• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan299

Supposedly this guy, a buzzfeed employee, just saw the film, he has since deleted the tweet. Some guys over at reddit got the screen cap.

CduTwKnW8AE_EAj.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lol who's that?

Man I should tweet a bunch of emoticons and see if it gains traction.

Squad vs Batman would be cool.

They could do villains vs villains as well. Forever Evil would be a fun adaptation.
Would amy adams or gal gadot be Superwoman? Wonder how you would go about casting that movie. Would be awesome to see people's fancasts be used for the CSA.

Squad vs Batman would be cool.

They could do villains vs villains as well. Forever Evil would be a fun adaptation.

Would amy adams or gal gadot be Superwoman? Wonder how you would go about casting that movie. Would be awesome to see people's fancasts be used for the CSA.

If that happened, they probably go with Adams since Superwoman is E3 Lois. Or do they pick someone different entirely?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I want you to know that I agree with you.

Not only us. I think Bale himself knew deep down that his portrayal of Batman was sub par.

“I didn’t quite manage what I hoped I would throughout the trilogy,” Bale told Yahoo. “Chris did, but my own sense of self is like, ‘I didn’t quite nail it.'”

Bale went on to explain his interpretation of Batman, and how he wanted to bring him to life on screen. But then Heath Ledger came along and took a bit of his confidence away.

“Heath turned up, and just kind of completely ruined all my plans,” Bale said. “Because I went, ‘He’s so much more interesting than me and what I’m doing.

Not only us. I think Bale himself knew deep down that his portrayal of Batman was sub par.

Bale didn't have a bad Batman by any means. Just as he said though, Ledger completely stole the whole trilogy. He took the character he was playing and made something legendary out of it. It's the perfect performance for the world Nolan crafted and literally became a role that beyond the screen in many ways.

Verendus

Banned
That's not what he's saying. Your issue seems to stem from wanting some kind of comic Batman. That has nothing to do with what Bale's misgivings seem to be, and it's a silly criticism in my eyes regardless. Bale's issue stems from the fact that Heath Ledger stole the show in terms of performances. Bale is an actor, and clearly someone who takes his craft seriously, so he's disappointed he didn't achieve that level of portrayal with his character.

It doesn't change that his Batman is great however, especially in context of the trilogy, and will remain fondly remembered amongst the general audience. And as much as Batfleck steals the show in the upcoming movie, Batman v Superman isn't going to change that either.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I enjoyed Bale as Batman but I had issues with how his character was written. I want Bruce to be the smartest guy in the room and Nolan's Batman was far from that. It just felt like Bruce used his resources and connections to be the best Batman he could be instead of being the driving force behind it.

BadAss2961

I never noticed the red veins around his eyes. Did he have that in MoS? Looks possessed.
Yeah, it happens. This heat vision stings and blinds momentarily.

Supes is looking more powerful now though.

A guy on the SHH forum posted some sweet non-spoilery scans. The Trinity is perfect.

"Krypton had its chance"... fucking lol. Goyer pls. Really hope BvS doesn't have crap like that. Terriooooo.

People defended this entire plotline - that Superman would come to rationalise destroying the codex because Kryptonians made wrong choices. Isn't that what humans do each day when he saves them? One of the most ridiculous things I've seen in film.

duckroll

The idea that Superman would hold the legacy of his entire race in his hands and willingly destroy it because bad people want it, is the most ridiculous interpretation of Superman ever. He should want to preserve it against all odds, and know that the wrong intent of a few cannot condemn an entire species. He is Superman.

That's not what he's saying. Your issue seems to stem from wanting some kind of comic Batman. That has nothing to do with what Bale's misgivings seem to be, and it's a silly criticism in my eyes regardless. Bale's issue stems from the fact that Heath Ledger stole the show in terms of performances. Bale is an actor, and clearly someone who takes his craft seriously, so he's disappointed he didn't achieve that level of portrayal with his character.

It doesn't change that his Batman is great however, especially in context of the trilogy, and will remain fondly remembered amongst the general audience. And as much as Batfleck steals the show in the upcoming movie, Batman v Superman isn't going to change that either.

Yep. I don't mind their interpretation of batman. The voice got horrible but the first two movies were fantastic and tbh I have a hard time seeing affleck or snyder topping that scene with ra's and Bruce in begins as he's training him. The music and Neesons lines were so damn good

It's good that they're going for a more comic route because Nolan/Bale kind of dug deep into their own more grounded take and it would be pointless to tread the same water.

The best thing about this movie is how much established history he has. They should go the more subtle route and just throw it all at the people paying attention instead of a bunch of dialogue. And a flashback of the more vital history such as perhaps joker/Robin

No prequel movies tho plz. Hell no.

Verendus

Banned
Yep. I don't mind their interpretation of batman. The voice got horrible but the first two movies were fantastic and tbh I have a hard time seeing affleck or snyder topping that scene with ra's and Bruce in begins as he's training him. The music and Neesons lines were so damn good

It's good that they're going for a more comic route because Nolan/Bale kind of dug deep into their own more grounded take and it would be pointless to tread the same water.

The best thing about this movie is how much established history he has. They should go the more subtle route and just throw it all at the people paying attention instead of a bunch of dialogue. And a flashback of the more vital history such as perhaps joker/Robin

No prequel movies tho plz. Hell no.
I definitely don't want any prequels. The movie does a good enough job of establishing his personality, and giving us context. While it's not all gravy with him at the end, it's exactly where you want to be from a storytelling point of view. I'd rather not tread old ground. I understand he's bitter, and that he lacks hope and the ability to believe in the best of people. Let's tackle those issues in the now, and how he's going to cope with all these new developments.

You can provide more context to the dead Robin in a new story with Joker. I don't really need to see it all happen. Nor do I want to honestly. We have an older and more experienced Batman so they should tell some newer stories with him. Don't make our only present encounters with him in the form of these big team up movies. It robs him of getting some development in the present. I agree about him having established history. It works really well, especially because we saw Nolan Batman pushed to his limits so you can easily imagine things not going well for this one. He just didn't get his happy ending.

Batman's been around for decades. I'm sure there must be stories they can draw ideas from that work with this older Batman.

DaveH

The idea that Superman would hold the legacy of his entire race in his hands and willingly destroy it because bad people want it, is the most ridiculous interpretation of Superman ever. He should want to preserve it against all odds, and know that the wrong intent of a few cannot condemn an entire species. He is Superman.
"The idea that Superman would hold the fate of his entire adopted race in his hands and willingly refuse to defend it because some bad people want to destroy it, is the most ridiculous interpretation of Superman ever. He should want to preserve it against all odds, and know that the wrong intent of a few cannot condemn an entire species. He is Superman."

Any "no true Superman" argument isn't particularly persuasive but I think the film has the better and more consistent argument. He's not destroying Krypton, that's Zod's conclusion of what damaging the ship will do. Krypton lives on both in Kal-El and in that ship as BvS proves.

He's defending humanity, planet Earth, and stopping Zod. Zod isn't asking for co-existence, he's asking Kal to let him shoot down Lois and doom humanity, there's no other endgame for Zod and his usage of the Genesis Chamber. By downing the ship, Superman saves humanity, saves Lois, and is still free to recover or restore the functions of the ship at a later date, just not in a way where humanity is extinguished or on Zod's terms.

Moreover, in-character, Superman sacrifices his ship and his command key (Jor-El AI within) for the sake of the plan, so it's not like this was a sudden departure from that... or from tradition, Superman has used his ship as a weapon for humanity in the comics, The Animated Series, and Earth One.

Protests about this are like arguing Bruce Wayne should have talked Joe Chill out of shooting his parents. Zod's finger was literally on the trigger and ALREADY fired, missing only because Supes collided with the ship. Expecting complex, nuanced negotiations with the guy who answered "On whose authority?" with a gunshot to the chest is not truthful storytelling.

no, at that point he wasn't "superman" he was a man with a lot of power. it's really simple, let the genocidal maniacs have what they want or not. the choice is clear.

duckroll

Any "no true Superman" argument isn't particularly persuasive but I think the film has the better and more consistent argument. He's not destroying Krypton, that's Zod's conclusion of what damaging the ship will do. Krypton lives on both in Kal-El and in that ship as BvS proves.

He's defending humanity, planet Earth, and stopping Zod. Zod isn't asking for co-existence, he's asking Kal to let him shoot down Lois and doom humanity, there's no other endgame for Zod and his usage of the Genesis Chamber. By downing the ship, Superman saves humanity, saves Lois, and is still free to recover or restore the functions of the ship at a later date, just not in a way where humanity is extinguished or on Zod's terms.

Moreover, in-character, Superman sacrifices his ship and his command key (Jor-El AI within) for the sake of the plan, so it's not like this was a sudden departure from that... or from tradition, Superman has used his ship as a weapon for humanity in the comics, The Animated Series, and Earth One.

Protests about this are like arguing Bruce Wayne should have talked Joe Chill out of shooting his parents. Zod's finger was literally on the trigger and ALREADY fired, missing only because Supes collided with the ship. Expecting complex, nuanced negotiations with the guy who answered "On whose authority?" with a gunshot to the chest is not truthful storytelling.

This is a very compelling counter point. I must admit that I don't remember the movie well enough to argue over the specifics highlighted here, so if this is an accurate reading of the events in context, I will concede that it makes sense. I'm not particularly interested in revisiting Man of Steel, but this almost makes me want to.

I stand my ground on the actual line though. Saying "Krypton had its chance" is just... too much. Lol.

Yager

Banned
Guys, you just don't get it. Superman should have invited Zod for a cup of tea and try to negotiate with him. It's not like he was terraforming the fucking planet, destroying Metropolis or killing thousands of citizens. He should have found a way. Maybe offering a bag full of candy?

#NotMySuperman

I feel like we are in danger of calling Goyer a misunderstood screen writing a misunderstood genius. Its interesting to try to have a situation where Superman was forced to kill but that might be giving Goyer too much credit

DaveH

I stand my ground on the actual line though. Saying "Krypton had its chance" is just... too much. Lol.
I think if he had said, "Your Krypton had its chance" a lot of grief would have been saved.

Then more people would get that a co-existent Krypton was still intended and possible even if the ship was damaged.

This is a very compelling counter point. I must admit that I don't remember the movie well enough to argue over the specifics highlighted here, so if this is an accurate reading of the events in context, I will concede that it makes sense. I'm not particularly interested in revisiting Man of Steel, but this almost makes me want to.

Man of Steel didnt have the best dialogue. It's most like the result of Goyer being a better story writer than a character scene writer. He's better at writing the larger picture down than a conversation between characters.

Exactly a week from now, during this exact hour I will be in the cinema having watched a majority of the film. I estimate about 30 mins left of it.

I think I've just encountered someone posting screen cap of the film + spoilerish texts on facebook comment section. Not sure if it was real cuz I clicked away real fast, so I haven't seen anything yet. This is like Star Wars all over again.

Effect

No OT yet? It opens in a week here.

Goes up on the 22nd I believe. If I'm remembering correctly the general idea was to limit the shitting up of the thread that would take place by limiting how long it's up before the film comes out. There is a pattern that happens with all BvS related threads in the OT. Closer to the film it goes up the more likely talk will be related to the film itself with people having seen it a day or two later.

Magwik

Banned
Goes up on the 22nd I believe. If I'm remembering correctly the general idea was to limit the shitting up of the thread that would take place by limiting how long it's up before the film comes out. There is a pattern that happens with all BvS related threads in the OT. Closer to the film it goes up the more likely talk will be related to the film itself with people having seen it a day or two later.
The more general idea was to open the thread up right after the fan screening so those of us going can give impressions and discuss the film with others

He did preserve it, he is the codex afterall.

He did preserve it, he is the codex afterall.

I wonder if they had it in him just so if they get bored in years to come they can bring back Krypton or have some Leo Quintum style science and extract the codex and make artificial people or Kandor or...lots of crazy stuff. It's a decent hook for things in a few films.

kurahador

I wonder the Supergirl/Kara from the MoS comic will come into play in the future. Such a weird direction to take for her character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom