• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

While AoU was just pure trash I thought the first one was fun for the novelty of seeing super heroes together even if I do not think most of the team in the avengers are anything better than c tier heroes. I dont think both those movies were a particular high bar... but I know I am in the minority in that opinion. Now comments about it being better than TDK I am interested in..

That's where I'm at. The two avengers movies are just entertainment for me. I go in shut my mind off and just want to see action. Because the story is an afterthought in those movies honestly.

Ahasverus

While AoU was just pure trash I thought the first one was fun for the novelty of seeing super heroes together even if I do not think most of the team in the avengers are anything better than c tier heroes. I dont think both those movies were a particular high bar... but I know I am in the minority in that opinion. Now comments about it being better than TDK I am interested in..
I think it's a high bar to beat in mainstream acceptance. Avengers was not the best movie ever, but it resonated GREATLY with audiences, if this one can do that, the days of DC being the underdog are over.

IconGrist

Been seeing this getting passed around. Thought it was nice.

tumblr_o4cncgaMy91qc2k4vo1_1280.jpg

Boke1879

Still just saying people. Keep shit in check lol. That review thread could turn out to be shitshow and I legit fear for the sanity of some of you haha.

That said. A lot of us here are seeing the movie regardless. We've heard enough positive things from too many people for quite a bit now. Just go in and enjoy what you see.

I said the same thing regarding Star Wars when people were freaking out if it would be good right after people were giving positive reactions after the premiere.

Just go in try and forget anything anyone told about what you should or shouldn't like about the movie and judge it based on it's own merits.

Ahasverus

Still just saying people. Keep shit in check lol. That review thread could turn out to be shitshow and I legit fear for the sanity of some of you haha.

That said. A lot of us here are seeing the movie regardless. We've heard enough positive things from too many people for quite a bit now. Just go in and enjoy what you see.

I said the same thing regarding Star Wars when people were freaking out if it would be good right after people were giving positive reactions after the premiere.

Just go in try and forget anything anyone told about what you should or shouldn't like about the movie and judge it based on it's own merits.
Agreed. You know what is the personal bar to me regarding this movie? Watchmen. I think Watchmen (in its DC) low RT sore and all, is a very strong, powerful CBM, if I see this movie beating Watchmen in power and RT, if just by a 1%, I'll be satisfied, because even if it's not universally loved, I personally think it holds as much artistic value as such movie can hold. I don't dare to compare BvS to any of the Nolan trilogy because at the end of the day, they didn't wear the Comic badge on its forefront, not that it was a bad thing, in fact I thnk it worked in their favor, but BvS is a more difficult pill to swallow.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
While I want the movie to be good none of this indicates it will get a good RT score if that is what some people want lol. These are mostly just fans who enjoyed an exclusive screening.

I think it's a high bar to beat in mainstream acceptance. Avengers was not the best movie ever, but it resonated GREATLY with audiences, if this one can do that, the days of DC being the underdog are over.

Absolutely. There is no question Avengers has massive mainstream acceptance. That is why I said I am in the minority :) I get it though. It is important for DC to do something similar that greatly resonates with the audience as well.

JTripper

That's the plan, at least for me. It's fun to be part of the hype when good impressions emerge, but once I sit in that seat and the movie begins I leave all (or at least most) expectations behind and just try to experience the film for what it is for that first time.

I did that with Star Wars, had a wonderful theater experience, and came out of the theater with reasonable points to make rather than just walk out disappointed because it didn't satisfy my every expectation or need.

Ahasverus

Did you read it lol. 2/3 of it is random shit quoting Ben Affleck about how he wouldn't let his kids watch it.
Sincerely? no I didn't lol I copied it from SHH. As I know the spoilers and I love them I kinda don't care for reviews, but will watch out from now on.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Did you read it lol. 2/3 of it is random shit quoting Ben Affleck about how he wouldn't let his kids watch it.

I wonder which is more dangerous for a four year old to watch - this one or Batman and Robin.

Ahasverus

I wonder which is more dangerous for a four year old to watch - this one or Batman and Robin.
I was five when Batman & Robin came out. GOAT movie then. I actually convinced my grandma to rent it and watch it with me a few months later, and I MADE HER TELL ME that it was a good movie like "Grandma, did you like the movie? You liked it right? Tell me you liked it, it's obvious you did". Well, she did told me that, but now that I remember, the tone of her voice, it was the same you give to your children after they give you the molten playdoh vase with your name they made for you at school. RIP grandma.

duckroll

Sincerely? no I didn't lol I copied it from SHH. As I know the spoilers and I love them I kinda don't care for reviews, but will watch out from now on.

Haha.

This is the headline for the "review": Ben Affleck is treat for comic geeks in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice but his mini-fan son won't get film viewing

This is the sub-header below it: Star gets stamp of approval from DC crowd in New York but won't let 4-year-old watch movie

The Sun is tabloid shit btw. :)

Vyer

There's gotta be someone that doesn't like it, right??? This is eerie.

eh, I'm still wary of previews and early screenings. The environment for those types of things are usually a different experience. It's awesome to be in a packed theater with an excited crowd all there for the same thing.

Still good to see the positivity though.

IconGrist

Oh I know. Just strange that EVERY single thing we've heard has been positive.

There have been negative impressions they just get lost in the sea of positive ones. I've seen 3. One was pissed about the handling of a specific character. The second thought the story was weak and poorly paced. The third said Eisenberg ruined the movie.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If all this positivity is part of WBs meticulously crafted marketing strategy then they are exceptionally good at their job.

There have been negative impressions they just get lost in the sea of positive ones. I've seen 3. One was pissed about the handling of a specific character. The second thought the story was weak and poorly paced. The third said Eisenberg ruined the movie.
Ha. Thanks for keeping me in check. Needed that.

JTripper

There's 0 chance there won't be at least a few negative critic reviews even if the movie is very good. I hate bashing professional reviews and critics but I tend to almost NEVER align with their views when it comes to most comic book movies.

Boke1879

Oh I know. Just strange that EVERY single thing we've heard has been positive.

True and I know people say early impressions are generally positive. I do think most people will come out of this movie with a positive attitude. It's just a feeling I get.

jackdoe

If all this positivity is part of WBs meticulously crafted marketing strategy then they are exceptionally good at their job.
Well yeah. After tonight's early fan screenings, hundreds of fans will have reactions to the film. And their voices will far outnumber the amount of critics who will actually review the film. So even if the film gets divisive critical review, which I think it will, the very positive word of mouth will overshadow any negativity.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
True and I know people say early impressions are generally positive. I do think most people will come out of this movie with a positive attitude. It's just a feeling I get.
Yeah. Whatever this emotional conclusion is to the film was a smart move.

Anth0ny

Been seeing this getting passed around. Thought it was nice.

why does it have to be one or the other lol

fanboys are so weird

and I really don't think it'll be better than Avengers, but I hold that movie to a super high standard. It it can even come close to making me feel how I felt while watching that movies I'd be SUPER pleased :)

How many fan screenings are lined up? I'm just trying to get a rough idea of how many fans are gonna be actually seeing it tomorrow.

Each IMAX theater probably holds 300+, so I imagine it's in the thousands actually seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom