise

1st movie - Villain has to commit suicide. I know it's comic accurate, but I've always been curious even if the glider impaled Spidey, it would still go through Goblin!

2nd movie - Villain decides to commit suicide to save the world.

3rd movie - One villain commits suicide via jumping into a bomb for some reason. The other is "set free" by the hero which I think was utterly dumb.

TASM - Villain depowered and jailed

TASM 2 - They kill the villain through power overload. Harry is jailed or whatever.

Begins - We get the weird logic "I don't have to kill you, but don't need to save you either."

Forever - Toss coins, woops he fell to his death. Not my fault!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
This panel is full of shit. Diana will fuck up some mindless mooks like Parademons, but like all heroes, she generally avoids killing her Rogues.

A key tenet of her character in her N52 book is that she tries to avoid killing. She either talks every antagonist down, tricks them, or locks them away.

Which I kinda find boring, love how the MCU is basically not giving a shit. Cap probably killed more people with his bare hands than Supes/Zod did while fighting. This line from Bruce kinda sums it up in TDKR: ''all the people I've murdered, by letting you live'',,,,yeah at the end of the day it's basically what the writers want. Like a competent police force or government that is able to lock the villains up for good. Or just killing the villain. Give me the latter.

Begins - We get the weird logic "I don't have to kill you, but don't need to save you either."

I basically put you in this situation that will most likely mean your end, but I didn't kill you!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, so there is this new theme in the soundtrack. Used in a couple of tracks (like at the end of Black and Blue), a piano tune (accompanied by a choir iirc). Anyone know what I'm talking about? Fucking love it. Also used in one of the very first tracks.

antovolk

Alright, so there is this new theme in the soundtrack. Used in a couple of tracks (like at the end of Black and Blue), a piano tune (accompanied by a choir iirc). Anyone know what I'm talking about? Fucking love it. Also used in one of the very first tracks.

Yeah - it sounds like Bruce Wayne's theme.....

Probably my fave new theme on the OST.

Not according to that latest trailer, lol

I saw that the 274 is a reference to an Avengers cover with Zemo, or maybe a Captain issue but it's like...come the fuck on. In Serkovia at least 100s should have died, same with Avengers. When Cap said you can't save everyone I was expecting a body count equivalent to a small war over the course of the movies. It's a cute reference but it kinda falls flat.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah - it sounds like Bruce Wayne's theme.....

Probably my fave new theme on the OST.

It's also in Beautiful Lie. You think it's the Bruce Wayne theme? Could be. Sounds fucking amazing, whatever it is.Really digging all of them, the more I listen to it.

Not DC, but the Avengers have killed a ton of people in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Not a fan of the film but The Incredible Hulk gives a plausible explanation why Hulk didn't kill Abomination. Made it about Banner retaining his humanity, exercising control over the Hulk. Not that Hulk hasn't killed at other points in the MCU. All the Avengers do, even Ant-Man. Don't take issue with it myself.

Batman is the only character where I don't see it as logical reason; more of a compulsion. From time to time they frame it as a slippery slope, not becoming a villain himself. Don't know about that. Always peculiar how there's no grey between Punisher killing everybody and never ever killing.

tbh the less of the doomsday fight I see the better. I imagine it's mostly self contained, so showing more of that fight would be practically spoiling the climax.

I imagine most casual fans are interested in the BvS aspect, but WB is intelligent enough to understand that they need to sell people on heroes not named Batman & Superman, so they put in a trinity (? or more) fight. I'm actually looking more forward to the trinity fight then I am BvS. That doesn't mean the fight won't be cool or satisfactory.

Honestly I'd hate it if DC wasted a movie on just Batman v Superman, there's so many cool villains they can use. I'm tired of hero v hero, I want good villains. Zod was refreshing. I don't expect Doomsday to be some compelling villain, but all accounts point to Lex being a central figure in the film.

DC's issue has always been marketing. So many cool characters that never get a chance because they don't get the proper lead in. Every time I recommend a DC comic to someone I try to veer towards non batman stuff because most people have it ingrained in their mind already that Batman is DC and vice versa.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
CddHYjmWAAAOp-O.jpg

tbh the less of the doomsday fight I see the better. I imagine it's mostly self contained, so showing more of that fight would be practically spoiling the climax.

I imagine most casual fans are interested in the BvS aspect, but WB is intelligent enough to understand that they need to sell people on heroes not named Batman & Superman, so they put in a trinity (? or more) fight. I'm actually looking more forward to the trinity fight then I am BvS. That doesn't mean the fight won't be cool or satisfactory.

Honestly I'd hate it if DC wasted a movie on just Batman v Superman, there's so many cool villains they can use. I'm tired of hero v hero, I want good villains. Zod was refreshing. I don't expect Doomsday to be some compelling villain, but all accounts point to Lex being a central figure in the film.

DC's issue has always been marketing. So many cool characters that never get a chance because they don't get the proper lead in. Every time I recommend a DC comic to someone I try to veer towards non batman stuff because most people have it ingrained in their mind already that Batman is DC and vice versa.

Well DC has not helped matters at all .Everytime DC confronts a failure when pushing a non Batman character it pushes the Batman panic button. To be fair BVS will most likely not have happened if MOS had received critical acclaim. We would have had a solo Batman film and a sequel to MOS by now.

Loxley

CddHYjmWAAAOp-O.jpg

Well DC has not helped matters at all .Everytime DC confronts a failure when pushing a non Batman character it pushes the Batman panic button. To be fair BVS will most likely not have happened if MOS had received critical acclaim. We would have had a solo Batman film and a sequel to MOS by now.

It's got to be a trip to work at Midtown, I feel like half of the actors who ever get cast in superhero roles make a pit stop there.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
CddHYjmWAAAOp-O.jpg

I'm not sure I buy that, if they wanted to do a shared universe involving all these DC properties they had to introduce Batman sooner or later, and WB owns DC so there's no need to talk to others studios and convince them to lend their characters like Marvel had to do with Spidey. If Marvel and Sony could've worked something out before TASM1 they would've introduce him a lot sooner than CW.

Batman is just too big to sit out a couple of to these movies in a shared universe. What they did with the whole established history and him operating in Gotham for awhile before MoS even took place (talking about in this universe) was perfect, it immeadiately liberates the character from an origin story and there's a blank space before MoS that you can fill up with a movie (for instance a movie about what really happened to Robin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom