• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

No idea what to make of this, if anything at all. I don't know how these junkets work, BvS has a lot of press around it so it doesn't seem odd to me that the junket would be packed.

I'm guessing WB hand picks who they invite? It doesn't surprise me that blog sites are second string picks.

I could also see that WB is wary of inviting smaller sites because they have the most to gain by posting inflammatory reviews.

Umberto reported that there's smaller websites there... so not sure what the strategy is here. I can understand if it's crazy packed and there's a mega ton of people there, and not enough room for everyone... but why would they not try to get the most amount of exposure?

Glad i09 isn't there from all the garbage they've posted about the movie to be honest. Got really tired of reading garbage like "THIS TRAILER IS WHY DC UNIVERSE WILL FAIL". Real objective... really hope Polygon.com isn't there either.

ReiGun

Same as Io9, Nerdist, /Film, latino review. Seems like WB didn't invite a lot of big sites

Which, given that the big enthusiast sites have spent the last three years taking pot shots at the movie and WB/DC at almost every opportunity, I get.

Not saying I agree or think it's a good idea. But I get it.

duckroll

If you really think about it though, other than sucking up for more positive free advertising, why would any big studio invite fanboy blog sites anyway? Whether they get to see the film early or not, they're still going to keep writing about it every time there is a new clip or a magazine article or a leak or whatever. If you don't think that they'll be positive about the film in the first place, no reason to give them special treatment. I don't think of most of them as journalists, and I doubt studios do either.

WhiteWolf

Same as Io9, Nerdist, /Film, latino review. Seems like WB didn't invite a lot of big sites
Maybe they want to suppress spoilers going out? Don't a lot of those sites generate hits based off of rumors and scoops? I know the pics of the ending leaked, but I imagine the decision on who will attend this junket was made before a few days ago.

a916

If you really think about it though, other than sucking up for more positive free advertising, why would any big studio invite fanboy blog sites anyway? Whether they get to see the film early or not, they're still going to keep writing about it every time there is a new clip or a magazine article or a leak or whatever. If you don't think that they'll be positive about the film in the first place, no reason to give them special treatment. I don't think of most of them as journalists, and I doubt studios do either.

Umberto mentioned there's press there that push a fraction of the traffic that a website like /Film does.

Which is just.. weird. Not positive or negative. At least Drew is taking the right approach. He said he's not taking this personally and he'll judge the movie on it's own merits. Good on you.

Magwik

Banned
Umberto mentioned there's press there that push a fraction of the traffic that a website like /Film does.

Which is just.. weird. Not positive or negative. At least Drew is taking the right approach. He said he's not taking this personally and he'll judge the movie on it's own merits. Good on you.
Could be demographics based then? Traffic means nothing if a lot of it overlaps right?

IconGrist

Well see, they weren't invited to the press junket but they still get to see the movie the next day. At least Faraci does. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the rest.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

I also think Drew would not have got invited either ways. There is no way you spread internet rumors about a studio stating that heads will likely roll, Snyder is out of next film etc.. and then expect an invitation from that studio for that screening. I wonder if WB will ever invite him for anything ever again irrespective of the movie.

They're seeing the movie still, so there no slant at protecting themselves from the anal nit-picky nerds. I'm guessing they are just being more selective for the conference, with more international parties.

Penguin

I usually dislike a studio pushing around their work, but kind of agree with this.

I think some of these blog-sites need to be knocked down a peg or two as they believe they make or break a movie, and not necessarily that it's fans interest in these movies that keep them going.

That said... as you noted, not like they won't review the movie... nor have intensive editorials about the film afterwards.

a916

The guy from Latino Review said he's heard "all positive" from the screenings. So I guess there's that.

I also think Drew would not have got invited either ways. There is no way you spread internet rumors about a studio stating that heads will likely roll, Snyder is out of next film etc.. and then expect an invitation from that studio for that screening. I wonder if WB will ever invite him for anything ever again irrespective of the movie.

Considering the stuff that Faraci has done in the past (Tom Hardy fiasco) and the non stop negativity, I'm not shocked he was ignored. I mean the harassment of stars alone is enough for WB to go... yeah nah, not worth it. I think he's banned from every Fox junket too. He's still watching the movie tomorrow.

ml7PdCm.png

That's really cryptic.

Considering the stuff that Faraci has done in the past (Tom Hardy fiasco) and the non stop negativity, I'm not shocked he was ignored. I mean the harassment of stars alone is enough for WB to go... yeah nah, not worth it. I think he's banned from every Fox junket too. He's still watching the movie tomorrow.

Who was the dude Faraci was telling to kill themselves? Like repeatedly, and then wanting his family to contact him for financial assistance.

duckroll

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. More worthless Twitter exchanges. Hey guys, I heard something too. I heard you weren't invited to the press conference! :p

duckroll

In all seriousness, it's funny how uptight everyone is right now the week before the event, but this time next week, no one will even give a shit about any of this. Lol.

Verendus

Banned
I read the novelisation of Knightfall and loved it as a kid. I own it somewhere by I ain't read it as an adult.
Just checked it on Amazon. It has decent reviews. No eBook edition though. I bought it anyway. It's weird though; hardcover is only $24 but the paperback is over $60. I'd have expected the opposite.

That means that wikipedia doesn't even have all the books. Knightfall sounds interesting though. It shows Bane breaking Batman on google so I'm assuming this is what The Dark Knight Rises was based on.

I just need to find a decent Superman novel, and I'm good. I got something extra for reading in the sky.

Rooster12

Bane didn't just break Batman's back....he humiliated him by throwing his lifeless body out onto the streets.

Wonder why they didn't put that scene in the movie.

Bleepey

Just checked it on Amazon. It has decent reviews. No eBook edition though. I bought it anyway. It's weird though; hardcover is only $24 but the paperback is over $60. I'd have expected the opposite.

That means that wikipedia doesn't even have all the books. Knightfall sounds interesting though. It shows Bane breaking Batman on google so I'm assuming this is what The Dark Knight Rises was based on.

I just need to find a decent Superman novel, and I'm good. I got something extra for reading in the sky.

Surprised it cost so much. In the uk it's quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0553096737/

Tell me what you think. I might reread it, it's been almost two decades.

duckroll

Actually if you want to read the book The Dark Knight Rises was based on, I'll recommend this instead. :)

I haven't read any of those novels but I've listened to the graphic audio of 52 and coie, which is apparently based off the book.

52 was really good (it was pretty much 1:1 with source material) but it's not really about Superman or Batman.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Doesn't make any sense to exclude them though.

to me it does, these enthusiast sites are a double edge sword, either they are overly positive or negative. They probably want the fans reaction from that fan screening to be the first legitimate reactions to the film.

We'll see if it works, but I'm not surprised bloggers were left out. All those 3 years writing nothing but clickbait bit them in the ass.

Verendus

Banned
Surprised it cost so much. In the uk it's quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0553096737/

Tell me what you think. I might reread it, it's been almost two decades.
Will do.

I also bought this. It seems like a good one since it incorporates Spike-Hulk. Now I will also bear the knowledge of this monster's background. Me and you comic fans will soon be on equal footing. Kind of. Hardcover was more expensive on this, but I bought it for the sake of consistency.

The UK version is more expensive on that link. More than twice the cost. I bought new copies after all. I don't like buying used.

Actually if you want to read the book The Dark Knight Rises was based on, I'll recommend this instead. :)
I've already read this several times. I'd recommend it to anyone. One of Dicken's finest.

You think you can troll me?!

Effect

to me it does, these enthusiast sites are a double edge sword, either they are overly positive or negative. They probably want the fans reaction from that fan screening to be the first legitimate reactions to the film.

We'll see if it works, but I'm not surprised bloggers were left out. All those 3 years writing nothing but clickbait bit them in the ass.

Looking at the cinema score for MOS it makes sense they'd want fan reaction to lead the way. There was a big disconnect between critics and the actual audience reaction for MoS. The audience and enthusiast sites are likely the ones going to judge the film on it's own merits.When it came to MoS you had a number of reviews critical of it not being the Reeves Superman when it's clear the film was never setting out to be that. Then you had people bringing in their Snyder bias because they didn't like his previous work. I think that's what they're trying to avoid or at the very least do not want critic reviews to be the only impressions of the film before it officially releases. If there is a mix between actual audiences impressions and critic impressions that very likely stops the film from being hurt if the critic impressions are negatively slated. If they aren't negatively slated then it doesn't matter.

What is WB supposed to be "holding close their chests"? It's a press junket. You're still seeing the movie.

Gotta get that last round of clicks before the hate/conspiracy well surrounding this movie potentially dries up. If most people love it, spewing nonsense gets a little harder.

Wait, didn't Devin already see the movie or what that just impressions from someone who saw it? Him talking about the third act and final shot being "interesting."

Loxley

Surprised to see some of the armored Batsuit is actually a practical costume and not a green or gray suit!

Yeah, Snyder said a while back they wen the Iron Man route of having some of the costume be practical and the rest digital.

Verendus

Banned
It's a good book! I'm not trolling! :(
I meant the whole TDKR was based on it.

I remember reading somewhere (may have even been on GAF) that Nolan cited it as inspiration for the movie in some way, but I think the comparisons are mostly superficial. I can definitely see some of the base concepts there, but the execution is differing enough that it robs TDKR of a similar impact. The themes of resurrection and legacy are about the only two things they're really consistent with in both works, but in this case I feel TDKR mishandled the theme of legacy because Blake's entire character sucks.

But yeah, it's a good book. I'll accept your sincere intentions this one time.

duckroll

I meant the whole TDKR was based on it.

I remember reading somewhere (may have even been on GAF) that Nolan cited it as inspiration for the movie in some way, but I think the comparisons are mostly superficial. I can definitely see some of the base concepts there, but the execution is differing enough that it robs TDKR of a similar impact. The themes of resurrection and legacy are about the only two things they're really consistent with in both works, but in this case I feel TDKR mishandled the theme of legacy because Blake's entire character sucks.

But yeah, it's a good book.

Well, there's no question that Nolan was inspired heavily by it and that it dictated several of the main plot beats. I agree though, the movie does not do the book justice and Nolan's inspiration is superficial, heavy handed, and poorly executed. You can see a lot of the similarities in the have and have-nots tone, the way Bane plays to the crowds, and the entire subplot with Gordon's "confession" letter. But Nolan couldn't help himself, and just in case no one got it, he had to literally quote from the book itself at the end of the film. That was really groan worthy. Lol.

Yeah, Snyder said a while back they wen the Iron Man route of having some of the costume be practical and the rest digital.
Hope the suit looks good on the natural parts, although I figure the lighting of the night will make it work. Iron Man 2's suit when not digital looked painfully plastic, particularly at the restaurant scene.

Penguin

The whole thing is fascinating to watch unfold.

Like all of the big bloggers seem to caught off-guard by it

That they are trying to find an angle/story that makes sense.

It's been like 2-3 hours

And just dipping in and out of it.

But so curious.

Loxley

That Lobo thread is great - folks are angry and whining about the mere idea of the existence of a potential movie that's years away.

#TheDCComicsEffect

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm loving watching this drama unfold, elmayimbe is retweeting everything from his pals, crying and trying to come up with explanations and posting traffic data.

Verendus

Banned
Gotta get that last round of clicks before the hate/conspiracy well surrounding this movie potentially dries up. If most people love it, spewing nonsense gets a little harder.

Wait, didn't Devin already see the movie or what that just impressions from someone who saw it? Him talking about the third act and final shot being "interesting."
That doesn't make sense though. I can see why the final scene would be interesting because it's a nice way to bring things together. But the final shot? Like, the last shot we see? I don't understand why that'd be "interesting". When is that ever "interesting"? The movie doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

We don't see Batman open his eyes and suddenly go, "Oh my god. It was all a dream. There was no alien who murdered thousands of people." Then turn to his side and realize that his parents are still alive, and they're watching a nice opera.

Edit:

That Lobo thread is great - folks are angry and whining about the mere idea of the existence of a potential movie that's years away.

#TheDCComicsEffect
Warner Bros. need to give up on that movie. They've been trying to make it happen for a decade. Just give up already. Instead of that, why not give me a new disaster movie that is actually good? San Andreas was incredibly disappointing. They need to make up for that.

They can even put The Rock in the new movie. I won't mind. Maybe throw in some aliens.

Or The Rock can just be in Transformers 5. And I'll accept that as Paramount doing what Warner Bros. couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom