• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

lmao that comment section

Some people really want this movie to fail.

What a sad bunch of people lol.

People keep bringing up early reactions to Fantastic Four but there weren't that many positive ones and there were a bunch of red flags about it ahead of time. I don't feel the comparison applies.

But who is to say? You can only know based on what you've seen. I was told Rises was an epic end to a trilogy and then I ended up hating that movie. Guardians is often touted as the best of the MCU and I thought its ending soured the rest of the movie. I'm told Man of Steel is garbage and it's in my Top 5 all-time favorite CBM movies. I find Green Lantern to be perfectly watchable. Superman Returns is down there with Superman IV as one of the worst offerings available.

Everyone's tastes are different. To someone out there Fantastic Four is one of the best. Their opinion is no better or worse than yours or mine.

Other than Rises, we're spot on for everything.

a916

If I remember correctly he wasn't too hot on Man of Steel at first and it's only recently that he started appreciating the movie a little bit more. He never hated it but he was lukewarm on it so his reaction to BvS should be interesting. Although, he seems to have a burning passion for Doomsday for some strange reason so that may be enough for him to love the movie no matter what.

Yeah, he had the same issue as some of the reviewers did. Not mah Superman. He said he went in with this vision in his head, the Reeve's Superman. When it didn't, he was like, what the hell is this.

He's gone on record to say everytime he watches it, he likes it more and more. Something that I've heard quite a few people say.

Ashhong

Man Reeves superman was really iconic eh? I have never even seen it but it's all people talk about when discussing superman movies

IconGrist

Man Reeves superman was really iconic eh? I have never even seen it but it's all people talk about when discussing superman movies

For its time it was amazing but nowadays I don't think it holds up. That interpretation anyway. The first 2 movies are still quality but I find II to be super corny. The Donner cut was much better.

Those films haven't aged super well at all in terms of action and such. But they really did do some great character stuff, and Reeves is great.

Boke1879

Well I don't think there is much to pick from as far as Superman movies go. And Reeves was the first a lot of us were introduced to. I would say Reeves was the idealized view of Superman.

Ashhong

Yea from all I've read I can see why people loved it back then and why it's so hard for them to accept a different version. These movies seem to be about as different and humanly possible from those

The first one is really good, still one of the best superhero films in my opinion but some elements are probably not going to hold up if you watch it for the first time in 2016. Still worth it for Reeves, Margot Kidder, Gene Hackman and the John Williams score.

Not necessarily a popular opinion but even though it's still very beloved, you should skip Superman 2, it doesn't have the charm of the original and the fight scenes will put you to sleep.

It's Christopher Reeve, no "S" at the end. The only Reeves Superman is George Reeves. Just sayin'.

Also, if you ask me, Superman I and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut are excellent films. Superman II theatrical version is okay, III, and IV...not so much. Superman Returns is good.

I love Man of Steel more and more every time I watch it. I always liked it, though.

Superman 1 is great until the ending.

Even seeing it as an 8 year old, I thought "That's fucking bullshit" when Superman saves the day by spinning the world backwards and reversing time.

IconGrist

It's Christopher Reeve, no "S" at the end. The only Reeves Superman is George Reeves. Just sayin'.

Also, if you ask me, Superman I and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut are excellent films. Superman II theatrical version is okay, III, and IV...not so much. Superman Returns is good.

I love Man of Steel more and more every time I watch it. I always liked it, though.

True story, I don't think Superman III is terrible. I wouldn't put it on any Top 10 or even 20 (possibly 30) lists but I can sit through it just fine. It has some good moments.

Superman III has its moments, but a lot of the movie doesn't make much sense, including the timeline of events. It also felt more like it was about Richard Pryor than Superman throughout a lot of it.

How does Richard Pryor go from knowing nothing about computers, to becoming a master hacker, to designing the world's most powerful super computer, in just a few days?

IconGrist

Superman III has its moments, but a lot of the movie doesn't make much sense, including the timeline of events. It also felt more like it was about Richard Pryor than Superman throughout a lot of it.

How does Richard Pryor go from knowing nothing about computers, to becoming a master hacker, to designing the world's most powerful super computer, in just a few days?

Lol, yea the story is chock full of really dumbass shit like that.

The original idea that Donner had for a third Superman movie was to bring in Brainiac and Supergirl.

Instead we got Richard Pryor becoming a computer genius out of nowhere, and a bad Supergirl movie.

I remember liking superman 3 as a kid. That cyborg lady at the end gave me nightmares though

I remember her being creepy as a kid, but...she just looks goofy now.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
12hoursremain__banner-auto-cropping.jpg

I should've stayed home from work today

I remember liking superman 3 as a kid. That cyborg lady at the end gave me nightmares though

Same here. The transformation scene was frightening. Her zombie walk was scary too. It's been years since I've watched it, but I liked the scene where the cherry slurpee boils over and melts the ground. I thought it looked cool.

To those who plan to watch Man of Steel again, if you don't mind the guys at Collider, I would suggest having their commentary on in the background. I did it last week and it was a pretty good experience.

IconGrist

To those who plan to watch Man of Steel again, if you don't mind the guys at Collider, I would suggest having their commentary on in the background. I did it last week and it was a pretty good experience.

I watched it without having the movie on because I'm a weirdo.

Boke1879

I'm so happy we won't have to defend this film, it will do the work itself.

I'll say this. People who already hate this film and have formed an opinion of it before seeing it will still probably hate it after seeing it or won't see it regardless but still parrot around someone else's impressions.

But I do think WOM will be good for the most part. Of course people will have their issues with certain aspects of the movie but I think overall people will be pretty positive of this movie.

IconGrist

I'm so happy we won't have to defend this film, it will do the work itself.

Well you've put in plenty of time defending the movie already. Some people just don't like these types of movies or don't like this particular approach to these movies or just don't like the color blue for whatever reason. Leave it be, lol. If you enjoy the movie when you see it that is literally all that matters. I've been in more BvS arguments than I can count but I've never once defended its quality. Only corrected misinformation. It's pointless to do anything else. Hell, it's kind of pointless to argue about it at all but it's natural.

First official review! :D .. in spanish
http://www.milenio.com/firmas/alvar...Hombre_de_acero-Ben_Affleck_18_705109492.html
"We're before something strong, powerful, perfect". The man is crazy about the movie, says it's one of the biggest movie events on his 29 years of career as a critic.
Damn, the dude loved it. He said it's "The best comic book movie to date." I definetly think this is just the rantings of a fanboy and I'm sure he is being a bit hyperbolic but dang... The Hype rises!

Boke1879

Damn, the dude loved it. He said it's "The best comic book movie to date." I definetly think this is just the rantings of a fanboy and I'm sure he is being a bit hyperbolic but dang... The Hype rises!

Yea saying stuff like that is probably going above and beyond, but even still we've heard enough positive impressions for like a week or so now. Some negative ones, but overall consensus I think will be to go see the movie.

Ahasverus

If you guys want to deflate your hype and read a incoherently written pile of crap, here you go: (the comments are typical GAF stuff too)

http://jezebel.com/henry-cavills-press-tour-for-batman-v-superman-has-been-1765323349
Telling a person to shut up, some nice journalism there. Gawker gonna Gawker,

What is this shit?
Besides his looks, there is absolutely nothing particularly good, likable, or substantive about Cavill, the man. He spends interviews going on and on about his hot teenage girlfriend, fully admits that he got into acting for the money and not the craft, has a hard time understanding sexism, and—most puzzlingly—weighed in on the #OscarsSoWhite debate by suggesting that enforced diversity is, in its own way racist. His public persona is just isn’t jiving—which is why it’s been so much fun to watch him crash and burn harder and hotter than the planet Krypton.
We judging people personally now? Get the fuck out of here.

IconGrist

a916

It's jezebel man

I've quickly starting to learn just how terribly written that website is... RIP Gawker though, can't get Kotaku away from that garbage fast enough.

Comment sections:

Blah blah blah, movie will suck, Cavill has no talent, this movie will be worse than F4... can't believe there are idiots like this on this planet that really honestly believe this movie is trending in the direction of worse than F4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom