• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Junkie XL da gawd.

Honestly they could have just reused the entire Mad max score for BvS and I would have been happy

Junkie XL da gawd.

Honestly they could have just reused the entire Mad max score for BvS and I would have been happy

nah, brothers in arms is a track for a batman and robin scene. dat teamwork.

would totally be psyched if he dropped a mad max track on one of the batmobile chases haha.

edit: early screening in Pakistan? that's cool, never really hear of stuff like that going on there.

Dead

well not really...yet
Short interview with Cavill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QXKco6jDdo&feature=youtu.be

The entire setup for Clark's story in BvS is so meta to the reception of Man of Steel IRL. Costner's Pa Kent not only was right about the people in the movie universe, but in the real world as well :lol

I admire the balls of Snyder and crew, and WB for allowing it, to double down on their version of Superman and the events in MoS, rather than cave in.

really weird timing how civil war and this seem to be addressing the same issue. to the point where their billionaire character is being the reactive one in the fight.

imagine if they came out on the same date/month like it was expected a year ago.

Dead

well not really...yet
really weird timing how civil war and this seem to be addressing the same issue. to the point where their billionaire character is being the reactive one in the fight.

imagine if they came out on the same date/month like it was expected a year ago.
Seems more ass pulled in their case. I eye rolled at that scene from the trailer where they showed those nonsense death tolls despite doing their best to shy away from showing any kind of true collateral damage in the films themselves. Its nowhere near as organic as what we seem to be getting with MoS > BvS in terms of narrative. Maybe the final movies will prove me wrong but thats the impression im getting for now.

yeah it doesn't feel as well-realized at all. the registration thing is on the money but the reason for it is an asspull, because man when you see those death tolls. 200 people in age of ultron...with a floating city and shit lmao.

and like 30 people in washington with a bunch of flying air carriers exploding on the ground.

going by how horrible the US military's drone strike collateral damage is in comparison the avengers look like a very clean success. i think they should have been more blunt about how bad shit was getting in the previous movies rather than just quickly show that there was an effect in this one. but you can't change that, so at least they're retroactively doing it.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

The civil war one is just poorly done. Like after all these movies they introduce the 'government dissatisfaction' and 'people are scared bullshit' suddenly. It just does not feel well earned.

antovolk

When asked about additional music in the R rated version, Zimmer says the Extended Cut is considerably longer, holy fucks

Wonder if this is another case like Watchmen where the Extended Cut is 30+ minutes longer

Snyder said during the China press conference it's 30 mins longer so yeah....

BadAss2961

Seems more ass pulled in their case. I eye rolled at that scene from the trailer where they showed those nonsense death tolls despite doing their best to shy away from showing any kind of true collateral damage in the films themselves. Its nowhere near as organic as what we seem to be getting with MoS > BvS in terms of narrative. Maybe the final movies will prove me wrong but thats the impression im getting for now.
Like half their movies end in total chaos and they've never stopped to address collateral damage. Not only that, but they often quip and gag through those battles to break tension. To suddenly go serious is, I guess, quite the ass pull.

Anything serious from Marvel is going to be half assed. I'm glad they're dealing with similar themes only because it'll be interesting to see how people spin BvS outclassing the MCU in handling subject matter.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (SPOILER FREE REACTION/REVIEW)

The film has had a SUPER SPECIAL and SECRET screening here in Pakistan, with only a few select people invited. Here is a spoiler-free review by two of them. Check it out. The wait was already killing me, and then this happened.
My anticipation for a film has never been higher. Now with all these spoilers and pictures floating around....damn!! It's really starting to appear we are getting a quality movie guys. Dare I say the 3 year wait was worth it?

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh man these leaked ending credits...

https://youtu.be/ShCge_BKeCk

nxIhBfA.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Like half their movies end in total chaos and they've never stopped to address collateral damage. Not only that, but they often quip and gag through those battles to break tension. To suddenly go serious is, I guess, quite the ass pull.

Anything serious from Marvel is going to be half assed. I'm glad they're dealing with similar themes only because it'll be interesting to see how people spin BvS outclassing the MCU in handling subject matter.
The Russos are grounding the MCU in realism so the stakes are higher, there was absolutely zero tension in Avengers and AoU, I see that changing in CW and Infinity Wars.

guek

Banned
I don't see what's organic at all in MoS > BvS when the former didn't address the destruction in the movie whatsoever. We've yet to see if either BvS or Civil War deliver these themes well. The MCU has addressed collateral damage before this, though this isn't the thread to go over it.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Second video from the pakistan screening but this time focused on the performances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_FHzXgnpo8

To summarize

1 Gal Gadot is the best followed by

2 Batman who they say is the best batman to ever grace a movie screen. Affleck>>>>>> Bale according to them.

3. Alfred is amazing

4 Henry Cavill is great and a marked improvement over MOS

5. Jesse Eisenberg - they are divided. Both thought he was good but one felt he was not the Luthor he knows and loves

6 Lois Lane - Gets the job done but whatever.. ( Basically just like the comics imo )

a916

Age of Ultron had a dark promotional material like trailers and such... but not the actual movie. The movie came down to who could quip more... don't think Civil War is that dark nor do I think it'll be as jokey as Age of Ultron.

From the people who watched special footage at D23 I think, that fight scene in the airport, their are one liners flying about more specifically
Hawkeye and Black Widow exchanging dinner plans, eye roll...
Marvel please.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't see what's organic at all in MoS > BvS when the former didn't address the destruction in the movie whatsoever.
The filmmakers pretty specifically chose to highlight just how destructive these events in MoS were. They did not choose to adhere to the school of "if you don't see it, it doesn't happen" The World Engine does horrific damage, bodies are seen bandied up and around the sky, death all around, resulting in a literal ground zero. The fight between Superman and Zod is of such magnitude that the collateral damage is impossible to ignore, especially when we see panning shots of frightened civilians literally under the two as they are flying. The tone is dark, and even ends as such. The movie wasn't beholden to address the fallout itself at the end as clearly it's a plot thread that deserves more than a perfunctory scene at the end of the film, (but I will admit the film would have benefit in terms of pacing had the finale of the fight not immediately switched to the scene with the General, but to Superman and Lois walking out of the train station into the city, again no dialog regarding the destruction is necessary yet, but it gives the movie more breathing room in that moment.) In the end, Man of Steel was about Clark coming out to the world, Dawn of Justice will be about how the world now reacts to that and what he can do (and has done) and can follow up on this plot thread introduced in Man of Steel.

It remains organic and makes sense that BvS chooses to explore this angle of collateral damage and human death toll vs the greater good in light of what took place in Man of Steel because they specifically chose to show rather than hide the true toll of Gods fighting against Mortals right from the start. It's tonally and narratively consistent.

If Snyder and DC were to follow up MoS by completely ignoring the events at the end of the movie, it would be a movie so tone deaf they would deserve to have their entire slate of future films crash and burn, but they are not only addressing it, but are doubling down on it. Regardless of what happens behind closed doors in the writers room, or whatever, as I said, the tone and message of their universe so far seems consistent.

guek

Banned
The movie wasn't beholden to address the fallout itself at the end as clearly it's a plot thread that deserves more than a perfunctory scene at the end of the film

lol ok. BvS may be Snyder and Terrio making the best out of the criticism MoS received and they may even pull it off as a well conceived and believable answer but that doesn't suddenly make the faults of MoS part of a grand scheme. As you've always done when discussing MoS, you started from a desired conclusion and worked backwards to justify your own interpretation. MoS talk is boring though and never goes anywhere so let's just say we disagree on what qualifies as organic.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol I didn't say there was a grand scheme. In fact I specifically said, regardless of what the truth in the writers room is, the plot development is credible as it's consistent with the tone, imagery and world building set forth in Man of Steel. Feel free to disagree with that, that's fine :)

It feels better done on a marketing perspective. That's all. I recall avengers 2 going out of their way to make things look as safe as possible amidst all the chaos for the civilians. It got a bit ridiculous.

Whereas in man of Steel it's straight up 9/11 ad nauseum. With this I get why batman is scared of superman

In civil war trailer it's like "yeah it makes sense but y'all weren't selling it so well with your prior movies"

But then that's not the directors' faults. They have to pretty much work with what whedon gave them. So it feels retroactive whereas this definitely seems more natural.

Dead

well not really...yet
It feels better done on a marketing perspective. That's all. I recall avengers 2 going out of their way to make things look as safe as possible amidst all the chaos for the civilians. It got a bit ridiculous.

Whereas in man of Steel it's straight up 9/11 ad nauseum. With this I get why batman is scared of superman

In civil war trailer it's like "yeah it makes sense but y'all weren't selling it so well with your prior movies"

But then that's not the directors' faults. They have to pretty much work with what whedon gave them. So it feels retroactive whereas this definitely seems more natural.
Pretty much. Let's retroactively address this thing that was never made an issue, VS a situation where people were actually asking how they will address this exact topic in the next movie because it was made an actual issue

Plus that shot of Bruce on the ground seeing the heat vision. That's actually pretty freaky. First time since x2's Whitehouse attack where it really sells superpowers in the real world imo and how fucked things could get for the normal ppl

generic_username

I am not confident in the MCU to actually follow up on the tone of their trailers anymore. Everytime they advertise high stakes, dramatic music, serious consequences blah blah in their trailers and what we get are cookie cutter villains, bad jokes between fighting those cookie cutter villains which further undermine the stakes and the tone and seriousness the trailers had going for them so I am not convinced yet.

Atleast from BVS so far the trailers look to convey the seriousness of the situation and actually seems to address the moral questions that face both the super heroes and common folk. I just hope we dont get the 'she with you' kind of bad marvel jokes too much in this movie at least.

generic_username

"No jokes".

It is not about no jokes. It is about inappropriate jokes during a battle when people are supposedly dying around you that severely undermine the tension. I mean otherwise why advertise as if there is a major catastrophe waiting to happen with dramatic music playing in the background if one cannot follow up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom