• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that you just sticking to a prediction or actually coming to this conclusion after reading impressions? All indications are that it is a good movie. Maybe not great like many have been reporting but definitely good.

Well, unlike some people in this thread, I actually put more stock in what professional film critics have to say than in Twitter impressions. Let's see what things look like when the embargo lifts.

So you need RT to tell you if a movie is good or not....

Of course not, just that I treat professional film critics as a more reliable gauge of quality than I do the sorts of impressions that appear before a review embargo lifts.

a916

Why? besides preconceived notions of the characters (specially batman) being in conflict with some parts, there's nothing wrong with the plot, seriously, it's tight af.

Because there's "professional critics" that argued Man of Steel was a bad movie... not because it was a bad movie, but because "not mah superman" Which has nothing to do with MOS since it's a re-telling/re-imagining. Judge the movie as it stands, and not on the merit of how well it aligns with Reeve's Superman. You can bet it'll happen again.

Guardians is too high in that list, but it's still a fun movie.

Entertaining, but god what a terrible villain that made for such a shallow and inconsequential villain with no stakes. Them dancing at the end was a "We're Marvel and we know we have bad villains but you're gonna take this and like it". HATED the ending. Also, Ronan betraying Thanos does barely builds up Ronan as someone who might be an equal... but then the dance off craps all over that theory while at the same time we see Thanos, but someone undermining him which lessens HIS character. If Ronan is disrespecting him and not taking him seriously, why should I?

It's a complete 180 with how DD treats Fisk. They tremble at his name. They are afraid to even mention it. He has so many "soldiers" with unwavering loyalty. (Granted I'm only on episode 6 of the first season, but really good so far)

IconGrist

I really really liked Guardians up until the last like 20 minutes. Whenever that final "battle" begins. Movie went straight to hell at that point. For me anyway.

Because there's "professional critics" that argued Man of Steel was a bad movie... not because it was a bad movie, but because "not mah superman" Which has nothing to do with MOS since it's a re-telling/re-imagining. Judge the movie as it stands, and not on the merit of how well it aligns with Reeve's Superman. You can bet it'll happen again.

I know that there's no winning an argument when the "not muh Superman" meme is brought up, but... maybe Man of Steel really just wasn't that great a film?

You can disagree all you like, and everyone who thinks MoS was some kind of masterpiece is of course entitled to that opinion, but I honestly don't think there's an alternate reality where MoS is judged completely independently of the existing Superman canon and ends up anywhere near, I dunno, a 90% Rotten score.

mooncakes

http://tinyurl.com/zh7lvvg

The Joker and The Riddler both came close to being in this movie. We talked about the possibility of putting them in. [Screenwriter] Chris Terrio and I talked about it a lot and felt that their mythological presence is felt in the movie and that’s cool, but I didn’t want to get my eye too far off the ball because I needed to spend the time, frankly, with Batman and Superman to understand the conflict.

Thinking a high 6 for BvS, low 7 if exceptionally good.

I know that there's no winning an argument when the "not muh Superman" meme is brought up, but... maybe Man of Steel really just wasn't that great a film?

You can disagree all you like, and everyone who thinks MoS was some kind of masterpiece is of course entitled to that opinion, but I honestly don't think there's an alternate reality where MoS is judged completely independently of the existing Superman canon and ends up anywhere near, I dunno, a 90% Rotten score.

Few argue MoS is a great film. I certainly wouldn't. It's a matter of the overwhelming discussion about the film, not being about the film.

Anth0ny

eh...

you could say the same thing about the Raimi Spider-Man films and they're at the top of the list

pretty sure Man of Steel was just a bad movie ;)

a916

No no, most of the reviews I think judged that movie on the merit of that movie, even though I don't agree with their views. Then there were others that legit went, not accurate portrayal of (my) Superman, -5 points. I don't think there was a huge controversy either, some people just happened to review it on that basis and it's a bit disheartening because that has nothing to do with the movie itself.

The problem is that there's 2 largely distinct camps of criticism regarding MoS: criticizing the film for what it is, and criticizing the film for what it's not. The "not muh superman" meme is a shot at the latter for being frankly moronic. You want to talk plot holes, or clunky dialogue, or weird pacing, fine, but "Superman isn't X" isn't a discussion worth having, and it seems to be a refrain that's going to continue into BvS.

a916

The problem is that there's 2 largely distinct camps of criticism regarding MoS: criticizing the film for what it is, and criticizing the film for what it's not. The "not muh superman" meme is a shot at the latter for being frankly moronic. You want to talk plot holes, or clunky dialogue, or weird pacing, fine, but "Superman isn't X" isn't a discussion worth having, and it seems to be a refrain that's going to continue into BvS.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

guek

Banned
Because they're empty af. innoffensive as they come (sans the Cap movies). This one is not. It's very risky. I don't care about reviews really, it's the heart this movie is pouring, when even doubters have come out convinced, you know something's up. I don't hate the MCU because it's Marvel, I love Marvel’s characters, I hate that the movies treat them as archetypes and don't do them justice. Can't hate on any of the cap movies for that reason, they delve into Steve's pshyche, and are coherent about it.
If you don't care about reviews, don't tell people they're objectively wrong. All opinions are inherently subjective but you can't argue for objectiveness while simultaneously rejecting the general consensus.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, we aren't going to argue about Man of Steel AGAIN, are we? BvS is out in just a few days. Keep it in your pants.

The last days man, cherish it. You'll miss it.

Once the movie hits, we are going to need a new cycle.

Ahasverus

If you don't care about reviews, don't tell people they're objectively wrong. All opinions are inherently subjective but you can't argue for objectiveness while simultaneously rejecting the general consensus.
One can say one like a movie that it's not good, or that you can dislike one that is, but a good movie is a good movie. I argue that MoS IS a good movie, but I don't argue that the Marvel movies are not good, they are, in what they are trying to do, which is what I don't like.
BvS has a good story, good actors, good photography at this point we only don't know at how good the direction is, but so far there's no way to say it's not going to be "good". You may not like it, but that's another story.

vegeta101

Banned
easter weekend starts this Friday and I have booked a few days of work off just so I can watch me some dc goodness until the main event. 3 years of waiting and I absolutely cannot wait!!

I felt the writing was its biggest problem. Not how superman was portrayed, but the dialouge itself.
I had no problem with Zack's directing, just felt the story was good, but the script bad.

Small nitpick, deciding to do most of the movie in handheld is something I didnt like.

Although the Music made this movie for me. I'm a sucker for good music

Ahasverus

I felt the writing was its biggest problem. Not how superman was portrayed, but the dialouge itself.
I had no problem with Zack's directing, just felt the story was good, but the script bad.

Small nitpick, deciding to do most of the movie in handheld is something I didnt like.

This is a good opinion, no lies detected.

guek

Banned
One can say one like a movie that it's not good, or that you can dislike one that is, but a good movie is a good movie.

You don't get to determine the objective truth though. What determines what is or isn't a good movie is a question entirely based around context. Good for you? Good for most people? Good artistically? Good commercialy?

The point is, you'd be a hypocrite if you pointed at good reviews and impressions as proof this is an objectively good movie while simultaneously denying that same benefit to movies you happen to dislike.

IconGrist

The last days man, cherish it. You'll miss it.

Once the movie hits, we are going to need a new cycle.

I mean if you guys want to have one last go at Man of Steel before BvS is out then that's on you but personally I'm done talking about it. I liked it despite it's glaring problems and I can almost guarantee that I've seen it more than anyone else on this forum. I could recite the movie backwards. I just can't argue about it anymore. There are legitimate problems with it but most of the shit that's get thrown at it is a result of people not paying attention or creating problems that don't even exist and I'm done being a part of that roundabout.

I've moved on to Batman v Superman and by the end of this coming weekend I will be more than happy to have a back and forth about it. At least it'll be new material.

Ahasverus

The point is, you'd be a hypocrite if you pointed at good reviews and impressions as proof this is an objectively good movie while simultaneously denying that same benefit to movies you happen to dislike.
But I'm not saying that? That people have liked the movie so far isn't as valuable to me as what they are saying about it, and of course, the plot description cemented that fact, the story is REALLY good, Nolan trilogy tier, that's all I needed to know. And as I said, most of the Marvel movies are objectively good too, but I dislike them greatly because they feel empty to me, compared to the source material, which is brillaint.

guek

Banned
But I'm not saying that? That people have liked the movie so far isn't as valuable to me as what they are saying about it, and of course, the plot description cemented that fact, the story is REALLY good, Nolan trilogy tier, that's all I needed to know.
You told someone they're objectively wrong to predict a mixed response based on early impressions. You hound on the MCU despite much if not most of it being widely well received. And now you're trying to change the discussion.

Oh well.

Edit: just saw your edit. I'm glad You can at least differentiate between subjective opinions and objective consensus. You came across as if you couldn't for a bit so I got on your case, and for that I apologise.

IconGrist

You told someone they're objectively wrong to predict a mixed response based on early impressions. You hound on the MCU despite much if not most of it being widely well received. And now you're trying to change the discussion.

Oh well.

Have you decided if you're going to see it OW or are you still waiting on reviews?

Ahasverus

You told someone they're objectively wrong to predict a mixed response based on early impressions.
He wants the film to fail.
You hound on the MCU despite much if not most of it being widely well received.
Yes I do, because I can, and I will keep doing it until they respect their own characters. Why is it so hard to understand that I dislike that I find more interesting and deep stories in the comics featuring those characters than in the movies that should honor those stories? it drives me mad.
And now you're trying to change the discussion.
No I'm not. And I'm done.
Gotta finish DD S2, ha.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I am hoping we get some kind of scene like this at some point. Superman recharging from battle and coming back to kick ass.

giphy.gif

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I mean if you guys want to have one last go at Man of Steel before BvS is out then that's on you but personally I'm done talking about it. I liked it despite it's glaring problems and I can almost guarantee that I've seen it more than anyone else on this forum. I could recite the movie backwards. I just can't argue about it anymore. There are legitimate problems with it but most of the shit that's get thrown at it is a result of people not paying attention or creating problems that don't even exist and I'm done being a part of that roundabout.

I've moved on to Batman v Superman and by the end of this coming weekend I will be more than happy to have a back and forth about it. At least it'll be new material.

"3 years on GAF, how many people liked the movie? How many stayed that way?" Icon is battle damaged, needs something fresh.

Reddit thread of someone who is watching the movie currently. Says he/she will post non spoiler review here

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4b5ocq/im_watching_it_tonight/

The non spoiler review:
Quick non spoiler review:
It feels like an animated movie turned into live action. All the characters seem straight out of their comic book source.
For the most part of the movie, Superman is still struggling with doubts and questions of whether to act or not
, but I feel that it's closer to the comics than in MoS.
Lex will redefine a cbm villain, the trailers don't give anything away and his performance really is a surprise. You feel both nervous and excited whenever he's on screen.
The movie is visually outstanding, however I feel like some people will criticize pacing and changing between plots really quickly. The action surpasses MoS.
The writing of this movie is completely amazing in terms of lore and each character has its own way of saying things, in the sense that the tone changes a lot because everyone speaks and structures their thoughts differently.
Overall, the movie is unlike anything you have ever seen and it's not comparable to TDK trilogy or the MCU. After taking some time to let everything sink in, I would rate the movie 9/10 (14 thumbs up out of 15 thumbs lol), the only thing I disliked was the Lois storyline.

I spoilered the only part which maybe is a minor spoiler.

MartyStu

This is a pretty spot-on analysis.

I always felt that Snyder does not deserve nearly as much hate as he gets for the movie.

Goyer on the other hand...

IconGrist

This Ollie guy has a terrible connection.

Edit: Is it me or does this host lady kind of look like Iris from the Flash show? I know she hosts on DC All Access.

Edit 2: Holy crap was that Gadot in that dress? I almost had a heart attack.

Ross61

I lowkey kinda hope after Justice League 1 Snyder just goes full producer role and let some else do 2. I wouldn't mind if he did MOS 2, but I kinda want someone else for Justice League 2. This thought will probably change if the Snyder/Terrio combo is phenomenal but I kinda doubt it.

Ahasverus

I lowkey kinda hope after Justice League 1 Snyder just goes full producer role and let some else do 2. I wouldn't mind if he did MOS 2, but I kinda want someone else for Justice League 2. This thought will probably change if the Snyder/Terrio combo is phenomenal but I kinda doubt it.
Neither Zack or Terrio are confirmed to come back for JL2, I think Affleck is a likeliest choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom