• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTripper

Translated Twitter impressions (very light on spoilers)

Van Ugalde Tweet 1: That of which ive been complaining about that theyre doing in the comics to my Batman has also happened to BVS and i hate it...

I'd be interested to know what the Van Ulgade person thinks they're doing to Batman in the comics in particular...

Yeah, it is a strange comment, maybe it's a poor translation but idk. If he's talking about
Scott Snyder's Batman in particular, all I see is a positive cause the Batman comic in the last 4 years has been my favorite thing to read out of everything out there since the New 52 started.

Boke1879

Based on what I've been reading this movie is definitely going to split people. It's not so much the quality of the movie I'm hearing is the problem but rather certain character depictions/decisions. So if you're one of those "not mah Batman/Superman" folks you may take issue with certain things.

But one thing I have seen pretty much across the board is that the ending will hit you in the feels.

Bring on the movie.

Nah probably not rotten.

The % isn't measured by the average rating, it's just how many critics atleast gave it a 3/5 stars or a positive rating. None of those twitter impressions said they outright hate it, the least they gave it was ok or good.

The average rating might not be anything to brag about, but I think the % will be fresh.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
What makes you say that? If you're going by the impressions, they weren't bad.

Everything I've read so far, it really does look like a lot of critics will have issues with certain things; the movie is really dark (this will really bug them since Superman is in it), Batman
possibly kills
, takes itself pretty seriously and there is more meat to the plot than your average CBM. I can easily see that turning off some critics.

This is a strange comment, maybe it's a poor translation but idk. If he's talking about
Scott Snyder's Batman in particular, all I see is a positive cause the Batman comic in the last 4 years has been my favorite thing to read out of everything out there since the New 52 started.

Yeah, I can't think of anything that radical that's really happened to Batman in the last few years that's strayed away from his character...I mean even the Darkseid War story arc in JL with Batman
becoming Bat God
is only for the duration of the arc, not some new status quo. And they talk about DC not knowing about their core trinity but..Azzarello's Wonder Woman was quite compassionate and defending people etc (i haven't re-read it so can't really remember), Batman has been written by Snyder to acclaim for over 6 years almost and Greg Pak had Superman standing up for the little guy against Police Brutality and the like in the Truth arc.

They do mention "my Superman/Batman" which....is both valid and almost insufferable because everyone has their own version, run or interpretation.

Too dark? I don't know.

Maybe. But unless someone thought Batman started with Adam West there are plenty of dark elements to his stories, even if you discount Frank Miller.

Everything I've read so far, it really does look like a lot of critics will have issues with certain things; the movie is really dark (this will really bug them since Superman is in it), Batman
possibly kills
, takes itself pretty seriously and there is more meat to the plot than your average CBM. I can easily see that turning off some critics.

Less people will give a shit about Batman that kills or not than Superman, I guarantee it. They already gave Burton's films a pass and his version is practically a sadist.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Negative Nancy. Bump it up 15 points because we be hitting 80+

80+? No way that happens, I'll gladly eat crow but nope. That ain't happening.

Less people will give a shit about Batman that kills or not than Superman, I guarantee it. They already gave Burton's films a pass and his version is practically a sadist.

Revee Supes killed too (and his wasn't even necessary iirc) and they loved that shit. This is Snyder, he won't get a pass.

JTripper

Based on what I've been reading this movie is definitely going to split people. It's not so much the quality of the movie I'm hearing is the problem but rather certain character depictions/decisions. So if you're one of those "not mah Batman/Superman" folks you may take issue with certain things.

But one thing I have seen pretty much across the board is that the ending will hit you in the feels.

I was sort of a "Not my Superman" person with Man of Steel but I'm not that worried about Batman's depiction. I don't think it's a bad Superman but it's not my favorite depiction.

I'm more curious than worried though. I'm wondering that if it is a more brutal Batman, could it be because he's a post-Jason Todd Batman whose angrier and generally a downer?

My prediction continues to be that it will be better than MoS, but still not particularly good, and that the RT score will reflect that.

I don't expect it to win over many MoS detractors, or conversely, to disappoint many MoS fans.

But we'll see soon enough.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I was sort of a "Not my Superman" person with Man of Steel but I'm not that worried about Batman's depiction. I'm more curious than worried. I'm also wondering that if it is a more brutal Batman, could it be because he's a post-Jason Todd Batman whose angrier and generally a downer?

Of course he is, we got this for a reason:

batswing.gif

ZZ0908BD38.jpg

#sadBatman

Where do you think the RT critics rating will fall in?

The Dark Knight: 8.6/10
Spider-Man 2: 8.3/10
The Dark Knight Rises: 8/10
The Avengers: 8/10
Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.8/10
Batman Begins: 7.7/10
Iron Man: 7.7/10
Days of Future Past: 7.6/10
Winter Soldier: 7.5/10
Deadpool: 6.9/10
Ant-Man: 6.8
Age of Ultron: 6.7/10
Watchmen: 6.3/10
Man of Steel: 6.2/10
Thor 2: 6.2/10

the avengers being that high, blegh

I think 7-7.5.

guek

Banned
Your prediction is objectively wrong. It's a good movie, no denying now.
You may want to wait until we get some actual reviews.

Also, reviews either matter or they don't. It's convenient how this movie's early impressions cement its legacy for you when you've been known to incessantly bash well reviewed marvel movies.

Tabby

I'll go with 7.1.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My prediction continues to be that it will be better than MoS, but still not particularly good, and that the RT score will reflect that.

I don't expect it to win over many MoS detractors, or conversely, to disappoint many MoS fans.

Is that you just sticking to a prediction or actually coming to this conclusion after reading impressions? All indications are that it is a good movie. Maybe not great like many have been reporting but definitely good.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

The Avengers is not even remotely watchable to me these days. TWS score is too low IMO, Watchmen should be higher too.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
6.7, maybe their hard on for Batfleck will bump it to 7 but that's it.

I'd say 7.5 isn't outside of the realm of possibility. People keep reducing the movie (and the movie's scores) down to the director, but there's more going on here.

Avengers should be just above Age of Ultron in my opinion, and I wish Ant-Man was higher. How the hell is Winter Soldier lower than DOFP? Ant-Man and Deadpool were good fun, why such low scores?

Ahasverus

You may want to wait until we get some actual reviews.

Also, reviews either matter or they don't. It's convenient how this movie's early impressions cement its legacy for you when you've been known to incessantly bash well reviewed marvel movies.
Because they're empty af. innoffensive as they come (sans the Cap movies). This one is not. It's very risky. I don't care about reviews really, it's the heart this movie is pouring, when even doubters have come out convinced, you know something's up. I don't hate the MCU because it's Marvel, I love Marvel’s characters, I hate that the movies treat them as archetypes and don't do them justice. Can't hate on any of the cap movies for that reason, they delve into Steve's pshyche, and are coherent about it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Avengers should be just above Age of Ultron in my opinion, and I wish Ant-Man was higher. How the hell is Winter Soldier lower than DOFP? Ant-Man and Deadpool were good fun, why such low scores?

It's almost as if scores are dumb and subjective as fuck and no one should spend much [if any] time putting any sort of value on them.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
You guys are losing your minds over every little thing about this movie. There's less than week now, just watch it and come to your own conclusion.

Boke1879

You guys are losing your minds over every little thing about this movie. There's less than week now, just watch it and come to your own conclusion.

Exactly. We've gotten positive impressions. So far the movie is good at it's worst. Go see the movie. You're more than likely going to enjoy it anyway unless you go in with preconceived notions or you go in looking for one thing that doesn't fit your narrative of what this movie should be thus ruining your entire enjoyment.

I'm seeing it this Friday. I can't wait.

Rooster12

I thought this had the Batman that everyone was waiting to see??

And now they're saying it's not "their" Batman?

Effect

I really do feel it's a dice roll. There is a weird Zack Snyder bias at play with some critics. Some will hit his films and things in them while ignoring those same things in other films. Or hit them for not being what they wanted vs what was presented. That was in some of the Man of Steel reviews were it got hit extra at times simply because it wasn't the Reeves film even though that was never being offered at any point. Or had things that the past films had but got a negative response even thought the past films had the same thing but MoS did a better job of it. Killing Zod being the biggest thing. Where it goes completely ignored when talking about Superman 2. It's an big double standard that's annoying and some people don't care that they're using it.

I think if things end up being fair and the film is at least good we could be seeing scores in the 7s or 8s at the top. There will be some issues with it even if it's good. No film is perfect. If it's good and there is a weird bias we could be getting an average in the 6s like Man of Steel or lower if some hate that this is even darker.

I think 7.5-8.

I don't exactly follow Snyder's filmography much but I get the feeling from some people that he could make a legitimately great film and it'd still be knocked down because Snyder. I just want to talk outta the Imax and have a smile on my face or be able to talk about it with my friends on the train home.

Rooster12

So you need RT to tell you if a movie is good or not....

Rooster12

I say 7.8....same as the Guardians.

Yager

Banned
Yesterday I watched the Dark Knight trilogy again, with my mother. Had a blast, being Rises the one I still enjoy the most despite all it's flaws. I just love Bane.

And I just finished watching Man of Steel for the 10000th time, also with my mother. I'm aware of it's problems, but I love this movie so much. I still get chills with scenes like flight and terraforming. And the fights oh lawd.

Only 3 more days for me. HNGGGG

strafer

Yesterday I watched the Dark Knight trilogy again, with my mother. Had a blast, being Rises the one I still enjoy the most despite all it's flaws. I just love Bane.

And I just finished watching Man of Steel for the 10000th time, also with my mother. I'm aware of it's problems, but I love this movie so much. I still get chills with scenes like flight and terraforming. And the fights oh lawd.

Only 3 more days for me. HNGGGG

Did your mother like the movies? :D

Anth0ny

Expecting it to fall between Age of Ultron and Ant-Man, but I'm hoping it falls around Batman Begins >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom