• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Penguin, bro, you went in blind to the movie didn't you? How did you feel when things were happening during it? Did you feel surprised? Engaged?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't know if any of you have children old enough to be excited for this movie but let me tell you having a 13 year old daughter who loves DC and watching her anticipate this movie is really special and fun to experience. It's like Christmas for her.

IconGrist

I don't know if any of you have children old enough to be excited for this movie but let me tell you having a 13 year old daughter who loves DC and watching her anticipate this movie is really special and fun to experience. It's like Christmas for her.

I'm taking my daughter on Saturday. She's super excited.

Boke1879

That's amazing :)

Vyer

That's cool. My son is almost 7. He can be pretty sensitive to some stuff in movies though. Though he's handled Star Wars and Back to the Future just fine. I'm going to decide after my viewing if it'll be ok.

ReiGun

Don't have kids but I work in an elementary school and my students love superheroes. I hope their parents take them to go see it (though they may be too young!), so I can talk to them about it. Especially my favorite student, who is a big Wonder Woman fan.

I'm taking my daughter on Saturday. She's super excited.

That's really awesome! I've was trying to convince my sister to watch BvS for the longest time but she has been resistant because she doesn't like Ben Affleck as Batman. We had a nice dinner tonight and she agreed to come but only if I'd go to the theater in my Batman onesie and my husband in his Superman onesie. So we're all going Thursday... Can't wait!

a916

Well yeah. After tonight's early fan screenings, hundreds of fans will have reactions to the film. And their voices will far outnumber the amount of critics who will actually review the film. So even if the film gets divisive critical review, which I think it will, the very positive word of mouth will overshadow any negativity.

Just realized this... all these positive impressions are not from critics but fans. This has no bearing on RT score. Not to get all snobby, but critics are going to look at this differently.

This doesn't mean much because she fuckin' loves DC but I'm sure Ahasverus will get a kick out of it.

https://twitter.com/aishatyler/status/711752372066852865

She hosted the DC Panel too lol

Ashhong

Finished Throne of Atlantis today. I really like this DCAU, I hope content comes out fairly regularly. My favorites have been Hal and Shazam. I knew absolutely nothing about Shazam until WAR, and he's pretty cool.

Is Momoa playing Arthur? Cause I am not feeling it. Really like this clean cut version of Aquaman, but I guess Momoa fits the universe better.

I know I asked this before but I lost my post. Which other JL films are like this new DCAU? Also watched Public Enemies which was fun. I think people recommended Apocalypse? Maybe that will be next

Is Momoa playing Arthur? Cause I am not feeling it. Really like this clean cut version of Aquaman, but I guess Momoa fits the universe better.

Yes, Momoa plays Arthur. His appearance is more like 90's Aquaman, not like new 52's Aquman who appears in Throne of Atlantis.

90's Aquaman:
7RI9Ozu.jpg

Momoa as Aquaman

aquaman-jason-momoa-poster.jpg

Ashhong

Yes, Momoa plays Arthur. His appearance is more like 90's Aquaman, not like new 52's Aquman who appears in Throne of Atlantis.

90's Aquaman:
7RI9Ozu.jpg

Momoa as Aquaman

aquaman-jason-momoa-poster.jpg

Ah, I guess that's cool. Plus I saw that he's gone blonder nowadays or something. Was the old Aquaman as charasmatic as new 52 version?

He should just be Orm and someone else be Arthur :D

Weren't people wondering who the 7 are? Some people thinking it's the Seven Seas? Isn't it clearly JL? Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, Shazam/GL?

Weren't people wondering who the 7 are? Some people thinking it's the Seven Seas? Isn't it clearly JL? Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, Shazam/GL?

I think it wasn't never officialy clarified what the "seven" was. Perhaps it's a nod to both the seven seas and the seven of the Justice League.

duckroll

Pretty sure it's the seven seas and just exclusive to Aquaman. If it were the JL they would have posters for each one with the same tagline.

Ashhong

I always thought I never read any comics but I just found a box of comics, and it's all DC. Infinite Crisis series and TDKR. Completely forgot about it. I'm also finding myself enjoying these animated movies whereas I don't really enjoy watching Marvel cartoons, though I love the movies. I guess I'm a DC person and I didn't even know it.

I will say the villains and stories in DC are much cooler from what I have seen. Most of the Marvel that I have seen is all corporations as villains and grounded stuff. DC has got aliens and gods coming out of their ass.

Pretty sure it's the seven seas and just exclusive to Aquaman. If it were the JL they would have posters for each one with the same tagline.

Oh, I thought there were other posters for some reason. Maybe it means unite the seven because of Aquaman, like Throne of Atlantis :D

spectacular spiderman is the best animated comic series to come out in a number of years though tbh.

young justice runner up. the new 52 dc animated movies have been pretty awful imo but i really liked tdkr and flashpoint.

Ashhong

spectacular spiderman is the best animated comic series to come out in a number of years though tbh.

young justice runner up. the new 52 dc animated movies have been pretty awful imo but i really liked tdkr and flashpoint.

I didn't really enjoy SSM. I prefer Amazing. Maybe that's because I wasn't a fan of the old art? Humor is ASM is better too

As a newcomer, I don't really watch it with any kind of expectations for certain heroes. Is that why the new movies are awful to you? Because they are pretty fun and enjoyable to me

well i thought superman was kind of a dick lol but aside from that i just think the animation has gone downhill and the films just end up being boring and feel really long despite only being a little over an hour in runtime.

duckroll

I think Marvel does good animated series, DC does way better animated movies, Marvel so far has done far better superhero live action films, but DC has far more distinctive visuals in their films.

In terms of comics, I would say that it's not so much about being grounded, but being relatable. Marvel's general style is that their heroes are humans, with flaws. and while they are stronger or smarter than the normal person, there is something that everyone can relate to. DC's general style is that their heroes are more than men, even if they are mortal. They tower above us, and we look up to them, like the Romans looked up to their gods. Different writers for both Marvel and DC determine how grounded actual stories are, or how fantastical. There are way out there Marvel stuff, and there are totally grounded DC stuff. But the different in tone I feel is that Marvel heroes are people you can have a drink with, DC heroes are people you worship or fear.

Ashhong

well i thought superman was kind of a dick lol but aside from that i just think the animation has gone downhill and the films just end up being boring and feel really long despite only being a little over an hour in runtime.

Superman is kind of a dick, I thought that was amusing lol. Batman also comes off as a way more interesting character, no wonder he has such a following.

I think Marvel does good animated series, DC does way better animated movies, Marvel so far has done far better superhero live action films, but DC has far more distinctive visuals in their films.

In terms of comics, I would say that it's not so much about being grounded, but being relatable. Marvel's general style is that their heroes are humans, with flaws. and while they are stronger or smarter than the normal person, there is something that everyone can relate to. DC's general style is that their heroes are more than men, even if they are mortal. They tower above us, and we look up to them, like the Romans looked up to their gods. Different writers for both Marvel and DC determine how grounded actual stories are, or how fantastical. There are way out there Marvel stuff, and there are totally grounded DC stuff. But the different in tone I feel is that Marvel heroes are people you can have a drink with, DC heroes are people you worship or fear.

This makes sense. I am a fan of the Godlike style. It just feels more exciting. Was not a fan of JL infinity though. I will have to stick to their movies

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Finished Throne of Atlantis today. I really like this DCAU, I hope content comes out fairly regularly. My favorites have been Hal and Shazam. I knew absolutely nothing about Shazam until WAR, and he's pretty cool.

I know I asked this before but I lost my post. Which other JL films are like this new DCAU? Also watched Public Enemies which was fun. I think people recommended Apocalypse? Maybe that will be next
Seriously just watch Bruce Timm's Justice League Animated Series. Much better than these New52 animated adaptations. If you haven't already, of course.

It's on Netflix BTW, if you have that. The entire show.

yeah justice league followed by jlu animated series is great. that entire run of bruce timm shows rocked. he gave so much to DC with his tenure.

Ashhong

Seriously just watch Bruce Timm's Justice League Animated Series. Much better than these New52 animated adaptations. If you haven't already, of course.

It's on Netflix BTW, if you have that. The entire show.

This will be my next watch, thanks. Started Unlimited (thought it was called Infinity) but didn't like it. I only gave it about 15 minutes though. Why is Green Arrow so ugly?

Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice are def. the top 2. I'd put Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes at 3. Easy to get turned off its art style at first, but it nails plenty of classic Marvel stories.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This will be my next watch, thanks. Started Unlimited (thought it was called Infinity) but didn't like it. I only gave it about 15 minutes though. Why is Green Arrow so ugly?

The art style is different, is not the mature, buffed up artstyle used in these new52 adaptations, which basically mimic the Young Justice style.

But it's a great show, they adapt some cool stories from the comics. Like Superman's For The Man Who Has Everything, plus it introduces really obscure characters like The Question and makes them awesome. That's the biggest reason why I like the show so much, they went deep into the DC well and took really obscure characters and gave them a spotlight.

Just read the RT score prediction thread, and it's full of the usual "everything about the movie looks terrible" hyperbole bullshit. I thought people would be slightly more positive now, but I guess not.

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are the main reasons I'm pro DC. Love the shows to death. They're also the reason Hawkgirl's my favourite character.

I enjoyed YJ too but not as much. Probably because Hawkgirl/woman had like one line in the entire show. Lol.

Yager

Banned
Just read the RT score prediction thread, and it's full of the usual "everything about the movie looks terrible" hyperbole bullshit. I thought people would be slightly more positive now, but I guess not.

This is Neogaf. Even if this was the best movie of the century, a lot of people would still call it a piece of shit, "this looks stupid, this looks dumb, bla bla bla". I just don't care anymore and won't bother trying to convince them, it's a lost battle.

Now mind you this is just some old 90's kid's perspective but if we're speaking strictly about animation DC wins in both shows and movies. There are just too many iconic DC cartoons shows to pick from, what with Super Friends, Batman TAS, Justice League, Young Justice etc. As for the DC animated movies, well they kinda speak for themselves. And not to say Marvel doesn't have any cartoon / animated movies. In fact, the 1994 Spider-Man cartoon was my favorite cartoon as a kid and is easily top 3 in my favorite comic book cartoons of all time. But aside from X-Men and Spider-Man, Marvel has not had historically the amount of success as DC in terms of cartoons. A big reason why I generally prefer DC over Marvel is because the superhero TV shows I grew up with revolved around DC characters. Also, for a long time they kind of built around their previous successes. Batman TAS led me to Justice League, which led me to Teen Titans which led me to Young Justice and everything in between. Hell I even enjoy Teen Titans Go! for what it is. Specifically what makes all these shows great are the different personalities, and personally I just find there is a greater number of DC characters I love than there are Marvel characters I love. Especially considering all the villains per respective property. So yeah, in my humble opinion DC superior in all realms of animation.

Now if Disney and WB could make love and not war for one day, I'd love to see something like this in an animated feature...

3ZOkm4Z.jpg

kurahador

Justice League Unlimited is actually Justice League season 3. They decided to rebrand it and for the team to have bigger rooster.

kmfdmpig

A lot of people have posted for years that they think it looks terrible. Even if the real reviews remain as positive as the early buzz has been they're not likely to change their minds now. As long as it's something most people like and it does well enough for the DC Universe to kick off (McWeeny's nonsense seems a bit silly at this point) then I'm not too worried about what they think.

Polarburr

Been seeing this in the SHH forums. Just curious, what is it exactly? Tickets sold or the actual $ figure?

Pre-sale update (times are local)

South Korea: (per http://kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/st...h&allMovieYn=Y)

2016-03-15 14:54 - 24,900 (estimate)
2016-03-17 03:12 - 38,624
2016-03-18 17:02 - 50,945
2016-03-19 16:48 - 58,138
2016-03-20 17:24 - 68,705
2016-03-21 17:27 - 90,514

China: (per http://www.gewara.com/movie/246339082)

2016-03-15 13:36 - 1,212
2016-03-17 02:12 - 10,399
2016-03-18 16:02 - 35,936
2016-03-19 15:48 - 61,468
2016-03-20 16:24 - 84,688
2016-03-21 16:27 - 114,092

Been seeing this in the SHH forums. Just curious, what is it exactly? Tickets sold or the actual $ figure?

I'd imagine its tix sold, not the dollar amount.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to watch the stream of the premiere but I only get audio both on firefox and chrome, any idea how I can fix this?

kmfdmpig

There was something similar in the Force Awakens thread and at the time it led people to believe that TFA would do quite well in China (it didn't), so I'd take these types of pre sales from China with a grain of salt.

It's pretty much just League & War and all the Batman films (& Son, Vs Robin, Bad Blood).

There's another movie coming out this year but it's more of a Titans film than Justice League.

If you like Shazam, check out his New 52 origin. It's a lot of fun and it feels more styled like a movie than a comic book.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching it through the DCComics website on Chrome and it works fine for me, not sure.

Nope, not working. I tried different browsers/OS and PCs but I only get a black screen with audio.

/E/: What video player is being used there anyway? It seems like there is a plugin issue, but no idea what plugin.

Another small bit of hype.

Christina Warren (@Film_Girl on twitter) who has not been a fan of Ben Affleck's casting at all was at the premiere last night. I asked if she could say what she thought of the film, and said not yet. So I jokingly replied "Like this tweet if you liked the film. :p" and she did, in fact, like that tweet.

I know. Big scoop.

Penguin

So debating going back to see it tonight.

I think would be an easier decision if it wasn't so late and wasn't already going to see it opening night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom